• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on April 24, 2023, 12:12:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxRNw6G97mw

:thumbsup:  Better movement and athleticism than either Emil or Joe. Good feet too. Seems to ba able to run the floor as well. Why is he leaving WMU?

VUGrad1314

Lest we forget "not being like everyone else" is precisely how Valpo built itself from a perennial doormat into an MVC member in 25 years' time.

1. The school decided to "Not be like everyone else" and stuck with Homer when he was showing signs of life locally on the recruiting trail.

2. Bryce decided to "not be like everyone else" and shun the bright glamorous lights of Duke Syracuse and Indiana to stay home and play for his dad at Valpo.

3. Valpo as a whole decided to "not be like everyone else' and adopt international recruiting as a core strategy to bring in talent. This resulted in the commitments of many who we now consider among the best to ever put on a Valpo uniform.

So yes I hope Roger is trying to "not be like everyone else" and create his own culture because I trust him to build a solid one. When Mark Few speaks glowingly of you as a prospective coach you know you must be doing things right. It may take some time and the process of getting there may be ugly at first but we're going to be good again. Very good. And I can't wait. Because on the MVC stage if we have a team that ranks among the best in our school's history, that is going to matter. It will pay off in rankings tournament bids tournament wins. We will see what the benefits of MVC membership were all along. All it takes is someone to unlock the obvious and vast potential of this program. I believe we have the man to do just that in Roger Powell. Get excited Valpo fans. It's just a matter of time.

IndyValpo

Quote from: tiny707 on April 24, 2023, 11:49:39 AM
I agree with WH. Re-establishes the Bosco Institute connection. Roger will make him better. We have seven slots to fill. Probably an upgrade from Emil and Joe. His coach at Von Steuben High School likes Roger. I think his brother plays for Dee Brown at Roosevelt. Nice to get a Chicago kid with upside.
Make it two and get Kobe Knox from Grand Canyon.

tiny707

Love Kobe Knox from GCU...

valpopal

Nice coincidence that local (Gary) All-Area guard Ash Williamson re-opened his recruitment at the same time Powell was hired. Could be a good addition.
[tweet]1643998570100432896[/tweet]

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on April 24, 2023, 07:59:33 PM
Nice coincidence that local (Gary) All-Area guard Ash Williamson re-opened his recruitment at the same time Powell was hired. Could be a good addition.

NotBryceDrew

Despite some early interest from big time programs he only had offers from New Orleans and Tennessee st....

tjjvalpo

Being snubbed by big time programs could some great fuel to his success with Coach Powell motivating him. There once was a Laporte High School player by the name of Greg Tonagel that got snubbed by Purdue/Indiana and he had pretty good career at Valpo.

chgovalpofan

Nelson to Fort Wayne??

Maybe I'm missing something but that's seems like a strange move.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on April 24, 2023, 08:20:42 PM
Quote from: valpopal on April 24, 2023, 07:59:33 PM

This tweet tells me that he had committed (verbally) somewhere. Did I miss something?

valpopal

Ola Ajiboye, who visited Valpo, will announce his commitment decision later this afternoon.

tiny707

I don't see that we have offered Ola Ajiboye on Verbal Committs?

valpo64

Not seeing published that we have made offers is of no surprise, or shouldn't be.  VU has always kept close to the vest any athletic announcements, including not issuing a press release of hiring assistant coaches.  I would guess that VU has made a number of offers that we know nothing about, at least at this time.  It seems like most offer announcements have come from tweets, etc. by the player in question.

crusader05

yeah, especially with the portal it seems like this year at least the whole announcing of offers and putting things out there is way less. I heard no offers for Ben prior to his commitment to Iowa but there's no way that he wasn't getting flooded with them.

vok22

Same with Newman. I heard his final three from an inside source, but never saw anything public. And no Valpo was not one of them. In fact I was told they never even offered him. Hearsay though. 

crusader05

Doesn't surprise me they didn't offer if they had a sense early they weren't an option. That feels like it was much more a fan base forced theory than anything with any smoke from the team or university.

VULB#62

Per Paul's Twitter account, Cam to Canasius.  Buffalo is a lot farther from Wisconsin. 😳  The snow there  in incredible.  The Griffins are, with Niagara, the furthest west in the MAAC — lots of long bus rides to Iona, Manhattan and Quinippiac, et. al. 

https://twitter.com/TVBOren/status/1652011919430041610?s=20

vu84v2

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 29, 2023, 08:01:19 AM
Per Paul's Twitter account, Cam to Canasius.  Buffalo is a lot farther from Wisconsin. 😳  The snow there  in incredible.  The Griffins are, with Niagara, the furthest west in the MAAC — lots of long bus rides to Iona, Manhattan and Quinippiac, et. al. 

https://twitter.com/TVBOren/status/1652011919430041610?s=20

I don't quite understand why, but several MAAC programs are recruiting heavily in Wisconsin (Canisius, Albany).

cornonthe

Preston Ruedinger to Green Bay and Maximus Nelson to San Francisco...

valpopal

DaJion Humphrey, who was offered by VU under Lottich in January, has committed to Bowling Green.

vu72

Quote from: cornonthe on April 30, 2023, 02:46:57 PM

Maximus committed to Fort Wayne.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

Quote from: vu72 on April 30, 2023, 03:19:31 PM

I see the problem.  Max posted he was a Don.  The FW mastaDon.  Not the San Fran Don's.

cornonthe

Quote from: talksalot on April 30, 2023, 03:59:51 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 30, 2023, 03:19:31 PM

I see the problem.  Max posted he was a Don.  The FW mastaDon.  Not the San Fran Don's.

Ohhhhhhhhhh...lol!!!