• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader05

vok22

Averaged half a point per game and only played in 11 games. Was he injured or what is the story there?

crusader05

He was recruited by the old coach I believe. He and another freshman who were  commits prior to Prohm coming in both entered the portal after this season. Could just be that they didn't fit his style or got shoved down the bench by all the older transfers he brought in.

David81

Like I've been saying, next season is like being an expansion team. And if Jaxon Edwards is one of those guys at the end of someone else's bench who can't wait to show what he can do, then he has a golden opportunity at Valpo.

We have no real idea how this team will perform. This could be fun.

VULB#62

6-6, 195#, freshman according to the MSU 2022-23 MBB roster. Clips show a kid who is quite athletic, can leap and is active under the basket. Played a total of 29 minutes (third fewest on the team), appearing in 11 games.

crusader05

Did some lurking on the Racer's board and it seems they're divided between people who think that Prohm's refusal to play Edwards and another freshman because he stuck to his 7 man rotation is what led to players with potential leaving prematurely  and those that are deferring to the coaches' decision

justducky

Quote from: David81 on May 09, 2023, 03:45:26 PMWe have no real idea how this team will perform. This could be fun.

Yes it could be fun or it could be torture. I will start laughing out or screaming out my early takes come November. Until then I don't really have a clue.  ???

tiny707

Played with Isaiah Stafford at Cathedral in 2021. Won a state championship at Cathedral in 2022. Great for team chemistry. Maybe Isaiah helping us recruit...

VULB#62

Quote from: tiny707 on May 09, 2023, 05:26:46 PM
Played with Isaiah Stafford at Cathedral in 2021. Won a state championship at Cathedral in 2022. Great for team chemistry. Maybe Isaiah helping us recruit...

Stafford's  USI bio said he played at Crispus Attucks.  ???  Regardless, Edwards did win a state championship at Cathedral.  :thumbsup:

wh

Before I express my excitement over landing Jaxon, I need to condemn Murray coach Prohm. He played Jaxon a total of 29 minutes in 30+ games. Our walk-ons probably got more playing time than that. If you have a freshman who you feel isn't ready to play, show some leadership and red shirt him. Instead, he literally robbed him of a year of eligibility for absolutely no purpose. The good part is Jaxon is out of there and will soon be with coaches who will care about his well-being, develop his skill set, and put him in a position to be successful. Instead of being ignored, he will be embraced, supported, and elevated. I am thrilled that Jaxon is a Beacon - a total win-win. Congrats Jaxon!

tiny707

Yeah, my bad 62. Jaxon and Isaiah competed against each other in 2021 so know each other from that. When Cathedral beat Crispus Attucks in 2021, Jaxon was high scorer for Cathedral with 17 points and Isaiah was high scorer for Crispus Attucks at 17 points.

David81

Quote from: justducky on May 09, 2023, 04:11:02 PM
Quote from: David81 on May 09, 2023, 03:45:26 PMWe have no real idea how this team will perform. This could be fun.

Yes it could be fun or it could be torture. I will start laughing out or screaming out my early takes come November. Until then I don't really have a clue.  ???

That's the fun of it right now. The wondering how this will unfold. After a late start and losing the team's best player and top recruit, can these coaches cobble together a competitive team, hopefully with some hidden gems for another season or two? Can Valpo join other mid-majors who have played well in Year 1 of a new coaching staff and a new roster?

Also, what recruiting news will we be hearing about 2024-25? By this time next year, we'll know a lot about the recruiting chops of this coaching group, including incoming frosh and working the transfer portal.

I hear Carly Simon singing "Anticipation," though it may help some to be in a sort of Zen peaceful state of letting it happen. 🤣

historyman

Quote from: wh on May 09, 2023, 06:43:17 PM
Before I express my excitement over landing Jaxon, I need to condemn Murray coach Prohm. He played Jaxon a total of 29 minutes in 30+ games. Our walk-ons probably got more playing time than that. If you have a freshman who you feel isn't ready to play, show some leadership and red shirt him. Instead, he literally robbed him of a year of eligibility for absolutely no purpose. The good part is Jaxon is out of there and will soon be with coaches who will care about his well-being, develop his skill set, and put him in a position to be successful. Instead of being ignored, he will be embraced, supported, and elevated. I am thrilled that Jaxon is a Beacon - a total win-win. Congrats Jaxon!

And even worse:

Murray State ----   

The student body is 62.95% female and 37.06% male. Our students are residents of 48 states. We have 401 international students from 45 countries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Murray+State+Male%2FFemale+ratio&sxsrf=APwXEdcKyOKfgTXZzGrqvZXGKk1O1_eYZA%3A1683693882532&source=hp&ei=OiFbZKOYHpinptQPg5GC4As&iflsig=AOEireoAAAAAZFsvSonZqlNjT70R84eBZSzx4LVzh5yt&ved=0ahUKEwijnZu--On-AhWYk4kEHYOIALwQ4dUDCAs&uact=5&oq=Murray+State+Male%2FFemale+ratio&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQghEKABMgUIIRCrAjIFCCEQqwIyBQghEJIDMgUIIRCSAzIFCCEQkgMyBQghEJIDMgUIIRCSAzIFCCEQkgM6BAgjECc6BwgjEIoFECc6CAgAEIoFEJECOggILhCKBRCRAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQ0QM6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOgsILhCKBRCxAxCDAToOCC4QigUQxwEQrwEQkQI6CgguEIAEEBQQhwI6BQgAEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoLCC4QigUQ1AIQkQI6DQguEIAEEBQQhwIQ1AI6DQguEIAEEBQQhwIQsQM6CAguENQCEIAEOgsIABCKBRCxAxCDAToICC4QigUQsQM6CwguEIAEEMcBEK8BOggILhCABBCxAzoQCC4QFBCHAhDUAhCxAxCABDoOCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQ1AI6CwguENQCELEDEIAEOgsILhCvARDHARCABDoLCC4QgAQQsQMQ1AI6CwguEIMBELEDEIAEOggILhCxAxCABDoKCAAQgAQQFBCHAjoFCC4QgAQ6CwgAEBYQHhDxBBAKOgYIABAWEB46CAgAEIYDEIsDOggIIRAWEB4QHVAAWNGYAmDmpwJoAHAAeACAAXiIAfsWkgEFMTYuMTSYAQCgAQG4AQI&sclient=gws-wiz

Pretty damning isn't it, wh?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

AlaskaCrusader19

Ibra Bayu transferring per PO's Twitter

vu72

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on May 11, 2023, 12:38:34 PM
Ibra Bayu transferring per PO's Twitter

I think this is terrible news. Ibra needed coaching to develop a shot but, He was easily one of the most athletic players to even lace them up at Valpo.  Perhaps the writing was on the wall relative to incoming players and his role going forward.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vok22

I'm hoping that this means somebody with some real oomph is transferring in at his position. I thought he could be a starter and really thrive in this system. Perhaps he was told there wouldn't be much time available.

humbleopinion

I'm not terribly upset about this transfer.

As much as Ibra demonstrated athleticism, his lack of maturity and volatility was a detriment this past year -- he did not represent the team and university well on the court.  I'm not sure how much of that could be cured by coaching even over the long run. Although I don't know how he performed in practice and off of the court, but his attitude could have required a great deal of coaching time that can be used more productively.
Beamin' Beacons

JD24

There was nobody on that roster left that should be considered a problem leaving in the transfer portal.

Chairback

This will be interesting where he ends up academically.

June is going to be a really good month.  It's going to get really really good.   

crusader05

What happens in June? NBA workouts are over and those that are in the portal and the draft make their call?

wh

Well, chairback, unless you have a crystal ball next to your recliner, I'm assuming you've heard something from the inner sanctum. Sounds hopeful. Thanks for sharing.

'05, good thought about undrafted players returning. I think I read something about June 12th as the key date here.

AB

Water under the bridge, but would love to know the real story on Ibra. After he has gone through some workouts with Powell, what happened? He obviously flashed a lot of athleticism and prolly should have played more. He reminded me of a poor man's Shawn Kemp in terms of the rawness, leaping ability and contortionist moves in the air.
In fact, how would we have compared Ibra to Vashil at the same time?
Total makeover/rebuild this year!!

vok22

The real story on Ibra is that he wasn't serious and showed up late to practice late and coach said "What are you doing here" . Wasn't taking it seriously. Call it here-say but I heard it from a close source.

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on May 11, 2023, 06:07:51 PM
What happens in June? NBA workouts are over and those that are in the portal and the draft make their call?

Here's a wild guess on 1 player who declared for the NBA draft that could end up at Valpo:

Gonzaga's Malachi Smith declares for 2023 NBA Draft
The redshirt junior spent one season in Spokane
COLE FORSMANAPR 12, 2023 5:17 PM EDT

• Played 1 year at Gonzaga; 1 year of eligibility remaining
• West Coast Conference 6th Man of the Year 54%FG, 50%3FG (45-90)
• "Smith was by far Gonzaga's most efficient guard during the NCAA Tournament. He shot 57.1% from the field and 55.6% from deep during the Zags' run to the Elite Eight."
• 2021-22 Southern Conference POY
• 2021-22 Chattanooga 19.9 PPG, 50%FG, 41%3FG
Home town - Belleville, IL
• Would be an immediate candidate for MVC POY IMO
https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/basketball/gonzagas-malachi-smith-declares-for-2023-nba-draft

wh

Another wild guess Gonzaga transfer:

Julian Strawther, 6-7 junior guard: Strawther declared for the 2023 NBA Draft on April 11. Gonzaga Nation recently surveyed three NBA front office executives about Strawther's NBA readiness, and the analysis was mixed.

15.2 PPG 47%FG 41%3FG
Another immediate MVC POY candidate