• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Well Krikke is for sure transferring now with the Matt Lottich firing.

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 23, 2023, 04:17:10 PM
If you follow Verbal Commits on twitter you will see that Valpo has been very busy contacting potential transfers. No guarantee we get anyone but we are certainly looking.
This post didn't age well!

vu72

1051 transfers in and (knock on wood) Valpo, at two, is doing better than many in the Valley.   Evansville is in free fall with 8, while Belmont and UIC sit with 4.  Only SIU is doing better with only one while 5 other teams have 3.  I noticed that even Bryce losses key guys as a kid who scored 16 against Gonzaga is now in the portal.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on March 28, 2023, 11:15:13 AM
1051 transfers in and (knock on wood) Valpo, at two, is doing better than many in the Valley.   Evansville is in free fall with 8, while Belmont and UIC sit with 4.  Only SIU is doing better with only one while 5 other teams have 3.  I noticed that even Bryce losses key guys as a kid who scored 16 against Gonzaga is now in the portal.

The amount of talent overhaul we need, is stark. Personally I never want people to transfer, but guys C Barret & others are borderline or questionable MVC caliber talent. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the less talented guys leave for the portal.

Obviously you want to keep some glue guys and there is a need for role players, but I'm not opposed the coaches getting grad transfers to fill out the roster for this upcoming season.

JD24

Quote from: VU2014 on March 28, 2023, 12:09:37 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 28, 2023, 11:15:13 AM1051 transfers in and (knock on wood) Valpo, at two, is doing better than many in the Valley.   Evansville is in free fall with 8, while Belmont and UIC sit with 4.  Only SIU is doing better with only one while 5 other teams have 3.  I noticed that even Bryce losses key guys as a kid who scored 16 against Gonzaga is now in the portal.
The amount of talent overhaul we need, is stark. Personally I never want people to transfer, but guys C Barret & others are borderline or questionable MVC caliber talent. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the less talented guys leave for the portal. Obviously you want to keep some glue guys and there is a need for role players, but I'm not opposed the coaches getting grad transfers to fill out the roster for this upcoming season.
With the assumption that Krikke leaves and King is out of eligibility, the entire roster can leave as far as I'm concerned. There's little there aside from the "occasional flash" guys which will be available in the portal anyway. There should be no concern about "jelling" because the current bunch left needs more than to simply jell.

David81

Assuming Krikke is gone, among the top returning players (as of now), only Nelson showed clear promise, however erratic, of growing into a quality starter for a winning team. The rest are either question marks, lesser rotation/role players, or pure roster depth. It wouldn't hurt if any random grouping of 3-4 guys currently on the roster entered the portal.

Next year's group could look like an expansion team, but without a 1st round pick to start things off. That said, if the HC choice is a good one, then a talented upperclassman buried deep at the end of a P5 bench, a standout D2 player looking for that D1 chance to shine, or a super-promising JC guy who wants to play right away, should consider Valpo.

VU75

Ragland apparently didn't like the roster he inherited as  Evansville has nine in the portal.

vu72

Marcus Domask is in the portal!  The Valley is going to look very deferent next year with four of the six first teamers departing, so far!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

tiny707

I see Marcus Domask going to Wisconsin. They need shooters desperately.

David81

Hey, can I get some insights from those of you who follow all levels of college hoops? I'm looking at the Indiana Wesleyan 2022-23 roster (Greg Tonagel's NAIA school), and their roster includes a sprinkling of big men, including a 7-footer who started and led the team in scoring.

https://iwuwildcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2022-23

How close are the best NAIA players to D1 caliber? Are we talking mega light years difference -- as in Not Even Close -- or possibly something close to standout D2 players?

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: David81 on March 30, 2023, 06:41:55 PM
Hey, can I get some insights from those of you who follow all levels of college hoops? I'm looking at the Indiana Wesleyan 2022-23 roster (Greg Tonagel's NAIA school), and their roster includes a sprinkling of big men, including a 7-footer who started and led the team in scoring.

How close are the best NAIA players to D1 caliber? Are we talking mega light years difference -- as in Not Even Close -- or possibly something close to standout D2 players?
Indiana Wesleyan has had some really good players under Tonagel. Kyle Mangas from Warsaw was the best he's had, and he definitely could've been a rotation guy at Valpo. As a whole, though, I wouldn't think that there are more than 1-2 players on that roster capable of seeing a Division I rotation.

valpo64

There is a report out that New St. John's Coach, Rick Pitino said he could bring in as many as 8 new players for next season as the number of current players hit the portal.  I think that is what you call a fresh start.

VULB#62

He's adopting the Coach Prime philosophy.  :lol:

FWalum

• Quote from: David81 on March 30, 2023, 06:41:55 PM

[/q]

In my time as an NAIA coach, we had several players that could have started for 70% of DI teams and many others that could have been on DI rosters. In many cases there were circumstances, including grades, mental health, legal, homesickness and other serious issues that caused a DI to not offer a scholarship or release a player. Examples:
Young man, who as a freshman at a DII school, was the leading scorer when his team beat a P5 team in an exhibition game. Got caught up in a legal issue and was accused of stealing at this school. Head coach told us that he believed this young man was not involved but was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 6'4" with a Steph Curry type build, best pure shooter I have personally coached. Was a model citizen for us and graduated with a business degree. Went on to be the MVP of a second tier European League then moved up and had a very good career in the German A league.

Player that was on Ohio First Team as a senior, second in voting to Lebron James for Ohio Mr. Baskketball, had a full ride to USC but never made it on the roster because he came back home after a short time in California. Went JUCO in Ohio and was the league MVP, but stopped going to class after the BB season. We agreed to give him a second chance but he had to sit a year to get his credits straighten out. Played one season with us and was our leading scorer and first team all conference. Verbally abused a professor after receiving a lower than expected grade in a class and was released from the school. He went on to play two years at another NAIA program and played in Europe.

Major Indianapolis HS player that was released by a P5 team because of some behavior issues. Head Coach (initials BP) vouched for him and hoped that he could get himself straightened out closer to home with the hope of returning to his team. Was a very strong physical player with tons of potential.... however, his behavior issues turned out to be a drug problem.

Super athletic player who I believe had a depression problem, played according to his mood. One game he was an all american, disappeared completely the next game. Went on to play in the G-League for a couple of years and then professionally around the world in countries such as  Israel, Thailand, Hong Kong & throughout China. Was a super star in Hong Kong and now has a basketball academy there.

So to answer your question, there are DI players at the NAIA level and Greg has had his share of them.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

David81

Quote from: FWalum on March 31, 2023, 01:49:39 PM

• Quote from: David81 on March 30, 2023, 06:41:55 PM

[/q]

In my time as an NAIA coach, we had several players that could have started for 70% of DI teams and many others that could have been on DI rosters. In many cases there were circumstances, including grades, mental health, legal, homesickness and other serious issues that caused a DI to not offer a scholarship or release a player. Examples:
Young man, who as a freshman at a DII school, was the leading scorer when his team beat a P5 team in an exhibition game. Got caught up in a legal issue and was accused of stealing at this school. Head coach told us that he believed this young man was not involved but was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 6'4" with a Steph Curry type build, best pure shooter I have personally coached. Was a model citizen for us and graduated with a business degree. Went on to be the MVP of a second tier European League then moved up and had a very good career in the German A league.

Player that was on Ohio First Team as a senior, second in voting to Lebron James for Ohio Mr. Baskketball, had a full ride to USC but never made it on the roster because he came back home after a short time in California. Went JUCO in Ohio and was the league MVP, but stopped going to class after the BB season. We agreed to give him a second chance but he had to sit a year to get his credits straighten out. Played one season with us and was our leading scorer and first team all conference. Verbally abused a professor after receiving a lower than expected grade in a class and was released from the school. He went on to play two years at another NAIA program and played in Europe.

Major Indianapolis HS player that was released by a P5 team because of some behavior issues. Head Coach (initials BP) vouched for him and hoped that he could get himself straightened out closer to home with the hope of returning to his team. Was a very strong physical player with tons of potential.... however, his behavior issues turned out to be a drug problem.

Super athletic player who I believe had a depression problem, played according to his mood. One game he was an all american, disappeared completely the next game. Went on to play in the G-League for a couple of years and then professionally around the world in countries such as  Israel, Thailand, Hong Kong & throughout China. Was a super star in Hong Kong and now has a basketball academy there.

So to answer your question, there are DI players at the NAIA level and Greg has had his share of them.

Thanks very much for that response, FWalum.

So...in a fair number of instances, we're talking individual circumstances and issues more than talent as the differences between the college level at which a young man might be playing.

I don't know what the transfer rules are between NAIA and NCAA D1, but it does sound as if a mid-major like VU could discover some diamonds in the rough at NAIA schools.

JD24

• Quote from: David81 on March 30, 2023, 06:41:55 PMHey, can I get some insights from those of you who follow all levels of college hoops? I'm looking at the Indiana Wesleyan 2022-23 roster (Greg Tonagel's NAIA school), and their roster includes a sprinkling of big men, including a 7-footer who started and led the team in scoring. [/q][/q]
https://iwuwildcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2022-23 How close are the best NAIA players to D1 caliber? Are we talking mega light years difference -- as in Not Even Close -- or possibly something close to standout D2 players? In my time as an NAIA coach, we had several players that could have started for 70% of DI teams and many others that could have been on DI rosters. In many cases there were circumstances, including grades, mental health, legal, homesickness and other serious issues that caused a DI to not offer a scholarship or release a player. Examples: Young man, who as a freshman at a DII school, was the leading scorer when his team beat a P5 team in an exhibition game. Got caught up in a legal issue and was accused of stealing at this school. Head coach told us that he believed this young man was not involved but was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 6'4" with a Steph Curry type build, best pure shooter I have personally coached. Was a model citizen for us and graduated with a business degree. Went on to be the MVP of a second tier European League then moved up and had a very good career in the German A league. Player that was on Ohio First Team as a senior, second in voting to Lebron James for Ohio Mr. Baskketball, had a full ride to USC but never made it on the roster because he came back home after a short time in California. Went JUCO in Ohio and was the league MVP, but stopped going to class after the BB season. We agreed to give him a second chance but he had to sit a year to get his credits straighten out. Played one season with us and was our leading scorer and first team all conference. Verbally abused a professor after receiving a lower than expected grade in a class and was released from the school. He went on to play two years at another NAIA program and played in Europe. Major Indianapolis HS player that was released by a P5 team because of some behavior issues. Head Coach (initials BP) vouched for him and hoped that he could get himself straightened out closer to home with the hope of returning to his team. Was a very strong physical player with tons of potential.... however, his behavior issues turned out to be a drug problem. Super athletic player who I believe had a depression problem, played according to his mood. One game he was an all american, disappeared completely the next game. Went on to play in the G-League for a couple of years and then professionally around the world in countries such as  Israel, Thailand, Hong Kong & throughout China. Was a super star in Hong Kong and now has a basketball academy there. So to answer your question, there are DI players at the NAIA level and Greg has had his share of them.
Very nice answer.

But also points out that players in these circumstances wouldn't be helpful to Valpo.

FWalum

Quote from: JD24 on March 31, 2023, 08:57:50 PM
  • Quote from: David81 on March 30, 2023, 06:41:55 PMHey, can I get some insights from those of you who follow all levels of college hoops? I'm looking at the Indiana Wesleyan 2022-23 roster (Greg Tonagel's NAIA school), and their roster includes a sprinkling of big men, including a 7-footer who started and led the team in scoring. [/q][/q]
https://iwuwildcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2022-23 How close are the best NAIA players to D1 caliber? Are we talking mega light years difference -- as in Not Even Close -- or possibly something close to standout D2 players? In my time as an NAIA coach, we had several players that could have started for 70% of DI teams and many others that could have been on DI rosters. In many cases there were circumstances, including grades, mental health, legal, homesickness and other serious issues that caused a DI to not offer a scholarship or release a player. Examples: Young man, who as a freshman at a DII school, was the leading scorer when his team beat a P5 team in an exhibition game. Got caught up in a legal issue and was accused of stealing at this school. Head coach told us that he believed this young man was not involved but was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 6'4" with a Steph Curry type build, best pure shooter I have personally coached. Was a model citizen for us and graduated with a business degree. Went on to be the MVP of a second tier European League then moved up and had a very good career in the German A league. Player that was on Ohio First Team as a senior, second in voting to Lebron James for Ohio Mr. Baskketball, had a full ride to USC but never made it on the roster because he came back home after a short time in California. Went JUCO in Ohio and was the league MVP, but stopped going to class after the BB season. We agreed to give him a second chance but he had to sit a year to get his credits straighten out. Played one season with us and was our leading scorer and first team all conference. Verbally abused a professor after receiving a lower than expected grade in a class and was released from the school. He went on to play two years at another NAIA program and played in Europe. Major Indianapolis HS player that was released by a P5 team because of some behavior issues. Head Coach (initials BP) vouched for him and hoped that he could get himself straightened out closer to home with the hope of returning to his team. Was a very strong physical player with tons of potential.... however, his behavior issues turned out to be a drug problem. Super athletic player who I believe had a depression problem, played according to his mood. One game he was an all american, disappeared completely the next game. Went on to play in the G-League for a couple of years and then professionally around the world in countries such as  Israel, Thailand, Hong Kong & throughout China. Was a super star in Hong Kong and now has a basketball academy there. So to answer your question, there are DI players at the NAIA level and Greg has had his share of them.
Very nice answer.

But also points out that players in these circumstances wouldn't be helpful to Valpo.

This is really the crux of the matter. There are many talented players out there. Recruiting is very subjective when it come to talent, but JD24 is right to say that they wouldn't be helpful to Valpo because the fit isn't there. DI talent moves down to NAIA all the time, and I mean really talented players, but it rarely goes back the other way. Remember Clay Yeo? Came in with perhaps the most talented class in VU history. Was the best outside shot on that team, shooting 45.5% from 3. Never thought he would transfer back to NAIA but it just wasn't the right fit. There is some flaw either of the players making or just happenstance.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

tiny707

Add Preston to the transfer portal.

vu72

Quote from: tiny707 on April 03, 2023, 01:04:52 PM
Add Preston to the transfer portal.

Makes sense. If the highly recruited point from Canada actually shows up and, given DeAverio added year of experience, Preston's playing time would be limited.

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on April 03, 2023, 01:11:26 PM
Quote from: tiny707 on April 03, 2023, 01:04:52 PMAdd Preston to the transfer portal.
Makes sense. If the highly recruited point from Canada actually shows up and, given DeAverio added year of experience, Preston's playing time would be limited.
It should be non existent.

David81

I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but....

...how long does VU have to make its decision before the players who might help us have already been snatched up from the transfer portal?

IndyValpo

Quote from: David81 on April 03, 2023, 06:10:34 PM
I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but....

...how long does VU have to make its decision before the players who might help us have already been snatched up from the transfer portal?
As of today there are over 1200 in the portal, adding more every day. There will plenty to choose from.