• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wood vs Milwaukee

Started by valpospartan, November 22, 2011, 10:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

B. Wood and his new team play Milwaukee on Wednesday @ 6 CT.  It can be seen live streaming on www.btn.com.

According to the "Game notes":

Wood Vs. The Panthers
While MSU has never faced Milwaukee, Spartan senior Brandon Wood has faced Milwaukee four times in his career, while playing at Valparaiso the last two seasons. Wood is averaging 20.3 points in his four career games vs. the Panthers.

vuweathernerd

he should be able to help the spartans gameplan for the game, and his scoring average sure doesn't hurt either.

FWalum

Would love to see Brandon have that kind of game against Milwaukee tonight, just don't know if I can fully root against the HL.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

As much as I like Brandon, I doubt very much that he will score more than 10 points.  Their offense runs through the bigs and the other guards like to go one on one which leave Brandon wondering a round in the corner waiting for a pass.  This MSU teams has a ways to go.  I expect a strong showing from Milwaukee--within 10 points, and wil give them a 30% chance of a win.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vu72 on November 23, 2011, 01:36:47 PM
As much as I like Brandon, I doubt very much that he will score more than 10 points.  Their offense runs through the bigs and the other guards like to go one on one which leave Brandon wondering a round in the corner waiting for a pass.  This MSU teams has a ways to go.  I expect a strong showing from Milwaukee--within 10 points, and wil give them a 30% chance of a win.

Brandon had 15 against duke.

sectionee

I wish we'd quit posting about Brandon in the Valpo Basketball section of the message board.  I wish him luck and all, but I think these threads belong elsewhere on this board.

Crusader03

Quote from: sectionee on November 23, 2011, 03:58:14 PM
I wish we'd quit posting about Brandon in the Valpo Basketball section of the message board.  I wish him luck and all, but I think these threads belong elsewhere on this board.

TBTH, I agree 100% with sectionee here.  Brandon had a fine career here for the 'Saders, but he decided to leave and pursue "greener" pastures (no pun intended  ;D).  It's one thing to still have a small rooting interest, it's another thing to continue to discuss him as part of VU basketball in the here and now.  He willingly left....let's talk about who are, not who we aren't!  (HOOSIERS)

agibson

Quote from: sectionee on November 23, 2011, 03:58:14 PMI wish him luck and all, but I think these threads belong elsewhere on this board.

Yeah, I think that's reasonable.  We could have a nice, lively, Brandon Wood thread (or, heck, one per game if you want) over in "Other Sports".

bbtds

Quote from: Crusader03 on November 23, 2011, 04:12:08 PM

let's talk about who are, not who we aren't!  (HOOSIERS)

I actually stood in the Knightstown "Hoosier Gym" and recited that line to my brother-in-law. If he hadn't of giggled and there would have been a 50's microphone there it would have made for a perfect moment. (Hoosier gym in Knightstown is where Angelo Pizzo, David Anspaugh, Gene Hackman  and crew filmed the Hickory gym scenes from the movie)

Actually the line was....."I would hope you would support who we are. Not, who we are not. These six individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line 23 nights for the next 4 months, to represent you, this high school. That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect. This is your team."

Also: Five players on the floor functioning as one single unit: team, team, team - no one more important that the other.

I also went to the locker room and said:

If you put your effort and concentration into playing to your potential, to be the best that you can be, I don't care what the scoreboard says at the end of the game, in my book we're gonna be winners.

And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen.

Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here.

How many times are we gonna pass the ball?

One more thing, 'Sader 03,

First of all, let's be real friendly here, okay? My name is Norm. Secondly, your posting days are over.
Leave the ball, will you, 03?

Just kidding.   ;)

P.S. Let's hope when Valpo has the ball with a few seconds to go and they call the time out at Hinkle Fieldhouse against Butler on Dec. 3 with the score tied, Bryce will say "What's the matter with you guys?" and Ryan will respond "I'll make it."  And he does make it!

Crusader03

vu72

If my wife thought I had memorized those lines, given the fact that she thinks I'm nuts for following Valpo stuff like I do, she would have me put away!  :crazy:

Still to me, it is great to hear famous lines, which have such deep meaning, displayed in great reverence here, on our humble board. "sniff, sniff"  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

First off, any threads about Brandon Wood, that don't involve Horizon League schools can go into the General Sports thread. He was a good player at VU for two years, but now that he's not wearing the brown and gold because he wanted to move to a team with more exposure. Let's put him in his place, and any talk of him with MSU goes into the General Sports threads.

Secondly, MSU has a 7-point lead on UW-Milwaukee, 33-26, and yes, BTN refers to Milwaukee as UW-M in their score decal. He also just a mention from Dave Revsine during halftime of the VMI-Ohio St. game.

valpopal

Coach Izzo not satisfied with Brandon yet: "He's got to get some of that grit. He's got to run his lanes harder. He is shooting the ball better, he's defending a little better than I thought, he's gotten a couple of rebounds, but the grit things aren't there yet. I think he's making progress, I really do. He's been one of our more solid guys, but just kind of existing on defense."

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2011/11/michigan_states_tom_izzo_wants.html

sectionee

He had 6 points tonight and it doesn't look like he started.

valpo84

Wood is like any Valpo player who graduated and went to the pros. (SI). We are interested in how he is doing and wish him the most success. What Izzo said isn't much different than what he has probably heard before. I think the posts in this section are fine. Where would we put posts on Chris Ensminger (who still continues to have a great career in Germany) or Ron Howard or Cory Johnson? They are and will always be part of Valpo basketball. The difference is Wood's on TV every few nights so we keep being reminded of his play. But look, he went to MSU to try to evalate his game. Izzo will make him a better defender by the end of the year and I look forward to watching the progression and reading about it in this section or in the Valpo basketball section. Horizon made sense because they played UWM (Milwaukee is the Bucks or the Brewers, UWM is how I think of the Horizon League team).
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on November 23, 2011, 05:47:21 PM
If my wife thought I had memorized those lines, given the fact that she thinks I'm nuts for following Valpo stuff like I do, she would have me put away!  :crazy:

Still to me, it is great to hear famous lines, which have such deep meaning, displayed in great reverence here, on our humble board. "sniff, sniff"  ;D

Just call me nuts then. I have driven up to New Richmond, IN where they filmed the outdoor scenes for the town of Hickory along with the church scenes. Unfortunately around 2004, I believe, New Richmond was hit by a tornado. The church front section was rebuilt so it looks nothing like it did in 1985. The whole stage area of the church where Jimmy says "I play, coach stays. He goes, I go." was also rebuilt before the tornado so it also doesn't appear anything like it did when the movie was filmed. One thing that my brother-in-law did was stop by the barbershop which to this day (at least up till 2010) still functions as a barbershop. He asked the barber "Who cuts your hair?" without blinking the barber said "Yours truly" and winked. My brother-in-law just giggled and never could finish the hand jesture that Coach Dale used before leaving the barbershop.

He also stood outside of the barbershop and said "Sun don't shine on the same dog's ass everyday, but, mister you ain't seen a ray of light since you got here."

When we drove just outside New Richmond you could see the path of the tornado which took out most of the trees that had provided the leaves that covered the ground during the opening scene when Coach Dale drives into Hickory. We drove by a farmhouse and right there just off the road was obviously the basketball goal where Coach Dale talked with Jimmy Chitwood when he was shooting baskets and Coach Dale told Jimmy "I don't care if you play basketball or not." This was also the farm where Myra Fleener lived with her parents. That old barn where Myra and Norman Dale first talked about Myra having moved away from Hickory was barely standing. It had been damaged severely by the tornado but they couldn't tear it down for sentimental reasons.

The scene where Shooter says "Clete, you tell him. Sectionals of '33, one point down. Five, four, three, two, one, let 'er fly, in and out. Yeah, well, I was fouled" in the diner was shot in an existing diner across from the post office. Today it is a semi-museum with pictures from when the movie company came to New Richmond with Gene Hackman, Barbara Hershey and Dennis Hopper. Except for about a dozen other actors locals were used in the movie including the Hickory players except for one of the players. It related a story about how Dennis Hopper would twist himself around and around in a circle to make himself dizzy so he could do the drunk scenes more easily. There actually was a patron in the diner eating when we walked in and he told us how his brother was an extra in the movie who had to be bused over to Knightstown, 2 hours away, so as to have the same people watching the basketball games as were part of the town scenes shot in New Richmond. The patron had been in college at Purdue when the movie was shot and had missed all the excitement.

One thing that was left over from 1985 was a painted sign on the window of the post office which said "HICKORY" and you could buy post cards that had the postmark of "Hickory" pre-printed on them. We talked to the lady postmaster but she said she was from Lebanon and didn't know why they sold those postcards with "Hickory" on them and when I told her why she just said "Well, now I know." Not a very good tourist info person. But then again the townspeople probably have no say over who the postmaster is.

On all four signs (New Richmond basically is only 2 highways that cross at a stop sign) that mark the town limits of New Richmond it says "where the movie Hoosiers was shot in 1985" and there is a picture of the sneakers used in the promo for the movie.

valporun

Quote from: bbtds on November 24, 2011, 01:47:36 AMIt related a story about how Dennis Hopper would twist himself around and around in a circle to make himself dizzy so he could do the drunk scenes more easily.

In the dvd bonus features, Dennis Hopper talked about how he was only a few weeks clean when the director wanted him to do that scene, "I told Angelo, 'Just give me a few seconds, and I'll be ready.' I started to spin in circles, and then I was ready to do the scene."

agibson

Quote from: sectionee on November 23, 2011, 10:12:47 PM
He had 6 points tonight and it doesn't look like he started.

He started.

http://uwmpanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2011-2012/uwm5.html

Played 26 minutes (third most of anyone, for Michigan State).  6 points on 2-5 shooting (1-4 from beyond the arc).  Most offensive boards for the Spartans, with three.  Second-highest overall rebound total at 6.  Led with four assists (three turnovers).  Looks like a decent effort.  Not a star, but a serious contribution.