• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let's speculate about assistant coaches

Started by humbleopinion, April 07, 2023, 11:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

We got anxious before Powell got hired, trust the process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wh

As one of the few still remaining after a 7-year famine, these players are not what I was picturing upon drinking in the words, "I'm adding high profile assistants, and they're bringing players with them."

Pgmado

The staff is being built and recruiting is happening. It will be an entire turnover on the staff. In terms of any perceived holdup, I'm sure the school will announce when it has all the paperwork situated. Might be waiting for everything all at once. There are new people working. Who they are? Not confirmed on any of it yet.

historyman

Quote from: wh on April 18, 2023, 04:00:00 PM
As one of the few still remaining after a 7-year famine, these players are not what I was picturing upon drinking in the words, "I'm adding high profile assistants, and they're bringing players with them."

I'm still bracing for that first day of some really bad news from this staff. Not everything will be perfect but so far it seems to be progressing in a way that leads to feeling very optimistic about the way Valpo is heading. It may take more than a month to build that Final Four team.  :-)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

A dream team of experience, character, and accomplishment!

VULB#62

Whoa!  Great resumes and glowing recommendations. But what got me was that Gordon left Porter Moser and Butler  left Bryce to come with Roger.  Baldwin, may have been collateral of the change at G'Town, but he certainly could have picked up another P5 job with his record.  Says a lot about the respect Roger has in the coaching fraternity.

We, apparently have a big enough budget to afford these guys. I'm seeing something that was kinda missing in the past— commitment.

may know

vok22

Powell mentioned wanting to have a former head coach, an offensive guy, and a defensive guy on his staff. Baldwin is obviously the former head coach, but I wonder which are the offensive and defensive guys. I read a lot about their recruiting connections, but can't find any details on what side of the ball they are most fluent in.

valpo4life

Quote from: vok22 on April 19, 2023, 11:32:31 AM
Powell mentioned wanting to have a former head coach, an offensive guy, and a defensive guy on his staff. Baldwin is obviously the former head coach, but I wonder which are the offensive and defensive guys. I read a lot about their recruiting connections, but can't find any details on what side of the ball they are most fluent in.

I always say Moser teams as being very tough and prepared defensively. So if I had to take a guess, Gordon would be the "defensive guy".

Worth nothing, there's still another assistant or associate head coach role to fill.

cornonthe

Quote from: valpo4life on April 19, 2023, 11:42:00 AM
Quote from: vok22 on April 19, 2023, 11:32:31 AM

I always say Moser teams as being very tough and prepared defensively. So if I had to take a guess, Gordon would be the "defensive guy".

Worth nothing, there's still another assistant or associate head coach role to fill.
I still say Kyle Smithpeters, I believe my mom's friend that they were at the very least talking seriously to him. Someone else said his brother though, Tyler...who knows, maybe Holloway is staying?!?

tiny707

I still think Sasha may be in for a grad assistant. Just a hunch on my part.

JD24

Quote from: wh on April 18, 2023, 04:00:00 PMAs one of the few still remaining after a 7-year famine, these players are not what I was picturing upon drinking in the words, "I'm adding high profile assistants, and they're bringing players with them."
I don't feel like watching the entire press conference again but I read the line about bringing in the assistants and they were bringing players in before I watched the press conference the day it occurred. Then when I watched the press conference I didn't think he said this in quite this fashion. I took it as bringing in top assistants and top players and that was two separate issues.

crusader05

I took it more as the coaches will have guys they have their eyes on and think would be good fits or who they would have connections to as well. So not a sure thing of bringing them in but a matter of bringing in new people with a new constellation of connections and opinions

elephtheria47

Omg yes. Great hires. Love seeing the newfound commitment!!

vu72

Quote from: cornonthe on April 19, 2023, 11:56:25 AMmaybe Holloway is staying?!?

His picture has been removed from the coaches page.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: tiny707 on April 19, 2023, 12:12:46 PM
I still think Sasha may be in for a grad assistant. Just a hunch on my part.

I've heard he has other plans, but that could be wrong

JD24

We asleep at the wheel?

QuoteValparaiso University men's basketball head coach Roger Powell Jr. has announced the first three members of his coaching staff as Pat Baldwin and Matt Gordon will serve as assistant coaches, while Kylen Butler joins the staff as special assistant to the head coach.

https://valpo.life/article/powell-welcomes-trio-to-valpo-basketball-coaching-staff/

Just Sayin

Quote from: JD24 on April 19, 2023, 04:08:36 PM
We asleep at the wheel?

QuoteValparaiso University men's basketball head coach Roger Powell Jr. has announced the first three members of his coaching staff as Pat Baldwin and Matt Gordon will serve as assistant coaches, while Kylen Butler joins the staff as special assistant to the head coach.

https://valpo.life/article/powell-welcomes-trio-to-valpo-basketball-coaching-staff/

Up thread a little:

:snore:
https://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=4481.msg148798#msg148798

David81

So this is the continued unfolding of Valpo basketball's Go Big or Go Home moment. We're going to see if Going Big can bring on-the-court and financial success to this program. This is exciting. And if they can find a way to put a competitive team on the floor this season, the stands may well be packed again.

VULB#62

Decided to check the MBB coaches page on ValpoAthletics.com. Who knows how things will change going forward, but Peter Funk (DBO), Tevonn (GA), Thomas (GA) are still hanging out in the portrait gallery. Holding onto these young men at this stage in their career development would be a wonderful way for Roger to plant the roots of a Powell coaching tree.

VU2014

Interesting to note that Pat Baldwin was introduced as an Assistant coach and not an Associate Head Coach. Pat does have Hc experience.

vok22

Quote from: VU2014 on April 19, 2023, 09:54:28 PMInteresting to note that Pat Baldwin was introduced as an Assistant coach and not an Associate Head Coach. Pat does have Hc experience.

This is actually a very good point. According to Paul Oren, Powell specifically said he is looking for somebody with head coaching experience in the associate head coach position. Makes me think whoever does get that spot is going to have head coaching experience unless he already fulfilled it with Baldwin and called that good enough. Would make more sense for it to be that Smithpeters guy then. Yea, he'd be leaving the SEC, but moving up from assistant to associate head coach, and he does have north MVC and head coaching experience.

cornonthe

Quote from: vok22 on April 19, 2023, 10:24:34 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 19, 2023, 09:54:28 PMInteresting to note that Pat Baldwin was introduced as an Assistant coach and not an Associate Head Coach. Pat does have Hc experience.

This is actually a very good point. According to Paul Oren, Powell specifically said he is looking for somebody with head coaching experience in the associate head coach position. Makes me think whoever does get that spot is going to have head coaching experience unless he already fulfilled it with Baldwin and called that good enough. Would make more sense for it to be that Smithpeters guy then. Yea, he'd be leaving the SEC, but moving up from assistant to associate head coach, and he does have north MVC and head coaching experience.
My moms friend still insists that they at least talked to Ryan Smithpeters, but maybe they couldn't get anything official...last night it looked like it was done...weird...