• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let's speculate about assistant coaches

Started by humbleopinion, April 07, 2023, 11:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: cornonthe on April 19, 2023, 10:32:03 PM
Quote from: vok22 on April 19, 2023, 10:24:34 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 19, 2023, 09:54:28 PMInteresting to note that Pat Baldwin was introduced as an Assistant coach and not an Associate Head Coach. Pat does have Hc experience.

This is actually a very good point. According to Paul Oren, Powell specifically said he is looking for somebody with head coaching experience in the associate head coach position. Makes me think whoever does get that spot is going to have head coaching experience unless he already fulfilled it with Baldwin and called that good enough. Would make more sense for it to be that Smithpeters guy then. Yea, he'd be leaving the SEC, but moving up from assistant to associate head coach, and he does have north MVC and head coaching experience.
My moms friend still insists that they at least talked to Ryan Smithpeters, but maybe they couldn't get anything official...last night it looked like it was done...weird...

Yes, but...my next door neighbor's puppy, Sporty Beagle, is dog park friends with Beacon and Blaze and they told  Sporty that they were relieving themselves...of the pressure have having to deal with ignorant humans and failed coaches...and that Smithpeters was coming to Valpo but only to exercise his dog, Spicey Smithpeters, at the dog park and then will be heading back to the S.E.C.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

tiny707

Interesting that everyone railed on Ed Schillings coaching record at Wright State but Baldwin gets a pass with his record at Milwaukee. His year at Georgetown was brutal. Out of work so we could afford him.

vok22

Quote from: tiny707 on April 20, 2023, 06:55:36 AM
Interesting that everyone railed on Ed Schillings coaching record at Wright State but Baldwin gets a pass with his record at Milwaukee. His year at Georgetown was brutal. Out of work so we could afford him.

Well I think everybody would've been up in arms if he was a candidate to be head coach here, but :

[/quote]

In his final campaign with the Wildcats, Northwestern tallied a school-record 24 victories and the first NCAA tournament berth in school history. NU's campaign also included 10 wins in Big Ten play for the first time since the 1930s. That followed what was a school-record 20 wins during the 2015-16 campaign.
As an assistant coach at NU, where he worked primarily with the guards, Baldwin helped the Wildcats land recruiting classes ranked in the nation's top 30.

mj

It's interesting that Baldwin has a connection to JR Blount via his time at Loyola. I guess it's a small world for college basketball coaches.
I believe that we will win.

JD24

Quote from: tiny707 on April 20, 2023, 06:55:36 AMInteresting that everyone railed on Ed Schillings coaching record at Wright State but Baldwin gets a pass with his record at Milwaukee. His year at Georgetown was brutal. Out of work so we could afford him.
Then I think it's good news that he's not the head coach hire.

vok22

Does it usually take this long to put a full staff together? I believe two positions are still open, including the Associate Head Coach position. I understand taking your time but at this point at this point I have to imagine we've made multiple offers and been turned down...

vok22

Sounds like we just hired AJ Moye for one of the open spots...

https://t.co/MCCan8pe6O

valpo64

Expect former Indiana standout A.J. Moye to join Roger's Coaching staff.  Roger and A.J.  connected when they both played in Germany.  Moye was a contemporary with Roger playing in the Big 10.  He has been a high school coach and trainer in California for a number of years.  He has coached at both Oaks Christian and Oak Park High School and has trained a number of  NBA .  He also coached a number of future NBA players.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

I believe Coach Garrison is connected with Isaiah Stafford that VU recently offered.

wh

Hands down the highest profile staff in the MVC. It doesn't even need to be researched.

VULB#62

They fully represent the necessary spectrum of demonstrated coaching skills that makes a group of players better. This isn't just a collection of coaches, it is a carefully selected assembly of complementary persons who I am sure buy into and will work hard to create the BB culture that Roger envisions and produces solid players who play unselfishly as a team. 2023-24 is gonna be fun to watch.

chgovalpofan

wow   I am really impressed.  Hopefully this translates into good recruits and ultimately a stellar basketball program..

valpo64

I understand from people close to the IU program that many wanted IU to hire A. J. Moye as an asst   Good catch for us.  Let's play ball!  Oh yes but get some players first.    :)

VULB#62

Based on the staff he has assembled, imagine if you will......

Roger walks into a top recruit's home.  He says to the recruit and his family:

"You've seen Top Gun, right? Remember Tom Skerritt and his address to the in-coming class?  He said to them 'You are the best of the best.  We are going to make you better.'  That's our commitment to you as a Valpo basketball player.  We will make you better because we have have the staff to do it."

If I was in that room, all I'd say is "Where do I sign?"

vok22

Cannot be even remotely upset with this staff. As high caliber of a staff as one can get at the mid major level.

Roger and AJ have won at every level they have been at, including both the Power 5 and Mid Major level. Experience recruiting and developing high level players including college and NBA superstars. Deep recruiting connections. Experience learning from one of the all time coaches (Mark Few). Experience winning at Valpo.

I can only imagine the impact that having a head coach and an assistant coach that have that level of PLAYING experience will have on the recruiting trail. Not many, if any, mid major programs have a head coach that can say they went to a Final Four as a player and coach, and then an assistant that played in the National Championship. They know what players are looking for an how to accommodate them. Not to mention AJ has trained DeMar Derozan, Kyrie Irving, and more recently Jaime Jaquez Jr. That is a flex. Roger being the primary recruiter for numerous NBA players that went through Gonzaga.

Now let's see what they can do.

crusader05

I do feel that the level of connections this coaching staff has is a selling point not just to come but to stay.

justducky

Quote from: crusader05 on April 26, 2023, 06:22:21 PM
I do feel that the level of connections this coaching staff has is a selling point not just to come but to stay.

:thumbsup:

Quote from: valpo64 on April 26, 2023, 04:13:31 PMLet's play ball!  Oh yes but get some players first.   

By my count we have more coaches than players. Not completely certain if this new approach will be successful in the MVC.

humbleopinion

Quote from: justducky on April 26, 2023, 06:58:29 PM
By my count we have more coaches than players. Not completely certain if this new approach will be successful in the MVC.

But the four players  we have are "fabulous!"  ;D
Beamin' Beacons

beacons23

Quote from: wh on April 26, 2023, 03:05:06 PM
Hands down the highest profile staff in the MVC. It doesn't even need to be researched.

this is laughable

wh

Quote from: beacons23 on April 27, 2023, 12:01:30 PM

this is laughable

I'm glad I was able to bring a little joy your way. Maybe you would be willing to educate me about all the coach and assistant coach combinations in the MVC that our new staff is inferior to. There must be several for my comment to be laughable.

VUGrad1314

It's easier to envision success when it comes to high profile coaching hires than it is for high profile recruiting classes. The Lottich era taught us many times that all that glitters is not gold. I'm tempering my expectations until I see the roster they put together and also until I see it in live action a few times. I remain optimistic but I'm still a bit burned and jaded by the early fanfare of the Lottich era.

valpo64

It is important to realize that because of the late start this Staff faced we should not judge this first recruiting class as typical of future recruiting efforts.  Nonetheless, it appears that they are being particular in these late efforts to fill the roster  I trust we will get off on the right foot recruiting wise and even though they quality of players may not be up to future standing, we will get quality people that will fit into the Rev's plans in the future.  And who knows, maybe we will even surprise people this up-coming season.

valpo64

Be sure to read Paul Oren's latest article on A.J. Moye.  It is a great piece and should make all Valpo fans very proud of Coach Powell and the hiring of A.J.  What a class act!

Valpower

Quote from: wh on April 27, 2023, 01:02:41 PM
Quote from: beacons23 on April 27, 2023, 12:01:30 PM

this is laughable

I'm glad I was able to bring a little joy your way. Maybe you would be willing to educate me about all the coach and assistant coach combinations in the MVC that our new staff is inferior to. There must be several for my comment to be laughable.
That would require research, which you forbade.  ;) Seriously, though, I think there's a lot of hyperbole surrounding our rebuild (more than the usual optimism after mediocre previous-season results and with little work done yet).  Many are not experts on the assistant-coaching ranks, so if you make extraordinary claims you'll be expected by some to provide extraordinary proof. I hope you're right, but I'd rather hear why these hires are good than how they rank in the MVC.