• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NIL

Started by VU2014, April 15, 2023, 06:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Does anyone know if any Valpo Basketball players made any NIL $ last year?

Apparently a good amount of players at other MVC schools were getting paid $25K per semester last season. I doubt Valpo players were.

It's going to be imperative for Valpo to build connections with the business community to be able to recruit competitive talent in the coming years.

tiny707

I don't think so. They were working on it. I know Missouri State, Bradley and Drake all had NIL. I think Region kids would be able to get the most bang for the buck: camps, jerseys, etc.

tiny707

UCONN had zero NIL money this year.

wh

Quote from: tiny707 on April 15, 2023, 07:53:36 PM
UCONN had zero NIL money this year.

Tiny - You may want to double check your source on that. The only reference I could find was an article bemoaning the fact that their international player here on a student visa isn't allowed by law to receive NIL funds.

tiny707

Yeah, I was way off. Dan Hurley said in the article he has no players because of NIL. He wants players to come to UCONN for the program not because he will pay them the most money.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on April 18, 2023, 02:26:03 PM
The power of NIL.

https://twitter.com/amfkristensen/status/1648356078541844482?s=46&t=cNk7taMAYtxNl1Q0_O79Gw
Appears to be a good get by Evansville! They are one of the teams I have to root for (when the are not playing VU) because my daughter got her archeology bachelors there and I sat on one of their boards for a while.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

Evansville gets a player rated 3 or 4 stars that turned down Kansas, Illinois among others??  Something doesn't sound right here.  There has got to be more on this story.

tiny707

More to the story is money talks for some players. This is a NIL thread. I believe Miami paid 2.9 million NIL for MBB players.

AB

Not as if players were getting paid before. Ironic Frank Haith lost his job at the U for those shenanagins.  NIL will improve the college basketball product as players are staying longer now. Evansville can promise more playing time right away. Will still be the same 10-15 schools every year and maybe the occasional Florida Atlantic.

FWalum

Quote from: valpo64 on April 18, 2023, 04:43:37 PM
Evansville gets a player rated 3 or 4 stars that turned down Kansas, Illinois among others??  Something doesn't sound right here.  There has got to be more on this story.

I am guessing that because Evansville is extremely isolated, local advertising opportunities are available in a town that is rabid about basketball. Consider that Evansville has been one of the least successful teams in the league since we have been a member, they still averaged over 4500 butts in the seats this last season.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: FWalum on April 18, 2023, 07:24:22 PM

I am guessing that because Evansville is extremely isolated, local advertising opportunities are available in a town that is rabid about basketball. Consider that Evansville has been one of the least successful teams in the league since we have been a member, they still averaged over 4500 butts in the seats this last season.

It wouldn't surprise me if UE would lead the Valley in attendance next year with the addition of Cameron Haffner to the roster. His father Scott is one of the most decorated players in UE men's basketball history, a legend to the Aces faithful. He was the first real star in UE's Division I era and the first UE D1 player to have his jersey retired.  I think he may still hold the single game scoring record with 65 points in a game against Dayton. Cameron was the OVC freshman of the year this past season.

valpo64

You really don't believe that U of E's NIL money can compete with that of KU or Fightin' Illini.  I doubt that ANY mid-major school can compete with ANY P-5 Conference School in NIL dollars.  If so, I sure would like to know where. While Evansville usually leads the MVC in attendance, they have put out a very poor MBB program in recent years.  I still say there has to be more on this story   I can believe a new hot shot transfer comes in from the OVC.  But the new 4-star guy?  What's up, Doc?

FWalum

Quote from: valpo64 on April 18, 2023, 08:02:49 PM
You really don't believe that U of E's NIL money can compete with that of KU or Fightin' Illini.  I doubt that ANY mid-major school can compete with ANY P-5 Conference School in NIL dollars.  If so, I sure would like to know where. While Evansville usually leads the MVC in attendance, they have put out a very poor MBB program in recent years.  I still say there has to be more on this story   I can believe a new hot shot transfer comes in from the OVC.  But the new 4-star guy?  What's up, Doc?
You are right, mid-majors can't compete with the total P5 NIL package. At Kansas he would be one of thirteen, and most likely behind most of the other players, not all players would receive the same compensation. At UE he has a chance to be one of the top guys.

Even at that, you are probably right that there is more to the story or connection to Ragland or UE.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: FWalum on April 18, 2023, 07:44:34 PM
Quote from: FWalum on April 18, 2023, 07:24:22 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if UE would lead the Valley in attendance next year with the addition of Cameron Haffner to the roster. His father Scott is one of the most decorated players in UE men's basketball history, a legend to the Aces faithful. He was the first real star in UE's Division I era and the first UE D1 player to have his jersey retired.  I think he may still hold the single game scoring record with 65 points in a game against Dayton. Cameron was the OVC freshman of the year this past season.

Cam Haffner can play. The Westfield teams with him and Braden Smith (Purdue) were a lot of fun to watch.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on April 15, 2023, 06:59:50 PM
Does anyone know if any Valpo Basketball players made any NIL $ last year?

Apparently a good amount of players at other MVC schools were getting paid $25K per semester last season. I doubt Valpo players were.

It's going to be imperative for Valpo to build connections with the business community to be able to recruit competitive talent in the coming years.

To your point:
---Valparaiso University is not going to endear itself to business, but Valparaiso University athletics can.
---Basketball is the only common thread of interest and men's basketball is the only element that has any tangible "what's in it for me" value.
---Don't expect charity giving to some general NIL fund. Valpo has no standing with the NWI business community. Unlike state-supported regional campuses, Valpo is not perceived as adding any educational/training value to the workforce in NWI. Put succinctly, Valpo is not going to tug at anyone's heartstrings.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Very cool.  Jim Hooper now lives in DFW, and has come out to some of our Valpo Club of DFW events.
"Don't mess with Texas"

tiny707

NIL will be a factor for us to compete with top level teams. Curious what Brodie and Tucker are making. I know Drake was one of the first schools to sell jerseys tied to NIL. I believe we are pretty limited.