• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

YSU lost to Penn State Wednesday 82-71

Started by bbtds, November 25, 2011, 08:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Blake Allen had 25 points and was 7 of 12 from beyond the arc, Kendrick Perry had 23 points and was 5 of 8 from the trey line. Impressive numbers from the guard combo at YSU. Damian Eargle had 8 points in 20 minutes of playing time.

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/25/2998597/frazier-leads-lions-over-youngstown.html

UNIVERSITY PARK — Thanks to a remarkable first half from Tim Frazier, Penn State built a huge lead and held on for an 82-71 men's basketball victory over previously unbeaten Youngstown State at the Bryce Jordan Center on Wednesday.

Frazier scored 14 points and assisted on eight of the Nittany Lions' 10 other baskets as Penn State raced to a 44-26 halftime lead. The Nittany Lions, who have struggled from the field, shot 60 percent (15-of-25) overall and made 7-of-10 3-point attempts against the Penguins in the first 20 minutes.

"I would say those two kids (Allen and Perry) are pretty good," Chambers said. "I knew they were better than that in the first half. I watched those guys on tape. They were really talented. They can really shoot the ball. That's the same team that beat a good Butler team last year in February. We didn't take them lightly at all."

The Penguins made 10-of-15 3-point attempts to stay within striking distance in the second half. They got as close as 58-49 with 11:31 remaining, but Jermaine Marshall sank a 3-pointer to put the Nittany Lions ahead by 12 points.

The lead stayed in double digits until Allen's 3-pointer with 50 seconds left cut the margin to 77-68.

The Nittany Lions overcame 18 turnovers and going 19-for-31 from the foul line. Penn State shot a season best 57 percent for the game (26-for-46) and 50 percent (11-for-22) from 3-point range. Youngstown State shot 39 percent (24-for-61) overall, but 52 percent (14-for-27) from long distance.

vuweathernerd

not bad to only lose by 11 to penn state. especially when you're a perennial bottom-dweller like the penguins.

valporun

Well, Penn St. isn't a major basketball power in the Big Ten. Penn St. also has a new coach, so they are still getting used to his system and style. Youngstown could be a real surprise, how much I don't know, but they could really make some noise this year.