• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2023-24 Men's Basketball Season - General

Started by wh, June 12, 2023, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

VULB#62

Did anyone who was at the public practice notice the Zag's approach to uptempo pace and shooting inside of 14 seconds that the article talked about?  If so, could you elaborate?

tjjvalpo

The takeaway when I was watching them was they had a lot more half court sets than I expected. However, they were still moving quickly and looking to shoot earlier in the clock. Darius was actually taking shots if he was open. Now, there were still plenty of possessions that they shot the ball with 10 seconds, so they were moving at a great pace. You also have to understand that they are being asked to hustle on offense and defense, so all 10 players are getting up and down the court quickly to not allow the quick shot. Coach Powell did warn that we likely since more turnovers early in the season with this pace. But, all in all, it is going to be fun brand of basketball. Also, with this brand of basketball, they will likely be going 9 to 10 deep. From talent standpoint, there didn't seem to be any significant kind of drop off.

covufan

Quote from: tjjvalpo on October 20, 2023, 05:27:58 AM
The takeaway when I was watching them was they had a lot more half court sets than I expected. However, they were still moving quickly and looking to shoot earlier in the clock. Darius was actually taking shots if he was open. Now, there were still plenty of possessions that they shot the ball with 10 seconds, so they were moving at a great pace. You also have to understand that they are being asked to hustle on offense and defense, so all 10 players are getting up and down the court quickly to not allow the quick shot. Coach Powell did warn that we likely since more turnovers early in the season with this pace. But, all in all, it is going to be fun brand of basketball. Also, with this brand of basketball, they will likely be going 9 to 10 deep. From talent standpoint, there didn't seem to be any significant kind of drop off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vok22

https://x.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1716500280966107514?s=20

Interesting. I know other schools do this where they have some sort of orientation for the student section before the season starts. I think, if students show up, this could lead to a more cohesive student section with everyone actually standing and having synchronized chants (something we used to have).

VULB#62

The link doesn't open for me.

Try this one.

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1716500280966107514

It looks like they've renamed the student section The Light.  Trying too hard to draw too many lame parallels to Beacons.  Just stick with The Valparaizone.

wh

Quote from: vok22 on October 23, 2023, 12:27:55 PM

Interesting. I know other schools do this where they have some sort of orientation for the student section before the season starts. I think, if students show up, this could lead to a more cohesive student section with everyone actually standing and having synchronized chants (something we used to have).
Quote from: vok22 on October 23, 2023, 12:27:55 PM

Notice from the flier that Roger continues to fully embrace Valpo's new "Beacons" name, and the Christ-centered concept articulated by President Padilla when the new name was announced. The new student section name - "The Light." "Light up the ARC." The myriad beams of light accenting the theme. Instead of despising (as I have done) our resident band of virtue-signaling, cultural Marxist perpetrators hell bent on destroying Valparaiso University's foundational connection to Christianity and our Savior Jesus Christ, they have followed the Apostle Paul's instruction to the Church, "Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21).

Valpo has spent several decades ashamedly and increasingly "... hiding its light under a bushel" (Matthew 5:15), running from its identity as a Christian university for fear of offending a secular world that can never be appeased. President Padilla, Coach Roger Powell, and obviously AD Small are once again unashamedly proclaiming Valparaiso University as a "beacon of hope" in a lost and dying world as its founders intended. The late great President O.P. Kretzmann has to be smiling from above. It's a shame it took 2 Catholics and an evangelical Christian to stem the tide, but apparently Christ had His fill of milquetoast, go-along-to-get-along "leaders." "I tell you," He replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:40) Thank God for 3 powerful stones!

John 8:12
Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

I'm sorry but I just can't say "Beacon Up!" Every time I hear it I think of the following:

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 23, 2023, 01:56:09 PM
It looks like they've renamed the student section The Light.  Trying too hard to draw too many lame parallels to Beacons.  Just stick with The Valparaizone.

OK.  I think calling the student section The Light is a stretch because the student section is basically a reserved "place" for a certain population - student fans.  The students in that section can be The Light(s?), but that light/those lights need to emanate from a physical source.

Given past dialogue, I know that this is gonna make some of you queasy, but, if you're gonna rename a section, wouldn't the following be more in keeping with a basic place concept: 

🗼THE LIGHTHOUSE🗼

And I can see it now....... at the player intros, a beacon light pierces the darkened ARC and spins above the Lighthouse section as "the Lights" and Beacon and Blaze go crazy. Then, at the end of a winning game,  it goes off again to add to the celebration as the Lights and Beacon and Blaze go crazy once more and then race through the snow to ring the Victory Bell. 

Although I am having a little fun with this, I am actually kinda serious.

vu84v2

Definitely mixed feelings about the university athletic department 'organizing' the student section to this (apparent) degree. Yes, Valpo's student section in recent years has been abysmal - but a lot of that is due to having (first and most importantly) a poor team and (second) a poor non-conference schedule that says "come see us in January". I believe the first of these problems is being addressed, but will take a few years, and the second problem can be solved to some degree as the team improves. The bigger potential problem that I see is that successful student sections are, for the most part, organic. They are not created by university or athletic department organizing it, they are created by students who decide to lead it...and (for the most part) feel that they dictate the environment, name, etc (and do so in a creative and chaotic manner - there is a good book on the genesis of the Gonzaga student section that illustrates this well). From what I see, this (the name, etc.) looks like it was created by the university (probably with some cursory student involvement). Thus, I am doubtful that this effort will work.

But I will also note that any effort will need to be complemented by success on the court. Gonzaga's chaotic story of creating a great student section was complemented by teams with John Stockton.

VULB#62

Here's The Rev recruiting the whole dang Valpo student body to become part of the game intro video.  Cool!

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1716606049292042293

crusadermoe

I think it is smart to jump start the game culture for VU's students. My sense is that the current culture of the school just doesn't have a lot of comraderie minded kids. 

If you pull them off the smart phones and tablets long enough to experience an energetic environment, they might discover that they like it.  And for those types of personalities it also takes critical mass.  I will take a contrived student section over a pathetic one any day of the week.

VULB#62

Roger was here when Vashil led the team into the student section many times and laughed, high-fived and had a party. That type of student-to-player relationship, which attracts kids to games, disappeared over time. It's time to bring it back.

vu84v2

Quote from: crusadermoe on October 24, 2023, 04:09:06 PM
I think it is smart to jump start the game culture for VU's students. My sense is that the current culture of the school just doesn't have a lot of comraderie minded kids. 

If you pull them off the smart phones and tablets long enough to experience an energetic environment, they might discover that they like it.  And for those types of personalities it also takes critical mass.  I will take a contrived student section over a pathetic one any day of the week.

The problem with a contrived student section is that the students can always choose not to attend/participate. They are far more likely to identify with something that they and their peers created.

Agree fully about how great Vashil was (overall and with the student section).

David81

Just saw the short video. Coach Powell is bringing it.

Of course, time will tell, blah blah blah, but we couldn't have asked for a more high-energy, connected, on point head coach for VU men's hoops. He's trying to do more than simply revive the program; he's trying to create a new energy around it.

Thumbs up to the man.  :thumbsup:

vu84v2

Quote from: David81 on October 24, 2023, 10:49:26 PM

Of course, time will tell, blah blah blah, but we couldn't have asked for a more high-energy, connected, on point head coach for VU men's hoops. He's trying to do more than simply revive the program; he's trying to create a new energy around it.

My concerns were on the athletic department trying to create something that has almost always been created organically by the students. I agree that Coach Powell is doing a great job of bringing energy to the program in many ways.

crusader05

From what I have heard. There are students who are organizing the student section themselves and finding different ideas and structure to make it more fun and engaging. I believe they are part of some fraternities on campus and were a part of planning this event.

vu84v2

Quote from: crusader05 on October 25, 2023, 12:52:59 PM
From what I have heard. There are students who are organizing the student section themselves and finding different ideas and structure to make it more fun and engaging. I believe they are part of some fraternities on campus and were a part of planning this event.

That sounds great and the right direction. Hopefully, the university is providing support - but not direction.

David81

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 24, 2023, 11:52:35 PM
Quote from: David81 on October 24, 2023, 10:49:26 PM

My concerns were on the athletic department trying to create something that has almost always been created organically by the students. I agree that Coach Powell is doing a great job of bringing energy to the program in many ways.

Maybe that organic process needs a jump start. Coach Powell is trying to say, hey, I care about the whole program, and that includes making, you, the students, a big part of it.

Of course, the team needs to be competitive to sustain renewed student enthusiasm. Does Coach have a sense of these players that gives him confidence to rally the students before the team has taken the court?

tjjvalpo

Maybe I'm drinking the koolaid, but what I do know is Coach Powell has a lot of confidence in what he is teaching. He has been involved with one of the best programs in the country for the past 4 years. He knew exactly what type of player he wanted and he went and found them. Palm spoke at the open practice and he said that practices were "different!" The energy that I saw them practice with was over the top. His goal is to run the other opponent into the ground. Only time will tell, but I am encouraged in what this team might be.

wh

I received this email from the Athletic Department yesterday. I have never seen a game promotion like this. Amazing!

Dear Valpo Alumni and Friends,

We are thrilled to invite you to "Powell, Party of 5,000" on November 6th at 7:00 PM as we celebrate the return of our very own Roger Powell to Valparaiso University! We want you to be a part of this exciting evening as we celebrate a new era of Valpo basketball.

Men's Basketball Game:
•   Date: November 6, 2023
•   Time: 7:00 PM
•   Roger Powell fatheads available for the first 1000 fans
•   Free glow sticks for everyone
•   First 100 fans to purchase a beer at concessions will receive a free Valpo koozie
•   Halftime contest - 5 fans will receive free concessions for the season

But that's not all! Before the game, we have something special in store for alumni and friends - the "Valpo FanZone." Join us at Peddler's Sidebar for a pre-game gathering that's sure to get you in the Valpo spirit.

Valpo FanZone Details:
•   Address: 5 Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN 46383
•   Time: 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
•   Price: $10 per person
•   Includes pizza and one drink ticket
•   Limited to 100 guests

This is an excellent opportunity to mingle with fellow Valpo supporters, catch up with old friends, and make new connections. Let's build some pre-game excitement and show our support for the Valparaiso University Beacons!

Secure your spot now! Please use the following links to purchase your tickets for both events: Valpo FanZone and men's basketball tickets. All tickets will be digital for this event

We hope to see you there as we celebrate Roger Powell's return to Valpo and cheer on our men's basketball team to victory. Your presence will make this event even more memorable, so don't miss out!

If you have any questions or need more information, please feel free to contact our Alumni Office at alumni@valpo.edu or call 219-464-5005.
Valpo Athletics
1009 Union Street
Valparaiso , IN 46383
USA

vu84v2

This does look like impressive promotion. Though I have no way of knowing this for sure, I speculate that Valpo had a vision of renewed and expanded promotion that involved the new coach when they interviewed and chose to hire Coach Powell (meaning that it is part of the job expectations and contract with Coach Powell). If this is true, it is clearly a good direction by the athletic department and university.

AB

New ideas never hurt, being more involved with the community is a great way to bring awareness. Winning games will solve the attendance issues. Those mid week games in frigid January/February. Need more than winning to get the fans in for those nights.
Glad they are trying new ideas.
          & Sadly, looks like the Hoosier Helmet stays in Indy one more year. Not basketball related but a quick Football tangent... Landon Fox is clearly good with the X's and O's. He's closed the gap, but will take more than X's and O's. Disappointing year, but at least the program is lot more competitive than in years past. They are in, every game. If the football team could figure out how to be a perennial power in the PFL and make play off appearances, that would be tremendous for the recruiting side and exposure to the University as well. I think the community would embrace that. 

David81

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 28, 2023, 08:05:38 AM
This does look like impressive promotion. Though I have no way of knowing this for sure, I speculate that Valpo had a vision of renewed and expanded promotion that involved the new coach when they interviewed and chose to hire Coach Powell (meaning that it is part of the job expectations and contract with Coach Powell). If this is true, it is clearly a good direction by the athletic department and university.

All things considered, Roger Powell may have been the only viable head coaching candidate around whom all of this hoopla could be built. He's willing to take this program on his shoulders, not only on the court, but into the University and the community.

I think many of us had a sense that Valpo's next head coach was an inflection point hire: Either the program tries to go big and return to relevance, or sputters into being a more or less permanently forgettable mid-major (assuming the University stayed at D1).

Regardless of how this guy does (and my hopes are high), he was the absolute right choice and no amount of hindsight should be allowed to question that. Valpo is taking its best shot at returning to the top tier of mid-majors.