• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2023-24 Men's Basketball Season - General

Started by wh, June 12, 2023, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuny98

Good looking promotion. My question is why waste it on a Monday night game against Trinity?

Would it not be better for a few days later against IUPUI on a Friday night? Maybe they have something else planned then?

VULB#62

Betcha they have something in the wings for IUPUI (and beyond?) and will tweak it based on the initial response to the first shindig.

NativeCheesehead

I don't follow recruiting as much as I used to but this seems odd. Two Top 10 recruits signed to play for Chicago State? I know the CSU coach was their AAU coach but this is all fishy as hell.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/38809045/chicago-state-brothers-sue-ncaa-denied-eligibility

That said, I hope they get their injunction because, A. Eff the NCAA and it's random a$$ rules enforcement, and B. Would love to see these guys play in person at the ARC.

valpopal

I appreciate all the local community outreach the team has been doing. I think such an effort is a commendable priority for Coach Powell. As you can see, this morning some of the players visited Immanuel Lutheran to interact with the students. On an additional note, check out the sharp knight logo for the school, whose teams are called "Valiants." How much easier would it have been, and beneficial as well, to keep many VU constituents happy by compromising and retaining the old Crusader mascot but also simply changing the university team name to Valparaiso Valiants?

[tweet]1724825836144959621[/tweet]

historyman

I was a Valient. I thought of proposing that name and then thought you shouldn't steal from young kids.  ;)

I don't think we had that "knight" helmet symbol 20, 30, 40, 50? years ago.

OMG, has it been that long?

I missed many a shot in that gym. :-)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

AB

Going to be a long season.....Indiana State absolutely mauled IUPUI last night. The frustrations last year of not closing games, not having good guard play in the closing five minutes. All the close losses, wasted performances from Krikke. Remaining optimistic that our energy, effort and defensive intensity is more consistent this year! Let's hope we see steady development as the season goes on.

wh

With student enrollment down 35% in the past decade, it's probably unrealistic to think that the student section will ever be filled to overflowing, like it was was in our glory years.

"Enrollment Trends at VU
The student population at Valparaiso University is 2,958 (2,349 undergraduate and 609 graduate students) . The number of students has decreased by 1,584 over the past decade."

covufan

With Evansville appearing much improved and our team improving incrementally, there will be some tough MVC road trips in February

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David81

So far, we've got three wins over D1 teams, a remarkable first half against Illinois, and a roster of mostly young players who are developing before our eyes. The MVC schedule may be a reality check, but unless these guys completely fall apart (and with this coach I highly doubt it), this is shaping into a fun season.

I'm going to trust Coach Powell and the staff on going with essentially an 8-man rotation early in the season. However, an injury or two will quickly reveal how thin the bench looks right now, and fatigue could set in with players so unaccustomed to playing starters' minutes. I hope the 9-10 guys start seeing more minutes sooner than later. But maybe the staff has decided to go for wins now, simply to change the dynamic of the program.

Also, the core guards are looking like a bunch of streak shooters, and right now their shooting percentages are pretty awful. However, they're showing an ability to catch fire as well. If VU can just manage to keep them, and that's where this coach comes in.

valpotx

I have to admit that I am still getting used to the different kind of anxiety that our new offense is giving me.  I am too used to winding down most of the shot clock, and ending up with some desperate heaves on occasion, versus what we are doing now.  Every time that I see a shot in the first 10-15 seconds, it is almost natural for me to think 'what the heck are you doing,' but that is our new MO :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

In the "good for us" category, Southern, whom Valpo beat 71-59 last weekend, upset #21 Mississippi State today by 60-59! Miss. St. was on its home court and had been favored by 26 points.

vu84v2

Quote from: valpopal on December 03, 2023, 05:26:17 PM
In the "good for us" category, Southern, whom Valpo beat 71-59 last weekend, upset #21 Mississippi State today by 60-59! Miss. St. was on its home court and had been favored by 26 points.

That is surprising. I saw Southern on Tuesday get beat badly by Marquette.

historyman

Mississippi State Men's Basketball Collapses Against Southern, 60-59 - Sports Illustrated Mississippi State Football, Basketball, Recruiting, and More

The Mississippi State Bulldogs lose their second consecutive game, despite starting the season undefeated.

HUNTER DE SIVER

• 2 HOURS AGO

In this story:

MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS
The Mississippi State men's basketball team collapsed in a 60-59 defensive battle against Southern on Sunday.
The No. 21 Bulldogs and Jaguars entered this game with opposite records, but it didn't seem that way.
Mississippi State's excellent start to the 2023-24 season has mainly stemmed from its production on the defensive side of the ball. The Bulldogs' 60.3 points allowed per game is the 11th-best in all of Division I.
[/size][/color][/size]

The Bulldogs' defense helped them out yet again on Sunday, as they collected a total of 12 steals, and held Southern to 21-of-49 shooting from the field, including 6-of-21 from downtown.
Nevertheless, Mississippi State couldn't capitalize on its 17 takeaways as they turned the ball 17 times themselves. Additionally, the Bulldogs shot 21-of-52 from the field, including 7-of-26 from downtown.
Mississippi State has been efficient throughout the season when it comes to spreading the ball around, as the leading scorer typically doesn't tally many more points than the lowest scorer. The Bulldogs finished with a solid 17 assists, but the even turnover ratio discredits the achievement.
Mississippi State looked like it would survive in the latter portion of the second half, but the team would completely collapse on both ends. The Jaguars took advantage of the Bulldogs by going on an astonishing 12-0 run over the final four minutes.

Southern guard Brandon Davis converted the go-ahead layup with 23 seconds remaining. Davis finished the game with 12 points, but Mississippi State was able to limit him throughout the game.
That said, the Bulldogs couldn't stop Jaguars guard Tai-Reon Joseph, who scored a stellar 27 points on 11-of-21 shooting from the field. Joseph also recorded six rebounds and three steals.

Sunday was the Bulldogs' second loss of the season, but it's also their second consecutive one.

BY HUNTER DE SIVER
[/size][/color][/size]
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

AB

Chris Jans is an excellent defensive coach. Did nice things at New Mexico State. Was a free-throw away from defeating Auburn, the year they went to the final four. He inherited a roster that was a hot mess in Starkville and got them in the tourney last year. Let's see what they learn from this. Southern scored the last 12 points of the game today. You can over look teams and still win. This was a terrible loss to a bad team. Inexcusable. They've been demolished by everyone and it shows that Valpo closed door on Southern in the final 5 minutes where as State didn't.

VU2014

valpotx

He should use such things as ammo for future seasons.  He gets a complete pass from me on this year and at least half of next season, as he is likely needing to replace almost the entire roster, to get his guys.  He will have a full year of recruitment under his belt, and will scour the transfer portal, so even if Cooper or any of our young guys leave, I am confident in the folks that he will bring in with that much time to get his true fit for his playing style.  I do hope that Jahari, Cooper, and Kasper stay, but if they don't, I trust that Powell will have some dawgs ready to replace them.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

The only reason these guys will leave is if they get NIL.   That Valpo can't provide.

I believe we had a European recruit big locked and loaded last summer that bailed on us for NIL.  Took NIL vs his strong program connection.  And is getting very little playing time with the team he went to.

VULB#62

Quote from: Chairback on January 14, 2024, 05:44:03 PM
The only reason these guys will leave is if they get NIL.   That Valpo can't provide.

I believe we had a European recruit big locked and loaded last summer that bailed on us for NIL.  Took NIL vs his strong program connection.  And is getting very little playing time with the team he went to.

Did he go P6 or was it a mid major?

wh

Great PO article about this. How it was announced. His excitement and gratitude. What a dynamic leader and motivator Roger is.

NativeCheesehead

Surprised The Times found the space for a Vu article sandwiched between "Mug Shots Of Everyone Ever" & "Jerry Davich: Here's What's Pissing Me Off Today!"