• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 3 Marist (0-2) Homecoming

Started by valpofb16, September 17, 2023, 06:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Valpo takes on Marist who has been routed by Georgetown and Davidson.

They handled Marist last season for a multi score win in New York. The Beacs have more experience on O and D in the two deep.

All being said. This should be a 2-3 score Valpo win. However the offense was dysfunctional last time out.

If Valpo wins the goal for 6 is still alive. If the Beacs lose this game it's doomsday for the record.

I am hoping offensive play calling is really cleaned up.

28-10 Beacs

vu72

I'll be there and hope to meet a few of the Board members .  Ask around at the Donor's tent.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

covufan

Beacons 34 - 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

I hope the staff has worked real hard on a "fix-it list" in order to compete with Marist.  A quick look at the stats to-date in the game preview gives us an indication of where the fix-it list priorities might lie:

VU                  BROKE                       OPP
4/4                 Fumbles/Lost               0/0
5                    Ints thrown                  1
11                  Sacks given up             4
2                    Own punts blocked        1     
1.5                 Yds per rush                 5.4
52.8%            Pass comp %age.         49.2%

Just securing the damn ball and improved OL performance across the board (i.e., run blocking and protecting Mikey) alone would turn the tide.

Sacks, pics, and completion %age (which should be >60%) all are reliant on competent pass protection.  It would appear just from the raw stats that Appel doesn't get much time to read through his progressions, which forces less than accurate throws, too many pics/incompletes or sacks.

Our give-away comparison is also telling -  a total of 11 fumbles lost, punts blocked or pics to our opponents' 2 - combined with 11 sacks, many of which were drive-ending, puts tremendous pressure on even the best of defenses.

The Davidson QB went 17/21 for 303 yards and 5 TDs last week. And Davidson is a run-first team. 

JD24

Statistical analysis which includes a game vs a team a Div or two up (however one wishes to term it) is going to be flawed.

The offense had a bad game vs Indiana Wesleyan and certain aspects of the game have to be improved. One game analysis is also going to be flawed.

So, essentially, until we get into league play we really don't know much at all.

VULB#62

What we do know is that we can't run the ball very well against either a FCS scholarship program (only 40 yards) or an NAIA  program (only 56 yards).  We know that we turned the ball over to an FCS team 3 times (to their 0) and 6 times to the NAIA team (to their 1).  We know that we gave up 5 sacks to the FCS team and 6 to the NAIA TEAM. And we also know that we are impartial as to who we allow to block our punts - each opponent got one.  On the contrary, we know quite a bit about this team so far.  But much of that is correctable.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on September 19, 2023, 11:30:38 AMStatistical analysis which includes a game vs a team a Div or two up (however one wishes to term it) is going to be flawed.

Have agree that we have obvious things to correct but also that statistical analysis this early is tough.  Remember, of the five interceptions throw, two were tipped and was a desperation first half ending throw that worked out as well as a punt.  Also, if you take out all the sack yardage, we are more like 3.4 running per carry.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Sorry, guys, but tipped passes and desperate throw's don't change the fact that things that contributed to those conditions existed because of breakdowns that either preceded or were present at the time of each play. 

Good teams make their own luck through solid execution. We just aren't there yet — but we can be. The bye week was a needed gift. 

If the fix-it list is adequately addressed, Beacons 31 Red Foxes 17.

valpofb16

Starting a converted FR OT at center in Noah Kline. Woody and Smith should help with the interior.

Kline had great HS film and multiple PFL offers. Him , Russell, Mcilvenna are all large bodies in the two deep.

My hope is to retain these guys and the RSFR Smith, Kotoles , and Paic and start forming something of a foundation there

Side Bar: If Pauley is a true center, and played 8 games for a viable offense in Presbyterian last year with spring experience. Why isn't he just slotted into in?

Wonder if this is an eligibility mishap or Fox is trying to trying to redshirt 90% of roster

valpotx

Very cool to see both the 2003 Volleyball Mid-Con champs being honored this weekend, as well as the 2003 Football PFL champs.  We won several championships that athletic year, which was my final year on campus. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Yeah, it is a shame that the MVC schedulers put WSO on the road this weekend.  It would have been a homecoming weekend championship trifecta.

usc4valpo

Welcome to Gameday at the mecca of college football, venerable Brown Field! Valpo wins easy today.

JD24

I don't trust the offense at this point. It's possible that Coach Fox's weakness is the inability to hire a decent OC. The lineman jumping up and down play I found a bit disturbing unless it was just to get something on tape as a "yeah we can do really stupid things sometimes" play.

So we may be looking at a 17-6 "blowout" of Marist.

VULB#62

Oooops! Muffed punt.  Hands the ball to Marist inside the 20.  Special Teams error again.

VULB#62

VU up 7-3. Mikey to Solo show so far.

valpofb16

Appel 9-10 on passing. Touchdown. By far our best asset when he's on

valpofb16

14-3 , Glad we snuck it on the 1 yard line. No empty sets or useless motion.

VULB#62

14-3 after Marist punter couldn't catch the snap.

soapyjeans

I don't get it, why on earth is Valpo using running plays with 3 min left in 2nd qtr, knowing the clock keeps running.   :o 

Valpo14

You guys that sing Fox praises on Defense need to re evaluate your football knowledge
We are losing to an awful team

valpofb16

Offense has one first down since the first quarter. Need to know football.

Defense can't be out there for a 9 minute, 90 yard drive and then trot back out 45 seconds later.

This offense isn't competitive. 98 yards and only reason a second TD was scored was a botched snap

Without a botched kick return (Tezzos second of the year) have given up 14 to a team that scored 21 on Davidson.

The offense is abysmal

valpofb16

Doomsday. With SW Minnesota giving scholarships and Stetson hanging with Butler.

0-11 is not unrealistic.