• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #6 - (2-3) Morehead State

Started by VULB#62, October 11, 2023, 08:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Game notes and two-deep are out for the Morehead game. No Mikey. QBs are Jackson and R-F Rowan Keefe.  Butler listed as #2 RB. I'm interested to see if he gets enough snaps so that we will be able to see how well he runs from the LOS. Teams are now  kicking away from him on KOs.

Morehead has a decent offense running up 31 points last week against Dayton. In three PFL games they have allowed 58 points to our 56 in two.

valpofb16

Morehead seems to score points very well and we ermmm don't. Their defense also looks better than typical Morehead

31-14 Eagles

soapyjeans

I'm cautiously optimistic, after all we saw Mikey go scoreless for 3 quarters, then Jackson comes in the 4th and throws 2 TD's to Sol...  So I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what Jackson can do for an entire game.  And maybe see Keefe.  Its not like Valpo has a choice now, so hopefully they can make the best of what they have to work with today.  Go Beacons!

JD24

Jackson's main attraction is that he's mobile and he was playing against a defense looking more for statue. His arm appears to be fairly limited and he missed a couple of throws last week by a fair margin in the short time he was in there. The TD to Davis was essentially a fling. Without a ton of help at either RB or WR and with at least a little bit of tape for MSU to view, I don't have a ton of hope for the offense.

David81

Would be a great story if 6th year QB Jackson brings this team into the win column. It sounds like he has been a total team player since Day 1, including excelling at scout team duties. I root for guys like that.

covufan

We get our first PFL win this season.

VU 31 - 24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

valpofb16

Well well well how the turn tables

Also Drake is murdering Saint Thomas for their 6th straight win

valpofb16

Valpo had opportunity to take a field goal and go up 10 with 6:50 left and Morehead State with two timeouts.

As a defender of him. This was on him.

JD24

Going for it on 4th down was stupid. Take the points.

However.....

...absolutely attrocious DB play after that.

valpofb16

I have a feeling the guy who elected to go for it on 4th down is the same guy that coaches corners....

That was worst non talent related coaching loss I've seen in my 10 related years

They had a 95.5% expectancy to win on ESPN with 2:31 left and loss

VULB#62

This result is so depressing. Not taking 3 points that were a virtual gift. Thus eventually hanging the game on a 0.00 FG instead of forcing MSU to score a FG to tie rather tha; win (and even then handing them two tries).

But....

Despite the deep frustration, I remember the decade of embarrassment during the Adams/Carlson era and, to a lesser degree, with the inadequate-defense Cecchini years.  And the fact that our last 5 losses have been by one score, and that about half of Fox's games have been decided by one score tells me that Valpo is almost there competitively — there is a magic pill (maybe a higher assistant coach salary budget? ? ?) out there somewhere; Fox and Smart have just got to find it. Soon.  Despite the memories,  I am not satisfied with what I just described. Smart and Fox better not be either.

VULB#62

Didja see the Drake -Tommies score?

We are so close, dammit!

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 14, 2023, 04:18:04 PMI have a feeling the guy who elected to go for it on 4th down is the same guy that coaches corners.... That was worst non talent related coaching loss I've seen in my 10 related years They had a 95.5% expectancy to win on ESPN with 2:31 left and loss
Earnest Moore vs SD in Cecchini's first year. Could have been a great sendoff to the seniors who'd been tortured under Carlson and he leaves a DB on an island on the final play.

valpofb16

That's not what happened that play. Since it was 9 years ago let bygones be bygones

valpofb16

Gut punch of a loss watched presser. Fox gave them green light to punch it in. It's not his fault Symmes came out in Empty again on the goaline for a QB run.

I mean it's just inadequate. It's not a talent deal, I truly believe and many players have shown they can win in this league.

But Symmes has taken a video game approach to this season. I hope the school ponies up so we can get more than a former water boy/volunteer on staff to call the plays

Why on earth you don't make it a two score game in the fourth is beyond me.

Furious to say least. Fox was missing two key starters and D played well for 46 minutes.

David81

Unless he's got absolutely no faith in his kicker and in his defense, passing up the field goal try was a humongous blunder.

To his great credit, Coach Fox has assembled a roster capable of winning at this level. But the coaching staff is undermining the talent on the field. Maybe you don't win all the close ones, but this team could easily be 4-2 and in conference contention.

usc4valpo

This is Fox's third year. You have to win games and seal the deal properly at this stage. You can only be so patient where the results are not there. I certainly not saying to search for a new coach, but discussion of an extension should be off the table.

usc4valpo

I am not sure it was addressed in the press conference on the decision to go for it on fourth down instead of the sensible decision to kick the FG and be up by 10. Is the media soft? Are they concerned Cox will let out his inner Ditka?

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 15, 2023, 01:07:30 AMThat's not what happened that play. Since it was 9 years ago let bygones be bygones
I'm actually fairly curious as to what did happen on that play that led to the result because it appeared to be a major cluster you know what. Do tell if you have a moment.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 15, 2023, 01:10:15 AM
Gut punch of a loss watched presser. Fox gave them green light to punch it in. It's not his fault Symmes came out in Empty again on the goaline for a QB run..

WHAT  :o  ?  I did not see the game nor listen to it. But, man, when you've got a very, very young OL that has trouble controlling the LOS, page one in the the basic football 101 text book is overwhelm and outnumber at the point of attack. You can't do that with an empty backfield.  What makes this even more of a head scratcher is that today's rules allow pushing the pile - hard to do with Empty.

Pgmado

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 15, 2023, 08:29:11 AM
I am not sure it was addressed in the press conference on the decision to go for it on fourth down instead of the sensible decision to kick the FG and be up by 10. Is the media soft? Are they concerned Cox will let out his inner Ditka?

Did you watch the press conference? Did you read the story? What are you not sure about?