• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bradley WBB head coach suspended

Started by historyman, November 13, 2023, 07:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

https://sports.yahoo.com/bradley-suspends-womens-basketball-coach-183724771.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEPol02eqWrEmLCtZDQ4tcUKK3azWMe81ExjHlaSN0GmkyT7Uwue92cE7JtkjYmYrsQ0OrreiWvcoj4XFO8kbDX4rqcHmhDBxvwyfMxLxREKPt0TjyEl4CndZAdw-gjTRfgQJp9EeLLU2V8s7Z1Or4T4QP94a0kKxODClhq6y0LN

The school said the second-year coach is suspended through the rest of the nonconference season, which is 10 games, starting Sunday with a scheduled game against Central Michigan. Assistant Armelia Horton will serve as interim coach for the Braves (0-1), who lost their season opener on Nov. 6 at Kansas City.

"This decision has been made in accordance with the university's commitment to upholding the values and standards expected of its staff," the school said in a release. "Further details will not be disclosed at this time, as the university respects the confidentiality of personnel matters."

https://www.pjstar.com/story/sports/college/basketball/bradley-hoops/2023/11/11/bradley-womens-basketball-coach-suspended-for-nonconference-season/71554479007/

BRADLEY HOOPSBradley suspends women's basketball coach for rest of nonconference season
Wes Huett
Peoria Journal Star

Bradley has suspended women's basketball coach Kate Popovec-Goss for at least 10 games, according to release from the schoolThe school said the second-year coach is suspended through the rest of the nonconference season, which is 10 games, starting Sunday with a scheduled game against Central Michigan. Assistant Armelia Horton will serve as interim coach for the Braves (0-1), who lost their season opener on Nov. 6 at Kansas City."This decision has been made in accordance with the university's commitment to upholding the values and standards expected of its staff," theschool said in a release. "Further details will not be disclosed at this time, as the university respects the confidentiality of personnel matters."
Cody Roskens, the school's assistant director of athletic communications, had no additional comment when asked Saturday during BU's men's basketball game.

The Bradley women are scheduled to open the Missouri Valley Conference season on Dec. 30.Background:Why Bradley was the perfect fit for its newest women's basketball coach
Popovec-Goss was hired in April 2022 after time as associate head coach and recruiting director at Northwestern. She took over for Andrea Gorski, who retired in late March after 25 years of coaching.Popovec played at Pittsburgh and Northwestern, then returned to her alma mater as an assistant in 2017. In the spring of 2018, she was named Northwestern's recruiting and defensive coordinator. The up-and-coming coach was named associate head coach under Joe McKeown at Northwestern in August of 2021 before landing with Bradley for the 2022-23 season.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Hmmmm..............  no further details?  That's a sure-fire way to turbocharge the rumor mill.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 13, 2023, 07:56:34 AM
Hmmmm..............  no further details?  That's a sure-fire way to turbocharge the rumor mill.
Let the speculation commence.

Serious enough for 10 games. Kept in house, so not reported to NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpopal

An additional wrinkle in this situation is that her husband is an assistant coach, and he remains active on the team, though he was not given the interim position. Curious to see if any details emerge, especially since suspension for the whole non-conference season seems a bit lengthy for in-house discipline. Odd if we do not find out. However, it is still unreported why the VU bowling coach was fired two weeks ago in mid-season.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on November 13, 2023, 10:31:37 AM
However, it is still unreported why the VU bowling coach was fired two weeks ago in mid-season.
I thought it was odd when I first read that happened, within several hours of being posted. I'm sure there is some speculation within the bowling community, but odd we haven't heard anything. Who is leading the team?  Did they get someone from Shipshewana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: covufan on November 13, 2023, 10:40:40 AMWho is leading the team?  Did they get someone from Shipshewana?

Apparently, nobody   https://www.valpoathletics.com/wbowling/coaches/

I imagine the rep from the athletic dept drives them to the opponents' bowling alleys and hands in a roster and the bowlers take care of the bowl coaching themselves. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Reading past articles going back to days as a player, she didn't have any indications of any kind of stuff like abusive behavior other than she played hard-nosed, physical  basketball. Everything in the past all pointed to a positive coaching career.

EDIT:  the more I looked into the basketball-related stories surrounding her coaching and relationships with players, the more it seems like this suspension is way out of character from typical reasons for a coach to be suspended.

valpopal

Speaking of head coach suspensions, I see that Bryant's head coach, Jared Grasso, has resigned today after having been placed on leave more than a month ago. The university has never given a reason for his suspension, though he was rumored to be going through personal difficulties of some kind. The odd thing I noticed on Verbal Commits is that Grasso currently has more than 200 open basketball scholarship offers to high school recruits for the '24, '25, and '26 seasons.

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on November 13, 2023, 06:43:42 PM
The odd thing I noticed on Verbal Commits is that Grasso currently has more than 200 open basketball scholarship offers to high school recruits for the '24, '25, and '26 seasons.

What? None for 2027?