• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #11 - @ (6-1) University of St. Thomas

Started by VULB#62, November 16, 2023, 05:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

The Tommies are good, but not as good as last year. There are chinks in their armor, part of which, IMO, is that the rest of the league has gotten to know them better and can game plan better.

Valpo, if they can find a way, can end the season with a three game win streak.

[Wudda, Cudda, Shudda Department]

>:(  We were a "close but no cigar" 2pt. conversion from OT v. IWU who are now 9-1 and ranked #6 in the country and have a first round bye in the NAIA national championship tournament.

>:(  We lose in OT to Marist in OT with a sputtering O all day - even though the box score says we scored 30 points  ::)

>:(  We lose a one score game to Drake, in Des Moines, who is now in a position to win an automatic bid to the FCS Championship.

Dang, we CAN upset UST.  We just have to play inspired football.

valpotx

I think that we pull a surprise here:

Valpo 24
St. Thomas 21
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

Tommies are 14-1 in their last 15 regular season finales.

They have the second best scoring defense in PFL. We had 187 total yards with Dawson in 2022 and 210 with Washington in 2021.

Numbers don't look great for this Beacs offense. Defense hangs tough but will be on field 80% of the game.

Hoping for a surprise but the offense looked completely disjointed against the worst defense in the PFL

17-3 Tommies

JD24

Not sure who's quarterbacking and it may not matter but I'd say:

31-3 after the defense pitters out from too much time on the field.

covufan

We don't get that three game winning streak.  Maybe next decade.

St. Thomas 27
Valpo          14

historyman

Quote from: JD24 on November 17, 2023, 02:25:36 PM
Not sure who's quarterbacking and it may not matter but I'd say:

31-3 after the defense pitters out from too much time on the field.

Modeling the MBB game against Illinois is that the score of the 2nd half after Valpo takes a 21-10 lead in the first half for a final score of 41-24 to the Tommie guns.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

10-10 3 minutes left in the 3rd!  We've only allowed 39 yards rushing so far!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Unable to watch, but followed on GameTracker.  We lose 10-16. DEFENSE WAS AWESOME FOR FARRRRRRRR TOO LONG.

SO WE FRIGGIN LOSE.  AGAIN.

Yes, OL is young, but.......   >:(  hell, I'd bring back Carlson's offense schemes (he even didn't have the talent Landon has brought in) and passing game in a heartbeat, if it would enable our better athletes on that side of the ball to control the ball, make crucial 3rd downs, and complete drives.

I fervently hope Smart and Fox will sit down right away this next week and figure out the direction of Valpo FB. It may or not include Landon (and it could be either's decision).  But for the last few seasons VU has been better than any other Valpo FB program in decades. That's gotta count for something. Going after a new guy is always a crap shot. We know what we have with Fox in 2 of the 3 phases of football. The deficient component is offense.

IMO, give this guy the tool$ to upgrade that piece.  Give him a two year contract extension that includes a rolling 1 year extension option after each season, and provide the financial commitment to succeed.

valpo64

VULB#62 is right on track as far as I am concerned.  Fox should be our man with a renewed effort on the part of the University to step up our program to the extent it is possible to do.

usc4valpo

Agree with last 2 comments, but they need more talent and a better OC.

VULB#62

I'm sure that'll be the bulk of the negotiations..

soapyjeans

mY 2 :twocents:  I'd like to see less focus on RB's (running game) and start using WR, TE to get 1st downs if not TD's.  Why not use short/med plays for solely for 1st downs?  Current QB (Keefe) is doing pretty good job. 

valpofb16

I say this with all due respect. The Valpo football offense was incompetent this season. Dating back to IWU.

I am hoping coach Fox stays as the defense was superb with upcoming players in the pipeline.

No need to beat a dead horse but I echo 62. An entire offensive rebuild is needed.

JD24

I'm in agreement with those calling for an offensive revamp. The problem may be that Fox doesn't want to hang around to see if the revamp comes to pass. Either Fox has no idea how to choose an OC or the financial setup is not good enough to bring competency on that side of the ball.

I know which I think it is.

VULB#62

Just checked the final PFL scores and standings.

Drake beat Butler in a pretty close one (13-9) to get the title and AQ. But here is the stunner- Dayton destroyed Davidson 45-14. Dayton!  :o

One other thing of note to go along with the theme of this string: Valpo scored the fewest points among PFL teams this season - 147 in 8 games (18.3 ppg).  Our scoring defense was the 4th best in the PFL - 182 (25.3 ppg).  Imagine if the offense could have just extended one more drive per game and scored one more TD a game (we lost 4 one-score PFL games).  Chances are we would have given up even fewer points cuz the D wouldn't  have had its back up against the wall as often.  Hey, wuddah, cuddah, shuddah.

valpofb16

If offense has a pulse against IWU, Morehead , Saint Thomas this is a 6 win team.

Vanvleet from Dayton is an Indy area kid and a really good one. He will be a problem for the league the next 3 seasons.

usc4valpo

The next month or so will be interesting for the VU football program. Fox has done an admirable job given the resources and scenario, and he will get an extension. The players are playing to their abilities and they compete which you have to praise.  However, Will VU commit for better coaching and resources and not just use football as an activity to bring in male students? In reality, the university uses this program as a lean mean revenue making machine to bring in students and tuition. I agree with JD24 about what Fox's next moves are, as the opportunities to grow may not exist at Valpo. Let the record for the past decades be used as evidence.

vu72

Agree the offense was anemic at best...but, remember a couple of things that might bode better for the future. The two deeps on the offensive line included three true freshman, two red shirt freshman, one red shirt sophomore, one red shirt junior and...ONE senior who could come back for a fifth year.  Add to that that we we finished the season starting out third string quarterback and I would say there is some hope for the future.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

While the offensive line was young the best prospect Mason Smith was not on two deep last 4 weeks.

Does he hit portal? Our previous best OL prospects hit the portable (Orr / Merklinger).

Prevost was not Symmes hire and with salary restraints I give it a 5% shot the combination is back. Meaning, a new OL coach regardless.

I honestly won't be shocked if Appel hits the portal. He was put in an unsafe situation, especially the slow snaps game.

Davis and Butler are graduating. Our RT and LG walked on senior day. Vickers did as well. Jernegan is coming off an ACL.

That is absolutely bleak. If Symmes does not have locker room Valpo needs to cut bait Monday and beat the Carousel and get right to the portal.

Symmes is young and can improve. If they are not cutting bait the University needs to supply proper salaries for him to maintain an offensive staff.

Doomsday is if Fox steps down at any point between now and next August.

VULB#62

With 72 on the upside of the OL.  But sobered by 16's insight.  Anyone know fer sure what Mikey's injury really was? 

We, historically, have had lousy luck with QBs with shoulder injuries. Dalton Stokes, Chris Duncan and Jimmy Seewald, didn't they all at one time or another have shoulders that limited their full potential?

If it is not a shoulder, then there will be a pretty good battle with Keefe this spring and next fall. No matter who wins out, the (next?) OC has to bring in a system that optimizes the control passing game and leverages the quarterback's strengths.

VULB#62

usc4valpo

Ok. I remember Seewald who was playing well until he got hurt.

valpofb16

Appel was nothing ligament from what I've heard.

Duncan never got hurt was beat out by Nimz who I believe won 9 games in two seasons.

Appel was not what we saw last season this year. Really starting since Drake last year until his injury this year.