• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #8. Valpo @ Belmont 12/2/23 on ESPN+ at 1pm CST

Started by VUSWIM08-12, November 29, 2023, 08:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

Starting this at halftime of the Drake game , mainly because I'll be attending. I live an hour south of Nashville! If anyone else is going let me know if you wanna meet up for some late morning beverages. Definitely a winnable game!

Po' 78
Bruins 75

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

tjjvalpo

Belmont just beat Northern Iowa at Northern Iowa by 20. I'm afraid the score wil be more like

Belmont 82
Valpo 68

covufan

Quote from: tjjvalpo on November 29, 2023, 10:24:37 PM
Belmont just beat Northern Iowa at Northern Iowa by 20.

I smell a trap game!

Valpo 73
Belmont 71

historyman

Valpo Beacons with a fading lighthouse light  61

Belmont Bruins mauling the unsuspecting  92
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

Thanks WH for, dare I say, Volunteering, to start this game thread...

Taking a dive into Belmont's pool...

Recapping what they did to UNI last night...

CEDAR FALLS, IOWA - - In one of its most complete performances in recent memory, Belmont University men's basketball earned a 90-70 victory at Northern Iowa Wednesday night from the McLeod Center.

The Bruins earned a third consecutive victory – and improved to 3-0 all-time against the Panthers – behind an impressive blend of defense, unity and shotmaking.

Belmont held Northern Iowa to one field goal the first four-plus minutes of the game as four of the five Bruins started scored during a stirring 14-2 start.

Two more Cade Tyson 3-pointers extended the margin to 22-9 as the Bruins forced contested shots and rebounded with force.

The Bruins were active and purposeful; making effort plays at the rim and on the floor.

Keishawn Davidson and Malik Dia provided quality production off the bench, as five straight Dia points made the score 33-19 with 6:33 left in the first half.

After Nate Heise closed the margin to 33-29, Dia made a baseline jump shot and Tyson added a tough basket.

Belmont led 37-31 at halftime.

Belmont shot 48 percent (14-for-29) in the opening 20 minutes – including 5-for-12 from 3-point distance.

Tyson made another impressive move to open the second half before Brigham Rogers tacked on a layin as the Bruins maintained an eight-point lead.

Tytan Anderson scored inside to get Northern Iowa within 43-39 with 16:53 left, before Belmont responded.

A confident 3-pointer from Isaiah Walker sparked another huge Belmont run.

Featuring dazzling drives from Ja'Kobi Gillespie, determined Tyson finishes and more strong play from Dia and Davidson, the Bruins pushed the lead to 64-44 with 11:47 left on a Davidson straight-on 3-pointer.

Belmont's attentive team defense on Northern Iowa's outstanding guard duo of Bowen Born and Nate Heise forced the Panthers to make offensive adjustments.

The Bruins maintained defensive focus and consistency, as two Jayce Willingham free throws made the score 76-51 with 6:26 left.

All told, Belmont shot 53 percent (30-for-57) from the field – including 11-for-22 from 3-point distance.

Belmont outrebounded Northern Iowa, 38-27, and held the Panthers to four second-chance points.

The Bruins also limited Born and Heise to 5-for-19 shooting.

Tyson led four Bruins in double figures with 22 points and eight rebounds.

Gillespie had 18 points, three assists and three steals.

Dia had 16 points and four rebounds while Davidson had a season-high 14 points and two assists.

Willingham had nine points and five rebounds while Walker had eight points, eight rebounds, two assists and zero turnovers in an impressive floor game.

Trey Campbell led Northern Iowa (2-5, 0-1 MVC) with 13 points.

Belmont (5-3, 1-0 MVC) returns to game action Saturday vs. Valparaiso.

Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. CT from the Curb Event Center. Game will be broadcast on ESPN+ and the ESPN app. The live play-by-play of Steve Layman can be heard on Belmont Bruins Radio on iHeartRadio. In-game updates will be available via Twitter @BelmontMBB.

AND... taking a look at the Bruin season...

Beat GA State 89-87 - HOME GAME
Lost to Furman 99-76 - AWAY
(squashed Berry College 93-59) - HOME GAME
Got squashed by Arizona 100-68 - AWAY
Lost to Monmouth 93-84 - Neutral
Beat Penn 84-79 in OT at the Palestra
Beat Lafayette 79-69 - Neutral
Beat UNI 90-70 - AWAY

NUMBER CRUNCH

Shooting 49% from the field (valpo 39)
Shooting 38% from 3pt (valpo 32)
Shooting 68.4% from the line (valpo 68.7)
Rebounding 34.9/game (valpo 38.9)
Turnovers 13.3/game (valpo 10.6)
Steals 8/game (valpo 6.4)
Average Home Attendance:  1,871 (valpo 1458)... including last night, 1,474

PLAYER STATS

10 Tyson Cade (6'7" sophomore)  Averaging 18.6/ppg, 46% from 3, 89.5% from the line, averaging 31 minutes/game, Asst/TO: 14/7

00  Ja'Kobi Gillespie (6"1" sophomore)  averaging 16.5/ppg, 38% from 3, 83% from the line Asst/TO  31/25, and 19 steals

04  Malik Dia, (6'9" 240 pound sophomore, Vanderbilt)  averaging 16.3 ppg, leading rebounder at 5.3/game, 56% from the line, Asst/TO 9/18 ! has 9 blocked shots

05  Jayce Willingham (6'5" 220 pound Graduate Student), averaging 9.5 ppg, 49% from the field, 45% from 3, leading offensive rebounder, 68% from the line Asst/TO 14/5

01  Isaiah Walker, averaging 6 ppg,  along with Ja'Kobi, only other player to start all 8 games

6th man is Keishawn Davidson, the only true Senior on the roster transfer from Tennessee Tech, and they have no juniors!

After Valpo, the rest of their schedule is close to home:

Lipscomb - home
Middle Tennessee State - away
Samford - away
Arkansas State - Home

valpotx

Good to see that the attendance woes aren't only hitting Valpo
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Losing a lot will do that to a program especially at the mid major level.

I'm encouraged by what I've seen from Valpo so far considering it's year one and Powell inhereted a program in dire need of... well... everything that makes a program successful. But still, hanging with teams for a half before losing is disheartening. Hopefully we see these efforts begin to bear more fruit towards the end of the year and certainly in year 2. I'd love to see an Evansville or UIC level surprise turnaround where Valpo is hanging with and beating good teams especially at the mid major level. Speaking of UIC, they are looking like a surprisingly strong basketball add and that is GREAT for the conference. If the MVC can get Murray Belmont and us back to  the levels we were all once accustomed to the league will be in terrific shape.

wh

Quote from: talksalot link=topic=4599.msg152944# msg152944 date=1701352538

I didn't start the thread, but let me take this opportunity to thank you again for all the pre-game insights into another opponent.

Bumbo

Seven guys played big minutes against UNI.  Case Tyson will remind some of Tucker Devries a big wing who shoots it. They have two very good combos in 0 Gillespie and 3 Davidson both quick and athletic Darius will have his hands full. Rogers and Dia share time as the low post threat. Walker has a nice Bubbles Hawkins-esque 'fro and is their best rebounder. A very solid team that likes to play fast and who shot the lights out at UNI. A very tough test.

covufan

Quote from: wh on December 01, 2023, 01:15:45 PM
Quote from: talksalot link=topic=4599.msg152944# msg152944 date=1701352538

I didn't start the thread, but let me take this opportunity to thank you again for all the pre-game insights into another opponent.
Yes.

Thank you both

We need any insight into our season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: talksalot on November 30, 2023, 07:55:38 AMVolunteering, to start this game thread... Taking a dive into Belmont's pool...
Awwwww, is talksalot making Tennessee and swim puns because he didn't get to start the thread or?? Better do all  of the seasons game threads now so your valuable insight is seen first... god forbid someone starts a thread without an essay!

SPEEDYPITCHER37

Belmont with the 23rd-fastest tempo in the country, per KenPom. Could be a high scoring game.

Belmont 86
Valpo 71

justducky

Several games straight I've experienced 2nd half ESPN+ problems. Is it just my system or have any of you had issues?

I'm not pleased with our play but I'm not overly disappointed either. I expect we will have a lot of results like this in the next 2 months. Sepp played like someone who has the potential to contribute but it is too early for me to foresee his defensive and scoring roles. Edwards looks like the leader for 3'rd option scorer but he hasn't grabbed that honor yet and I am somewhat uncertain if he ever will. Unfortunate but given our roster, inexperience and injuries I don't see any easy answers to our problems but time and muted expectations should help Roger and the staff find solutions.

tjjvalpo

Valpo actually played Belmont even after Belmont's 9-0 run to start the game. Seems like it was another teachable moment for the Rev. Early timeout to help them refocus and understand the intensity that they will see when playing on the road. They didn't get that at Illinois because Illinois thought they could just show up and walk all over Valpo.

VULB#62

Attendance 1,532. Not much better than ours, and they are supposed to be fighting it out for a spot in the top third of the MVC.

Two free throws all freakin game.  :o

Bumbo

While this group looks together offensively generally sharing the ball and getting the best shot most possessions, for Valpo to stay competitive consistency defending and rebounding is needed. Yesterday was a step backward in both those areas. Coach needs to recruit another big for sure.

AB

Don't know if the guy who hurt his knee in the offseason (Manyang?) will be of service by season's end, but from all accounts was going to be in the rotation and much needed defensive presence with his length. Palm is serviceable, but he should spend hours on his mid range jump shot, only shoot when he's wide open underneath or just be a rebounding machine. He reminds me someways of Kinkas Gomes, style of awkward/raw athleticism. Biggest concern moving forward outside of interior defense, is our style of play. Players are getting gassed early every game. Only an 8 man rotation.
As far as the Belmont game, yeah we lost it in the first 5 minutes, but we have no margin for error if we want to win a conference game.

covufan

I didn't watch game, but with only two FTs taken, tough to win a close game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David81

After reading Paul's MVC preview in TVB and following the first two conference games, I'm tempering my optimism that this team can finish at .500 or better. It's not a knock on Valpo, but rather a bow to the level of talent in the MVC this year. Just look at Belmont, which brought a strong overall W-L record into the MVC last year and apparently hasn't missed a beat.

That said, this team will grow and improve over the course of the season, and it could win a game or two in Arch Madness if they stay healthy and eventually go 9-10 deep each game to maintain the up tempo style.

We've got some very pleasant signs already. Stafford is a big scorer, and if he can hit even a little over 40 percent of his shots, then we've got a JFL-type player on the roster. Also, could anyone have guessed that Schwieger might well outpace Alec Peters's first year? And after showing that he might be such a huge liability in terms of scoring that opposing teams barely have to guard him, DeAveiro is growing into a complete point guard. Finally, so many of the other newcomers have had impressive moments.

VUSWIM08-12

Very few Valpo fans in attendance , I met Connor Barrett's parents and other than that just Powell's family from what I saw !! I liked Powell's sideline presence , was giving it to Jaxon Edwards at one point , showed emotion , much better than Lottich IMO!

valpotx

Let's hold off on comparing Palm to Kikas Gomes.  Kikas worked his way out of any awkwardness around halfway into his FR season, while Palm is a Senior and still figuring it out.  If you remember, the primary reason that we lose to SUU in the Mid-Con tourney that year, was because of mono going around the team, and Kikas being hurt for at least the championship game.  Kikas was a valuable contributor very early on.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

Kikas could defend and also hit the 3.  And was extremely athletic. 

Palm'is playing because we have no other options.  He just never been developed