• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2024 Recruiting

Started by valpofb16, December 17, 2023, 03:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SG

JT Gawrys: 6' 3" WR from Brentwood HS. That is a big-time program out of TN.  Besides Tulane, he had other notable offers from Hillsdale, U. of Indianapolis & McKendree.

valpofb16

62 I hear your frustration however. The 2 QBs we took , Brown was a 2* ranked on 247 and was deciding between PFL schools and Dinuzzo had an offer to NEC Wagner.

Tough to say we struck out there.

Same thing with Amir Simmons and Noah Long. Amir had offers to Dayton/Butler. Long comes from a TX powerhouse and was pursued hard by Trinity.

We also don't know those kids grades of FASFA situations...

VULB#62

As you already know from our offline chats, 16, my vent wasn't that the kids didn't get offers.  It is that at no cost to the coaches, except for a little time sending an form email invite to an evaluation camp which the kids would have paid for) or just an invitation to visit campus, these kids might have had a shot to impress (beyond Hudl clips, which, in their case, were graphically of poor quality and got posted late in the recruiting cycle). Why ignore a QB who was ranked in the top 5 in the state of WI regardless of HS size classification?  Or a  6', 200# RB that has rushed for over 5,000 yards? Both, BTW, are high 3.0 students. Shoot, at least say, hi, is what I'm sayin.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 01, 2024, 01:01:25 PM
As you already know from our offline chats, 16, my vent wasn't that the kids didn't get offers.  It is that at no cost to the coaches, except for a little time sending an form email invite to an evaluation camp which the kids would have paid for) or just an invitation to visit campus, these kids might have had a shot to impress (beyond Hudl clips, which, in their case, were graphically of poor quality and got posted late in the recruiting cycle). Why ignore a QB who was ranked in the top 5 in the state of WI regardless of HS size classification?  Or a  6', 200# RB that has rushed for over 5,000 yards? Both, BTW, are high 3.0 students. Shoot, at least say, hi, is what I'm sayin.
I've heard from a few graduates of VU from the mid 1980's that when their children were athletes and looking at colleges they asked if the current coaching staff (different sports than football) would please have a conversation with potential student athlete. Crickets for most. Turned a few potential donors off. I wonder why VU lost a law school and is currently in some financial/attendance problems. The Christian notion of being nice to one another is lost at VU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpofb16

Hopefully hiring more alumni will help this. for a vast majority of Valpo football these coaches have been 1-2 year rentals outside of the HC with 0 ties to the University or their alumni outside of the HC.

There have been few exceptions Muckian and Gladney come to mind. But there is no "Valpo coaching tree/alumni network". Landon really has only had RJ stay the entirety of his career and he's acknowledged the very few guys I've sent.

Jarnigan is a step in the right direction. But in terms of alumni sending their kids? This is an FCS program not a buddies network. They aren't offering scholarships anyway they are more than welcome to walk on in spring.

soapyjeans

RJ does a great job recruiting.  Looking forward to Jarnigan. 

valpotx

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 01, 2024, 06:42:50 AM
62 I hear your frustration however. The 2 QBs we took , Brown was a 2* ranked on 247 and was deciding between PFL schools and Dinuzzo had an offer to NEC Wagner.

Tough to say we struck out there.

Same thing with Amir Simmons and Noah Long. Amir had offers to Dayton/Butler. Long comes from a TX powerhouse and was pursued hard by Trinity.

We also don't know those kids grades of FASFA situations...

Trinity University is always top notch in regards to pretty much all sports at the D3 level.  They've been that way ever since I was in HS.  My brother played baseball there, and it was my fallback if I didn't get any D1 bites. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

New Commit: Max Munoz 6'2 245 DL St Laurence HS. ILL

Other Offers: UW plattville, UW Stout, John carrol, North park, Knox, Lake Forest, Loras, Benedictine, Concordia Wisconsin, Lawrence Univeristy, Saint Ambrose

valpofb16

New Commit: Dan Theiss 6'2 265 DL Saint Francis HS ILL.

Other Offers: North Central, Roosevelt, UW Plattville, Lawrence Tech

valpofb16

New Commit: Michael Biesboer 6'3 280 OL, Marian Catholic HS ILL

Other offers: Miss State Valley, Concordia Saint Paul, Central State, Quincy, Upper Iowa, Roosevelt

valpo95

Quote from: covufan on February 01, 2024, 02:28:00 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 01, 2024, 01:01:25 PM
I've heard from a few graduates of VU from the mid 1980's that when their children were athletes and looking at colleges they asked if the current coaching staff (different sports than football) would please have a conversation with potential student athlete. Crickets for most. Turned a few potential donors off. I wonder why VU lost a law school and is currently in some financial/attendance problems. The Christian notion of being nice to one another is lost at VU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only done this once, yet observed this sort of behavior myself - my neighbor (well, my neighbor's son) was a very good football player who wanted to study engineering. He was second team all-state, and a team captain for his HS (on team that made the state semi-final in the highest division) - he knew he would not be getting a D1 football scholarship, yet was looking for a top-quality academic school in the Midwest with an excellent engineering program.

Several years ago in the offseason, I sent the position coach and the offensive coordinator my neighbor's hudl link, his address and cell phone number. I received no reply from either coach, and my neighbor got nothing from VU.

Fast forward, and my neighbor is playing at a top D-III football program. Last season, my neighbor appeared in all ten games as a sophomore, and was on the dean's list in electrical engineering (at a school with a national reputation higher than VU).

Are the coaches so busy they can't have an office assistant send out some info to a potential player? Even if they decide not to recruit my neighbor, couldn't they send a quick reply to me as VU alum? Those coaches have moved on, yet it was not a great look.   

valpofb16

New Commit: Chris Kouts 6'3 225 ATH Duncan HS Oklahoma

Other Offers: Olivet Nazarene, Carleton

Notes: Very fast, if size is true maybe looking at another Norberg.

Valpo95: Coaches may not even see what you send them. In days of twitter these guys are spammed. Especially with football connections. If it was Carlson he tried to stay away from the alumni calling them "a bunch of old angry guys". If it was Cecchini they were pretty selective what high schools they recruited (with lots of repeats)

Fox seems to keep a short leash on who can come into his program.

valpofb16

New Commit: Clayton Mains 5'10 190 QB Pelham HS Alabama

Other Offers: Huntingdon, Berry, Knox , Anderson

FBFan22

Here we go...   Signing Day 2024.  Let's hope the staff can get all the "committs" over the goal line.  If so, this will be a very good class. 

Get your popcorn ready! 

valpofb16

Picked up Ryan Ricketti from Rocky River OH WR today.

valpofb16

Imo this class is "solid" a bit on the smaller side.

Lots of OL to build depth with 3-4 guys choosing Valpo over D2 offers. No PFL wins. Biesbor, Singh, Benavente, Snedegaf, Knoch all multiple offers. Modder just announced in WI all star game.  from an excellent high schools, Gorberg great size for a center. Good foundation there. Theis probably could move to DT

DE Nick Johnson was high on Drakes list. Muilenberg was a 2* on 247. DT we are light here with a 240lb and 245lb commits Think you'll see a portal / late commit here

TE we add two converted QBs to the room Dinuzzo had on offer to Wagner and looks great in the slot on film. Vickers , Jernegan, and Carter all back. Probably Redshirts here

LB Chris Kouts is a fast football player, gets to the QB HS RB. Feltdinelli was a tackle machine for a metro Indy 6A upper tier team.

WR Jimenez is the only returner with real stats, Mackay/Yeats played. We need help here. Caldwell was the #6 WR in Indiana and compares favorably to Davis. Same with OL think we are building depth and hoping something pops. Gawrys is multiple in a way Norberg was. Elgin a big body out there. Threat, Oelman, Ricketti , Givens all have speed

RB Simmons and Long are built more in the Vercher / Thomas mold. Simmons put up some real number in the Columbus metro and was a PFL win. Long was very multiple in what he can do on film

DB Pautenaude is an absolute athlete and should be able to help on special teams right away. Good size at Nickel. Wyatt Little smaller build Colin Graves type of safety. Jolil Walker had an excellent freshman season last year in a not so good D3 conference. Ortega is a pac 12 transfer , our last two respective transfers from that conference were all conference in their roles.

QB Marcus Brown is an excellent athlete and played a high level of football. Rivals 2* and a PFL win. If he stays all 4 (tough for a QB in non scholarship) we could be in a real good spot 2-3 years from now. Mains is a bit of a watered down Caron Tyler and probably is QB6 in camp , pretty athletic, May see on defense eventually

FBFan22

All in all, a pretty good recuiting class.  Very encouraged with the OL amd WR additions.  I think they may add another LB or 2 before fall camp.

With this large incoming class the roster has to be over the fall camp limit. Guys better show out in spring ball or risk not getting invited back.  That is a good problem to have - competion is good for everyone.

Now, let's avoid losing a key member of the coaching staff in the Spring so they can build relationships and develop these guys!

NotBryceDrew

Really hoping we can get a few big fbs/fcs transfers down the stretch.

Marist and the other team in Indiana seem to have hit the Ivy League really hard since you can only play as an UG and many people have a year of eligibility left, could be wrong but this does not seem to be a strategy Valpo has pursued

valpofb16

Having tracked recruiting Valparaiso has pursued. It just hasn't happened.

More I read on this class more I like it. I think our transfers will come at CB and DT

We returned 75+ players for spring it looks like. With the way Fox redshirts guys need to refresh last years notes. Few guys still haven't played who had some really nice offers

Talent is up. It's evident on defense. If Fox and Prevost can put something together this could be a top 3-4 team in the PFL as I believe the defense will be right there again

David81

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 07, 2024, 08:22:15 PM
Imo this class is "solid" a bit on the smaller side.

Lots of OL to build depth with 3-4 guys choosing Valpo over D2 offers. No PFL wins. Biesbor, Singh, Benavente, Snedegaf, Knoch all multiple offers. Modder just announced in WI all star game.  from an excellent high schools, Gorberg great size for a center. Good foundation there. Theis probably could move to DT

DE Nick Johnson was high on Drakes list. Muilenberg was a 2* on 247. DT we are light here with a 240lb and 245lb commits Think you'll see a portal / late commit here

TE we add two converted QBs to the room Dinuzzo had on offer to Wagner and looks great in the slot on film. Vickers , Jernegan, and Carter all back. Probably Redshirts here

LB Chris Kouts is a fast football player, gets to the QB HS RB. Feltdinelli was a tackle machine for a metro Indy 6A upper tier team.

WR Jimenez is the only returner with real stats, Mackay/Yeats played. We need help here. Caldwell was the #6 WR in Indiana and compares favorably to Davis. Same with OL think we are building depth and hoping something pops. Gawrys is multiple in a way Norberg was. Elgin a big body out there. Threat, Oelman, Ricketti , Givens all have speed

RB Simmons and Long are built more in the Vercher / Thomas mold. Simmons put up some real number in the Columbus metro and was a PFL win. Long was very multiple in what he can do on film

DB Pautenaude is an absolute athlete and should be able to help on special teams right away. Good size at Nickel. Wyatt Little smaller build Colin Graves type of safety. Jolil Walker had an excellent freshman season last year in a not so good D3 conference. Ortega is a pac 12 transfer , our last two respective transfers from that conference were all conference in their roles.

QB Marcus Brown is an excellent athlete and played a high level of football. Rivals 2* and a PFL win. If he stays all 4 (tough for a QB in non scholarship) we could be in a real good spot 2-3 years from now. Mains is a bit of a watered down Caron Tyler and probably is QB6 in camp , pretty athletic, May see on defense eventually

valpofb16, I continue to marvel at your knowing, snapshot scouting reports. I don't know what your method is for following and researching all these players, but it makes for a fun, quick read.

valpofb16

David81 thank you sir! Bit of a hobby that I've just fallen into

VULB#62

16, as Paul expands TVB, he'll need your football "Insider" skills and perspective to increase TVB's platform.  Shoot him a copy of your resume.  He'll jump at the opportunity to have your talents on board. .........But for the time being don't quit your day job  ;D

Seriously, many thanks for insights.

valpofb16

Thank you for the kind words, Paul and I talk quite a bit during recruiting and the season. He has a passion for the University's athletic department as a whole that's really unmatched. What he has done with TVB is substantial and growing.

In terms of actively writing for him. I didn't do so hot in his Comm 100 class or the writing portion of the SAT. That's his rodeo and he deserves all credit

valpofb16

New commit: Brayden Welch 6'5 250 TE Oregon City HS, Oregon

Other Offers: Central Washington , Peru State, Lewis & Clark

Notes: 2* on 247

valpofb16

New Commit: Bertrand Berry 6'1 215 DE/OLB Highland HS AZ

Other offers: Concordia College

Notes: Son of former NFL player Bertrand Berry