• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

PFL Rumor Mill

Started by VULB#62, January 08, 2024, 08:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Marist's new coach just hired a pretty high powered staff by plucking from a number of IVY programs. Lots of deep experience - I'm seeing 10-15 years + experience, not all guys in their twenties. That suggests Marist is pumping $$$ into the program and changing philosophy.

In addition, Patriot League execs were in attendance at the Bucknell/Marist football game. Rumors are flying there  that Marist may switch, but it's not clear if it is all sports or just FB.

Worth watching.

valpotx

Good for them if they make the move to FCS Scholarship.  I know that it will never happen, but it would be fun if Valpo joined one day, after figuring out our enrollment issues.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

Never going to happen with Valparaiso. Male freshman classes are 7-10% football players.

Would be fun for them to dump money into football as that greatly expands alumni donor base (see Wabash/DePauw). But alas this has been went over and our flagship program is 4-11

VULB#62

Marist is a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) member. MAAC doesn't include FB. Schools with FB have generally gone to the NEC as associates in order to play (or in Marist's case, the PFL).

The Patriot League is a more a academically  prestigious conference with most members playing football. Its footprint is about the same as the MAAC that  stretches from Buffalo to Boston, except it goes more along the I95 N-S corridor from Boston to DC. For FB, at least., it would mean no more flights to NC, FL, IA, OH, KY, IN or, CA

If the rumor has any legs, I'd bet they are gonna move.

usc4valpo

16 - football at Wabash and DePauw is more important to them compared to Valparaiso, which in reality uses the program as a lean, mean money making machine.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 08, 2024, 10:53:48 PMMarist is a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) member. MAAC doesn't include FB. Schools with FB have generally gone to the NEC as associates in order to play (or in Marist's case, the PFL). The Patriot League is a more a academically  prestigious conference with most members playing football. Its footprint is about the same as the MAAC that  stretches from Buffalo to Boston, except it goes more along the I95 N-S corridor from Boston to DC. For FB, at least., it would mean no more flights to NC, FL, IA, OH, KY, IN or, CA If the rumor has any legs, I'd bet they are gonna move.
I think we can say these hires are higher up the food chain (maybe) than Valpo's typical hires....but consider Cecchini and Fox both came from very successful programs at the time of hire. I don't think there's any indication of moving to scholarship play based on the hires.

valpofb16

SG don't disagree , welcome to board. It certainly is a profit center for Valparaiso.

Anyone who states differently is kidding themselves

soapyjeans

And yet its been proven scholarships is a huge magnet for recruits.  Which means Valpos 7-10% football draw would also increase and increase enrollment across the board.  I hear what you guys are saying and it sounds like Valpo is comfortable with status quo.  But there comes a time when you either move forward or get left behind.   :twocents:

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 04, 2024, 02:36:04 PMSG don't disagree , welcome to board. It certainly is a profit center for Valparaiso. Anyone who states differently is kidding themselves
Who is "SG"?

VULB#62

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 06, 2024, 03:58:45 PMSG —> Soapyjeans?
I would think Soapyjeans would be SJ.

I'll guess there was a post at one point by a new poster with the initials of SG which was removed for whatever reason.