• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

High School Tournaments at NCAA school facilities

Started by bbtds, December 09, 2011, 10:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

valporun

The wording in the Chicago Tribune article reads very vaguely, but if one of the high schools involved is the host of the tournament, and is renting Mackey Arena for a more geographic venue for the schools involved, the IHSAA may have been able to work that loophole, otherwise it doesn't make sense, but the Tribune article went into zero detail about if a high school was the actual host/organizer at Butler, or if it was Butler organizing it. Too vague in reading again.

bbtds

I guess the fact that the NCAA got the event at Mackey Arena cancelled also answers my question.

valporun

There were events of this nature planned in Illinois too. I saw another article where this issue only pertains to games/tourneys played at D-1 facilities. There were alternatives for these groups to move to for the tourney/classic to still be played, such as professional arenas that don't host D-1 teams, D-II/D-III schools or JUCOs that opened their doors to these opportunities. A few schools dropped out because they were losing in upwards of $2,000 in ticket revenue that would have helped their program's coffers with some more money for travel needs or hotel purposes for state tournaments for other sports, so they are upset with the NCAA taking away from these revenues with these decisions, when the coaches for the respective D-1 programs were banned from the arena/facilities while these games were to be played. Another example of the NCAA's God/Holier Than Thou complex.

FWalum

What a bunch of garbage.  Kids dream about playing in these venues and now that will all come to an end.  I wonder if this will eventually cause VU to stop hosting the Lutheran National Grade School tournament. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on February 23, 2012, 01:37:07 PM
What a bunch of garbage.  Kids dream about playing in these venues and now that will all come to an end.  I wonder if this will eventually cause VU to stop hosting the Lutheran National Grade School tournament. 

Because the participants are at the time of the NLBT (National Lutheran Basketball Tournament) are not supposed to be associated with a high school team there should not be any problem to continue having the NLBT at Valpo. I happen to know someone who used to be intricately involved in the NLBT.

valporun

I always thought the NLBT was for kids in grades 4-8, at least from seeing all of those kids and their parents walking around campus.

historyman

Quote from: valporun on February 23, 2012, 08:19:42 PM
I always thought the NLBT was for kids in grades 4-8, at least from seeing all of those kids and their parents walking around campus.

The majority of the tournament is for girls and boys grade school teams but there is a junior division (high school) that fields about 8 teams from Lutheran churches. They can not play on their high school teams. There was a senior division of mens teams (no age limit) from Lutheran churches over the years but that was phased out eventually.

One year Roger Wehrli, an NFL hall of famer, who played for the St. Louis Cardinals-football team was at Valpo and played for the Concordia Lutheran Church of Kirkwood, MO mens team. My friend pointed him out to me and a lot of people never realized he was an NFL hall of famer playing basketball. He was a very good basketball player despite his age.   

The guy who is probably most involved in the NLBT is Rod Moore, Valpo's trainer. He's on their board of directors and supervisor of officials.

FWalum

Quote from: historyman on February 23, 2012, 02:23:05 PMBecause the participants are at the time of the NLBT (National Lutheran Basketball Tournament) are not supposed to be associated with a high school team there should not be any problem to continue having the NLBT at Valpo. I happen to know someone who used to be intricately involved in the NLBT.
With recruiting starting now in some cases in middle school , I am not so sure that sometime in the near future the NCAA won't stick its nose into things at this age level.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show