• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Keeping up with Clay Yeo

Started by vu72, December 12, 2011, 07:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Clay and his team recently played Demitrius Jackson and his squad.  Jackson is a top 10 player in the Class of 2013.  Clay apparently got the best of it with 28 points but his team lost.  Is he really 6'8"??

http://www.etruth.com/article/20111211/SPORT01/712119894/-1/sport
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

I don't remember him being 6-8 last year, I thought it was more like 6-4.
He is pretty thin, but he's also very skilled. Smooth shot.

valpopal

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 12, 2011, 11:02:31 AM
I don't remember him being 6-8 last year, I thought it was more like 6-4.
He is pretty thin, but he's also very skilled. Smooth shot.

When he was a freshman, he was listed at 6'4" and as a sophomore he was listed at 6'5"; now that he is a junior, he might have grown a bit, but I doubt he is 6'8" yet. As usual, all the listings might be slightly exaggerated. Someone should ask Griff Carpenter since they were teammates. However, though Yeo is already tall enough and skilled enough to be a shooting guard, if he does grow to 6'7" like Ryan, he would be a fine small forward..

lowposter

He must be 6'8"...the source was "E truth". 

Havent seen him play, but the word is that he is a fine player.  Should be a great local addition for the 'saders.

lowposter

lowposter

Davidson pretty much lit up Merrillville the other night, even while he had the flu.  That class could be a good one.

lowposter

bbtds

Quote from: lowposter on December 12, 2011, 12:54:25 PM
Davidson pretty much lit up Merrillville the other night, even while he had the flu.  That class could be a good one.
You might want to point out that the Davidson you are talking about is Nick Davidson from Andrean who has verbally committed to play for Coach Drew at Valpo. Some may not have understood who you were talking about.

valpo64

I know that N Davidson has verbally committed and is an apparent solid one.  Has Yeo also done the same?  Also, are there any other verbals for that class?

valpospartan

Quote from: valpo64 on December 12, 2011, 07:18:40 PM
I know that N Davidson has verbally committed and is an apparent solid one.  Has Yeo also done the same?  Also, are there any other verbals for that class?

Yeo and his family sat behind us a few games ago.  His mother told me he has committed for 2013.

valpotx

I hope both stick with it, as they sound like good pick-ups!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Recent article on Clay written by Grif Carpenter (who should know how tall he is).  Says he's 6'5".

Sounds like he has great upside as he is only a junior so has the time to add weight and strength.

http://northernindianaprepspotlight.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/2013-wing-clay-yeo/

He is averaging 27 and 9.  Sounds like he will match up well with Butler's big recruit Kellen Dunham, who is about the same size and same position, although a year older than Clay.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

lowposter

These are great recruits for VU as both are mid major talents and they are local kids.  VU has gotten away from the NW Indiana players lately and these two young men will bring in a few more fans.  With Roger Powell on board we should expect some Chicago area talent coming in.

Personally I havent seen Yeo, but Davidson is a solid player.  Both should be either 2's or 3's in this system. 

lowposter

bbtds

I think the key for many recruits is to work on their weaknesses during the beginning of their college careers. Many who remember Chris Ensminger know what a huge improvement he made during his time at Valpo.

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=ger&PlayerID=19279

Griffin on Yeo:

As much as I love this kid he does have some weaknesses that he needs to address before he takes his bright career to Valpo. He needs to add some strength. Stronger defenders are able to frustrate him a little bit when they muscle him up. Clay is not able to take physical play as well right now. He also needs to work to improve his 3 point shot, at the next level he wont be able to rely on his supreme height and quick first step, so he needs a better long range jump shot to set up his go to moves.

lowposter

Amazing that Chris is still paying in Europe.  Not due to his talent level, but the fact that he is 38 or 39 years old.  When he arrived at VU he was this kid with absolutely no upper body, but massive hips and legs.  People comment about how much he improved during his tenure at VU and no doubt that he did...but anyone that saw the VU - Ball State game his freshman year knew this kid was going to be special.  He came off the bench and had a great game.  His footwork was well refined even tho his strength was lacking.

My favorite Chris moment was either when he got his first dunk in college (perhaps in his entire career) or when VU beat Western Illinois for MidCon Championship.  He was really excited about the dunk...his parents sent cheesecake for the entire team's practice the next day in celebration of the dunk.  In the Western Illinois game, after the buzzer went off, he threw his mouthpiece into the air in excitement.  A young kid caught it out of the air and then had a disgusted look on his face when he realized what he had and what body fluids were on it.

Thanks for the update on perhaps the FIRST good center we had in the Homer Drew era. 

lowposter

valpopal

From Twitter tonight: "2013 Valparaiso commit Clay Yeo Triton (IN) had 44 points in a win over Rochester (IN) tonight."