• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Shake ups to the Butler lineup

Started by vu72, December 21, 2011, 09:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Since we played Butler the lineup has changed a lot.  Erik Fromm is now a starter together with Jones, Marshall, Nored and Aldridge.  Coming off the bench are Smith, Hopkins and Stigall.  Funny how Smith,   and Stigall were starters on the national runner up and now come off the bench.  With those demotions you'd expect a significant improvement, but not yet.

Fromm was the big surprise yesterday against Gonzaga, being the leading scorer and making 4 of 6 3's.  Aldridge was the big negative surprise to me as he had 3 turnovers, zero assts and 2 points.   ???
College basketball is a great thing as it is so unpredictable--We beat Butler, then lose to IPFW, Butler beats Purdue who then beats IPFW by 25 or so.  Go figure.   :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Butler and Stevens will shake things up until they find the combination that works - starters and coming off the bench.  I fully expect Butler to be in the HL mix, they might not finish in first, but will have an impact on which team does finish first.  The HL tournament could be interesting!

On another Butler note - their January schedule has 8 games, with 6 being on the road.  I look for Stevens to have righted the ship by the end of January and be 6-5 in HL play at the end of the January.  I just hope that VU is in the 8-3 or better range.

sectionee

Shake ups are working, butler has beat purdue and now Stanford. Nored hit 3/4 from downtown and led th in scoring tonight. Them and Detroit are rally pulling it together! Going to be a great couple of months.

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on December 21, 2011, 09:09:27 AM
Since we played Butler the lineup has changed a lot.  Erik Fromm is now a starter together with Jones, Marshall, Nored and Aldridge.  Coming off the bench are Smith, Hopkins and Stigall.  Funny how Smith,   and Stigall were starters on the national runner up and now come off the bench.  With those demotions you'd expect a significant improvement, but not yet.

Fromm was the big surprise yesterday against Gonzaga, being the leading scorer and making 4 of 6 3's.  Aldridge was the big negative surprise to me as he had 3 turnovers, zero assts and 2 points.   ???
College basketball is a great thing as it is so unpredictable--We beat Butler, then lose to IPFW, Butler beats Purdue who then beats IPFW by 25 or so.  Go figure.   :crazy:

Butler used another starting lineup last night at Stanford, starting both Smith and Fromm.  They get only 3 points from Marshall and Hopkins, yet get a win.  It's hard to tell from game to game who will play well, but they do seem to be playing better as a team.  We'll see if that trend carries over into the league games.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on December 21, 2011, 09:09:27 AM

After we beat Butler, they beat 2 BCS teams away from Hinkle while we go 0-3 against the Summit and eek out a come-from-behind victory against the worst team in the MAC.  Right now I would categorize them as improving and us in a free fall.       

sectionee

Valpo definitely isn't the same team we saw earlier in the season, while this was expected we are unfortunately moving in the wrong direction.  There seem to be a lot of holes being exploited by our opponents lately, lets hope our coaching staff can make adjustments before Milwaukee comes to town next week.