• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Welcome Center

Started by 78crusader, December 26, 2011, 07:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpo04 on May 23, 2012, 11:09:22 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 23, 2012, 08:33:46 AM
Quote from: valpo04 on May 23, 2012, 08:21:18 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 22, 2012, 11:59:23 PM
Quote from: valpopal on May 22, 2012, 10:41:55 PMUsually, summers on campus are mostly quiet

that's because they're waiting for the students to come back in the fall so they can more effectively inconvenience them. my last couple years at vu, all work was done during the year, including the petty little projects that could've been done in the summer with no ill effects whatsoever. the one that pissed me off the most was the road resurfacings - they could've done those during the summer with minimal impact, even to the students working on campus through the summer, but they waited until right after the semester started and then shut roads down.

but i'm glad they plan on working this summer - maybe they won't have quite so many random projects popping up during the year then.

Tis better to inconvenience current students than to have prospectives see it!

i don't know about that. sure, it might kinda suck as a prospective to see work being done, but it shows potential future students that valpo does care about its facilities and will make improvements and replace buildings if/when possible.

my freshman year (and typhoon might remember this as well), it was a game everyday of where are the fences going to be today? they would block off random pieces of sidewalk and do nothing. and then the next day, they'd be somewhere else. it was a source of great confusion to the students. but then again, so were classes.  ;)

I just remember my FOCUS experience... Valpo in June was as picturesque as it comes.  Then again, there were no construction projects going on back then. 

I have often said if I had made my first visit in winter I would have never went there!

when i went for focus in june 06, they had finished tearing down moellering library and that was a huge open space. within months of moving into lank that august, it was fenced off in preparation for the start of union construction.

and if i had visited valpo in the winter, i'd probably not have considered it like i did. but i don't regret my decision in the slightest. when my mom made her only visit to valpo, it was bad weather and campus wasn't all that appealing, but she wound up going anyway. lol. good thing too, or i wouldn't be here to bitch about the inconveniences of construction during the school year. :)

okinawatyphoon

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

bbtds

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on May 23, 2012, 05:45:20 PM
photos of the first week of construction:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/valparaiso_university/sets/72157629865043782/

Finally getting going on this construction. Isn't that a welcome sight?   :-\

valpo04

FWalum

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 23, 2012, 01:00:04 PMand if i had visited valpo in the winter, i'd probably not have considered it like i did. but i don't regret my decision in the slightest. when my mom made her only visit to valpo, it was bad weather and campus wasn't all that appealing, but she wound up going anyway. lol. good thing too, or i wouldn't be here to bitch about the inconveniences of construction during the school year. :)
I can relate to the "visited Valpo in winter" comment.  Really would have liked one of my children to go to VU, alas it was not to be and probably one of the biggest reasons was old man winter.  My best chance was probably the middle daughter (my avatar).  I had taken her to VU many times for events and it almost always seemed that the trip was somehow effected by weather.  The real kicker was a visit for potential Christ College students that happened in February during a rather significant snow event.  The campus tour was accomplished by walking backwards because the wind and snow made walking head first almost impossible.  She visited Wake Forest during spring break and my hopes were dashed by a beautiful campus, blooming magnolias and excellent academics.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vuweathernerd

Quote from: FWalum on May 24, 2012, 09:09:03 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 23, 2012, 01:00:04 PMand if i had visited valpo in the winter, i'd probably not have considered it like i did. but i don't regret my decision in the slightest. when my mom made her only visit to valpo, it was bad weather and campus wasn't all that appealing, but she wound up going anyway. lol. good thing too, or i wouldn't be here to bitch about the inconveniences of construction during the school year. :)
I can relate to the "visited Valpo in winter" comment.  Really would have liked one of my children to go to VU, alas it was not to be and probably one of the biggest reasons was old man winter.  My best chance was probably the middle daughter (my avatar).  I had taken her to VU many times for events and it almost always seemed that the trip was somehow effected by weather.  The real kicker was a visit for potential Christ College students that happened in February during a rather significant snow event.  The campus tour was accomplished by walking backwards because the wind and snow made walking head first almost impossible.  She visited Wake Forest during spring break and my hopes were dashed by a beautiful campus, blooming magnolias and excellent academics.

can't win 'em all, FW.

valpopal

Remembering the comments below, I thought I'd share this photo I took during a snowfall last week, and I felt those alums in warm weather climates might like a reminder of Indiana in winter. The view is from the new Welcome Center toward Kretzmann Hall in the background. As you can see, winter can be pleasant at times. By the way, I can report the Welcome Center construction is ahead of schedule, and it could be completed by graduation day in May.

VULB#62

Well, from the Boston area where I have not had power or heat for 4 days and the inside temp in the house dropped to 41 degrees, I can still appreciate the beauty (power was restored this morning). But....... it still brings back memories of the walk from Wehrenberg to old campus in January with the wind blasting you every step of the way. Back then the whole area between the dorm and the chapel/union area was totally undeveloped and the wind was like a knife -- especially when the temps dropped into the single digits. 

okinawatyphoon

Thanks for the info on the Welcome Center valpopal. I am hopeful it will be open when I visit for graduation!  :thumbsup:

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpopal on February 12, 2013, 01:05:36 PM
Remembering the comments below, I thought I'd share this photo I took during a snowfall last week, and I felt those alums in warm weather climates might like a reminder of Indiana in winter. The view is from the new Welcome Center toward Kretzmann Hall in the background. As you can see, winter can be pleasant at times. By the way, I can report the Welcome Center construction is ahead of schedule, and it could be completed by graduation day in May.

i'm in a cold-weather climate that blows majorly, and i still appreciate the reminder. i'd take a valpo winter over nodak any day.

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on February 12, 2013, 06:40:21 PM
Thanks for the info on the Welcome Center valpopal. I am hopeful it will be open when I visit for graduation!  :thumbsup:

agreed

okinawatyphoon

Here's an updated photo of the Welcome Center, courtesy of Valpo's Flickr page:

historyman

I like the view from US 30 when you are driving up the hill after passing Linwood Ave & the Industrial Revolution restaurant going east when you can see both the Welcome Center and the Chapel at the same time. The stone work on the Welcome Center is very beautiful and for a few seconds you see that it melds right into the stone work on the outside of the Chapel and makes the outside of the Chapel look even more beautiful.

Maybe I haven't noticed that stone work on the Chapel for a while because it contrasts so much with the outside of the Library/Christopher Center for Library and Information Resources.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

What/where is the Industrial Revolution restaurant?
"Don't mess with Texas"

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: valpotx on March 24, 2013, 01:22:17 PM
What/where is the Industrial Revolution restaurant?

It's the restaurant on the corner of Linwood and US 30. It's practically a cursed location with many restaurants occupying the space over the years. I've been to it a few times and it's definitely a cool place, but time will tell if it will meet a similar fate like those before it.

http://www.industrialrevolutioneatery.com/index.php

VULB#62

That is one unique restaurant.  Deserves to survive just for that alone.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on March 24, 2013, 01:22:17 PMWhat/where is the Industrial Revolution restaurant?

I'm guessing that while you were there, Tx, it went from being "Al's Diner" to "Brewski's"?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Ah ok, that gives me an idea of where it is
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Passing through town today on a trip and seeing the Welcome Center for the first time was very neat.  :thumbsup:
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

okinawatyphoon

My friend posted a few photos of the interior. It takes a lot of cues from the new Union, it appears.

The lobby:

Hallway:

historyman

FYI, two torches that are mounted on both sides of the entrance on the columns near the Welcome Center were burning this morning when I went by on US30 at 7:00 a.m. this morning.  I haven't seen this in the evening yet but I'm sure it will leave a burning impression in many prospective students minds.  :)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

okinawatyphoon

The staff at Kretzmann began to move into the Welcome Center today. Here are some photos I snapped about two weeks ago:

valpotx

Another slick looking building  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Checked out the inside of the Welcome Center, and I have to say I was pleased by its interior design and appearance. Also, gazing out of the large windows confirms the location is perfect. In addition to being conveniently situated off I-30, the views from inside are terrific, especially when looking toward the chapel. This will be a valuable addition that presents an excellent first impression to visitors or prospective new students.

If anyone is around campus, there will be an official open house two weeks from today on June 19 between 1 pm and 3 pm, although some of the historical exhibits will not be in place until the fall dedication.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on June 05, 2013, 05:24:54 PMIf anyone is around campus, there will be an official open house two weeks from today on June 19 between 1 pm and 3 pm, although some of the historical exhibits will not be in place until the fall dedication.

It'll be nice to go back once everything's installed.  But, it was a nice building.

FWalum

Here is an interesting article.  Maybe this had been mentioned before, but nice to see some collaboration between VU and the Concordia's
Concordia's Center for Liturgical Art Set to Install Mosaic at Valparaiso University's Welcome Center
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show