• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Welcome Center

Started by 78crusader, December 26, 2011, 07:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Mosaic, eh?  Speaking of broken things, from the article:

QuoteThe mosaic, titled "Lightfall," was inspired by Psalm 36:9 and Valparaiso's motto: "In luce tua, videmus lucer," "In your light, we see light."

[sound of classics major sighing]
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Heh - nice catch.  I'm no Latinist, but it looks like, even in Latin, that's a straight typo?  Maybe with some risk of greater similarity to the verb forms rather than the noun, but likely to be clear from context?  I was sort of a rooting for an accidental double entendre.

And nice to hear about the mosaic - I look forward to seeing it, and hope I can find the history again once it gets installed.  (At least this site googles well!)

LaPorteAveApostle

Interestingly, my (nominally Methodist) alma mater had almost the same motto (in lumine tuo videbimus lucem), but importantly to note uses the future tense, "we WILL see".  Always found it fascinating, if counterintuitive, that a Lutheran school had a more humanist view of the power of reason, at least as reflected in their respective mottoes.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

okinawatyphoon

There are some fantastic photos on the Valpo Flickr site. Check it out to see the Welcome Center, Chapel, Christopher Center, and others.  :thumbsup: http://www.flickr.com/photos/valparaiso_university/

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

okinawatyphoon

Great photo of the Welcome Center in the snow, courtesy of the Valparaiso University Undergraduate Admission Facebook page.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon