• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MMOD

Started by StlVUFan, March 18, 2011, 08:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

So far, unless I am missing something, I am extremely underwhelmed by the on-line viewer.

I've seen nothing yet to warrant the designation "On Demand".  Nothing available on games already played except for highlights.

I also have a question: is there some way that I'm missing to watch more than one game at a time?

I ask here because the on-line help is atrocious (again, unless I'm missing something).

valpofan56

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 18, 2011, 08:54:58 AM
So far, unless I am missing something, I am extremely underwhelmed by the on-line viewer.

I've seen nothing yet to warrant the designation "On Demand".  Nothing available on games already played except for highlights.

I also have a question: is there some way that I'm missing to watch more than one game at a time?

I ask here because the on-line help is atrocious (again, unless I'm missing something).

I have the iPad app and I couldn't find anyway to watch multiple games at the same time. Overall, however, I have been very impressed with the quality of the streaming. It is very easy to switch among games and I haven't had even a minor hiccup in the picture, even while watching in HD. 

valporun

I didn't see a multi-window option for viewing, which puzzles me, especially since ESPN3, MLB.TV, and NHL GameCenter all have the ability for multi-window viewing. The only things that drove me crazy about watching on MMOD was that during tv timeouts, you were allowed to switch to another game, you had to do it before they went to break, and the boxes to choose for other games during that session were constantly being pushed to the back, so you had to scroll to them, instead of them immediately appearing when that game or session started. In terms of picture and quality, I was impressed. During the day and early evening, the picture would have a little bit of graininess, but I thought that might have had to do with volume of people watching at one time.

StlVUFan

Get back to me when you are able to watch an archived game.

valporun

I was able to find the archived game, click 'Highlights' for the game you want. When the box goes to that game, the little window top right of the stats page they give you will have clips, but at the top, it says 'Replay'. Click that, then sit thru a few moments of the commercials, then the game will load up, but don't watch unless you intend to go full screen and ignore the world because the video will be very small. If you do full screen, it will restart from the very beginning, and the same holds true if you go out of full screen for any reason. Also, you can't use the 'Video' button on an archive. It will tell you "Video Has Ended, Please Make Another Selection". It isn't what I would want, ideally, but I guess it is better than nothing?

StlVUFan

Thanks, run.  I'll give that a try.

I just found the webpage I was looking for yesterday: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2011-03-08/men%E2%80%99s-march-madness-tv-schedule

This has audio links, which is what I really want at work (I do *not* need to be *watching* while I work, for crying out loud).

Texas is holding Oakland at bay but Reggie Hamilton is starting to heat up a bit.  At the half: Texas 46 Oakland 38.

Go Grizz!!!

P.S. It looks like the IT folks at boeing decided overnight to block the MMOD video streaming anyway ;)

valporun

Oakland is not yet dead, down 80-75 with 1:22 remaining.

agibson

As noted, there is an archive - but they hardly go out of their way to advertise it.  And, it's difficult to get to it without seeing the score.

Maybe it's a French thing, but I found the site to be bandwidth limited during live games (I guess it was Butler - Old Dominion?).  Lots of starts and stops, pretty unwatchable.

The archive version was somewhat more reliable.

valporun

Quote from: agibson on March 21, 2011, 09:04:02 AM
As noted, there is an archive - but they hardly go out of their way to advertise it.  And, it's difficult to get to it without seeing the score.

Maybe it's a French thing, but I found the site to be bandwidth limited during live games (I guess it was Butler - Old Dominion?).  Lots of starts and stops, pretty unwatchable.

The archive version was somewhat more reliable.

I'm sure the 'stuttering' of the video during the live game was more to do with volume of people watching that particular game, and not because of bandwidth. I would have issues with the stuttering during a few of the games I was watching to, and yeah it wasn't good, but I figured it's the NCAA tournament, a lot of people are watching, so I just need to sit back and deal with it. At least I'm not getting interruptions because we sent a couple of missles into Libya, or because CBS felt I needed to see a different game because they didn't think I had interest in the last 5 minutes of a game I was watching. Sure, that change from game-to-game would be due to another game being close going to the buzzer, but I have the internet or three other channels I could catch that one.

Yes, the archives take a little time to get too, but they are great to have, especially if you're sitting around the next three days or nights, and need a college basketball fix.

agibson

Re the stuttering - here I did actually take advantage of the "every game is airing on some cable channel" feature.  I'd never heard of truTv (or whatever it's called).  But, sure enough, it's on my parents' satellite plan, and watching that over SlingBox was much higher quality than watching the stuttering MMOD live feed.   (Until my dad switched from Butler to WVA, or KY, or someone.)

vuweathernerd

the 'every game is airing on some cable channel' plan was fantastic! i got to pick and choose what games i wanted to watch.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 22, 2011, 01:05:27 AM
the 'every game is airing on some cable channel' plan was fantastic! i got to pick and choose what games i wanted to watch.

Isn't it though?  To think we once had to let the local affiliate choose which game we watch and that's it.  Just imagine March 18, 1998 with MMOD and 4 channels.  No more being stuck with Kentucky beating the crap out of SLU because KMOV in St. Louis stubbornly insists on showing the entire game.  Man I would have appreciated that.

I'm just glad KMOV didn't get pulled from Charter Basic cable a couple of years ago over rights fees (sort of like the whole Versus/Direct TV/NHL controversy last year), although I still would have had MMOD so I wouldn't have been completely out of luck, and I'm not sure any of the games I really wanted to see were on CBS anyway.

All in all, I really like it, yeah :)

milanmiracle

I loved all 4 channels having the games. Now, my living room looked like a sports bar with 4 TV's going at once, but it is possible to watch 4 games at one time.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vuweathernerd

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 23, 2011, 12:36:58 PM
I loved all 4 channels having the games. Now, my living room looked like a sports bar with 4 TV's going at once, but it is possible to watch 4 games at one time.

i wish i had thought of that (or had the money for it...) :thumbsup: