• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Antonijevic drafted in MLS

Started by okinawatyphoon, January 17, 2012, 06:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

Valpo's first player to be drafted in the MLS was just selected to go to Kansas City. Congratulations to Stefan Antonijevic!

Edit: http://www.valpoathletics.com/msoccer/news/2011-12/11338/valpos-antonijevic-drafted-into-mls-by-sporting-kansas-city/
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

KL31NY

Taken off Sporting KC's release on its supplemental draft picks:

QuoteSporting Kansas City's 43rd overall pick produced Antonijevic, a Valparaiso University defender  who was named the Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year in 2011. Despite playing primarily as a central defender, Antonijevic recorded eight goals and three assists in 59 appearances over three seasons for the Crusaders. After earning Second Team All-Horizon League honors his sophomore and junior seasons, Antonijevic was a First Team All-League honoree and NSCAA All-Great Lakes Region First Team selection in 2011.

"I've heard great things about the stadium, great things about the supporters and great things about the team," Antonijevic said. "Coming from a smaller school, I consider this a great privilege and a blessing. I look forward to coming in and adding some depth to the backline."

Congrats to Stefan! Covered him and VUMSO the past three years and the two have done great things together!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VUfan

Congrats to the first pro Drafted player in Valpo Soccer History!!

agibson

Good on Stefan!

I've never followed the MLS draft.  He was the 43rd pick overall?  That seems relatively high (there are, what, around 16 teams?). 

It doesn't seem like one team would really draft 43 players.

I'd look it up in Wikipedia but, well, you know...

Surfing around a bit: the 43rd overall pick in the supplemental draft (whatever that means), Kansas City's third pick of four. 

The article from Sporting KC also says
"They all have some interesting qualities that we think could translate into the MLS game," Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes said. "In the end, there's going to be a lot of competition for very few spots, so those guys are going to have to work very hard. I feel confident that there's some good talent coming in here and it will be interesting to see how they pan out."

mlssoccer.com (http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2012/news/article/2012/01/17/grades-are-la-clubs-are-big-supplemental-winners) ranked the 19 supplemental draft classes, and put Sporting KC in the middle of the pack.  Their comments on KC's draft class,
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: #16 DF Shawn Singh (UCLA), #35 MF Pablo Punyed (St. John's), #43 DF Stefan Antonijevic (Valparaiso), #54 Kyle Miller (Rockhurst)

Singh was solid but not a spectacular left back during the Combine. Could be steady enough to stick. Miller is a local midfielder who knows Sporting and is being given a shot to fight for a spot. Punyed and Antonijevic are the tantalizing pickups. Punyed is a smart, crafty midfielder who makes up for his lack of athleticism with a great left foot. Antonijevic is a 6-foot-6, left-footed center back who has great feet. RATING: 6

Did we already link the VU Athletics piece?  It's over at http://www.valpoathletics.com/msoccer/news/2011-12/11338/valpos-antonijevic-drafted-into-mls-by-sporting-kansas-city/ with quotes from Stefan and Avery, including
"Even though he was a supplemental pick, I think Stefan has a good shot to making Sporting KC's main roster," said Avery.  "He's got all the tools to succeed at the next level – not just his size and his athleticism, but the fact that first and foremost he is a very good soccer player."

valpotx

Congrats Stefan!  Probably does not hurt that he is 6'6" with great feet from his time as a midfielder earlier in college.  Good luck to him, and I will be following his career as it develops!
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusaderjoe

Quote from: VUfan on January 18, 2012, 09:10:42 AM

This is an awesome achievement.  The only thing that would have been better is if he would have been acquired by Aston Villa  ;).  Congratulations and way to represent VU soccer!

Quote from: VUfan on January 18, 2012, 09:10:42 AM

Your comment was thought provoking.  How many other guys played professionally coming out of Valpo?  While Stefan is the first player to be drafted professionally, I don't believe he is the first soccer player from VU to ever play in a professional capacity.  I think one of the guys I played with at VU played professionally indoor for the Detroit club when it was around (maybe its still around).  These are the only two that I know of.  Were there any others?

VUfan

Years ago several players played in lower Division Teams in England. I do not think these were professional.
The Club team that I played in 1969 and 1970 sometime played for a keg of beer, does that count?

bbtds

I remember in the 70's games of softball (mostly at the frats) where you had to chug a beer at each base before going to the next base. It got to be a wild game after a while.

valpotx

JJ Del Castillo played in the Mexican Professional League with Atlante, though not sure what division of Mexican soccer they are.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on January 26, 2012, 10:35:41 AM
JJ Del Castillo played in the Mexican Professional League with Atlante, though not sure what division of Mexican soccer they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlante_F.C.

Club de Fútbol Atlante, is a Mexican professional football club, currently playing in the Mexican First Division League.

You could say Castillo survived the Lusitania.

The team began playing at La Condesa neighborhood in Mexico City. After changing its name to Lusitania and U-53, Refugio Martínez proposed the name Atlante, after the mighty battles fought at the Atlantic ocean during World War I.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on January 26, 2012, 10:35:41 AM

That's what his bio says, for sure.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/prospects/staff/5498/jj-del-castillo/

Did he ever actually play?  Looking quickly at the stats for Atlante on ESPN, I don't notice him.

VUfan

No, no the beer was after the matches with clubs not other schools.

valpotx

He might not have played for the senior team, but he was on their roster.  If they play in reserve or youth games, they don't accumulate stats.  Not a bad place at all to have your team, as it says they moved from Mexico City to Quintana Roo in the last few years.  If anyone has been to Mexico, they definitely know that is where Cancun is  :)

"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Congrats to Antonijevic.  On the pleasure to see him play in person against ORU.  Very strong and passionate.  Very good captain.  As you can imagine at 6'6" he won everything in the air.   
CRUSADERS!!!

KL31NY

Breaking News: Stefan heading back stateside!

Quote@Stef2Def0007: IT'S OFFICIAL... Just signed with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers of the NASL #excitingtime#thankful http://pic.twitter.com/fBIussLzBr

Stefan's been on quite a few teams already. Drafted by Sporting Kansas City, stints with the Chicago Fire reserves, Vermont Voltage (USL PDL), Spartak Zlatiborvoda (Serbian pro team), and now FTL! Good luck as the journey continues!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

valpotx

I believe that is the second level of our soccer pyramid?
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

agibson

Of course, not quite a European style pyramid. No promotion and relegation.

VULB#62

Finally on the Valpo Athletic site.  Good for Stefan.  The fact that two teammates within the last couple of years have signed pro contracts points a positive finger at what Mike Avery is doing at Valpo despite (yes, here it comes again) minimal D-I level support and commitment. 

Here's a winning, competitive program that carries close to 40 kids (the university encourages that to improve male enrollment numbers BTW), many of whom never see a varsity minute, and they have to scrimp and do without, practice at 6AM because football gets the turf in the afternoon, and cram themselves into crowded locker space.  Yet they are a model program in many respects.  We are indeed fortunate that the stars have aligned for VU as they have caught Caryn and Mike at a time in their lives when raising two young sons limits movement (despite many offers) and it would be difficult for Caryn and Mike to find another D-I university that would need a super VB and Mens Soccer coach at the same time.