• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Paterno dead at 85

Started by vuweathernerd, January 22, 2012, 10:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7489238/joe-paterno-ex-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-dies-85-2-month-cancer-fight

regardless of your personal opinions on what's come to light over the last few months, you can't argue that he was one of the greatest football coaches of all time, leaving the game as the all-time wins leader. rest in peace, joepa.

valpopal

I knew Joe Paterno a bit since my days when I attended the same high school as he did, though 25 years after he graduated. He often returned to support the school with contributions and visit with students. Beyond his record as a football coach, I found him to be an impressive individual though, like all humans, he was flawed and would be the first to acknowledge his weaknesses, as well as the mistakes he made during his nearly 50 years as a coach.

Still, he was a coach for whom academics was a priority; his teams were often recognized for their academic excellence, and his generosity toward others was immense. He contributed much to the university for projects other than sports, including the Joe Paterno Library. Unfortunately, his legacy has been tarnished by recent events, and I don't think anyone knows yet all the details involved. I just hope history will judge him accurately and fairly. 

setshot

Valpopal: If you went to Brooklyn Prep (papajoe's alma mater) you received a good Jesuit education. Did the Jesuits prepare you to prosper at Lutheran affiliated Valpo? Quite a contrast. PSU will never be the same. RIP,Joe.RIP.

valpopal

Quote from: setshot on January 25, 2012, 03:36:59 PM
Valpopal: If you went to Brooklyn Prep (papajoe's alma mater) you received a good Jesuit education. Did the Jesuits prepare you to prosper at Lutheran affiliated Valpo? Quite a contrast. PSU will never be the same. RIP,Joe.RIP.

Yes, it was a great school as well as a wonderful preparation for college and life in general. I was sorry when it eventually closed its doors.