• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Congrats to former women's basketball assistant coach Katie Colignon, whose Marquette Catholic girls' team won the Indiana class A state championship today! In her two years as head coach at Marquette Catholic, Katie's teams have a 48-8 record.

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpopal on February 24, 2018, 12:45:53 PM
Congrats to former women's basketball assistant coach Katie Colignon, whose Marquette Catholic girls' team won the Indiana class A state championship today! In her two years as head coach at Marquette Catholic, Katie's teams have a 48-8 record.

The previous coach did a great job of recruiting and lost his job when the IHSAA started asking questions.  His recruits have played well since his departure.
Beamin' Beacons

Chairback

Indiana W is having another great year.  If we were proactive and smart we would find a way to get Greg Tonagel on our coaching staff as a Assistant Head Coach.  Pay him enough to leave IW.  He has all the boxes checked for being a premium D1 head coach except for being at a D1 school.

This is a no brainer.

VU2014

This seasons team could have used him. Coach probably shouldn't have deferred to micah last season. A healthy Lexus is clearly a better player and PG then Bradford and brings many more intangibles on and off the court.

I was sad to see him go but I'm also happy he didn't have to experience another disappointing season in a row at Valpo. He really made a difference at Boise State.

https://twitter.com/BroncoSportsMBB/status/970696249560121344

bigmosmithfan1

I'd be willing to bet our season wouldn't have been nearly as "disappointing" if Lexus was still in the fold. I can count at least 4-5 losses that we win if he's on the floor running the point.

Glad to see he had a great season in Boise and I hope they make it to the tourney, because a) the Broncos deserve an at-large bid and b) Lex deserves his shot on the big stage in full health.

valpopal

Watched Boise State's game last night and was disappointed to see them lose in the last minute, which also took away any chance of an NCAA appearance for Lexus, especially since Lexus had a career-high night with a team-leading 24 points, as well as 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, and only 1 turnover. i wish him the best in the NIT!

valpotx

Greg Tonagel's IWU team just won their third national title in the last 5 years.  Congrats to him!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Tonagel is a really impressive coach. It makes you wonder how much longer he is going to stay at the NAIA level. He's accomplished all there is to accomplish at that level.

https://twitter.com/IndyStarSports/status/973807456991285248

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on March 09, 2018, 10:01:43 AM
Watched Boise State's game last night and was disappointed to see them lose in the last minute, which also took away any chance of an NCAA appearance for Lexus, especially since Lexus had a career-high night with a team-leading 24 points, as well as 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, and only 1 turnover. i wish him the best in the NIT!

Rough that they start on the road, at Washington. As the 4 seed it should be their home game, but apparently their gym is being used for the NCAA tournament.

valpo84

Maybe Tonagel is looked at for the E'Ville job? 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VU2014

Quote from: valpo84 on March 14, 2018, 12:28:33 PM
Maybe Tonagel is looked at for the E'Ville job? 

The courier & press said he may be one of the potential candidates but the Top 3 are: Calbert Cheaney, Michael Lewis and Valpo assistant David Ragland.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2018/03/14/looking-potential-evansville-basketball-coaching-candidates/423100002/

agibson

Quote from: agibson on March 14, 2018, 09:57:18 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 09, 2018, 10:01:43 AM

Rough that they start on the road, at Washington. As the 4 seed it should be their home game, but apparently their gym is being used for the NCAA tournament.

Lost by three in double overtime. You've got to think it goes differently if they played the game according to seed, in Boise.

valpotx

I hate saying this, as I like Lexus, but so much for playing at a 'bigger level.'  I imagine that he was playing to the Boise State media, but that video earlier in the season of him saying that he left Valpo because he wanted to play on a bigger stage, rubbed me the wrong way.  That bigger level didn't take you as far the smaller level of Valpo :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

I was watching Clemson- New Mexico St and Skara started and looked pretty good. Should still be going on.

BUT--- UMBC had a lead with 12 minutes to go so I switched over to watch Virginia.   A 20 point win by the 16 seed. I never thought I would live to see one.   :o.         Enjoy.  :thumbsup:

valpotx

Skara is Clemson's glue guy.  He doesn't really do much on the stat sheet, but he seems to get a good chunk of minutes.  He has only attempted 64 shots this season.  I will be curious to see if he stays next season, or if he graduates this summer and transfers somewhere that he can be a bigger contributor on the stat sheet.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 17, 2018, 07:37:31 PM
Skara is Clemson's glue guy.  He doesn't really do much on the stat sheet, but he seems to get a good chunk of minutes.  He has only attempted 64 shots this season.  I will be curious to see if he stays next season, or if he graduates this summer and transfers somewhere that he can be a bigger contributor on the stat sheet.

Might Skara end up at Marshall?

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ivan_vujic_1030037.html

Doesn't Maravilla owe Marshall head coach, D'Antoni, a David Skara?

Or was Ivan's position earned through another of Don Bosco's players? (possibly Croatian Dani Koljanin http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/dani_koljanin_1048158.html)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

Do we have a Bruce Drew that hit a shot on a play called "Valpo" in our history that I'm unaware of?
https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/975440657019006981

VULB#62

While on vacation to Greece, we ate at a high end restaurant overlookking the night-lit Acropolis. Life is good. During the dinner we noticed three rather tall young men and two of their lady friends also having dinner. Overhearing their banter, it turns out they are former US college BB players playing for the Athens pro team in-the Greek league. Great bunch of kids. One from Gonzaga, another from G'Town and the third from Houston. I introduced myself as a Valpo grad and talked a little BB with them. They acknowledged Valpo's recent success (someone's at least paying attention) and I asked them if they were enjoying their experiene — all said yes with broad smiles. Thinking about all our guys overseas playing a game they love, I hope that 1) they are enjoying themselves as well and 2) they are absorbing the wonders of the culture and atmosphere they are in.

FWalum

Don't remember seeing this anywhere, but does anyone know what, when and how this injury happened to Rowdy?
Rowdy Post Surgery Pic
Also, isn't there a way to embed Instagram stuff into the SMF forum posts?  I tried the common BBCode [instagram][/instagram] inserting the ID, but that did not work. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on March 29, 2018, 10:29:06 AM
Don't remember seeing this anywhere, but does anyone know what, when and how this injury happened to Rowdy?
Rowdy Post Surgery Pic
Also, isn't there a way to embed Instagram stuff into the SMF forum posts?  I tried the common BBCode [instagram][/instagram] inserting the ID, but that did not work. 

It sounds like a thumb injury: https://pickandroll.com.au/ryan-broekhoff-6-weeks-thumb-injury/

valpotx

If he is going to get a legit opportunity at the NBA, now is really one of the last chances that he will get.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Agreed. I just hope that thumb injury is heeled up. It sounds like Rowdy has really elevated his game the last few years.