• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Looks like Paul caught up with Max in Montreal and ate some delicious looking food while he was there.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1026545899281903617

valpo84

By the way, Broekhoffs and family are all safe and our thoughts continue for their journeys and congrats on the good things going on.  Twitter reported last night Ryan has signed his contract with Dallas, officially NBA!! 

A comment in another thread and the notes in this thread lead me to a question that might also be a good Paul Oren story idea. The comments about Marcus and this team having a drive towards making some noise this year and next raises the question--with all of the successes of the program (NCAAs, NIT, all the guys in pros, Alec and Ryan making the NBA), does it push this group of players harder, knowing what might be at stake, having seen the real tangible effects of hard work and perseverance?  Does it help Matt's recruiting to be able to point to the development of players and to be able to find players with a little bit of a chip, a feeling of being underappreciated or overlooked?  How does that translate into common purpose/community and how does that integrate with the University's mission/community?  Could be a good topic for the podcast, too, Paul?

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpopal

Quote from: valpo84 on August 07, 2018, 09:05:27 AM
By the way, Broekhoffs and family are all safe and our thoughts continue for their journeys and congrats on the good things going on.  Twitter reported last night Ryan has signed his contract with Dallas, officially NBA!! 

Time to put my Phoenix Suns shirt in the closet and order a Dallas Mavericks shirt.  ;)

valpotx

Quote from: valpopal on August 07, 2018, 09:29:22 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on August 07, 2018, 09:05:27 AM

Time to put my Phoenix Suns shirt in the closet and order a Dallas Mavericks shirt.  ;)

Damn right
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on August 06, 2018, 09:07:45 AM"If there is a chipotle in Moscow, life will work out here"

I'm not sure I've ever had decent Mexican, or Tex-Mex, or Cali-Mex, or any kind of decent tacos or burritos at a restaurant in Europe. (Admittedly, I probably gave up after a while.) There was one place in Geneva that looked decent for tacos, but I never managed to get there.

VU2014

Some really interesting stuff in here. Bryce goes over some his schematics and basketball coaching philosophies.

We had enough time and roster continuity under Bryce to understand how he liked his teams to play. We're still learning what Coach Lottich's Offensive will be. His first two seasons have been very different roster makeups. Arguable his first season wasn't "his" players even though he coached all of them and was part of the recruiting process. Last season felt like it was his guys but there was a ton inexperience on the team and Joe Burton leaving midseason really threw a giant monkey wrench into the team and Tevonn illness hurt as well. I'm looking forward to seeing his offensive scheme.

https://twitter.com/PickAndPopNet/status/1029499406444195840

valpo64

Who really cares about B. Drew"s coaching philosophies now that he has left Valpo for Vandy?  Let's move on.

VUGrad1314

Maybe because the indelible mark Bryce and the Drew family left on the program is essential to understanding our program it's culture and who we are as Crusaders\Crusader fans>

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on August 15, 2018, 01:02:25 PM
Who really cares about B. Drew"s coaching philosophies now that he has left Valpo for Vandy?  Let's move on.

Ugh... me and many others. Bryce is a Valparaiso legend and that entire coaching staff has VU connections. I want Vandy to succeed and I root for them.

Considering that our Head Coach and Associate HC coached with him for a significant amount of time I found it relevant. Every coach takes little bits and pieces from every coach they've ever worked with to mold their own coaching philosophy. It's interesting to compare schemes, but I feel like we haven't been able to appropriately evaluate a Lottich offense for multiple reasons his first two seasons. This season should give us more clarity into how he wants his teams to play.

VUGrad1314

Plus it could provide some insiders clues on how to beat Vanderbilt next year and the year after!

VU2014

I'm glad Joe found landing spot. Hopefully he thrives there and revitalizes his basketball career and get his academics straightened out. I wish him well!

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1031200144103026689

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on August 19, 2018, 11:44:19 AM
I'm glad Joe found landing spot. Hopefully he thrives there and revitalizes his basketball career and get his academics straightened out. I wish him well!

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1031200144103026689

Wow!  Georgetown College plays at the NAIA level.  I guess that is how he is immediately eligible.  I'm guessing he is a First Team All American!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on August 19, 2018, 12:29:15 PM
Wow!  Georgetown College plays at the NAIA level.  I guess that is how he is immediately eligible.  I'm guessing he is a First Team All American!!

Yeah he is going to absolutely dominate at that level.

Does Joe only have one year of eligibility left? Or could he play one year at the NAIA level and then transfer back up to a D1 as grad transfer?

VUGrad1314

Thank goodness Homer came back to take the reigns after Scott left, huh? Who knows where we would be now if he hadn't?

valpo84

Paul Oren--a really interesting story/podcast idea (especially for the younger fans on here) would be a look back/retrospective at how Scott Drew ended up at Baylor.  It's an interesting story and it happened so fast. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

covufan

Quote from: valpo64 on August 15, 2018, 01:02:25 PM
Isn't this a thread on 'where are they now'?  Bryce is a former VU basketball player and VU graduate.  Can't people post things about former players in this thread?

covufan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 22, 2018, 10:05:08 PM
Thank goodness Homer came back to take the reigns after Scott left, huh? Who knows where we would be now if he hadn't?
Scott wouldn't have left if Homer wasn't able to return.

VU2014

Quote from: covufan on August 25, 2018, 11:39:41 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 22, 2018, 10:05:08 PM
Scott wouldn't have left if Homer wasn't able to return.

I think he probably still would have left for Baylor even if Homer wasn't interested in coming out of retirement. You can't begrudge a Coach for taking a opportunity of a lifetime. It would be interesting to see how things would have shaken out if Scott never left. He was probably the best recruiter that VU has ever had and he was/is a hell of a Coach. I'm guessing someone would have hired him away from Valpo eventually but maybe Bryce would have been an assistant under him eventually. If Coach Gore had a few more years of experience under his belt he may have followed Scott somewhere and it would have changed the course of Valpo Basketball history.

vu72

He has yet to win a Big 12 title in his 15 years.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on August 25, 2018, 05:47:19 PM

Am I really reading this correctly? Are you really trying to infer that Scott Drew isn't a good coach?

He literally built that program up from the rubble and made them into a consistent Top 25 program with Elite 8 appearances.

Let's show the man that helped build the Valpo Program a little bit of the respect he deserves. No offense 72 but that is a asinine comment. The Big 12 is consistently one of the best Conferences in the nation in MBB.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on August 25, 2018, 05:47:19 PM

Scott Drew sucks because he can't dethrone Kansas? Guess Bob Huggins Bruce Weber Chris Beard Shaka Smart and the host of other great coaches past and present who have tried and failed ( a list that includes multiple national title winners and coaches with  final 4 experience) all suck too. What's next? Mark Few Chris Mack Thad Matta and Brad Stevens all suck because they've never won a national title? Homer Drew never won the Horizon League. Rick Byrd has never won a tournament game. Are they terrible too?

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"