• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I think Jay can be a solid player for them but playing "fast" won't fit his style on offense. He's always going be an above avg center, which is where his true value has alway been

valpotx

He will be too soft for the AAC, but I hope that he proves me wrong.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Awesome to hear Buggs was in town and took time speak to some of the student athletes. I'd love to see him on the staff one day. I know he's been coaching the last few years. VU has shown interest in some of his players.

https://twitter.com/dsackey_4/status/1167916836429545474?s=21
https://twitter.com/imjusteb5/status/1167932051783241736?s=21
https://twitter.com/imjusteb5/status/1168168049238786048?s=21

valpotx

Mo Kone is playing a key role for his home country in the FIBA World Cup, at age 38:

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/game/3108/Cote-d-Ivoire-China#tab=boxscore

No Kikas on Angola's roster for the first time in a long time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on September 01, 2019, 12:29:04 PM
Mo Kone is playing a key role for his home country in the FIBA World Cup, at age 38:

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/game/3108/Cote-d-Ivoire-China#tab=boxscore

I imagine he didn't say anything about dominating FIBA.

zvillehaze

Quote from: covufan on July 30, 2019, 06:53:53 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 24, 2019, 08:35:44 PM
https://twitter.com/BBCHSBOYSHOOPS/status/1154020535300501504?s=20
I wish him well.

On another note, I went to the verbal commits website for Southern U:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/southern-university

And guess what is listed under the "Latest Jaguar Headlines" section?

http://www.subr.edu/news/southern-plants-first-seeds-in-medical-marijuana-venture

I'll leave this here with no further comment...

I just noticed that Micah will be returning to the state when Southern plays at Butler in December.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

crusader05

Yep I think he was around during Homecoming Weekend

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

This obituary was shared with me this afternoon.  It's from August...

Dr. Mark James Peters, 66, passed away Saturday, August 17, 2019, at home with his family in Metairie, Louisiana. Mark was born in Dayton, Ohio, and grew up in Tipp City, Ohio, where he later served many years as a family practice physician. Recently, Mark held a 15-year tenure as CEO of East Jefferson General Hospital in Metairie, Louisiana.

After joining the hospital as medical director in 2000, and later promoted to CEO, Mark served the East Jefferson community, team members, medical staff, foundation and auxiliary until his stage IV pancreatic cancer diagnosis in 2017.

Most recently, Mark held the position of chief medical officer for United Healthcare-Gulf States Region. Mark arrived in New Orleans after serving as chief medical officer/vice president of medical services at Upper Valley Medical Center in Troy, Ohio.

A graduate of Tippecanoe High School and Valparaiso University, Mark played basketball with distinction for Tippecanoe and the Valparaiso Crusaders, where he earned a basketball scholarship and studied pre-med. Later, Mark earned a medical degree from The Ohio State University in 1978 and was named 1979 intern of the year and 1981 chief resident by Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, Ohio. Mark later earned accreditation as a certified physician executive (CPE). Mark was a beloved husband, father, stepfather and "Poppi" to three sons and two grandchildren. Mark leaves behind his wife, Kimberly Pfister Peters, sons (mother Jennifer Grim Peters) James Peters (wife Lyndsay, grandsons Jack and Benjamin), Bradley Peters (wife Whitney Peters) and stepson Cole Radetich (father Ray Radetich) He is welcomed to heaven by his parents James Harold Peters and Janet Leora Ely, both of Dayton, Ohio. He is the brother of Matthew Peters (Jill), Christopher Peters (Kari), and sisters Lora Heddleston (George), Liana Tinsley (Kevin) and Lisa Kiger (David) as well as 10 nieces and nephews. He is brother-in-law to Jerry Pfister, Jr. (Paula), Kerry Naquin (Kevin) as well as four nieces and nephews. Mark's in-laws are Jerry and Alice Pfister. Visitation will be held Friday, August 23, at 10., at St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church located at 105 Bonnabel Blvd, Metairie, Louisiana, 70005. Funeral mass will begin at 12 p.m. Flowers accepted, or consider making a donation to St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church. Condolences may be expressed to the family by visiting www.gardenofmemoriesmetairie.com
Published in The Times-Picayune on Aug. 21, 2019

valpotx

I'll eat some crow here, as I bashed Coach Ragland's decision to leave Valpo for what I thought was a weaker Utah State team.  His last few stops have definitely helped his profile, as he took advantage of a good NKU team/year, got to claim Alec Peters' Senior year and a championship, and is now at a top 20 Utah State team.  The guy either really researches the jobs he is moving into, or has an incredible amount of luck!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

Just Sayin

Smits made a pretty move for the basket he made.  Impressive.

valpotx

Not to be outdone by Bradford and Smits in their face off this year, Sorolla and Evelyn are playing tonight:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401169978
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 15, 2019, 12:39:02 AM

He committed 3 fouls in 7 minutes of action in Butler's 70-61 win over Purdue yesterday.  :o

He also scored a basket in 2 attempts.

FWalum

Talked to Ron Howard on Friday at the concordia Lutheran basketball game. He was part of a Fort Wayne Mad Ants fundraising halftime effort for Cross Connections a Christian counseling service. The event pitted Ron against one of the high school basketball players in a three point shooting contest which Ron won handily, he still has a pretty sweet stroke. He told me that he and his family are doing well and that he plans on staying in Fort Wayne for a while.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on December 22, 2019, 12:26:10 PM
Talked to Ron Howard on Friday at the concordia Lutheran basketball game. He was part of a Fort Wayne Mad Ants fundraising halftime effort for Cross Connections a Christian counseling service. The event pitted Ron against one of the high school basketball players in a three point shooting contest which Ron won handily, he still has a pretty sweet stroke. He told me that he and his family are doing well and that he plans on staying in Fort Wayne for a while.

How could Mr. Mad Ant not stay in Ft Wayne? I heard he was going into the Pacers HOF for most determined and long lasting non-roster player ever.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 22, 2019, 09:38:17 AM

He committed 3 fouls in 7 minutes of action in Butler's 70-61 win over Purdue yesterday.  :o

LaValle Jordan is starting to finally win over more of the Butler Bulldog faithful. I thought for a while he was going to get run out of town. Hinkle Hounding at it's wurst. German sausage not included.

valpotx

With a few sick kids, and their control over the TV, I was relegated to my laptop tonight.  With this, I thought that I would catch the end of the Lipscomb/Stetson game, as well as James Madison/UNCW, to see how Hazen and Linssen look live.  Hazen is still the same guy we remember, and based on his stat trajectory this season, he has done the same thing at Lipscomb, starting the first few games strong, and then becoming non-existent.  He still looks lost on the court, as well.  Linssen, however, was a big loss.  He ended up with 19 points and 10 rebounds, and looks like he belongs in the CAA (not too much worse than the MVC).  Yes, he fouled out at the end of the game, but he seems to be their best player.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on January 02, 2020, 07:58:17 PM
With a few sick kids, and their control over the TV, I was relegated to my laptop tonight.  With this, I thought that I would catch the end of the Lipscomb/Stetson game, as well as James Madison/UNCW, to see how Hazen and Linssen look live.  Hazen is still the same guy we remember, and based on his stat trajectory this season, he has done the same thing at Lipscomb, starting the first few games strong, and then becoming non-existent.  He still looks lost on the court, as well.  Linssen, however, was a big loss.  He ended up with 19 points and 10 rebounds, and looks like he belongs in the CAA (not too much worse than the MVC).  Yes, he fouled out at the end of the game, but he seems to be their best player.

Happy for Martin, but it just reinforces how much this program has suffered by building its entire program around 2 failed 7' centers.  BTW Smits was a Bryce recruit that Matt inherited, laziness, bad attitude and all. Bryce may also have started the recruiting Process with Sorolla, before he took the Vanderbilt job.

valpopal

Worth checking out this game on ESPN2:

[tweet]1213130139606929409[/tweet]

wh

Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2019, 11:30:37 PM
Quote from: wh on December 22, 2019, 09:38:17 AM

LaValle Jordan is starting to finally win over more of the Butler Bulldog faithful. I thought for a while he was going to get run out of town. Hinkle Hounding at it's wurst. German sausage not included.

And all the Holiday Inn Express coaches on their message board have apologized profusely for thinking Butler got it completely wrong for turning over the reins to Jordan. Yeah, right.

Still the most ignorant, hyper-critical message board fans I have ever encountered.   

valpotx

Wow, Baylor just won AT Kansas!  Scott definitely has a top 5 team this season.
"Don't mess with Texas"