• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

IT'S OFFICIAL!!! VALPO04 IS THE FIRST EVER POSTER OF THE WEEK!!!!

Started by Crusader03, February 06, 2012, 10:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!  VALPO04 IS THE FIRST EVER POSTER OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!

valpo04
1 (100%)
ValpoHoops
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: February 11, 2012, 10:16:39 PM

StlVUFan

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 07, 2012, 09:47:44 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 07, 2012, 07:47:12 PM
Quote from: sectionee on February 07, 2012, 06:24:15 PM
What an honor.  Congratulations Valpo04  :lol: Some of you need to relax and have a little fun with this guy.

Oh, he's harmless.  I am still waiting for the fun part, though.

Where did you and I go wrong STL?  Was it the abbreviation thing?  Maybe we should start over.  You should be in the elite tier with me, ee, et al...not languishing with the rabble.  I'm game if you are!

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=453.msg7030#msg7030

Are you telling me you've changed your mind about being taken seriously?

Crusader03

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 07, 2012, 10:45:04 PM
What an honor.  Congratulations Valpo04  :lol: Some of you need to relax and have a little fun with this guy.

Where did you and I go wrong STL?  Was it the abbreviation thing?  Maybe we should start over.  You should be in the elite tier with me, ee, et al...not languishing with the rabble.  I'm game if you are!

I want to be taken seriously, but in a very light-hearted, hilarious way!  So, are we friends again?

historyman

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 08, 2012, 06:44:15 PM

I want to be taken seriously, but in a very light-hearted, hilarious way!  So, are we friends again?

I want to be taken light-heartedly but in a serious and hilarious way. Huh? What?

StlVUFan

That makes no sense.  Either you want to be taken seriously, or you don't.  Pick a lane.

Crusader03

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 08, 2012, 09:10:08 PM

That makes no sense.  Either you want to be taken seriously, or you don't.  Pick a lane.

Ok.  I want to be taken super-seriously.  Starting RIGHT NOW.

Now, are we friends or not?

StlVUFan

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 08, 2012, 09:32:46 PM

Sorry ;)  I wasn't saying I was ready to take you seriously.  I just never bothered to join in the reaction of others because you said you weren't concerned about being taken seriously.  In other words, it wasn't an issue to me.  It was kind of a game to me, to see whether you could get under people's skin while just being intentionally silly, while others would fail to get under your skin.  It's a game I play on a White Sox forum with a guy who, while an adult lawyer, is still a little kid as a White Sox fan.  His silly postings drive everybody crazy, but their attempts to pay him back are futile because nothing gets his goat.  I call him the Teflon Sox fan, and I enjoy watching people try -- and fail -- to hurt his feelings (this White Sox forum is like something out of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, to be sure).

If you want me to take you seriously, however, you're going to have to stop acting like you own the forum without even having done anything to earn such recognition.  It's a group dynamic thing.  I've learned that very same lesson the hard way myself a long time ago when I was in college.  I wanted to set the agenda for the social group I was in, but -- never mind that this is selfishness -- I had never earned that kind of respect.  The object lesson was driven home in brutal fashion, and I deserved every bit of it.

The Lady Crusaders had zero chance for an at-large bid (apart from the purely mathematical one) before the season even began, Valpo is not a "clean house" kind of school, we don't know half the story of what's going on (and if you do you can either name your source or expect skepticism from me -- if you peruse the archives of this forum you'll find me making that point to someone else).  These were all silly ideas on your part.  They're harmless, but you shouldn't be surprised when they are met with sharp negative reactions that occasionally border on mockery.  But presuming to judge other posters and put them into categories and presuming to establish an experts-only forum (membership subject to your whims) open you up to derision that is justified, in my opinion.  Changing your avatar to something out of 1984 (yes, I've read the book numerous times, I'm very familiar with it) leads me back to my original proposal:

Wouldn't you be happier just being silly and being taken as such?  I'd go back to enjoying it from the peanut gallery, and in that sense, I suppose we could be friends.  Think about it.

Or, I can just react to your avatar with: Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

Or you can work on earning the respect of the forum so people will take you seriously.

These are my suggestions, nothing more.

:twocents:

bbtds

You do have him pegged perfectly, StL. Crusader03 is the a perfect representative of the "it's all about me" kind of poster. The biggest issue he has is that he seems to believe he fits into some kind of "elite posters" group that he is the sole judge of membership and if he vanished tomorrow most of the "elite posters" he named would just miss a little of the amusement he brings but ultimately couldn't care less if he was posting or not. I am correct?

Crusader03

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 08, 2012, 10:28:42 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on February 08, 2012, 09:32:46 PM

Sorry ;)  I wasn't saying I was ready to take you seriously.  I just never bothered to join in the reaction of others because you said you weren't concerned about being taken seriously.  In other words, it wasn't an issue to me.  It was kind of a game to me, to see whether you could get under people's skin while just being intentionally silly, while others would fail to get under your skin.  It's a game I play on a White Sox forum with a guy who, while an adult lawyer, is still a little kid as a White Sox fan.  His silly postings drive everybody crazy, but their attempts to pay him back are futile because nothing gets his goat.  I call him the Teflon Sox fan, and I enjoy watching people try -- and fail -- to hurt his feelings (this White Sox forum is like something out of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, to be sure).

If you want me to take you seriously, however, you're going to have to stop acting like you own the forum without even having done anything to earn such recognition.  It's a group dynamic thing.  I've learned that very same lesson the hard way myself a long time ago when I was in college.  I wanted to set the agenda for the social group I was in, but -- never mind that this is selfishness -- I had never earned that kind of respect.  The object lesson was driven home in brutal fashion, and I deserved every bit of it.

The Lady Crusaders had zero chance for an at-large bid (apart from the purely mathematical one) before the season even began, Valpo is not a "clean house" kind of school, we don't know half the story of what's going on (and if you do you can either name your source or expect skepticism from me -- if you peruse the archives of this forum you'll find me making that point to someone else).  These were all silly ideas on your part.  They're harmless, but you shouldn't be surprised when they are met with sharp negative reactions that occasionally border on mockery.  But presuming to judge other posters and put them into categories and presuming to establish an experts-only forum (membership subject to your whims) open you up to derision that is justified, in my opinion.  Changing your avatar to something out of 1984 (yes, I've read the book numerous times, I'm very familiar with it) leads me back to my original proposal:

Wouldn't you be happier just being silly and being taken as such?  I'd go back to enjoying it from the peanut gallery, and in that sense, I suppose we could be friends.  Think about it.

Or, I can just react to your avatar with: Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

Or you can work on earning the respect of the forum so people will take you seriously.

These are my suggestions, nothing more.

GREAT post from a guy who actually gets what is going on.  You have led me to my answer, Oracle...I will not necessarily be taken seriously or taken as a provacateur...I will remain an enigma.  Someone like me needs to allow each person to wrestle with my posts, ponder them, consider their weightiness or levity, and then decide how they will view me.  I'm a puzzle, nay a riddle, that needs to be deciphered. 

Those with even a measure of common sense will be able to see what I am and what my purpose on this board is....and those who react with anger or acerbation...well, c'mon man.  I guess we all know what we think about that.   :lol:

Now, to the matter at hand.  STL, I do want to be friends.  BUT, I must say...if you are going to consistently rip the Lady 'Saders, tear down their hopes for an at-large this season, subtly "rip" Keith at every opportunity, I would kindly ask that you remove the "VU" from your moniker because this type of posting is not befitting a true 'Po fan.  Respect THAT. 

Crusader03

Quote from: sectionee on February 08, 2012, 10:03:56 PM
Time for a cyber man hug

That's all I've ever wanted with this STL guy, but he always wants to do the he-said she-said stuff.  And that just doesn't feel very Lutheran-y to me.  I guarantee if I was Bono he would be all for this cyberhug idea.

OWYGWYGAIR?  (Oh well you give what you get am i right?)

Crusader03

Quote from: bbtds on February 09, 2012, 02:36:24 AM
You do have him pegged perfectly, StL. Crusader03 is the a perfect representative of the "it's all about me" kind of poster. The biggest issue he has is that he seems to believe he fits into some kind of "elite posters" group that he is the sole judge of membership and if he vanished tomorrow most of the "elite posters" he named would just miss a little of the amusement he brings but ultimately couldn't care less if he was posting or not. I am correct?

And NOW your true feelings come out bbtds.  I've thought for a while you were a snake in the grass and I guess we all see that after this post.  Spew your venom elsewhere...this thread is to honor the mods, not for you to pull your internet-tough guy routine.  It has grown stale and I'm fairly certain the hoi polloi has had enough.  Start your own thread for this type of trash (and we will all promptly ignore it)

But just to defend myself...the board is not ALL ABOUT ME.  In fact, it's the opposite.  I come here, free of charge, to share my insights and information regarding the Lady 'Saders.  Tucked away in that info are nuggets of life lessons that you can gain from too.  I don't want any recognition for that, let alone any kind of payment or anything.  No, I do this as a service to the board.

In terms of the elite board, yes, it is needed.  Honestly, do most of you want to discuss things like Laura Richard's diet or Keith's philosophy on junk defenses?  Half of you are looking around scratching your head wondering "what's a junk defense??"  And that's fine!!!  I just don't want to bore you or anyone else with that info...it's premium stuff that I don't expect the common fan to want or need to know.  Guys like dmvalpo, sectionee, jack and possibly 72 are interested in the details and want to discuss them...why do feel a need to hate what other people are privileged to have?  Your jealously is unbecoming, bbtds. 

I will speak openly for sectionee and say that he would be very sad if I were to vanish.  My humor and insight here is likely what inspires I'd say 65-85% of his articles.  Same goes for DM.  Jack and I are about the only two who care about the Lady 'Saders so I sure think he wants me around...doesn't want to talk to himself does he?  And for you to say 72 would be that heartless is an insult to him....he is one of the nicest posters around to insinuate otherwise is borderline libelous. 

Valpo04, you have a clean up on page 3.  bbtds has egg on his face.   8)

Crusader03

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 08, 2012, 10:28:42 PMwe don't know half the story of what's going on (and if you do you can either name your source or expect skepticism from me -- if you peruse the archives of this forum you'll find me making that point to someone else). 

I'm assuming valporun?

StlVUFan

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 09, 2012, 10:20:25 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 08, 2012, 10:28:42 PMwe don't know half the story of what's going on (and if you do you can either name your source or expect skepticism from me -- if you peruse the archives of this forum you'll find me making that point to someone else). 

I'm assuming valporun?

I doubt it.  I think it was someone else.

I can only conclude that you really don't want to be taken seriously, so I'll go back to spectator mode.  I can honestly say I've learned absolutely nothing about you or myself from our conversation.  It's 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

valporun

What I've learned about Crusader03 is this, while he is amazingly supportive of Valpo athletics, he is also the kind of self-obsorbed pot stirrer that Rick was back in 2008 with all of this political views and articles that showed just how one-sided he was. The expert forum, if he wants to start it on his own, is a fine idea, but will the so-called "experts" want to be discussing ESPN-like details for hours on end?

Crusader03

Quote from: valporun on February 09, 2012, 12:30:02 PM
What I've learned about Crusader03 is this, while he is amazingly supportive of Valpo athletics, he is also the kind of self-obsorbed pot stirrer that Rick was back in 2008 with all of this political views and articles that showed just how one-sided he was. The expert forum, if he wants to start it on his own, is a fine idea, but will the so-called "experts" want to be discussing ESPN-like details for hours on end?

Thanks for the props bro!!  :thumbsup:

Crusader03

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 09, 2012, 11:57:14 AM

I'm assuming valporun?

I can only conclude that you really don't want to be taken seriously, so I'll go back to spectator mode.  I can honestly say I've learned absolutely nothing about you or myself from our conversation.  It's 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Ok, fair 'nuff.  Let's get to know each other.  Answer these questions and I'll get back to you with my answers!

1)  How did you come to be affiliated with Valpo hoops?

2)  Who is your favorite player on this current team?  Favorite all time?

3)  You're at Golden Corrall and you can add 5 things to your plate....what are they?

4)  Do you have any hobbies?

Anyone else who wants to get to know each other better and gain a close friend in the process, please feel free to respond as well!!!

valporun

To answer Crusader03's questions:

1) I became affiliated with Valpo hoops thru my involvement in cross country and track, also being a part of the Crusader Pep Band from 1999-2004. Many games watched in person, and in traveling to the Mid-Con tourneys.

2) My current favorite player is Kevin Van Wijk because he reminds me of the type of bangers inside we had in Stalin Ortiz, Roberto Nieves, and a few others. In terms of my all-time favorite, I have to go with Lubos Barton for his ability to have an all-around game that kept Valpo in the big games with ORU, Southern Utah in the Monaco days, and in some other games that we needed his overall basketball skill. Dan Oppland was another one of those bangers, like Kevin, who would do it all for the team. He left everything out there, and he did the things that was asked of him as hard as he could.

3) That's tough to answer as I've only eaten there once in the last 5 years, and it was not a good experience. I guess if I had to pick 5 things though, I would go with mac and cheese, chicken, fish, mashed potatoes, and if apple pie is on the dessert counter.

4) I read, write, work in baseball concessions during my summers, watch classic movies on Turner Classic Movies, am a huge Cubs and Bears fan, and love to hang out with my 4-year-old nephew when Grandma has to go babysit him. I used to be an avid runner, but ever since I was involved a pedestrian-to-motor vehicle accident in September 2005, my running days have been few, but when I couldn't run, I coached cross country and track for a couple of years at my high school.

sectionee

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 09, 2012, 09:20:46 AMI will speak openly for sectionee and say that he would be very sad if I were to vanish.  My humor and insight here is likely what inspires I'd say 65-85% of his articles.
Don't sell yourself short! I ran the numbers, 88.27% of my posts are directly/indirectly related to you or something you've posted here in some roundabout way.

Crusader03

Quote from: sectionee on February 10, 2012, 06:42:46 AM
Quote from: Crusader03 on February 09, 2012, 09:20:46 AMI will speak openly for sectionee and say that he would be very sad if I were to vanish.  My humor and insight here is likely what inspires I'd say 65-85% of his articles.
Don't sell yourself short! I ran the numbers, 88.27% of my posts are directly/indirectly related to you or something you've posted here in some roundabout way.

Ok, now you're just flattering me!!!   :D---> :lol:---> :rotfl:

I hope all the haters are tuning into this post...looks like you were wrong....EE, for starters, NEEDS me to keep posting for his livelihood to continue.  Bet he doesn't want me vanishing anytime soon *smug smile and shoulder shrug*

Crusader03

I'm assuming valporun?

Good chatting with you last night!  I think we both realized that the "other guy" isn't so bad afterall.  I kind of see thw two of us as a "Starsky and Hutch" of sorts.  You're Starsky, of course...straight-laced, unamused, wanting to crack down on the humor...and I'm Hutch...hilarious, ladies love me, living life to the fullest, but maybe needs to mind my p's and q's a bit more...at first, we were like oil and water.  We didn't mix.  But as this movie...well, message board relationship...progresses into the second hour we became friends, having a great time together.  We had one last conflict---this thread perhaps?---but in the end we came through it all....TOGETHER.

Am I the only one who sees this analogy?  It seems pretty obvious to me.

Crusader03

Quote from: valporun on February 09, 2012, 02:26:14 PM
To answer Crusader03's questions:

1) I became affiliated with Valpo hoops thru my involvement in cross country and track, also being a part of the Crusader Pep Band from 1999-2004. Many games watched in person, and in traveling to the Mid-Con tourneys.

2) My current favorite player is Kevin Van Wijk because he reminds me of the type of bangers inside we had in Stalin Ortiz, Roberto Nieves, and a few others. In terms of my all-time favorite, I have to go with Lubos Barton for his ability to have an all-around game that kept Valpo in the big games with ORU, Southern Utah in the Monaco days, and in some other games that we needed his overall basketball skill. Dan Oppland was another one of those bangers, like Kevin, who would do it all for the team. He left everything out there, and he did the things that was asked of him as hard as he could.

3) That's tough to answer as I've only eaten there once in the last 5 years, and it was not a good experience. I guess if I had to pick 5 things though, I would go with mac and cheese, chicken, fish, mashed potatoes, and if apple pie is on the dessert counter.

4) I read, write, work in baseball concessions during my summers, watch classic movies on Turner Classic Movies, am a huge Cubs and Bears fan, and love to hang out with my 4-year-old nephew when Grandma has to go babysit him. I used to be an avid runner, but ever since I was involved a pedestrian-to-motor vehicle accident in September 2005, my running days have been few, but when I couldn't run, I coached cross country and track for a couple of years at my high school.

Thanks for the answers man!  I appreciated learning a bit more about you and hope others join in the fun.

Here are mine:

1) Grew up in the Region, watching Valpo hoops.  Attended VU briefly, but ended up transferring.  Never stopped loving 'Sader hoops through my many moves and now am back locally and getting to see them play in person a lot more.

2)  My favorite player is also Van Wijk...great minds think alike!  I was just not a big fan of Cory (too soft) and I like what Kevin brings to this team in terms of toughness.  My all time favorite players were Grafs (a buddy of mine), Drew (of course), Viskovic, Sykes and more recently, Van Wijk, Broekhoff and Huff.

3) Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, mac n cheese, and an ice cream sundae.  Balanced diet.

4)  Huge ND football, Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Hawks fan.  Coaching, reading, spending time with my family etc takes up most of my time.  In my spare time, I like to bring joy and laughter to the people of this board...particularly those who know who i am. ;) (ml?)

StlVUFan

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 10, 2012, 09:39:05 AM

I'm assuming valporun?

Good chatting with you last night!  I think we both realized that the "other guy" isn't so bad afterall.  I kind of see thw two of us as a "Starsky and Hutch" of sorts.  You're Starsky, of course...straight-laced, unamused, wanting to crack down on the humor...and I'm Hutch...hilarious, ladies love me, living life to the fullest, but maybe needs to mind my p's and q's a bit more...at first, we were like oil and water.  We didn't mix.  But as this movie...well, message board relationship...progresses into the second hour we became friends, having a great time together.  We had one last conflict---this thread perhaps?---but in the end we came through it all....TOGETHER.

Give me some actual humor to work with and you'll find I'm all about the humor.

Crusader03

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 10, 2012, 11:26:41 AM

I'm assuming valporun?

Give me some actual humor to work with and you'll find I'm all about the humor.

Now THAT'S humor  :lol:

bbtds

I'm assuming valporun?

Oh good golly and just in time for Valentine's Day. Do you friends need a room?

Crusader03

Quote from: bbtds on February 10, 2012, 01:50:54 PM

I'm assuming valporun?

Oh good golly and just in time for Valentine's Day. Do you friends need a room?

Please don't push your liberal agenda on STL and me, and please, stop derailing threads with your political and moral ramblings.