• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Loyola MARYMOUNT (2/17) Game Thread

Started by covufan, February 15, 2012, 05:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

RealTimeRPI has us losing by nine: http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_281_Men.html; Teamrankings by eight: http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/matchup/crusaders-lions-2012-02-17

KenPom and Massey have both teams more evenly rated, but no score predictor.  I think we can surprise this team, but we need everyone healthy and to play a decent game.  As always, we need to control the boards and limit our turnovers. 

Valpo  72
LMU    71

vuweathernerd

marymount has nobody over 6-9, but they have six players between 6-6 and 6-9. based solely on looking at their roster, we look fairly even matched. i'm hoping for a good game.

valpopal

On paper the teams are fairly evenly matched; however, the score in this game doesn't really mean anything. This is one of the unfortunate consequences to the way the Bracketbusters is set up. The match has more of an exhibition game feeling to it. Plus, the main focus should be on the two conference games next week.

I just hope the players enjoy their trip to California and nobody gets injured. I wouldn't mind if Kevin played fewer minutes and regained his full health, while Vujic got some more minutes and experience.

Valpo   64
LMU     76

FWalum

LMU will have a HUGE homecourt advantage in this game, much like we did last year. We are going into hostile territory for a primetime game and probably a full house. If we lose and Bryce is able to right the ship like Counzo Martin did last year with his team then I really don't think this game has much bearing on the season or our chances in the tournament.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Valpo 77
LMU 72

We play well, they are down from their two recent tough games against Gonzaga and St. Mary's.
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

The only thing to be gained from this game is a sense of our ability to take on an unknown team of potential NCAA tourney caliber.  If we can man up to this challenge, *then* get back to business and win out, the gain in confidence might be significance.

Unfortunately, it is no easy task, especially since this is a bit like bread and circuses, where lesser mortals fight each other for the amusement of the ruling class ;)  Obviously a real honest to goodness bracket buster event would more closely forecast a real NCAA tourney first round game.  Worthy contenders would take on power conference teams at neutral sites (closer to the power conference team's home is fine with me) as a preview of what might happen in March.  I wouldn't mind stipulating that the real match up in March can't be the same two teams.

Oh wait, the NCAA isn't really in charge of the basketball season, are they?  Never mind...

Anyway, the only thing to do in a situation like this is develop a cold-blooded serenity about the powers-that-be and just make it about your own performance, much like I think Valpo has to do on lonely Tuesday nights when the ARC is half empty and the 1 seed is on the line.  Screw them; win for winning's sake, pretend the stands are full or pretend you're on the road.  Don't let the outside world dictate your performance.  Find a way to generate your own energy.  Then when the outside world takes notice and gives you your due, kill them with humility ;)

Easier said then done ;)

justducky

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 15, 2012, 07:28:59 PM
The only thing to be gained from this game is a sense of our ability to take on an unknown team of potential NCAA tourney caliber.  If we can man up to this challenge, *then* get back to business and win out, the gain in confidence might be significance.

Unfortunately, it is no easy task, especially since this is a bit like bread and circuses, where lesser mortals fight each other for the amusement of the ruling class ;)  Obviously a real honest to goodness bracket buster event would more closely forecast a real NCAA tourney first round game.  Worthy contenders would take on power conference teams at neutral sites (closer to the power conference team's home is fine with me) as a preview of what might happen in March.  I wouldn't mind stipulating that the real match up in March can't be the same two teams.

Oh wait, the NCAA isn't really in charge of the basketball season, are they?  Never mind...

Anyway, the only thing to do in a situation like this is develop a cold-blooded serenity about the powers-that-be and just make it about your own performance, much like I think Valpo has to do on lonely Tuesday nights when the ARC is half empty and the 1 seed is on the line.  Screw them; win for winning's sake, pretend the stands are full or pretend you're on the road.  Don't let the outside world dictate your performance.  Find a way to generate your own energy.  Then when the outside world takes notice and gives you your due, kill them with humility ;)

Easier said then done ;)
Kid, this is one of your finest pieces of work. I agree with every point you made and could have stated nothing in any better fashion. I am impressed, and believe that if you were nominated for "poster of the week" you would win in a landslide.

StlVUFan

Quote from: justducky on February 15, 2012, 08:15:36 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 15, 2012, 07:28:59 PM

Easier said then done ;)
Kid, this is one of your finest pieces of work. I agree with every point you made and could have stated nothing in any better fashion. I am impressed, and believe that if you were nominated for "poster of the week" you would win in a landslide.
:)

What can I say, I've been in a Kyle state of mind lately (www.midmajority.com).

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on February 15, 2012, 05:57:38 PM
On paper the teams are fairly evenly matched; however, the score in this game doesn't really mean anything. This is one of the unfortunate consequences to the way the Bracketbusters is set up. The match has more of an exhibition game feeling to it. Plus, the main focus should be on the two conference games next week.

I just hope the players enjoy their trip to California and nobody gets injured. I wouldn't mind if Kevin played fewer minutes and regained his full health, while Vujic got some more minutes and experience.

Valpo   64
LMU     76
L-Marymount beat #21 St Mary's last night 75-60 and by doing so have jumped just ahead of us with a RPI of 90. My guess is that this changes nothing and that both teams still have no chance of either an NCAA or NIT at large bid. Since the only thing that matters  then is their league standings and tournaments one could speculate  that perhaps some unspoken or spoken understanding exists as to the goals and conduct of this game.

I agree with Valpopal on VanWijk and Vucic. Why not start the game with the intent of getting Vucic no less than 12 minutes and Kevin no more than 17. Within those stated constraints you will do pretty much anything else you can do to win. Maybe you would even want to start Vucic at the 5 Edwards at the 4 with Broekhoff at the 3. That might give us a sneak preview of Both Edwards playing a true 4 and Ryan playing a true 3. Then perhaps at the 16 minute mark you start going towards your more traditional rotations. If nothing else it would be an interesting look.
Loyola- Marymount 80 Valpo 73 but then who really cares?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: justducky on February 16, 2012, 02:39:02 AM
Quote from: valpopal on February 15, 2012, 05:57:38 PM

Valpo   64
LMU     76
L-Marymount beat #21 St Mary's last night 75-60 and by doing so have jumped just ahead of us with a RPI of 90. My guess is that this changes nothing and that both teams still have no chance of either an NCAA or NIT at large bid. Since the only thing that matters  then is their league standings and tournaments one could speculate  that perhaps some unspoken or spoken understanding exists as to the goals and conduct of this game.

I agree with Valpopal on VanWijk and Vucic. Why not start the game with the intent of getting Vucic no less than 12 minutes and Kevin no more than 17. Within those stated constraints you will do pretty much anything else you can do to win. Maybe you would even want to start Vucic at the 5 Edwards at the 4 with Broekhoff at the 3. That might give us a sneak preview of Both Edwards playing a true 4 and Ryan playing a true 3. Then perhaps at the 16 minute mark you start going towards your more traditional rotations. If nothing else it would be an interesting look.
Loyola- Marymount 80 Valpo 73 but then who really cares?

i don't know the state of the wcc standings, so i can't speak for marymount. but if we win the conference regular season championship, we're guaranteed no worse than an nit autobid. but i agree that there's no way we get an ncaa at-large. too spotty of a record with some losses that really shouldn't have happened.

valporun

LMU is currently sitting 4th in the West Coast Conference behind St. Mary's, Gonzaga, and BYU. Besides St. Mary's and Gonzaga, the league doesn't really have any strength to it. I watched this game online last night, and LMU got the lead and held on it for 98% of the ghame. It was early in the 2nd half where St. Mary's got a short-lived lead. I thought momentum might shift to the Gaels, but then the Lions continued playing the game they'd been playing all game long. It was a good physical game, and based on the final score, I hope LMU gives us a good physical game that we can build momentum going into the Loyola Ramblers and Butler games. I'm not certain about the game tomorrow night, but as long as we can use it to our advantage on Tuesday and next Saturday, I'm almost certain we can make this game help us get the HL regular season title and autobid to the NIT.

(edit: I forgot that conference realignment hit the WCC, and they added BYU to their league. I don't really feel it changed the outlook of the game or anything in my post, besides the first line. I can't say that BYU has changed the conference strength until they've really been in it for a few years or so.)

KL31NY

Courtesy of pgmado's twitter account

QuoteValparaiso big man Kevin Van Wijk will not travel to California in order to rest for final Horizon League games.

Hope we can still put on a good showing without KVW. Richie and Hrvoje will need to step up defensively so LMU doesn't run amok in the paint...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valporun

Smart decision on Bryce's part to leave KVW home.

valpotx

I am changing my prediction with the KVW information:

LMU 78
Valpo 68
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

This is great news that Kevin is staying behind to rest.  This game is meaningless and a distraction for the real goal....winning out the HL and securing home cooking for the tournament.

All this talk about the HL tournament reminds me oh so much of similar talk a year ago.  That sure didnt work out, did it?

Ed

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on February 16, 2012, 09:55:54 AM
I watched this game online last night

On what platform?  I looked at espn3 this morning, and didn't see it in the Replay tab, but maybe it hasn't been loaded yet.

78crusader

Playing these Bracketbuster games is just a bad idea and I hope this is our last one.

Paul

valpotx

I guess I am still in the minority in thinking that these games are good for us.  I know that the student-athletes really enjoy getting to play an extra out-of-conference team, and if you are doing well, you get to test yourself against a quality opponent.  We will have plenty of time to rest up after the game, so we can't use it as an excuse if we don't play well against Loyola.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo89

I'll bet Kevin was a little disappointed in not getting to take a trip to California. :)

At least no one on here has suggested forfeiting the game, as they did on the Cleveland State message board in the wake of Tuesday's crushing loss.

valporun

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 16, 2012, 11:25:43 AM

On what platform?  I looked at espn3 this morning, and didn't see it in the Replay tab, but maybe it hasn't been loaded yet.

It was linked thru the foreign First Row Sports website, not the US one that apparently got blocked by our "favorite" government.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on February 16, 2012, 12:41:06 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 16, 2012, 11:25:43 AM

It was linked thru the foreign First Row Sports website, not the US one that apparently got blocked by our "favorite" government.

Had a feeling.  Just found out about that.  They don't keep archives, so it's too late now ;)

FWalum

Quote from: KL31NY on February 16, 2012, 10:48:59 AMValparaiso big man Kevin Van Wijk will not travel to California in order to rest for final Horizon League games.
That might indicate that things are not as hunky dory as we have been led to believe with Kevin's knee and or back.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

Quote from: FWalum on February 16, 2012, 01:13:32 PM
Quote from: KL31NY on February 16, 2012, 10:48:59 AMValparaiso big man Kevin Van Wijk will not travel to California in order to rest for final Horizon League games.
That might indicate that things are not as hunky dory as we have been led to believe with Kevin's knee and or back.

Jet lag and elevation can be problems on a back and knee during a quick trip like this will be. We'll need Kevin for the final two HL games, not Loyola Marymount in Los Angeles. If this were a home game, then Kevin might have played sparingly.