• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valporun vs. valpotx...track vs. baseball...poster vs. poster...POTW 4 IS HERE!!

Started by Crusader03, February 29, 2012, 08:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasorda Wins the Pennant!  Lasorda Win the Pennant!  POTW #4!!!!!!

valporun
1 (25%)
valpotx
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Crusader03

THIS is the showdown that MANY of us have been waiting for.  These two longtime posters are highly respected around here...they may not be in the first tier (not many are...we are a somewhat select group, I know), but they are definitely in the second tier.  A little bit about our two beloved posters...

valprun is a VU grad and was a legendary runner for the 'Saders.  He spent some time coaching at Valpo (or that is the claim at least) and his dedication to all things Valpo is well-known.  He is opinionated and brash, and the crowds here love him for that.  He has strong insight into the track and cross country programs and also drops a little knowledge on us re: basketball.

valpotx has long been associated with VU baseball.  However, he is best known for coaching the Los Angeles Dodgers from 1977-1996.  He led the Dodgers to two world series wins and several more divisional titles.  The story goes that, as a teenager, valpotx took note of the motto on the side of a can of Carnation milk: "Contented Cows Give Better Milk," and that it was a concept he applied to his philosophy of managing. First as a player, then as a manager, he worked at keeping team morale high, telling jokes, and giving praise for hard work. His approach, to remain positive, and work towards keeping his players content, earned him the respect of players and management throughout baseball, and resulted in a largely successful career. He was known as a great leader, and as one of baseball's great personalities.  He eventually became connected to VU through a series of wild events and now lends his considerable baseball insights to our board!

Who's it gonna be peeps?  The runner or skipper????? YOU be the judge!!!

valpotx

I'll humor this.  How can you leave out my exuberant reaction to Kirk's big HR in game 1 of the 1988 World Series????
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader03

Quote from: valpotx on March 01, 2012, 02:44:42 AM
I'll humor this.  How can you leave out my exuberant reaction to Kirk's big HR in game 1 of the 1988 World Series????

That was one of the most memorable moments in MLB history...I'm kicking myself for not mentioning it.

That said, I don't think you have ANYTHING to worry about in THIS poll bud...:)

setshot

Let's put money where the mouth is. I'll vote for the biggest monetary contributor to VU athletics. Who is it? Posting. What a joke,in fact it's sad,or is it sader? :lol:

Crusader03

Quote from: setshot on March 01, 2012, 11:58:47 AM
Let's put money where the mouth is. I'll vote for the biggest monetary contributor to VU athletics. Who is it? Posting. What a joke,in fact it's sad,or is it sader? :lol:

Not much of this, if any, made sense.

vusupporter

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 01, 2012, 12:34:32 PM

Now you know how the rest of us feel.

valpotx

Well, if I am Tommy Lasorda, I probably would be the biggest booster.  I am getting old, but I think I remember contributing to the ARC's construction and a few times since...
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader03

Quote from: vusupporter on March 01, 2012, 12:40:03 PM

Now you know how the rest of us feel.

Says the guy with 18 posts...glad you speak for "the rest of us"

agibson

I parsed every bit of it without trouble.  I especially liked the sad vs sader quip!

Crusader03

Quote from: agibson on March 01, 2012, 08:24:55 PM

I parsed every bit of it without trouble.  I especially liked the sad vs sader quip!

Wow.  Gibson, I know you like to flame, but aligning yourself with setshot and his gibberish?  Yeesh.

sectionee

This has been a one sided affair.  Obviously more people love America's game of baseball over running. 

Crusader03

Congratulations to valpotx on his thrashing of valporun for the POTW title!  At first blush, it seemed as if this might be a good matchup...but when push came to shove, valpotx pushed AND shoved valprun all over the forum!

I did not want to reveal this earlier, so as to avoid skewing the voting.  But, valpotx is long time Dodger skipper Tommy Lasorda.  He has been a supporter of VU athletics for many years and we are blessed to have his baseball insights on this board.

Congratulations Tommy!