• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

CONGRATULATIONS BUTLER!!!

Started by valpo84, March 26, 2011, 06:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

Horizon League 1 bid Butler and now backtoback Final Fours. BigLeast 11 bids.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo84

VCU/Kansas v Butler. Valpo played both. Homer would be a great studio analyst for that one. The Valpo effect strikes again. We will have played a #1 seed, #1 ranked or a Final Four team how many years in a row?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

milanmiracle

Congrats Butler!!! Simply amazing! I can't say anything more than that.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

StlVUFan

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 27, 2011, 07:50:07 AM

Even more speechless today.  The NC game is guaranteed -- for the second year in a row -- to have a mid-major.

The only shame of it is that it is impossible for VCU and Butler to meet in the championship game.  I literally would lose 50 years of upbringing I'd be so giddy.

However, one step at a time.  No need to be overly greedy.

P.S. I also want VCU to haunt Jay Bilas' nightmares for a whole month ;)

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 27, 2011, 04:01:01 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on March 27, 2011, 07:50:07 AM

Even more speechless today.  The NC game is guaranteed -- for the second year in a row -- to have a mid-major.

The only shame of it is that it is impossible for VCU and Butler to meet in the championship game.  I literally would lose 50 years of upbringing I'd be so giddy.

However, one step at a time.  No need to be overly greedy.

P.S. I also want VCU to haunt Jay Bilas' nightmares for a whole month ;)

Totally agree. A VCU/Butler championship game would have had all the BCS schools plus CBS/TBS wondering what had turned the world upside down. Nobody could claim that the majors deserved better seeding this year and in future years.

An 11, 8, 3 and 2/4 seeds in the Final Four. Have that many lower seeded teams ever made it to the Final Four?

valporun

For the first time since the NCAA started seeding the tournament, going back to 1979, there are no #1 or #2 seeds in the Final Four. We have #11 VCU, #8 Butler, #3 UConn, and #4 Kentucky. What a year!!! Makes me want to know which power conference is going to do the most whining about two mid-majors making the Final Four?

vuweathernerd

they have no room to whine. when the time came, they didn't stand up to the pressure. butler and vcu did.

rlh

Hey, I'm a Purdue guy as most already know, and I'm loving this.  I doubt it will change the perception of the NCAA selection committee or the favoritism to the "power" conferences overall....but it sure is great to see this.  Parity in college basketball....is there any further proof needed?

StlVUFan

:clap: :cheers:

The only thing that ruined my weekend was watching the first half of 5-on-8 Green Bay vs. Baylor.  Breathe on Griner = foul.

But mostly, I'm tickled pink.  Talked to a Jayhawk fan coworker on Friday, and I asked him, "are you ready for heartbreak tonight?"  He laughed nervously.  After Richmond laid an egg against them, I forgot about that conversation.  Next time I see him, I expect the evil eye treatment.

I am disappointed that there's no chance for both mid-majors to make it to the championship game, but then I thought about it and realized the Kentucky and UConn (or at least their fans) have got to be pissed that they are paired off against each other while a couple of puny mid-majors get to play each other to go to the championship game.  That made my day.

What would really make my day is if Jay Bilas gets questioned at least once a day this week about his comments about VCU on Selection Sunday.  That would be more fun than a human should be allowed to have.

valporun

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 27, 2011, 11:17:53 PM

The only thing that ruined my weekend was watching the first half of 5-on-8 Green Bay vs. Baylor.  Breathe on Griner = foul.

But mostly, I'm tickled pink.  Talked to a Jayhawk fan coworker on Friday, and I asked him, "are you ready for heartbreak tonight?"  He laughed nervously.  After Richmond laid an egg against them, I forgot about that conversation.  Next time I see him, I expect the evil eye treatment.

I am disappointed that there's no chance for both mid-majors to make it to the championship game, but then I thought about it and realized the Kentucky and UConn (or at least their fans) have got to be pissed that they are paired off against each other while a couple of puny mid-majors get to play each other to go to the championship game.  That made my day.

What would really make my day is if Jay Bilas gets questioned at least once a day this week about his comments about VCU on Selection Sunday.  That would be more fun than a human should be allowed to have.

Bilas is a lawyer, so he might possibly sue the selection committee for collusion or corrupt practices after this tournament, especially since his Duke Blue Devils lost.

bbtds

The only thing that ruined my weekend was watching the first half of 5-on-8 Green Bay vs. Baylor.  Breathe on Griner = foul.

But mostly, I'm tickled pink.  Talked to a Jayhawk fan coworker on Friday, and I asked him, "are you ready for heartbreak tonight?"  He laughed nervously.  After Richmond laid an egg against them, I forgot about that conversation.  Next time I see him, I expect the evil eye treatment.

I am disappointed that there's no chance for both mid-majors to make it to the championship game, but then I thought about it and realized the Kentucky and UConn (or at least their fans) have got to be pissed that they are paired off against each other while a couple of puny mid-majors get to play each other to go to the championship game.  That made my day.

What would really make my day is if Jay Bilas gets questioned at least once a day this week about his comments about VCU on Selection Sunday.  That would be more fun than a human should be allowed to have.

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/2011/3/27/2076128/dick-vitale-digger-phelps-hubert-davis-jay-bilas-espn-vcu-virginia-commonwealth-rams-final-four-4

This blog includes the video of Vitale, Phelps, Bilas and Hubert Davis trashing the selection of VCU and then the VCU coach, Shaka Smart, saying his team will use the comments as motivation.

Somebody should send this to Bilas next year before the selection show and ask him why he thinks he is an "expert" after such lousy predictions and comments last year.

I think Jay Bilas has failed the "laugh test." Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

bbtds

I think you need to explain that you are talking about women's basketball here as most of the posters don't follow that sport. I wonder how many posters knew what you were talking about.

agibson

Yah, wouldn't have hurt.  But, he's talked about that game, in particular, elsewhere on the board.  And is anyway notable for following the women's game.  And the Baylor men are sitting out the post-season (also discussed on the board), while the women are one of the top teams in the country.  

So, anyway, call it an insider's comment, if you'd like.  All the cool kids got it.  ;)

And, back to the thread, congrats Butler!  Two more games!

StlVUFan

LOL, I guess I thought it was obvious, but apparently not.

By the way, there was not one iota of objectivity in the sentiment I expressed.  I can't stand Mulkey for some reason (she whines like Bobby Lutz whenever they do call a foul on Griner, as if the refs didn't get the memo that her megastar is supposed to be protected).

The truth is Green Bay didn't play as well as they needed to.  Too many unforced turnovers.  Now, Griner absolutely should have had 3 fouls at the half instead of 2 (unless one of them really was based on a Matt Howard-worthy flop as was alleged), but when you go up against a 6-8 woman who is also polished with her shot (agile, coordinated, etc.), you really have to bring your A-game for 40 minutes, and they didn't quite do it.

Actually, it clears my week a bit so I can get something done I need to get done before Saturday.  I've been invited to a watch party in St. Louis on Saturday and I'm planning on being there.

covufan

Congrats to Butler!  Don't under estimate VCU! 

rlh

So are any of the Butler "fans" still saying Stevens should be fired.  I'm afraid to look...... :o

covufan

Quote from: rlh on March 28, 2011, 12:58:16 PM
So are any of the Butler "fans" still saying Stevens should be fired.  I'm afraid to look...... :o

I'm sure if Butler loses to VCU, those "fans" will be back in full force! ;)