• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

I have a feeling that somebody here can find something to complain about no matter what the university does.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on May 09, 2018, 08:28:08 PM
I have a feeling that somebody here can find something to complain about no matter what the university does.

Ha! Solid observation.

wh

Just took a drive through campus.  The entire place looks spectacular. Bright whites, pinks and purples from dozens of flowering trees in full bloom. Flower gardens, planters, decorative shrubs everywhere. Green, lush, freshly cut grass. Beautiful upscale buildings. I could go on and on.  I wish all of you long distance alums could see it. You would be so proud of your school.

talksalot

BTW, that ARC-shaped darker shaded thing is not ROAD, it's a Brick-Paver "Spine Walk" as described on the master plan that runs a long way through the center of campus.  the upper similarly-shaded thing is a re-direction of the current east-end of Chapel Drive that ends in a turnaround at the VUCA.   There are some parking spaces shown on the that road; apparently entirely for Handicapped parking access.

crusader05

Yep this another step in the transformation of Valpo to a "walking" campus that creates natural quads and green spaces for students.  With the new Science Building and the fact that the parking lots in front of the VUCA and Urschel are looking pretty gross it makes sense to pull the trigger on these funds. I would also love to just see more outside seating for students. Benches and little stone ledges would make it look more inviting and increase the amount of students outside. Valpo can look kind of deserted at times with students inside and also, one thing I think we tend to lack is some of the gravitas of what we think of when we think a college question. We definitely have more impressive buildings but green spaces with walkways, established trees and maybe some outdoor seating could go a long way. I mean, it can't cost much to put a bench in. Have some young alums sponsor them and slap their names on them.  I'd also love to see some fire bits or more established outdoor areas around the dorms.

VUGrad1314

Wasn't sure what thread to post this in but maybe this might draw some attention. Could you imagine what we could do with donations increasing 7X.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23500858/donations-loyola-chicago-ramblers-increased-660-percent-final-four-run

VULB#62

And those donations appear to be across the board.  Not just to athletics.  The F4 happened in March and it is just May.

Sermon to Choir:  Investment in college athletics, if done with integrity and a well-thought out and prioritized strategic approach can provide positive returns on that investment in terms of alumni support, increased application pool and national brand recognition that continues to build even after the game changing event.  It is a gamble on many fronts:  right coach?  right ongoing support budget?  right improvements to the right facilities at the right time?  But it could play off in spades. 

M

Or could be a bust  ??? 

VULB#62

That's what gambles are all about (and most investment usually involve some decisions based on faith).  Loyola rolled the dice on the Gentile Arena rebuild and hiring Porter Moser.  Those paid off by getting them into the MVC ahead of Valpo and, ultimately, those two gambles got them to the F4.  But for every Loyola there are probably 10 busts. Just across town there is one example of that struggle.  An hour and a half north on I-94 is another example.  Both of which point to a third factor - having a good AD. Valpo has that already.

crusadermoe

Amen. 

Our AD's track record certainly warrants the investment.  He also has the patience of Job.

VU2014

Loyola is going to be selling alcohol at Gentile Arena again. I wouldn't mind if the ARC created a small 'Beer Garden' section for those who wanted to enjoy an adult beverage or two. I know others disagree but I don't think it would be a bad thing.

https://twitter.com/lava265/status/1034182818350419968

vufan75

At the Loyola-UIC game I went to last season, looked like they had beer and wine for sale in a couple places in the tunnel/corridor just outside the arena. Thought the same thing as 21014 that it would be nice to offer these at the ARC. Only way to get beer or wine now is to pay for the ARC Suite which includes pregame food and half-time desserts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on August 28, 2018, 08:52:26 AM
Loyola is going to be selling alcohol at Gentile Arena again. I wouldn't mind if the ARC created a small 'Beer Garden' section for those who wanted to enjoy an adult beverage or two. I know others disagree but I don't think it would be a bad thing.

They sell beer at Hinkle now, and things honestly haven't changed that much from a fan experience.  If Valpo does decide to sell beer, they should try to get 3 Floyd's.  I would think that would go over really well.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on August 28, 2018, 11:22:08 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on August 28, 2018, 08:52:26 AM

They sell beer at Hinkle now, and things honestly haven't changed that much from a fan experience.  If Valpo does decide to sell beer, they should try to get 3 Floyd's.  I would think that would go over really well.

I'd agree with selling beer and 3 Floyd's, Cheers!!!

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on August 28, 2018, 11:22:08 AM

I would be a big fan of that idea. 3 Floyds has great beer and it's local.

oklahomamick

Would selling beer increase revenue?  Or will licensing and permits eliminate any profit from the sales of alcohol.
CRUSADERS!!!

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteThey sell beer at Hinkle now, and things honestly haven't changed that much from a fan experience.

I've been to a bunch of college venues where they sell alcohol and it doesn't really change the atmosphere much. I think the fear was sending a mixed message to students back in the era of restricting alcohol and alcohol-related marketing on campuses (and in fairness, some states still don't allow it at public universities). I think the other fear was students getting drunk and disorderly at games. The latter hasn't come to pass because most students aren't going to afford/want to pay stadium prices for beer for more than one or two drinks.

Ball State just announced they'll be selling beer and wine and football and basketball games this season -- this is a school that still has a three-hour tailgating limit for home football games established in response to one rowdy homecoming game like 20 years ago, so for them to finally cross over, you know the research backs up this being a revenue generator without much of an increase in liability/problems.

elephtheria47

Especially during basketball games. There's really not tailgating during winter like there is before football games. People are not intoxicated. And, I saw ball state cuts it off with 10 min to go...so people drink beer for an hour and 30 min or so? I know I cheer a little bit louder and harder when I have a beer or two in me :) it's been awhile, and its not 3 Floyd's, but doesn't ironwood  (or figure 8, or both?) already brew a crusader themed beer?

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on August 28, 2018, 12:18:47 PM
Would selling beer increase revenue?  Or will licensing and permits eliminate any profit from the sales of alcohol.

It's not just about revenue (I doubt they'd make a significant amount $ off of alcohol sales). It's about improving and enhancing the fan experience, which is something that we all could agree could stand to be improved.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on August 28, 2018, 12:43:27 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on August 28, 2018, 12:18:47 PM

It's not just about revenue (I doubt they'd make a significant amount $ off of alcohol sales). It's about improving and enhancing the fan experience, which is something that we all could agree could stand to be improved.

I get where Mick is coming from, I would at least want it to cover expenses to consider.  But I also agree that townies want an experience and that would add value.  And possible amp up the noise-o-meter!

VUGrad1314

This needs to be addressed. It has to be next summer's big project. It's going to hurt recruiting if it's not addressed. Hopefully that's what the two buy games on the schedule will go toward.

https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3/status/1034193156152143874

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 29, 2018, 03:45:05 AM
This needs to be addressed. It has to be next summer's big project. It's going to hurt recruiting if it's not addressed. Hopefully that's what the two buy games on the schedule will go toward.

https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3/status/1034193156152143874

Are there any tangible numbers as to what it would take $$?

VUGrad1314

I heard $500K from another poster here

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 29, 2018, 07:25:48 AM
I heard $500K from another poster here

So would it be safe to say . . .

Year 1
$500,000 installation
$100,000 electric bill

Year 2
$105,000 electric bill

Year 3
$108,000 electric bill

etc
etc

I guess what I am getting at is that it's not just an upfront cost for them to consider.  I have no earthly idea what the electric bill would look like but I know it's not $100/month!

VUGrad1314

Maybe so but the electric bill should not really be a concern. There are ways to make that money (buy games tournament credits increased attendance at early season volleyball games etc.) How much of an increase would it be over what they're paying now? That's the only number that matters after installation. I would be shocked if the increase is more than $50-70K