• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

There are also ways to conserve on costs.  The Valpo AC season runs roughly, what?, May though, at most, mid-October.  Even during that period, there would be peaks and valleys in terms of full usage, though there could be short, weird heat spells outside that window.  But today's smart controllers maximize performace -- that would have to be a requirement. 

I would also consider two other utility-related investments for the ARC (including Hilltop). As the second largest flat-roofed building on campus after the Harre Union (based on my view on Google Maps), and oriented squarely north - south, its roof would be ideal for a solar array installation.  The initial investment would be repaid in savings over a limited amount of time.  "Green grants" could probably be found to help in this regard.  The same can be said for replacing all major, big draw incandesent lighting (field lighting and ARC arena lighting, for exmple) with LED technology for greater utility savings.  I think the Hilltop lights are already LED?  As an example:  Lambeau Field recently replaced all of it's field lighting (not inconsequential by any measure) with new LED lights.  The justification?  These new lights will pay for themselves in 2.5 years of use.  Only 2.5 years.

And there is another benefit beyond cost savings -- the wealth of positive publicity that the university would reap in terms of its ecological leadership in the region if not nationally.

vu72

Met with a very high ranking person tonight and had a discussion regarding the Commissioner's comments regarding ARC improvements.  The idea of building the REC center first has been scratched as it would cost in the area of $30-35 million.  That isn't in the cards, for a long time.  So there should be an announcement soon regarding plans to upgrade the ARC including, new seating, air conditioning, new lighting and enhanced concessions.  That's all I know for tonight.

As a side note, had the chance to watch the volleyball team easily beat a Drake team tonight.  A very good crowd (761) and 20 kids in the pep band.  If you have the chance to catch a volleyball match don't pass it up.  It is very entertaining!  First place baby!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Terrific news! Is this announcement the start of a funding drive for these renovations or is the funding already in place? Either way, very encouraging!

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 28, 2018, 09:42:46 PM
Terrific news! Is this announcement the start of a funding drive for these renovations or is the funding already in place? Either way, very encouraging!

That I don't know.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on September 28, 2018, 09:20:45 PM
Met with a very high ranking person tonight and had a discussion regarding the Commissioner's comments regarding ARC improvements.  The idea of building the REC center first has been scratched as it would cost in the area of $30-35 million.  That isn't in the cards, for a long time.  So there should be an announcement soon regarding plans to upgrade the ARC including, new seating, air conditioning, new lighting and enhanced concessions.  That's all I know for tonight.

As a side note, had the chance to watch the volleyball team easily beat a Drake team tonight.  A very good crowd (761) and 20 kids in the pep band.  If you have the chance to catch a volleyball match don't pass it up.  It is very entertaining!  First place baby!

I've always thought along the same logical  lines. Say, what, $5 million ?  That investment now in 2018 dollars vs. saving up $35 million over 10 years and building something with 2028 dollars seems like a better choice.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 29, 2018, 07:53:59 AM

I've always thought along the same logical  lines. Say, what, $5 million ?  That investment now in 2018 dollars vs. saving up $35 million over 10 years and building something with 2028 dollars seems like a better choice.

The question is, where does the $5,000,000 to $10,000,000 for ARC renovations come from?  Can we assume that none of the aforementioned fundraising campaign funds raised to date will be used?  So that is right back to a lead donor . . .

I hope I am wrong, but it would seem that we are in the fledgling stages of shifting our focus from GENERAL STUDENT BODY (rec center) to ATHLETICS and that LaBarbera and friends have a long road ahead of them to raise the necessary funds?  On the surface that is at least good news that a shift of focus is taking place, but doesn't mean it happens before 2028 either!!!!! haha

Maybe Doug Elgin (The Commish) spoke out of turn and was simply putting pressure on the VU board with those comments and now we are "reacting".  Either way, hope that volleyball is permanently moved up to Hilltop Gym and that we find a fix for permanent lower bowl.  That does take away from rec leagues with VU students though by reducing the number of courts available.  What other issues do we have by gaining a permanent lower seating setup?  The lutheran boys tournament?  What else?

FieldGoodie05

Regarding the student rec center, that is sorely needed IMO.  Sad to hear of it's relegation to 10+ years potentially if that is indeed the plan.  Though as we all know, lead gifts stimulate long forgotten projects rapidly so there is always hope there!

Sadly $35,000,0000 sounds like a minimum investment to get what they want out of this.  I still think the priority list for my long since graduated mind is:

1) Dormitory improvement (AC and the like)
2) Student Recreation Center
3) ARC rennovations

Maybe it's prudent to go after lower hanging fruit while you can.  As far as costs go, I can only assume the list goes something like:

1) Student Rec Center $35 million+
2) Dormitory improvement $10 million+
3) ARC renovations $5 to $10 million

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 29, 2018, 09:38:11 AM

Regarding the student rec center, that is sorely needed IMO.  Sad to hear of it's relegation to 10+ years potentially if that is indeed the plan.  Though as we all know, lead gifts stimulate long forgotten projects rapidly so there is always hope there!

Sadly $35,000,0000 sounds like a minimum investment to get what they want out of this.  I still think the priority list for my long since graduated mind is:

1) Dormitory improvement (AC and the like)
2) Student Recreation Center
3) ARC rennovations

Maybe it's prudent to go after lower hanging fruit while you can.  As far as costs go, I can only assume the list goes something like:

1) Student Rec Center $35 million+
2) Dormitory improvement $10 million+
3) ARC renovations $5 to $10 million

Budget $6.5 million for the ARC.  For another $3.5 million ($2mm for the new artificial turf field w/ grandstands and pressbox and $1.5mm for the bubble based on a $1/sq./ft. cost that includes a permanent support facility (including space for air blowers, air locks for access, storage of the bubble etc.), construct on the Porter property a sorely needed soccer stadium that would accomodate a full sized inflateable bubble. Erect the bubble at the close of each soccer season.  Use the bubble for recreation and intramurals as well as off-season varsity teams (baseball, softball, T&F ). Total investment for both the ARC and field/bubble ($10 million) would be  < 1/3 the cost of the "rec center" alone, would provided the same services and sets up the total physical plant for at least an entire decade if not more.

valpo84

Interesting article from Crains Cleveland on University of Akron Athletics and the pressures when the university is facing cost pressures.  Former alum and Commissioner of the MAC, Dr Jon Steinbrecher is quoted.  Subscription based: https://www.crainscleveland.com/sports-business/university-akron-tries-tackle-sports-dilemma?utm_source=akron-morning-roundup&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20181008&utm_content=article7-headline
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

That was a good article, 84.  What I got out of it was that an institution can still do the things it needs to do to remain competitive and to maintain or improve their physical assets.  The keys to that are:
1) precise evaluation of the existing plant in the context of current and furure needs,
2) common sense prioritization of needs,
3) strategic decision making to fulfill those needs and
4)  frugality in spending that achieves what the institution can "live with," i.e., not necessarily buying a Ferrari when a Ford would work just as well.

The pipe dream of a $30+ million rec center is so far out of the picture for Valpo's current (or even future) means.  And, even if clung to, it still would mean that the ARC would  have to be addressed -- in 2028 dollars to boot.  Therefore, I do think the Rec Center idea needs to be shelved and, if a lead donor with that kind of money appears, fine, then build it. But for right now, there are more urgent needs that a university like Valpo needs to address.   Much smaller, but timely and significant investments in the ARC (the arena especially) and in an all-weather recreation and athletic facility that expands and augments current space is needed for all students.    It would be something Valpo's administration can point to with pride, and it allows Valpo, as an institution, to demonstrate to its stake holders (athletes, coaches, students, faculty, alums, local friends, athletic opponents and the MVC) its commitment to athletics and recreation.

crusadermoe

Indeed you just can't deny that athletics will always struggle for priority at the non-P5 schools as it usually is a "loss leader" for the university.   

Unfortunately, this is a tale of "haves" and "have nots" and the massive differential is football and football TV money.  Just few dozen P5 programs even net a profit in NCAA basketball.  I think we've walked through this issue many times.

The Akron issues led me to speculate about SLU because I had been seeing somewhere that they had major financial issues.  Thus "dropping" into the MVC which is roughly the equal of the A10 could please their faculty because it could dramatically decrease travel expense and possibly raise revenue from luring traveling fans from the other MVC schools.   Conference "prestige" is a lot less tangible than it sounds in this world of realism and cold cash.

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on October 08, 2018, 04:29:11 PM
Indeed you just can't deny that athletics will always struggle for priority at the non-P5 schools as it usually is a "loss leader" for the university.   

Unfortunately, this is a tale of "haves" and "have nots" and the massive differential is football and football TV money. Just few dozen P5 programs even net a profit in NCAA basketball.  I think we've walked through this issue many times.

The Akron issues led me to speculate about SLU because I had been seeing somewhere that they had major financial issues.  Thus "dropping" into the MVC which is roughly the equal of the A10 could please their faculty because it could dramatically decrease travel expense and possibly raise revenue from luring traveling fans from the other MVC schools.   Conference "prestige" is a lot less tangible than it sounds in this world of realism and cold cash.

Many D1 programs are bleeding in the red. It's far more common then people think, it's why I find it somewhat laughable when people say that student-athletes should get paid. There would be only be a few dozen of schools that could sustain themselves or there would be widespread layoffs across athletics and they'd have to do away or pair down Title 9 standards for collegiate athletics (which isn't going to happen). Coaches would also be getting a fat pay cut, which might not be a bad thing.

For schools like Valpo it's financially responsible to throw all or most of your finite resources into basketball. It's the only program that can bring returns and raise the schools profile in a way to boost enrollment and get on the map from national standpoint. It's harsh but true.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on October 08, 2018, 05:17:43 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on October 08, 2018, 04:29:11 PM

Unfortunately, this is a tale of "haves" and "have nots" and the massive differential is football and football TV money. Just few dozen P5 programs even net a profit in NCAA basketball.  I think we've walked through this issue many times.

Many D1 programs are bleeding in the red. It's far more common then people think, it's why I find it somewhat laughable when people say that student-athletes should get paid. There would be only be a few dozen of schools that could sustain themselves or there would be widespread layoffs across athletics and they'd have to do away or pair down Title 9 standards for collegiate athletics (which isn't going to happen). Coaches would also be getting a fat pay cut, which might not be a bad thing.

For schools like Valpo it's financially responsible to throw all or most of your finite resources into basketball. It's the only program that can bring returns and raise the schools profile in a way to boost enrollment and get on the map from national standpoint. It's harsh but true.

Most accounting of the revenues and expenses at institutions is such that you essentially just make the revenues equal the costs and call it good, so it's sometimes tough to tell on those programs who is actually making money vs. losing money.

I do think though if schools had to start paying players, there would be a lot of schools taking a hard look at whether or not football is feasible any longer.  Basketball is much easier to justify with only 13 scholarships, but I think once the one and done rule is gone and players don't have to go to college, that should at least delay that from happening.

wh

I wish people would get past the "paid" thing. They are getting paid. At Valpo they're getting paid the equivalent of $50,000/year. Technically, it's called cost avoidance, but it amounts to the same thing. Maybe these people would better understand if the university issued a 50k check to each student athlete, who in turn endorses it and gives it back.

IrishDawg

Quote from: wh on October 08, 2018, 08:28:32 PM
I wish people would get past the "paid" thing. They are getting paid. At Valpo they're getting paid the equivalent of $50,000/year. Technically, it's called cost avoidance, but it amounts to the same thing. Maybe these people would better understand if the university issued a 50k check to each student athlete, who in turn endorses it and gives it back.

Beyond that, most schools (not sure if Valpo is included in this) are giving their players stipends (most range from $2,000 to $5,000) each year.

I have no problem with kids making money off of their likeness as the kids who would be able to do that are probably already getting cash under the table from boosters.  I do think under that model that the vast majority of athletes though won't get much beyond what they're getting now.  When I was in school, I was happy to continue my athletic career, be a part of the team and get tons of free gear and get to travel to places I'd never been before.  But I also don't come from the same circumstances as some of the kids playing major college football and basketball, so I can't judge their views on these things.

vu72

Quote from: IrishDawg on October 09, 2018, 06:43:55 AM
Beyond that, most schools (not sure if Valpo is included in this) are giving their players stipends (most range from $2,000 to $5,000) each year.

I recall this discussion from a while ago and I am quite certain that Valpo does give this stipend to players.

VULB#62

I scraped this retweet off of MLB's Twitter feed. 

[tweet]1046053132990590977[/tweet]

Good to see robotics still going strong, but the reason for posting the tweet is the wide angle picture of the reburbished Hilltop practice facility.  It looked really nice and, as far as I can remember, it is a major upgrade to what was there before.  Better lighting immediately comes to mind, plus a lot of work being done on the floor as well as the walls.  Looks brand new in this photo. Did anyone visit the renovated gym during homecoming and can comment on the make-over?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 09, 2018, 03:59:16 PMDid anyone visit the renovated gym during homecoming and can comment on the make-over?

I did.  There are no bleacher left.  There is a solid wall going up to the ceiling to wall off the softball hitting cages which previously were only separated from the gym by netting (the wall facing the signature).  Great lighting and, of course, air conditioning!

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on October 09, 2018, 05:09:09 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on October 09, 2018, 03:59:16 PMDid anyone visit the renovated gym during homecoming and can comment on the make-over?

I did.  There are no bleacher left.  There is a solid wall going up to the ceiling to wall off the softball hitting cages which previously were only separated from the gym by netting (the wall facing the signature).  Great lighting and, of course, air conditioning!

If there are no bleachers left, I wonder what they will do for the LBAA national tournament. Many of the bigger games before the finals, which are played on the main court, where played before packed crowds in Hilltop. Not having bleachers will certainly change things for that tournament.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Quote from: FWalum on October 10, 2018, 07:51:05 AM

If there are no bleachers left, I wonder what they will do for the LBAA national tournament. Many of the bigger games before the finals, which are played on the main court, where played before packed crowds in Hilltop. Not having bleachers will certainly change things for that tournament.

What was the capacity that was eliminated?  If we are looking at a couple of hundred bench seats, temporary bleachers could be rented to cover that situation.

But wait! Maybe the bare walls are waiting to receive repurposed bleachers (maybe even the chairbacks) from the main ARC floor once the bowl is redone  ;)

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 10, 2018, 09:29:09 AM
Quote from: FWalum on October 10, 2018, 07:51:05 AM

What was the capacity that was eliminated?  If we are looking at a couple of hundred bench seats, temporary bleachers could be rented to cover that situation.

But wait! Maybe the bare walls are waiting to receive repurposed bleachers (maybe even the chairbacks) from the main ARC floor once the bowl is redone  ;)

I'm guessing temp seating can be brought in.  The ARC has two games going at a time so no bleacher seats are available as would be the case in the upstairs gym and now Hilltop.

IrishDawg

Apples and Oranges, but the $5M-$10M range of costs probably isn't too far off of what it would cost to renovate the ARC currently.  Biggest chunk of Butler's project (IMO) is putting AC throughout Hinkle: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2018/10/19/butler-basketball-get-new-practice-facility-hinkle-fieldhouse/1688220002/

vu72

Quote from: IrishDawg on October 19, 2018, 10:06:13 AM
Apples and Oranges, but the $5M-$10M range of costs probably isn't too far off of what it would cost to renovate the ARC currently.  Biggest chunk of Butler's project (IMO) is putting AC throughout Hinkle: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2018/10/19/butler-basketball-get-new-practice-facility-hinkle-fieldhouse/1688220002/

What?  You mean to tell us that even mighty Butler doesn't have air-conditioning in their main arena?   ;)

VU2014