• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 23, 2018, 08:01:52 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 23, 2018, 04:48:47 PM
Comparable to renovating the ARC.

https://twitter.com/KDKA/status/1054547961500311552

Comparable in what regard?

I've been to the Palumbo Center and it's a pretty similar facility, especially from an arena seating set up. A major difference it that Palumbo had more chairbacks. It's been quite a while since I've been there.

vuny98

Quote from: VU2014 on October 23, 2018, 08:22:22 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 23, 2018, 08:01:52 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 23, 2018, 04:48:47 PMComparable to renovating the ARC. https://twitter.com/KDKA/status/1054547961500311552
Comparable in what regard?
I've been to the Palumbo Center and it's a pretty similar facility, especially from an arena seating set up. A major difference it that Palumbo had more chairbacks. It's been quite a while since I've been there.

This image is pretty close to how I have always envisioned the ARC should be renovated on the chairback side (box seats where the track is behind it)

VULB#62

Quote from: vuny98 on October 24, 2018, 10:52:10 AM
This image is pretty close to how I have always envisioned the ARC should be renovated on the chairback side (box seats where the track is behind it)

That looks great and would be a super addition to the ARC (but probably would look like just the first level above the general seating in the illustration.

The Hilltop Gym/ARC is severely over-utilized and internal support facilities are overcrowded and overtaxed.  It was designed for a 1987 era of collegiate sports.  That was over 30 years ago.  Since then, even more things have been crammed into those areas.  Rod Moore told me about three years ago that the ARC training room facilities alone were designed to serve 250 athletes and they do 3X that now. 

With that in mind, the next phase of ARC renovation must include IMO an addition on the north side behind the current chairbacks.  At minimum it should include ground level facilities like maybe new locker rooms and new concessions off both the east and west ends of the addition.  that would allow training room expansion and modernization in its present location on the south side of the arena.  By popping out that addition, it would also provide for a second level where the track is now that could accommodate private boxes/suites or additional retractable seating (needed to retain the current capacity if the lower bowl were to be converted to retractable chairbacks which priobably are wider than bleacher seat spacing on the N, S and E sides -- the Valpoaraizone would just be upgraded bleachers I would assume).

Suites would be permanent, of course, but there would be additonal space behind them for possibly staff offices, a lounge for suite guests, meeting space, or whatever.  If retractable bench seating were installed, instead, the space available when the bleachers were retracted could possibly provide more practice space like is done on the south side.

No way Valpo throws $45 million at this like Duquesne is doing.  WAG guess is that this whole thing as described will be much more than $5 million and as much as maybe $15 million. But it sets up the university athletic program for the next 20 years.   And by phasing this development over two years, no BB games would be lost in the main arena (if there is schedule slippage, the VB games could temporarily move to Hilltop). For example:

Phase 1 -- year 1
Construct 2 story weather tight addition adjacent to north exterior wall of ARC independent of the existing interior (start anytime and complete interior of first level leaving second level for phase 2))
Replace arena seating around Homer Drew Court with retractable chairbacks and replace existing retractable bleachers on the south side second level with new. (Done concurrently with addition construction; install between the end of BB season and the beginning of next Volleyball season)

Phase 2 -- year 2
Move some locker rooms to new addition (start as soon as first level construction is completed)
Open upper north wall to new addition (start at end of next BB season)
Build out second level interior spaces and tie into existing arena and complete all door ways and exits to connect and integrate new addition with old facility (complete by beginning of next Volleyball season

Phase 3 -- year 2 plus
Renovate the old south side ground floor space to expand training room and expand remaning locker rooms.

VULB#62

All well and good. But having watched my alma mater for over 50 years, I have yet to see a future vision promoted in terms of detailed conceptual drawings of what might be. There appears to be no one on this planet, including the athletic department and the university administration, who has the slightest idea of what the ARC could look like in 2023. That is because it seems no one in positions of responsibility has an imagination that can be translated to conceptual images that can be shared with alumni and friends. Or no one is willing to pay someone who does to produce them. These are not etched-in-stone commitments; these are ideas set on paper that can be used to stimulate thought, generate support and, more importantly, encourage financial donations toward that image.

The key to excitement is communicating what could be. Excitement is not generated by stating that we need money to do something that we don't quite have an idea of exactly what we want to do.

NativeCheesehead

A typically well written article by Paul and always appreciate ML's comments, but we all know if he had any say in these matters they would have been resolved long ago. This is like interviewing me on my next family vacation. I can tell you what I think and what I'd like to do, but everyone knows it's my wife's decision.

valpopal

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on October 30, 2018, 07:24:02 AM
A typically well written article by Paul and always appreciate ML's comments, but we all know if he had any say in these matters they would have been resolved long ago. This is like interviewing me on my next family vacation. I can tell you what I think and what I'd like to do, but everyone knows it's my wife's decision.

ML's comments complement and reflect recent conversations that have taken place among those in upper administration.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 29, 2018, 09:59:30 PM
All well and good. But having watched my alma mater for over 50 years, I have yet to see a future vision promoted in terms of detailed conceptual drawings of what might be. There appears to be no one on this planet, including the athletic department and the university administration, who has the slightest idea of what the ARC could look like in 2023. That is because it seems no one in positions of responsibility has an imagination that can be translated to conceptual images that can be shared with alumni and friends. Or no one is willing to pay someone who does to produce them. These are not etched-in-stone commitments; these are ideas set on paper that can be used to stimulate thought, generate support and, more importantly, encourage financial donations toward that image.

The key to excitement is communicating what could be. Excitement is not generated by stating that we need money to do something that we don't quite have an idea of exactly what we want to do.

If laporte ave apostle were still around and maintaining the "best posts" list, this post would go to the top.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on October 30, 2018, 08:30:15 AM
COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Valparaiso considering ARC renovations in wake of move to Valley
Paul Oren Times Correspondent 
9 hrs ago

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/college-basketball-valparaiso-considering-arc-renovations-in-wake-of-move/article_8b66d396-7d78-5302-9728-c02a5a03ca33.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1057263015614132224

Interesting, but doesn't really tell me much about the ARC renovation/replacement.  I'm probably missing something, but I'm not sure what a full paragraph comparing various attendance numbers between Valpo, MVC schools and Horizon League schools tells me about facilities.  In case nobody noticed, we're in the MVC, not the Horizon. 

Expressing that Valpo's facilities are lacking compared to other MVC schools is hardly a news flash.  As #62 so clearly explained, general discussions of things that might happen at some unspecified point in the future hardly generate excitement.  Hard to get people excited and in the giving mood until there is more than just talk.

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on October 30, 2018, 07:24:02 AM
A typically well written article by Paul and always appreciate ML's comments, but we all know if he had any say in these matters they would have been resolved long ago. This is like interviewing me on my next dream family vacation. I can tell you what I think and what I'd like to do, but everyone knows it's my wife's decision.

Good analogy, except one key difference. ML isn't talking about his "next" vacation. He's talking about his "dream" vacation. "I would love to take a trip around the world. Q. Where are you going to go? A. Don't know yet. When are you planning on going? A. Don't know yet. Q. How much does a trip around the world cost?  A. Depends on where you go and how much time you spend. Q. How much do you have to spend?  A. None. Q. Well, how are you going to pay for it? A. Don't know yet. Q. So, how serious are you about this. A. Very serious. We've worked very hard over many years and it's high time we do something nice for ourselves. Q. Did you ever think of playing the lottery. A. Great idea!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 30, 2018, 01:00:47 PM
COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Valparaiso considering ARC renovations in wake of move to Valley
9 hrs ago

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/college-basketball-valparaiso-considering-arc-renovations-in-wake-of-move/article_8b66d396-7d78-5302-9728-c02a5a03ca33.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Interesting, but doesn't really tell me much about the ARC renovation/replacement.  I'm probably missing something, but I'm not sure what a full paragraph comparing various attendance numbers between Valpo, MVC schools and Horizon League schools tells me about facilities.  In case nobody noticed, we're in the MVC, not the Horizon. 

Expressing that Valpo's facilities are lacking compared to other MVC schools is hardly a news flash.  As #62 so clearly explained, general discussions of things that might happen at some unspecified point in the future hardly generate excitement.  Hard to get people excited and in the giving mood until there is more than just talk.

Could be Valpo using media to get out word of an opportunity for donors to step forward in the business community.  Not all news stories have the same intentions.

Also might we expect to see the marketing (brand) company we recently contracted with involved in the "naming" options out there?  Not saying we generate much here but every little bit helps.

Pgmado

9 hrs ago

LaBarbera made a comment about how Valpo's facilities were behind in the Horizon League, but because Valpo drew so many more fans than the rest of the conference, those facility issues weren't quite an issue. That was the inference. For all the warts the ARC has, the crowds were typically larger than your average Horizon League opponent. Now in the Valley, Valparaiso had the second-lowest average attendance last year (behind Final Four Loyola). I included the attendance numbers because I wanted to give some background to LaBarbera's claim about how well Valpo drew as compared to the rest of the Horizon League and allow the fans to ascertain that now Valpo's attendance figures are abysmal compared to the rest of the Valley. Would a new/renovated facility generate interest, increase attendance? That seems to be the new line of thinking from the school. Whereas Valpo was behind in facilities as compared to Horizon League programs, the school is getting lapped compared to Valley schools. That was the reason for the comparison.

VULB#62

And I will double down and expand upon my previous post. 

There is absolutely no doubt that Valpo will eventually get to the point where the ARC will be renovated and possibly expanded.  EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT. In fact everybody knew that years ago. Here is my beef.  Before you start planning your Dream Vacation (as WH so accurately depicted), the first thing you do is do some basic, ballpark research to see what might be feasible.  And the way you do it in this case is to invest maybe $100K in an architectural study of the ARC. 

Typically, the first stage is to characterize the "as-is" condition.  This assessment identifies the  strengths, weaknesses and challenges represented by the current facility as it exists today. This first stage also characterizes the as-is environment in which this facility exists.

The second stage is to characterize the "to-be" condition.  This involves identifying needs (of the ARC as well as its place within the overall campus master plan) going into the future; say, 10 years out.

The third stage of the study is to determine the gap between the "as-is" and the "to-be" and assign approximate costs.

The final stage is to document conclusions and recommended options.   It is done in two parts:  (1) A written report articulating the architectural consultant's conclusions and recommended options supported by (2) conceptual renderings of the various options available to the university.  This is the study's bottom line and what the university requires in order to knowledgeably plan their next moves -- i.e.,  implement all, part or nothing.

When you are considering a multimillion dollar effort (and still don't know how many multi-million), the first thing you do is commision a study such as this.  It is a no-brainer.  Use the Loyola share to fund all or part of it, but do it now.  The longer the university sits on this first step the behinder it gets in moving forward and whipping up excitement for the project.

This is my story and I am sticking to it.  8-)

tiny707

ML needs to contact Richard Landry in DC.

EddieCabot

Quote from: Pgmado on October 30, 2018, 01:33:07 PM

LaBarbera made a comment about how Valpo's facilities were behind in the Horizon League, but because Valpo drew so many more fans than the rest of the conference, those facility issues weren't quite an issue. That was the inference. For all the warts the ARC has, the crowds were typically larger than your average Horizon League opponent. Now in the Valley, Valparaiso had the second-lowest average attendance last year (behind Final Four Loyola). I included the attendance numbers because I wanted to give some background to LaBarbera's claim about how well Valpo drew as compared to the rest of the Horizon League and allow the fans to ascertain that now Valpo's attendance figures are abysmal compared to the rest of the Valley. Would a new/renovated facility generate interest, increase attendance? That seems to be the new line of thinking from the school. Whereas Valpo was behind in facilities as compared to Horizon League programs, the school is getting lapped compared to Valley schools. That was the reason for the comparison.

Thanks for the clarification. 

VULB#62

Quote from: tiny707 on October 30, 2018, 03:34:44 PM
ML needs to contact Richard Landry in DC.

The megamansion architect?  Snark Snark  :lol:

But there are firms that specialize in sports arenas and they should be called. Best, call around the mid major world to find the best guys who know mid major needs.

BTW, Few if any proposed studies of this type are unbounded. Valpo can set boundaries so that  a                      megamansion is out of scope and renovations are projected within Valpo's ability to fund.

bigmosmithfan1

FWIW, the building was designed when it was built so that the north wall can be removed to accommodate an addition without having to take down the roof line (unless VU wants to do that). That's a fact and is easily verifiable looking through documents/news coverage from the first few years after the ARC opened. Whether that remains a viable option or not after 35 years of use is another question.

Great article by Paul as always, and glad to see the university at least talking about this, and recognizing the urgency.

VULB#62

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on October 31, 2018, 05:05:53 PM
FWIW, the building was designed when it was built so that the north wall can be removed to accommodate an addition without having to take down the roof line (unless VU wants to do that). That's a fact and is easily verifiable looking through documents/news coverage from the first few years after the ARC opened. Whether that remains a viable option or not after 35 years of use is another question.

Great article by Paul as always, and glad to see the university at least talking about this, and recognizing the urgency.

Absolutely. You can see it as you look up as you walk in. The roof is supported by the the big girder between the two large pillars. And in the 30 year master plan you can see on the campus map an addition to the north.

It is already set up to suport  the next expansion. That is why the logical move is to add on to the north side to reduce the crowding in the existing facility.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteIt is already set up to suport  the next expansion. That is why the logical move is to add on to the north side to reduce the crowding in the existing facility.

Yep. I've always thought the perfect-world scenario for a renovation was as follows:

-Install chairbacks 360 degrees around the court, including the east end
-Knock out north wall. Build a new mezzanine with suites on top to make up for lost capacity with conversion to chairbacks from bleachers/wider aisles/etc. (and ideally, add 800 - 1,000 to the capacity, so you are building for future growth, too). Add new corporate seating option revenue stream.
-Build larger entrance lobby behind new mezzanine, with additional restrooms and new concessions (eliminating the need for the slap-dash concession stand behind the east basket). Ticket office could be built and relocated here, freeing up space by the Union St. entrance for concessions or other amenities.
-Build two extra practice courts/new lockerrooms underneath new lobby (i.e. fans would enter the arena at track level). This would limit availability conflicts and would enable more rec space for students during offseason).
-Cut entryways into wall behind original mezzanine, allowing for fans to access via tunnels, allowing re-angling of those seats so that they can be pulled out all the way across the track, improving sightlines and egress.

Boom. You have a 21st-Century facility that's now worthy of the Valley and the next 35 years.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 24, 2018, 01:07:43 PM

With that in mind, the next phase of ARC renovation must include IMO an addition on the north side behind the current chairbacks.  At minimum it should include ground level facilities like maybe new locker rooms and new concessions off both the east and west ends of the addition.  that would allow training room expansion and modernization in its present location on the south side of the arena.  By popping out that addition, it would also provide for a second level where the track is now that could accommodate private boxes/suites or additional retractable seating (needed to retain the current capacity if the lower bowl were to be converted to retractable chairbacks which priobably are wider than bleacher seat spacing on the N, S and E sides -- the Valpoaraizone would just be upgraded bleachers I would assume).

Suites would be permanent, of course, but there would be additonal space behind them for possibly staff offices, a lounge for suite guests, meeting space, or whatever.  If retractable bench seating were installed, instead, the space available when the bleachers were retracted could possibly provide more practice space like is done on the south side.

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on November 01, 2018, 12:53:22 PM
QuoteIt is already set up to suport  the next expansion. That is why the logical move is to add on to the north side to reduce the crowding in the existing facility.

Yep. I've always thought the perfect-world scenario for a renovation was as follows:

-Install chairbacks 360 degrees around the court, including the east end
-Knock out north wall. Build a new mezzanine with suites on top to make up for lost capacity with conversion to chairbacks from bleachers/wider aisles/etc. (and ideally, add 800 - 1,000 to the capacity, so you are building for future growth, too). Add new corporate seating option revenue stream.
-Build larger entrance lobby behind new mezzanine, with additional restrooms and new concessions (eliminating the need for the slap-dash concession stand behind the east basket). Ticket office could be built and relocated here, freeing up space by the Union St. entrance for concessions or other amenities.
-Build two extra practice courts/new lockerrooms underneath new lobby (i.e. fans would enter the arena at track level). This would limit availability conflicts and would enable more rec space for students during offseason).
-Cut entryways into wall behind original mezzanine, allowing for fans to access via tunnels, allowing re-angling of those seats so that they can be pulled out all the way across the track, improving sightlines and egress.

Boom. You have a 21st-Century facility that's now worthy of the Valley and the next 35 years.

We are in accord on this.  Between these two sets of ideas lies a newly rennovated and expanded ARC.  And I also like the idea of selling naming rights to the arena itself -- something like Thrivent Arena at the ARC.  If/when a building project is initiated, that would be a great time to go after corporations for something like that.

valpospartan

As disappointed as i am about losing to UIndy, I am more disappointed that for yet another year the ARC sound system absolutely stinks.  I sure would love to be able to hear every word that John Bowker says, but alas that will not happen this year, it seems.

VULB#62

PA system over AC!  Yes!

UNIFTW

FWIW UNI released more renderings of our new practice facility. I expect construction to be announced soon ish and start in the spring

Yet to be seen is the renderings of the remodel to the McLeod Center with how it will be connected

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk