• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishDawg

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 24, 2018, 12:03:16 AM
Back when the ARC was full (HL championship games and NIT games) it made for a great environment with a home court advantage that could not be duplicated in a new, large, open stadium

As a visiting fan I completely agree. The arena itself I was never impressed with, but the atmosphere for the Butler-Valpo games I knew going in was going to be a lot of fun.

I do think some cosmetic updates might help, but the biggest area where money will pay off is in the player's experience  (locker room, practice facility, medical and training rooms).

VULB#62

I happened to see the aerial shot of Brown Field under the lights and the back of the ARC that accompanied the article announcing the hiring of a new Compliance Officer.   One of the things that jumped out at me was the west side of the arena portion of the ARC facing the University Park Ave parking lot.  It is a single story add-on that looks to be about 50' X 100'.  I hadn't noticed it before. Click on the attachment for a larger perspective.

If/when the ARC is renovated, in addition to expanding the footprint north behind what is now the chairback wall to include two stories, the west add-on should also have a second story added.  The possibilities might be converting the lower level to additional team locker space and adding offices or other support areas above.  Or the second level could contribute space for additional retractable bleachers that would allow the west baseline seating area to be made into retractable chairbacks without losing seating capacity and completing at least a horseshoe bowl with chair backs.

Just one more thought...........

vu72

While most on the board focus exclusively on basketball, remember that Valpo supports a bunch of sports and needs to properly fund those as well.  Mark LaBarbera's "AD insite" for this month mentions that Brown Field will be getting new and upgraded turf.  Based on about five minutes or research, my guess is that this will be a $500,000 expenditure.  He also mentioned that a second nutrition center is being added to the ARC via a cash donation and that video feed to the scoreboard, for replays had also been added.  Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on January 20, 2019, 12:10:31 PMWhile most on the board focus exclusively on basketball, remember that Valpo supports a bunch of sports and needs to properly fund those as well.  Mark LaBarbera's "AD insite" for this month mentions that Brown Field will be getting new and upgraded turf.  Based on about five minutes or research, my guess is that this will be a $500,000 expenditure.  He also mentioned that a second nutrition center is being added to the ARC via a cash donation and that video feed to the scoreboard, for replays had also been added.  Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes.

They are REALLY busting their humps since the MVC move. This is great to see. Let us as fans continue to applaud encourage  and  support these changes. Let us not lament what we don't have yet but embrace what is being done. While the arena insults sting I'll endure them and happily take the Ws from opposing  fans more concerned with our arena than with supporting their team. I take great comfort that positive changes are coming and great efforts are being made. I can't ask for more so I'll just take my seat in the bleachers and cheer as hard and loud as I can for as long as I can. Go Valpo! Keep up the great work both on and off the court!

valpospartan

Quote from: vu72 on January 20, 2019, 12:10:31 PM
While most on the board focus exclusively on basketball, remember that Valpo supports a bunch of sports and needs to properly fund those as well.  Mark LaBarbera's "AD insite" for this month mentions that Brown Field will be getting new and upgraded turf.  Based on about five minutes or research, my guess is that this will be a $500,000 expenditure.  He also mentioned that a second nutrition center is being added to the ARC via a cash donation and that video feed to the scoreboard, for replays had also been added.  Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes.

And yet we still have a sound system, in the ARC, which is so bad that many fans cannot understand much of what the announcer is saying.  And we have a video board that shows the players that are on the court, but there is such a delay in updating it that it is usually incorrect.  As an example, in the last game, one player's points jumped by 4, because his last 2 baskets weren't updated on time. I've seen instances where  players came in, played and went out and their name never appeared on the score board.  This can't be rocket science.

VUGrad1314

I've been as vociferous an advocate for  facility upgrades as you're ever going to find but the more time I spend at games and the more I think about it, Valpo realistically can't have more than a few million dollars per year in revenue for facility upgrades across the department. So they have to fulfill as many wants\needs as they can with that money. They also have to consider the amount of time something will take. If and when there is a new ARC renovation we may not be able to play that season at home jeopardizing ticket sales. I'm sure the video board issue can be resolved by training someone or hiring that out but with all due respect who's constantly checking that instead of following the action on the floor? I know I'm not.

Yes, the PA system needs attention but we're acting like we don't have football soccer baseball tennis etc. with their own needs and we can't send the message that we don't care about their needs because they aren't basketball. We're a small private school in a small city with only one revenue sport and a reason we don't have money is because of attendance. Marketing is improving greatly we had an incredible giveaway the weather wasn't that bad the team is tied for first and we still couldn't fill 3\4 of the ARC. At a certain point it's not really on the department. The locals don't care. I didn't see anything wrong with the gameday experience Saturday that wouldn't require months of labor and millions of dollars to fix. At a certain point you either like basketball and want to be there or you don't and will make excuses not to go. It's easy to find coverage of Valpo basketball if you want it  It's even improving in the papers. At a certain point your non-attendance is on you.

As for other revenue streams we could opt not to play in top MTEs but then our schedule would suck and we'd all complain. We could take all buy games but then our record would suck and we'd all complain and people would think we suck and wouldn't go to games. Our best path forward is a concerted campaign to raise $100million or so for athletics to cover:

ARC Renovations
Renovations for other sports
The student rec Center
Solutions to the parking issue
A new practice facility
A better pool

Hopefully that's the next campaign after the endowment drive because it feels like most everything else has been nicely updated. It might finally be athletics' turn to receive the attention it deserves. Though I wouldn't be surprised if improvements to the engineering business and nursing buildings came first.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 20, 2019, 06:34:45 PMA new practice facility

A well written and thought out response.  Having said that, a new practice facility isn't needed.  We have a very good one now.  If you haven't been to Hilltop since the dedication of the Kempf floor, stop by.  It is first class.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

A few things:

1. Sell beer at games and get into the next millennium. They sell it at Loyola and Drake games - why not Valpo? Or do we need to get approval from Mike Pence and MADD? The ARC will not turn into Valpo's largest saloon.

2. The UNI fans have a good point about the ARC - it needs modernization and Valpo needs to step up now. The money is there, the problem is that the Valpo administration continues to run in a total risk free environment, and they consistently remain behind the times, not just in athletics but in other venues. This is going to bite Valpo in the long run if this big elephant in the room is not resolved. I also cannot believe that Valpo is strapped for cash.

justducky

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 21, 2019, 10:36:27 AM2. The UNI fans have a good point about the ARC - it needs modernization and Valpo needs to step up now. The money is there, the problem is that the Valpo administration continues to run in a total risk free environment,

I get their conservative approach to debt but I am enough of a student of cycles to believe that the threat of deflation is now low and the risk for future inflation is extreme. Given the risk-rewards and the still low interest rates it now looks like perfect timing for modest to slightly aggressive borrowings. In my limited roles in local government I have helped push the "fix it now" agenda as far as our bonding agent would allow.

vu72

Both usc and ducky need to take a look at the Forever Valpo thread under General VU Discussion.  Apparently Valpo IS strapped for cash. And it will continue to be a dog fight for high quality students going forward.

oklahomamick

I would like to keep everything as is just remodel and update.  Just needs a face lift but keep the character.  Obviously add parking and beer.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

Ok  OK,  I'm with you on that thought.

oklahomamick

It's historic.  Possibly put it on the National historic list and get federal money.....💰😉
CRUSADERS!!!

bigmosmithfan1

The UNI guy criticizing the ARC was obnoxious but nothing he said was inaccurate. (And we shouldn't let a good start on the court this MVC season obscure the urgency of this issue). The ARC is no longer a Division I-caliber facility and until VU gets off its laurels and remedies that -- or at least shows the slightest initiative toward fixing it--all of the snide comments about the facility that come our way from fans and media around the Valley will be well deserved.

Don't tell me half the mezzanine was empty Saturday as an excuse to do nothing. Sitting in the mezzanine for anyone over the age of 12 is a thoroughly unpleasant, 1970's-era experience (no legroom, stumbling over everyone else in the row to get to the restrooms/concessions, lousy sightlines -- especially the rows closest to the court where you have people walking in front of you the whole game). I wouldn't want to pay money to sit up there, either.

VU2014

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 21, 2019, 07:31:48 PM
The UNI guy criticizing the ARC was obnoxious but nothing he said was inaccurate. (And we shouldn't let a good start on the court this MVC season obscure the urgency of this issue). The ARC is no longer a Division I-caliber facility and until VU gets off its laurels and remedies that -- or at least shows the slightest initiative toward fixing it--all of the snide comments about the facility that come our way from fans and media around the Valley will be well deserved.

Don't tell me half the mezzanine was empty Saturday as an excuse to do nothing. Sitting in the mezzanine for anyone over the age of 12 is a thoroughly unpleasant, 1970's-era experience (no legroom, stumbling over everyone else in the row to get to the restrooms/concessions, lousy sightlines -- especially the rows closest to the court where you have people walking in front of you the whole game). I wouldn't want to pay money to sit up there, either.

My beef with UNI guy's comments were more about the suggestion we weren't a qualified member of the conference. The ARC needs a serious overhaul. Lot's needs to be fixed from, layout of things like concessions, seating, needs more chairbacks, sound system, interior design and decor of the entrance way, air conditioning, parking, and I know many would like to see beer being sold. There is a lot that needs to be fixed and it won't be cheap.

JD24

Quote from: valpospartan on January 20, 2019, 04:42:00 PMAnd we have a video board that shows the players that are on the court, but there is such a delay in updating it that it is usually incorrect.  As an example, in the last game, one player's points jumped by 4, because his last 2 baskets weren't updated on time. I've seen instances where  players came in, played and went out and their name never appeared on the score board.  This can't be rocket science.
Likely less a board issue and more a board operator issue.

VALPO LI

Tons of studies have been done for a new convention center in northwest Indiana.  I believe it is focused in Lake county now.  Let's bring it to Porter County!  What if Valpo sells a portion of the northwest hospital lot and has it developed as a new convention center/arena which houses the new home to the Crusaders.  Valpo builds a new parking garage behind brown field next to LeBien Hall and leases it out to the convention center/arena for their events.  Valpo now has a new arena that it leases close to dorms, sells beer to our thirsty fans (because it is not on campus) and we no longer have to discuss upgrades to the Arc.  The University saves $$$ on rehabbing the arc for basketball and can focus on other projects.
If the hospital parcel does not work perhaps behind Trail in Liquors lot if they still own it or east gate fields.
Shine on Vu

valpospartan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 20, 2019, 06:34:45 PM
I've been as vociferous an advocate for  facility upgrades as you're ever going to find but the more time I spend at games and the more I think about it, Valpo realistically can't have more than a few million dollars per year in revenue for facility upgrades across the department. So they have to fulfill as many wants\needs as they can with that money. They also have to consider the amount of time something will take. If and when there is a new ARC renovation we may not be able to play that season at home jeopardizing ticket sales. I'm sure the video board issue can be resolved by training someone or hiring that out but with all due respect who's constantly checking that instead of following the action on the floor? I know I'm not.

Yes, the PA system needs attention but we're acting like we don't have football soccer baseball tennis etc. with their own needs and we can't send the message that we don't care about their needs because they aren't basketball. We're a small private school in a small city with only one revenue sport and a reason we don't have money is because of attendance. Marketing is improving greatly we had an incredible giveaway the weather wasn't that bad the team is tied for first and we still couldn't fill 3\4 of the ARC. At a certain point it's not really on the department. The locals don't care. I didn't see anything wrong with the gameday experience Saturday that wouldn't require months of labor and millions of dollars to fix. At a certain point you either like basketball and want to be there or you don't and will make excuses not to go. It's easy to find coverage of Valpo basketball if you want it  It's even improving in the papers. At a certain point your non-attendance is on you.

As for other revenue streams we could opt not to play in top MTEs but then our schedule would suck and we'd all complain. We could take all buy games but then our record would suck and we'd all complain and people would think we suck and wouldn't go to games. Our best path forward is a concerted campaign to raise $100million or so for athletics to cover:

ARC Renovations
Renovations for other sports
The student rec Center
Solutions to the parking issue
A new practice facility
A better pool

Hopefully that's the next campaign after the endowment drive because it feels like most everything else has been nicely updated. It might finally be athletics' turn to receive the attention it deserves. Though I wouldn't be surprised if improvements to the engineering business and nursing buildings came first.

I'm sorry, but my wife and I, who aren't VU grads, have been supporting the Basketball team for over 30 years, and think that it would be nice if the total experience were available to us.  How many forms of entertainment do you know of where you pay admission, only to find that you don't get to see , or hear, or see everything? We just want to hear everything said by John Bowker, because something just might just be pertinent, interesting or educational.

crusader05

There is no way a new convention center is going in somewhere so far away from a major expressway and a large bunch of hotels. The hotels in Valpo can barely handle a homecoming weekend or the Lutheran Basketball Tournament, they will not be able to accommodate the large amount of people this will need to consistently bring in. I have heard lots of plans about a convention center but I have gotten the vibe that the interest is much more about business conferences vs sporting events. Also, there's no way it's leaving Lake County if it gets built.

oklahomamick

I wouldn't want our program to play in a convention hall anyways.  Our program should play on campus in a updated technological but historic intimate/small gym. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpo89

Quote from: crusader05 on January 22, 2019, 07:08:02 AM
There is no way a new convention center is going in somewhere so far away from a major expressway and a large bunch of hotels. The hotels in Valpo can barely handle a homecoming weekend or the Lutheran Basketball Tournament, they will not be able to accommodate the large amount of people this will need to consistently bring in. I have heard lots of plans about a convention center but I have gotten the vibe that the interest is much more about business conferences vs sporting events. Also, there's no way it's leaving Lake County if it gets built.
I'm pretty sure the Dean White Co. (Whiteco) has huge plans for the old Twin Towers/Holiday Star property that probably includes a convention center.

I'd love to see a Loyola-like facility built on the hospital property.

As for selling beer at games, wouldn't that require a liquor license? Those aren't cheap, or necessarily readily available.

usc4valpo

89 - a liquor license is peanuts compared to the big picture. Cmon!

Renovating the ARC must be a high priority if Valpo really wants to be a player in the MVC. The UNI fans have a point.

I just can't believe Valpo is this strapped for cash and so resistant to risk taking.

crusader05

My guess it's less a liqueur license and more having to revamp the the concession stands and start paying people who can sell the booze vs just students. It's probably possible but my guess is they see no need to move forward with that while also pursuing the 500,000.00 upgrade.

Also, Valpo has taken risks. Multiple buildings have been built on bonds including a dorm, 2 academic buildings and the sorority houses. This is already a less conservative way of building vs the Harre years. But most universities, outside of large donations,don't have much extra cash to build with and there are also dorm renovations that cost 1-2 million that they would like to accomplish and the need for more parking. Most of the Universities economic strength is tied up in endowments and assets and it's yearly budget it completely at the whim of enrollment with not enough of the annual funding being able to be off the books through endowment funding.

vuny98

This could be done by just replacing the seating fairly easily... all chairbacks (even the bleachers), make all foot traffic come from the track. Would vastly improve look, feel, experience at the arc. And would be fairly inexpensive and quick to do. May even reduce capacity since all would be chairbacks.

Concessions/bathrooms would need to be addressed, but they could make the upper deck bleachers permanent and always build out under there as an option, but that's where the costs could start building up... another option would to leave the East side open as it is today and just make lower half a horseshoe instead of a bowl.