• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Wait, no luxury suites? 

I think everyone is on board that we aren't asking for something over the top or expensive.  Only some updates, more logistical, beer and sound system.  We don't ask for much.   
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

I'm good with just beer.

I kid.....sort of.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 22, 2019, 09:06:07 AMI just can't believe Valpo is this strapped for cash and so resistant to risk taking.

I posted this earlier as a reply to another one of your posts when you said that Valpo isn't strapped for cash.  Read it this time.

take a look at the Forever Valpo thread under General VU Discussion.  Apparently Valpo IS strapped for cash. And it will continue to be a dog fight for high quality students going forward.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 22, 2019, 08:37:07 AM
Quote from: crusader05 on January 22, 2019, 07:08:02 AM
There is no way a new convention center is going in somewhere so far away from a major expressway and a large bunch of hotels. The hotels in Valpo can barely handle a homecoming weekend or the Lutheran Basketball Tournament, they will not be able to accommodate the large amount of people this will need to consistently bring in. I have heard lots of plans about a convention center but I have gotten the vibe that the interest is much more about business conferences vs sporting events. Also, there's no way it's leaving Lake County if it gets built.
I'm pretty sure the Dean White Co. (Whiteco) has huge plans for the old Twin Towers/Holiday Star property that probably includes a convention center.

I'd love to see a Loyola-like facility built on the hospital property.

As for selling beer at games, wouldn't that require a liquor license? Those aren't cheap, or necessarily readily available.

This is just speculation and interpretation on my part. 

So I'm taking a look at the MVC By-Laws, and wondering hypothetically, if a new arena was built at the Twin Towers site, whether Valpo could play a part of their MVC home schedule at said venue.

The By-Laws are here:

http://www.mvc.org/manual/bylaws.pdf

A quick glance of Section 8.1 of the By-Laws, which speaks to "Competition Sites", says to me that the answer is NO. 

"Home ground" is defined as "grounds on which one (1) of the competitors customarily and regularly plays its home games." 

As an aside, it would be intriguing to know how "immediate control" is defined and what that encompasses by the MVC in this analysis should Valpo ever want to play at an off campus venue (see the Aces).  However, it would seem, at least to me, that intermittent or selected MVC contests at a Twin Towers site wouldn't qualify as a "home ground."   So we're stuck with the ARC. Wonderful.

NativeCheesehead

Recent student apathy aside, it would be a huge mistake to play in any arena the students can't easily walk to.

VALPO LI

Fair point on the hotels and accessibility to major Interstates.  Reading further up on the studies, that is a major requirement for a new convention center/arena in Northwest Indiana.  My point perhaps "hidden" is if a new facility was built and paid for by non Valpo $$$ the University would not need to spend so much on upgrades all at once.  We could save $$$ on major renovations right now, upgrade what is necessary and save for the future while still satisfying our fans by playing in an upgraded arena.
So let's say a new convention center/arena was built 17 miles down the road in Merrillville Lake County and we were granted 4 "home" games there.  Just to make a point 3 MVC and 1 big non conference game.  (for now let's say Purdue) would that work for Valpo fans?  Would the topic of renovating/upgrading the arc quiet down?  Valpo is trying to reach out to the Lake County fan base, they held an open practice in Lake County this year. 
Shine on Vu

oklahomamick

Yes, but the gym/convention center would not be Valpo's.  We would only be renter.  Can't paint the walls, can't hang up historic banners, etc.  Look at the schools who play in convention centers or off campus....

This is not the HL.
CRUSADERS!!!

VALPO LI

Missed that last one Joe....  time to change the by laws.....
Shine on Vu

crusader05

I know that one of Heckler's hopes was that he could work with the town for funding for the rec center and the new pool but then the town approved the referendum to rebuild the high school and that included money for a ridiculous state of the art pool.

valpo64

While larger improvements such as seating,  concession stands, restrooms are understandably more ambitious projects, I still cannot understand why the scoreboards are not in sync....players currently in the lineup are usually never correct and late in being posted, on whom a foul was called, points are also usually not correct.   A few years ago I mentioned this to MLB and he acted like he was unaware of the problem.  He said that those type of problems should be corrected with the new board.  However they have never been corrected.  Whether it is a system problem or poor operators of the system, these problems should be addressed and corrected immediately.  The scoreboard at the west end of the ARC often has info posted before it ever gets to the big, overhead board.  One would think that the info should appear on all the boards at the same time.  Who is in charge?    Let's get it corrected.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: crusader05 on January 22, 2019, 01:13:01 PMI know that one of Heckler's hopes was that he could work with the town for funding for the rec center and the new pool but then the town approved the referendum to rebuild the high school and that included money for a ridiculous state of the art pool.

It makes sense. If my memory serves VHS has a very good and highly competitive swimming team. Of course that probably left VU on it's own for improving its pool..

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on January 22, 2019, 01:13:01 PM
I know that one of Heckler's hopes was that he could work with the town for funding for the rec center and the new pool but then the town approved the referendum to rebuild the high school and that included money for a ridiculous state of the art pool.

Under original consideration was a 3-way partnership among Valparaiso City Government, Valparaiso Community School System, and the University. My understanding is that the university would not consider any location for a the natatorium other than on university-owned property. Given that the city and school system had the collective resources to go it alone and the university didn't, they would never agree to an arrangement that totally inconvenienced everyone in the community but for a small number of university students here part time.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2019, 02:05:36 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on January 22, 2019, 01:13:01 PMI know that one of Heckler's hopes was that he could work with the town for funding for the rec center and the new pool but then the town approved the referendum to rebuild the high school and that included money for a ridiculous state of the art pool.
Under original consideration was a 3-way partnership among Valparaiso City Government, Valparaiso Community School System, and the University. My understanding is that the university would not consider any location for a the natatorium other than on university-owned property. Given that the city and school system had the collective resources to go it alone and the university didn't, they would never agree to an arrangement that totally inconvenienced everyone in the community but for a small number of university students here part time.

On the surface that seems like a massive blunder but  maybe the university had to insist on that for competition reasons. Can swim meets be hosted of campus?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2019, 10:11:45 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on January 22, 2019, 09:06:07 AMI just can't believe Valpo is this strapped for cash and so resistant to risk taking.
I posted this earlier as a reply to another one of your posts when you said that Valpo isn't strapped for cash.  Read it this time. take a look at the Forever Valpo thread under General VU Discussion.  Apparently Valpo IS strapped for cash. And it will continue to be a dog fight for high quality students going forward.

Since when does an endowment drive inherently mean that a school is strapped for cash? Isn't it every school presisentsp responsibility to grow the endowment? Also if my understanding is correct not everything included in an endowment fund is liquid cash anyway but even so trying to increase the endowment fund of the school doesn't mean it's hard up or in a bad way.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 22, 2019, 02:37:03 PMSince when does an endowment drive inherently mean that a school is strapped for cash? Isn't it every school presisentsp responsibility to grow the endowment? Also if my understanding is correct not everything included in an endowment fund is liquid cash anyway but even so trying to increase the endowment fund of the school doesn't mean it's hard up or in a bad way.

It doesn't. If you had looked a little further up the thread you would have seen this posted by valpopal:

Given the continuing discussions or questions about fundraising, financing, and facilities on the board, I thought I'd pass along today's Chapel devotional distributed to the university by Deaconess Kristin and Pastor Jim, which reflects the current atmosphere of economic concerns across the campus.

A VIGIL FOR VALPO

For many among the faculty and staff of Valparaiso University, last semester was a rough one. Colleges and universities across the country are under financial pressure for a variety of identifiable and sometimes uncontrollable reasons. Here at Valpo we've not been exempt from these issues.

As anyone caught in the present government shutdown will tell you, when money gets tight people get anxious, even fearful. Last semester, in large forums and smaller meetings, faculty and staff sought answers to their questions and gave expression to their concerns. Some of these exchanges became heated. If our community has been typical of other human communities, there have been other, more quiet conversations which have been no less divisive as we identify others who are adding to the problem, not doing their fair share, have some unfair advantage, don't have all the facts, or aren't paying enough attention. The list of accusations can become nearly endless. Though our perspectives and concerns are real and legitimate, frequently in their airing we've not been our best selves. Instead, we've been quick to place blame, assume the worst of others, and succumb to a perspective that the reality of our work together is that our work is against one another: colleges in competition with other colleges, departments with departments, faculty and staff against administration. Many among us are frustrated, angry, fearful, and disappointed. Ironically, if we didn't care so much about it all, we wouldn't be so emotionally engaged.

It's a new year and a new semester but none of what I just described has gone away, nor will it.

We do, however, as a Lutheran university, have significant resources to bring to bear for our life together. The Chapel is offering the morning of Thursday, January 24, as a time of prayer vigil for Valpo. There will be FOUR 20-minute services of music and prayer around the cross on the hour, beginning at 9 a.m. in the Gloria Christi Chapel on the lower level, east end of the Chapel of the Resurrection.

Whether you're a member of the faculty, staff, administration, or a student, you are invited to come at a time that works with your schedule in order to join with others as we pray for ourselves, for our colleagues, for students, and for the university. We will remember that we are a whole university community under the Cross of Christ and that all of our work together, even our best work, is done under the incomprehensible grace of God who responds to our every failing with love and forgiveness. Both of us will be available in the time between the services for private conversation and prayer.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2019, 04:11:45 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 22, 2019, 02:37:03 PMSince when does an endowment drive inherently mean that a school is strapped for cash? Isn't it every school presisentsp responsibility to grow the endowment? Also if my understanding is correct not everything included in an endowment fund is liquid cash anyway but even so trying to increase the endowment fund of the school doesn't mean it's hard up or in a bad way.
It doesn't. If you had looked a little further up the thread you would have seen this posted by valpopal: Given the continuing discussions or questions about fundraising, financing, and facilities on the board, I thought I'd pass along today's Chapel devotional distributed to the university by Deaconess Kristin and Pastor Jim, which reflects the current atmosphere of economic concerns across the campus. A VIGIL FOR VALPO For many among the faculty and staff of Valparaiso University, last semester was a rough one. Colleges and universities across the country are under financial pressure for a variety of identifiable and sometimes uncontrollable reasons. Here at Valpo we've not been exempt from these issues. As anyone caught in the present government shutdown will tell you, when money gets tight people get anxious, even fearful. Last semester, in large forums and smaller meetings, faculty and staff sought answers to their questions and gave expression to their concerns. Some of these exchanges became heated. If our community has been typical of other human communities, there have been other, more quiet conversations which have been no less divisive as we identify others who are adding to the problem, not doing their fair share, have some unfair advantage, don't have all the facts, or aren't paying enough attention. The list of accusations can become nearly endless. Though our perspectives and concerns are real and legitimate, frequently in their airing we've not been our best selves. Instead, we've been quick to place blame, assume the worst of others, and succumb to a perspective that the reality of our work together is that our work is against one another: colleges in competition with other colleges, departments with departments, faculty and staff against administration. Many among us are frustrated, angry, fearful, and disappointed. Ironically, if we didn't care so much about it all, we wouldn't be so emotionally engaged. It's a new year and a new semester but none of what I just described has gone away, nor will it. We do, however, as a Lutheran university, have significant resources to bring to bear for our life together. The Chapel is offering the morning of Thursday, January 24, as a time of prayer vigil for Valpo. There will be FOUR 20-minute services of music and prayer around the cross on the hour, beginning at 9 a.m. in the Gloria Christi Chapel on the lower level, east end of the Chapel of the Resurrection. Whether you're a member of the faculty, staff, administration, or a student, you are invited to come at a time that works with your schedule in order to join with others as we pray for ourselves, for our colleagues, for students, and for the university. We will remember that we are a whole university community under the Cross of Christ and that all of our work together, even our best work, is done under the incomprehensible grace of God who responds to our every failing with love and forgiveness. Both of us will be available in the time between the services for private conversation and prayer.

Not that I don't doubt there may be some financial strain, but this doesn't really say much as to what those are. Is Valpo in debt, is the endowment getting too low... Or is the administration being fiscally conservative given some headwinds and not spending? It's not uncommon to be performing really well but to want to cut spending. I don't know what the truth is, but I do know I've heard this excuse for a long time as to why money can't be directed towards upgrading the one facility that is shown on a national stage yearly. No one here is asking for a brand new $100 million facility. Just getting the bare minimum is like pulling teeth.

humbleopinion

Quote from: vuny98 on January 22, 2019, 04:33:06 PMNot that I don't doubt there may be some financial strain, but this doesn't really say much as to what those are. Is Valpo in debt, is the endowment getting too low... Or is the administration being fiscally conservative given some headwinds and not spending? It's not uncommon to be performing really well but to want to cut spending. I don't know what the truth is, but I do know I've heard this excuse for a long time as to why money can't be directed towards upgrading the one facility that is shown on a national stage yearly. No one here is asking for a brand new $100 million facility. Just getting the bare minimum is like pulling teeth.

I'm sure that the tensions among faculty and staff stem from the number of faculty positions being eliminated.  The financial concerns are real.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 22, 2019, 02:31:58 PM
Quote from: wh on January 22, 2019, 02:05:36 PM

On the surface that seems like a massive blunder but  maybe the university had to insist on that for competition reasons. Can swim meets be hosted of campus?

Honestly, I have no idea if anyone blundered at all.  In fact, they very likely did not. It's like exploring a merger. Every player comes to the table with non-negotiables that can't be violated. Maybe investing serious dollars for an off-campus natatorium simply doesn't work in meeting the university's needs. Maybe it isn't consistent with its overarching strategy. I have no idea, but if that is the case, VU did the right thing in walking away. Maybe the parties agreed that it would make more sense for the university to rent time as needed. Who knows?  No disrespect intended toward swimmers, but it is a swimming pool we're talking about here.

VUGrad1314

I don't understand.$40-50000 per year is a lot of money $200million our current endowment is a lot more. Where does it all go? Is all of this because we cut the law school (an underperforming asset)?

M

How many students do you think actually pay that full 40-50k a year in tuition?

VUGrad1314

Could it be time to sacrifice some of that value for the sake of moving the university forward facilities wise? Obviously that won't help us athletic s department supporters because there's no way they would or should cut scholarship money for athletic improvements no matter how sorely needed they are.

crusader05

the law school is an incredibly large drain, but enrollment of students who can pay more is an issue and also retention. Students are much more willing to jump ship on a college especially with the current fears about student debt. The university is also seeing an increase in commuter student rates which means they are losing money that comes in housing fees as well.  I know the major focus right now is working on retention and enrollment as the main immediate impacts. They have recently spent money on new updated software programs to help with student records and retention. Valpo has been a bit to content to not keep up with the times because our way was working. Now I think they are realizing some things need to be more updated.  I honestly think one of vapors biggest problems is it seems to want to run itself like it's a small under 2000 person university and not the over 4000 undergrad university that it is

VUGrad1314

So we have 4000+

Build like we have 6000+

But manage like we have 2000 or less.

What a mess. How do we reconcile these factors and make that 6000+ figure a reality?

crusader05

I think six is doable but we will need to see a rebound in graduate schools. I think the new OT phd program and potentially finding a way to turn the current 5 year PA program into that plus a 2 year graduate program can help a lot.

As for managing like 2,000. I think it's mostly just a few that valpo is a close personal university and so there has maybe been a reluctance to moving towards more efficient but depersonalized systems but the reality is that as financial aide and majors and students expectations get more complicated you need a broader based system to deal with that. Whether that means more professional advising structures or going completely paperless with an more integrated system.

VU2010

Great discussion. As a graduate, it does worry me. Idk the state of financial affairs at Valpo and will not claim to...but, it does concern me. I wonder if they've done any analysis on how the increase in online programs elsewhere is impacting Valpo. Idk just wondering. Given how much they advertise ivy tech, they've gotta be willing to take the money they can get at this point - knowing they'd lose out on the first 2 years if a student transfers in from ivy tech with an associates degree.

It's just a new era. Without state funding or something that really sets you apart as a private school or big time donors, idk what the future holds.

Scary times for sure. I worry the law school shutting down is a major red flag. I hope it's not but do sincerely wonder.

What's next? Idk but I sure love VU.