• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Seeing that I started this thread it seems only fitting that I post response #1000!  I would think this is the only thread that ever made it this far!  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Nope. It may get there eventually but it is still absolutely dwarfed by this behemoth.

https://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1386.0

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 27, 2019, 01:59:49 PM
Nope. It may get there eventually but it is still absolutely dwarfed by this behemoth.

https://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1386.0

Over/Under: This thread gets to 80 pages before we get any meaningful facility upgrades for the ARC?

VU2010

Over .... unfortunately .... we'll be staring at the crappy walls, standing in long lines at the concession stand, sitting in high school bleacher seating, tripping over that darn power cord behind the announcers, watching under the 1970s yellow lights, and hoping for a good Culver's flavor of the day to wipe away our sorrows for years and years and years and decades and decades and decades to come.

valpospartan

I, and many others, have been complaining about the ARC's inaudible sound system for several years.  At the MOSTATE game, a strange thing happened:  The sound of the National Anthem, by the Phi Mu Alpha choir, into a wireless mic, was so clear, I couldn't believe it.  So this begs the question: is the problem with the mic that John Bowker uses, or are different speakers connected to the wireless mic?

valpotx

So the nutrition center is on the wall in the Hilltop?  It essentially looks like a side room, which works out well.  Do they need a special access card to gain access?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

"Like" Hellooooo OMG! It can hold 5,000 ::)
At least she originally called it a stadium :thumbsup:
Shine on Vu

M

I believe it is in a large former storage closet.  Still a nice thing to have, and probably pretty expensive to maintain (as a former college athlete I know some of those guys/girls can really eat).

If you want shorter concession line go to the one behind the mezzanine.

vu72

Quote from: M on January 31, 2019, 07:53:19 AM
I believe it is in a large former storage closet.  Still a nice thing to have, and probably pretty expensive to maintain (as a former college athlete I know some of those guys/girls can really eat).

If you want shorter concession line go to the one behind the mezzanine.

And a second nutrition center has been funded as well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I also believe this is athletes only, not a concession stand. Correct?

valpo64

The Phi Mu Alpha rendition of the National Anthem was terrific at the Drake game.  Please use them more often or get a decent arrangement for the pep band to play.  Between the sound systems in the ARC and Press Room and half-ass operations of the ARC scoreboard,  it is time to get our act together and provide a GOOD MID-MAJOR game experience.  Come'on Valpo Athletics and Administration, it is time to make some positive upgrades with your Athletic cash cow!!

M

Yes athletes only unless you want to buy yourself some game day Raisin Bran.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteSays a guy from a state funded school with 24,000 students...

So what? They're in our conference and we're competing against them. (Oh, and the state doesn't fund athletic facilities at most state schools).

Also, the private schools in the league have way better facilities than us, too, including one that's smaller than VU.

Our administration let our facilities lag for years, relying on the Drew family charm and coaching acumen to compensate for it. I mean, we've never even released a credible, detailed plan for facility upgrades. Not a capital campaign, and definitely not the upgrades themselves, but a just a stinkin' plan that sets a benchmark for what we'd like to do, the level of that funding would be needed, shows some rough renderings, etc. (and would get fans and donors fired up to write a check to help).

We don't get to be all defensive when opposing fans rightfully point out what a joke our facilities are by Valley standards when we've had YEARS to address the issue and have done less than zilch about it.

VUGrad1314

Half our private school opponents don't even own their facilities. The other two aren't significantly nicer than the current ARC. Yes we need upgrades but it's really easy to have a nice facility when your only contribution to a building is a lease. The public schools also have significantly larger and more athletically oriented fanbases. We need to encourage more  athletics support among the administration and the fanbase but there are strong signs that everyone gets oy now and we're coming along in this regard. I know it's hard because we did so little before but I really think that all that is needed now is a little patience.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 31, 2019, 05:58:43 PM
QuoteSays a guy from a state funded school with 24,000 students...

So what? They're in our conference and we're competing against them. (Oh, and the state doesn't fund athletic facilities at most state schools).

Also, the private schools in the league have way better facilities than us, too, including one that's smaller than VU.

Our administration let our facilities lag for years, relying on the Drew family charm and coaching acumen to compensate for it. I mean, we've never even released a credible, detailed plan for facility upgrades. Not a capital campaign, and definitely not the upgrades themselves, but a just a stinkin' plan that sets a benchmark for what we'd like to do, the level of that funding would be needed, shows some rough renderings, etc. (and would get fans and donors fired up to write a check to help).

We don't get to be all defensive when opposing fans rightfully point out what a joke our facilities are by Valley standards when we've had YEARS to address the issue and have done less than zilch about it.

You are going to pay Biggie?  If not, and I'm not paying......then there's exactly 23,998 non existent donors also unable to pay.

IT'S NOT A GOVT YOU TOOLS, WE DON'T PRINT MONEY!!!!

VUGrad1314

I would like to see a grassroots donation campaign where smallish donations unite with bigger donations to accomplish our goals but in order to do that we need a plan. On that part he is right. At least put forth a plan a set of ideals. something.

VU2010

Vugrad1314 - let's do it

VUGrad1314

Cool. Where do we start?

crusadermoe

VU2010

Go Fund Me? Idk I did notice on the athletics site there's a donation section as well.

bbtds

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 31, 2019, 05:58:43 PM(Oh, and the state doesn't fund athletic facilities at most state schools).

At Missouri State the basketball facility was paid for by private funds. JHQ Arena was paid for by John Q Hammons himself. Hammons was a graduate of MSU (then SW Missouri State) who went into the hotel business. The corporation he started now owns 78 hotels. Hammons was a basketball coach for a time after he graduated and lived in Springfield, MO. He died in 2013. It was clear that John Q Hammons was a huge sports fan who also happen to have a lot of money.

Valpo simply has had no alumni who appreciate sports as a guy like John Q. Hammons with the kind of money JQH was able to donate to his alma mater.

usc4valpo

Drake is significantly nicer than Valpo's facility. A great place to watch basketball