• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

I remember MLB saying when he was hired he was asked what he would do to take Valpo basketball\athletics to the next level. Numerous  victories conference championships\Tournament appearances a trip to the NIT Final Two conference moves and an increasing media profile have shown that he has succeeded. But we need to reach another level still. For various reasons our next level isn't a conference change. We're home and living the dream there. Our next level is consistently competing at the top of the conference in all sports. Much of that is going to be done in facility upgrades fan comfort\game experience upgrades parking upgrades continued marketing upgrades and (perhaps) further media profile increases and  coaching\recruiting budget increases. The question that needs to be asked and answered is what can\do we need to do to get to this level and stay there? Then we need to formulate a plan that gets us there.

NativeCheesehead

We were winning long before MLB got here. His legacy will be the conference moves (positive), facility upgrades (TBD), and post Drew family MBB hires (big TBD).

VU2014

We really need a field house with turf for multiple sports. It would help recruiting and training across the board. Not mention could be used for intramural and that's a recruit tool for the whole student body.

https://twitter.com/vumso/status/1096433763565875202?s=21

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on February 15, 2019, 03:32:09 PM
We really need a field house with turf for multiple sports. It would help recruiting and training across the board. Not mention could be used for intramural and that's a recruit tool for the whole student body.

https://twitter.com/vumso/status/1096433763565875202?s=21

I've been saying that the Porter property could easily support a second turf field (for in-season fall soccer) that can accommodate an inflateable bubble for winter sports (indoor T&F, M&W soccer, softball and baeball) and intramurals.  It's cost would be substantially less by orders of magnitude than a brick and mortar field house and still give the Athletic Department that extra space they so desperately need now.  Then a full fledged field house /recreation facility built later when more funds are available would further the initiative and make it permanent>. But the need is NOW (actually, way past now) and the funds needed would be so much easier to raise.  That turf field, if placed properly would then continue as the home of Crusader Soccer. To me it's a no brainer, but then I've been accused at times of having no brain, so there's that.  :)

crusader05

I agree with the idea of the bubble and could also even become a small revenue raiser if local teams can use it as well. It does not need to be nearly as large as the one in Crown Point but at least the size of a regulation soccer field.

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 03, 2019, 12:56:23 PM
We were winning long before MLB got here. His legacy will be the conference moves (positive), facility upgrades (TBD), and post Drew family MBB hires (big TBD).

An ARC upgrade will be done by someone at some point. It's inevitable. The only question is whether it will be done proactively (while the men's program is still a viable contender with a solid reputation, or reactively (after the program falls on hard times, and after a head coaching change or two. If it's proactive, mh and mlb should be highly praised. If they allow the program to fall off the cliff first they should be fired the day before new construction begins for squandering one of the biggest marketing assets a small private university could ever hope to have.

As the clock continues to tick toward midnight, and the excuses continue to prevail and mount, I have no faith that this will ever be accomplished during mh's tenure. In fact, to date he has not so much as given lip service to it or expressed any sense of urgency.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on February 15, 2019, 05:58:05 PM

An ARC upgrade will be done by someone at some point. It's inevitable. The only question is whether it will be done proactively (while the men's program is still a viable contender with a solid reputation, or reactively (after the program falls on hard times, and after a head coaching change or two. If it's proactive, mh and mlb should be highly praised. If they allow the program to fall off the cliff first they should be fired the day before new construction begins for squandering one of the biggest marketing assets a small private university could ever hope to have.

As the clock continues to tick toward midnight, and the excuses continue to prevail and mount, I have no faith that this will ever be accomplished during mh's tenure. In fact, to date he has not so much as given lip service to it or expressed any sense of urgency.

The American Way, keep mortgaging your future by getting the bigger house with more bathrooms.  It's a fools errand taking on unnecessary debt at a time of distress.

DORMS FIRST
ARC BEFORE REC CENTER
NEITHER WITHOUT MAJOR DONOR

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 15, 2019, 06:56:51 PM

The American Way, keep mortgaging your future by getting the bigger house with more bathrooms. It's a fools errand taking on unnecessary debt at a time of distress.

DORMS FIRST
ARC BEFORE REC CENTER

A terrible analogy, but I understand your point.

VUGrad1314

Time of distress? The endowment funds just received 10% returns and the endowment drive is in its home stretch Those aren't distress signals. It may not be all rosy given the tone of the recent  day of  prayer announcement and the closure of the law school  but it's not like Valpo is in a death spiral. Plus it's an investment in perhaps our most marketable asset. I've heard it said that the quality of dormitories isn't as high on students list as academic factors\ future job placement anyway but I'm sure we can solve all our problems by cutting the funding to those worthless cheer squads am I right?

wh

An amazing story about how a small private midwestern university leveraged success on the hardwood to achieve its vision:

Butler University unleashes building spree, beautification
July 13, 2018 Scott Olson

https://www.ibj.com/articles/69585-butler-university-unleashes-building-spree-beautification

"Butler's national name recognition, in the meantime, had soared to new heights following consecutive trips by its men's basketball team to the NCAA championship game in 2010 and 2011.

The college began receiving more applications, and still is. This fall, it will welcome 1,350 freshmen, besting the record of 1,255 set in the fall of 2016. Enrollment will climb to 4,600—also an all-time high."

VUGrad1314

Same thing is happening to Loyola right now. If they can sustain it they'll enter a period of incredible growth.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 15, 2019, 07:25:05 PM
Time of distress? The endowment funds just received 10% returns and the endowment drive is in its home stretch Those aren't distress signals. It may not be all rosy given the tone of the recent  day of  prayer announcement and the closure of the law school  but it's not like Valpo is in a death spiral. Plus it's an investment in perhaps our most marketable asset. I've heard it said that the quality of dormitories isn't as high on students list as academic factors\ future job placement anyway but I'm sure we can solve all our problems by cutting the funding to those worthless cheer squads am I right?

Solid way to sway ppl, keep up the "good" work.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 15, 2019, 08:21:44 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 15, 2019, 07:25:05 PMTime of distress? The endowment funds just received 10% returns and the endowment drive is in its home stretch Those aren't distress signals. It may not be all rosy given the tone of the recent  day of  prayer announcement and the closure of the law school  but it's not like Valpo is in a death spiral. Plus it's an investment in perhaps our most marketable asset. I've heard it said that the quality of dormitories isn't as high on students list as academic factors\ future job placement anyway but I'm sure we can solve all our problems by cutting the funding to those worthless cheer squads am I right?
Solid way to sway ppl, keep up the "good" work.

I wasn't trying to sway you or anyone. I admit the crack about the cheerleaders was an unnecessary cheap shot and I shouldn't have gone there. I'm in a bad mood after all these losses and took it out on you. My apologies.

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on February 15, 2019, 07:16:35 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 15, 2019, 06:56:51 PM

The American Way, keep mortgaging your future by getting the bigger house with more bathrooms. It's a fools errand taking on unnecessary debt at a time of distress.

DORMS FIRST
ARC BEFORE REC CENTER

A terrible analogy, but I understand your point.

LUDDITE:
"One who is opposed to especially technological change
The Luddite argued that automation destroys jobs."

This arguement is so lame. Dorms do not attract students.  A vibrant, exciting campus does.  A vibrant campus with a national profile in the media attracts students.  Students will stay in subpar apartments to be a part of a great campus environment.  Ask Butler.  Ask Loyola.  Attract the kids who will fill the ARC and it will work out, because with the additional enrollment you can build another dorm and renovate the others. Hey, if you aint' attracting a bigger applicant pool fugetaboutit.

My view: on the previous post:
ARC BEFORE anything
[DORMS FIRST[ when we get enough applicants (and acceptences with commitments)  to justify the build out
NEITHER WITHOUT MAJOR DONOR -- with whatever donors we can cobble together and then invest.  Dorms when it is clear we need to build (hell, purchase off campus facilities in the meantime if we need to.  Just get the bodies in the door and MBB will do that if we WIN).

IrishDawg

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 15, 2019, 08:35:38 PM

LUDDITE:
"One who is opposed to especially technological change
The Luddite argued that automation destroys jobs."

This arguement is so lame. Dorms do not attract students.  A vibrant, exciting campus does.  A vibrant campus with a national profile in the media attracts students.  Students will stay in subpar apartments to be a part of a great campus environment.  Ask Butler.  Ask Loyola.  Attract the kids who will fill the ARC and it will work out, because with the additional enrollment you can build another dorm and renovate the others. Hey, if you aint' attracting a bigger applicant pool fugetaboutit.

My view: on the previous post:
ARC BEFORE anything
[DORMS FIRST[ when we get enough applicants (and acceptences with commitments)  to justify the build out
NEITHER WITHOUT MAJOR DONOR -- with whatever donors we can cobble together and then invest.  Dorms when it is clear we need to build (hell, purchase off campus facilities in the meantime if we need to.  Just get the bodies in the door and MBB will do that if we WIN).

I can't speak to Loyola, but Butler built its "new" apartments next to the football field (which was also renovated before Hinkle), as well as a new rec center in 2006, which was about 7 or 8 years before it renovated Hinkle, and addressed its more recent housing issue by building a new dorm, parking structures, etc. prior to making the 2nd phase of renovations to Hinkle for its practice facility.

I don't disagree with your main point, that kids will follow success, and there's no one right way to go about reaching it, just disagree that Butler ignored its needed campus renovations to focus on making Hinkle nice.

Valpo2013

Although I agree with much of what has been said we need to remember that we are passionate sports fans
The bigger picture for the school has to be considered
It's a business
Dorms and rec center service the entire campus....not just athletics
Also
Like it or not
If we aren't winning games at a high level-students aren't going to come out to watch
Times are changing....

vu72

Quote from: wh on February 15, 2019, 05:58:05 PMI have no faith that this will ever be accomplished during mh's tenure. In fact, to date he has not so much as given lip service to it or expressed any sense of urgency.

Not so fast wh!  Start at 7:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgdv6ilT0cU
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on February 16, 2019, 07:54:09 AM
Quote from: wh on February 15, 2019, 05:58:05 PMI have no faith that this will ever be accomplished during mh's tenure. In fact, to date he has not so much as given lip service to it or expressed any sense of urgency.

Not so fast wh!  Start at 7:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgdv6ilT0cU

'72 - Good comments by mh. Unfortunately, that was almost 11 years ago. 

vu72

Quote from: wh on February 16, 2019, 09:29:24 AMGood comments by mh. Unfortunately, that was almost 11 years ago

True enough.  But, many of the things he mentioned are now in place like the track, the student fitness center, the locker rooms and the softball field.  So, logically (don't know why I said that!) the ARC should be next!  Let's hope so.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

We have a recent article posted by WH about the building strategy at Butler involving tens of millions of dollars and some partnering in dorm construction.  And we have new enrollment records there this year.  To add some more perspective of proactive private institution facilities expansion, I'll add a school with which we are associated in the PFL -- Marist.  There's a building boom on that campus right now.

They are expanding their athletic facility - Here's a story on the expansion of the gym -- a new auxiliary basketball venue, a varsity weight room (expanding and improving on the former area), a student fitness center (there is another one on the North end of campus in one of the new dorms), a multipurpose indoor athletic area, and I understand there is improved office space for the football coaching staff. https://goredfoxes.com/sports/2018/5/30/205243871.aspx?id=5587

They are building new dorms - North Dormitory Complex
The school replaced an aging dormitory complex with four new large buildings done in the campus palette of Hudson Valley granite with brick and cement trim. They have recently tapped several high rollers to fork over truck loads of money to put their names on three of the four buildings. Here's a couple of stories with videos:
www.marist.edu/-/marist-news-john-and-nancy-o-shea-hall-dedicated-in-campus-ceremony

www.marist.edu/news-detail/-/asset_publisher/G7CuQwHENxbe/content/2018-09-07-lavelle-hall-dedication?inheritRedirect=false

www.marist.edu/-/news-ward-hall-dedication-honors-marist-alumnus-tom-ward-69-and-mary-walker

Steel Plant Studios Expansion & Renovation
Just last week the greatly expanded and renovated Steel Plant Studios were officially opened. They are the home of the Fashion Design and Fashion Merchandising programs (ranked among the top 50 programs in the world) and also contain expanded facilities for the graphic and visual arts.  www.marist.edu/-/marist-news-renovated-steel-plant-is-unveiled

Medical School
This summer Marist will break ground adjacent to nearby Vassar Hospital on a new Medical School. Marist will leverage its joint study partnership with IBM to include areas such as cognitive computing and artificial intelligence into the Medical School's cutting edge curriculum. Last year Marist opened the newly built Allied Health Sciences building on campus (containing gross anatomy labs, etc.) housing the newly approved Doctor of Physical Therapy and Master of Physician's Assistant programs.

https://medical.marist.edu

www.marist.edu/science/doctor-physical-therapy/facilities

Further Construction this Summer
Marist will break ground this Summer on the academic quad to begin construction of a new state of the art School of Management building. Marist's School of Management has been AACSB qualified for decades, ranking it among the top 15% of business schools world wide. In addition, nearby aging Dyson Center will be closed for a year, gutted and renovated in a similar fashion to what was done with the Lowell Thomas Communications Center a couple of years ago.

MARIST BACKGROUND
Undergrad Enrollment - 5,038
Endowment  - $253 million
U.S News 2017 Ranking - 9th Regional Universities (North)

VU2010

I'm changing my position for the time being. Renovating the ARC is pointless if we're not concerned about holding the coach responsible for the product on the court.

Who we could have a beautiful arena but with the way things are going on the court - what's it matter?

I have a bad feeling the ARC along with it's overall b-ball program will soon be left in the dust like the law school if we continue on this downward trajectory.

Apart from Peters who hid the flaws, look at where we're at. We'll be lucky to have as many wins if we add this year and last year up as Bryce's last year coaching here. We're terrible. And it's painful to watch.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2010 on February 17, 2019, 08:24:17 AM
I'm changing my position for the time being. Renovating the ARC is pointless if we're not concerned about holding the coach responsible for the product on the court.

Who we could have a beautiful arena but with the way things are going on the court - what's it matter?

I have a bad feeling the ARC along with it's overall b-ball program will soon be left in the dust like the law school if we continue on this downward trajectory.

Apart from Peters who hid the flaws, look at where we're at. We'll be lucky to have as many wins if we add this year and last year up as Bryce's last year coaching here. We're terrible. And it's painful to watch.

Smile man, it's a marathon!

VU2010

Lol I guess so - but each season should be a relay race  - not oh hey, let's hope for a good team every 4 years. Can you imagine running a marathon for 4 years before getting a reward? Lol no thanks. It would be like running parts of a marathon ... starting off strong ... then blowing it ... getting hurt .... complaining about it ... taking several months off .... getting some momentum back .... hoping for a better rotation with some fresh feet .... and then blowing it once again .... sitting at home hoping to come back strong .... gaining some momentum .... and then blowing it again down the stretch. Wooooohoooo - sign me up!

oklahomamick

Valpo was accepted into the MVC based on the success of men's basketball and academics of the university. 

So what happens when those two start to decline?
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

Nothing happens expect we continue to get mocked for our entry and our arena.