• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Everyone in the area... That's just super for our recruiting outlook...

VULB#62

Wow. I just had a change of mind. I ive 35 miles from UWGB. The  men's games are always at the Resch Center with a 6k+ capacity. I kind of assumed that was their thing. But then, after carefully watching UWGB women's highlights on TV, it dawned on me that they play on campus at a 4000+ facility called the Kress Center. All seats are permanent, cushioned, chair backs in green. Beautiful. the men's HL tourney game at the Resch showed a less than  ΒΌ full arena. Tonight the Kress had at least 1000 and it looked better.

I have been converted. Forget about expanding to 6K seats. Forget converting about 5K seats to upgraded same stuff that HS gyms have. Forget about half bleachers and half plastic chair backs. Do whatever we can to duplicate the Kress and build  4K+/- seats, all permanent, cushioned chair backs. Make it a real arena, not an upgraded gym.

crusader05

I've heard this as well.

NativeCheesehead

They're hidden in between frames in the Zapruder film.

VUGrad1314

We have a larger endowment than Butler and our schools are of similar size. Don't tell me it can't be done here. If we can't get our budget and facilities to a level where we're competing at the highest level of the MVC that is because we have simply chosen not to. Time to get serious and make the commitment with your actions to match your words.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 09, 2019, 09:19:06 AM
We have a larger endowment than Butler and our schools are of similar size. Don't tell me it can't be done here. If we can't get our budget and facilities to a level where we're competing at the highest level of the MVC that is because we have simply chosen not to. Time to get serious and make the commitment with your actions to match your words.

I can only speak for me, but I think some of us think there are other needs that trump athletics at Valpo.  Namely among them dormitories, academic buildings and student rec center.

It's not that we don't want ARC upgrades but the budget is important for long term viability.  My vote is dormitories before ARC because Brandt, Alumni and Lankenau were inferior in 2001....what are they now?

I'd love an ARC upgrade but I'd sooner put my vote elsewhere first.  Anyone know when those three dorms were last built, sure seemed like 1970s or older.  I doubt they have much besides new tile or carpet.

Arc was 1980 right?

VULB#62

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 07, 2019, 04:18:28 PM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 05, 2019, 06:32:10 PM
artist renderings
They exist.

Under lock and key along with documented evidence that the moon landing was faked?  Why not put out such documents to give material evidence of forward thinking and aspiration (even if they are just conceptual)? It's something that alums and fans can at least get their minds around. Doing so is not an iron-clad promise with a specific date of completion. It is the first step in moving toward that goal.

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 09, 2019, 10:07:55 AM

I can only speak for me, but I think some of us think there are other needs that trump athletics at Valpo.  Namely among them dormitories, academic buildings and student rec center.

It's not that we don't want ARC upgrades but the budget is important for long term viability.  My vote is dormitories before ARC because Brandt, Alumni and Lankenau were inferior in 2001....what are they now?

I'd love an ARC upgrade but I'd sooner put my vote elsewhere first.  Anyone know when those three dorms were last built, sure seemed like 1970s or older.  I doubt they have much besides new tile or carpet.

Arc was 1980 right?

Brandt, Scheele and Lankenau were built in the 1962-64 time frame. Alumni was completed in the 1966-67 time frame. 

Hilltop was expanded to include the pool and the Hilltop seating mezzanine/gym #2 (bringing seating capacity to over 4,000) in 1962.

It was an amazing era of campus expansion under President O.P. Kretzman.   

I think it is interesting that O.P. recognized the close relationship between general campus expansion/improvement and commensurate expansion/upgrades in athletic facilities.

The expansion of Hilltop into the present day ARC opened in 1983 (according to the VU athletics website) upping capacity to over 5k in a new playing venue.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 09, 2019, 10:07:55 AM

Arc was 1980 right?

Close. Guild/Memorial is the oldest, built in 1946 but was renovated in 1999 and is air-conditioned
          Wehrenberg was built in 1959 but was renovated in 1995 and is air-conditioned
          Brandt was built in 1962, was renovated in 2016 and has some air-condtioning on the first floor
          Lankenau was built in 1964
          Alumni was built in 1966
          Beacon was built a few years ago and is air-conditioned.

The ARC was opened in 1984, and is hotter than a biscuit on certain days in September!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

My guess is the people who are currently seeing any ARC upgrade plans have way more zeros after there net worth than most of us on this board.  However, as I understand it they are done building academic buildings for awhile and are focused on upgrades and ARC renos unless a donor shows up ready to front the cost.

Brandt has been upgraded and is definitely an improvement as it also for bunk beds and more freedom with some air conditioning.

Alumni and Lank will be next if funds are available because they are lower costs.

I have also heard that development of land, including working to bring a bar next to campus are priorities as well.

VULB#62

Quote from: crusader05 on March 09, 2019, 10:57:49 AM
My guess is the people who are currently seeing any ARC upgrade plans have way more zeros after there net worth than most of us on this board.  However, as I understand it they are done building academic buildings for awhile and are focused on upgrades and ARC renos unless a donor shows up ready to front the cost.

Brandt has been upgraded and is definitely an improvement as it also for bunk beds and more freedom with some air conditioning.

Alumni and Lank will be next if funds are available because they are lower costs.
B
I have also heard that development of land, including working to bring a bar next to campus are priorities as well.

Here are some questions regarding that.

I heard that a parking structure between Scheele/Lankenau and the union would free up valuable land now occupied by the parking lots south of the Softball field. That would free up space for new dorms and/or academic buildings. Happening?

The Porter property remains undeveloped with the exception of a sidewalk and some  soccer lines painted on the weeds for intramurals. Two questions: (1) when the hospital was demolished and the land graded and seeded, why didn't  the surface specifications require better drainage and high quality grass to allow for additional practice space and better intramural use.  To do that now will be considerably more expensive than if it was done initially. (2) the 30 year plan calls for a soccer stadium on the property (along with a field house/recreation facility -  still a pipe dream).  What's up there with at least some partial land development that is considerably less to build?

East Gate acreage, with the exception of the Em Bauer baseball complex, has largely fallen into disuse as both MSO and WSO pretty much train and play at Brown Field as do T&F (except the throwing events). That land seems very valuable and its sale could fund relocation of Em Bauer Field to the 30 year plan location across from the ARC and maybe more.  Possible?

crusader05

I have heard one plan was to put a parking garage behind the union to add parking space at this time and eventually perhaps allow for one of the lots by the softball field to be more buildings. either business or nursing per the master plan.  I wouldn't be surprised if that happens as soon as they can free up some capital because parking is a bit of an issue as commuter numbers rise.

I am unsure about the development of the old hospital land other than I think they remain flexible on specifics but are saving it for athletics.

They have also begun the demolishment of some houses along Linwood avenue and will soon have the old Phi Kappa Psi house lot back as they plan to begin building this summer. They also will soon have Heritage Hall and Weisman Hall to use as they see fit as well. Which might be able to be used as administrative buildings (what better place for a campus museum and Alumni Relations than the oldest building on campus, if you ask me!). which can free up some other space near campus. It really does feel like a big jigsaw puzzle.

My pure speculation: The Endowment campaign will end with some sort of announcement about athletic facilities upgrades and what they are will depend on the donor money raised but I would say that we should at least see ARC renos even if not the full shebang in that announcement.

VULB#62

Quote from: crusader05 on March 09, 2019, 12:04:40 PM
I have heard one plan was to put a parking garage behind the union to add parking space at this time and eventually perhaps allow for one of the lots by the softball field to be more buildings. either business or nursing per the master plan.  I wouldn't be surprised if that happens as soon as they can free up some capital because parking is a bit of an issue as commuter numbers rise.

I am unsure about the development of the old hospital land other than I think they remain flexible on specifics but are saving it for athletics.

They have also begun the demolishment of some houses along Linwood avenue and will soon have the old Phi Kappa Psi house lot back as they plan to begin building this summer. They also will soon have Heritage Hall and Weisman Hall to use as they see fit as well. Which might be able to be used as administrative buildings (what better place for a campus museum and Alumni Relations than the oldest building on campus, if you ask me!). which can free up some other space near campus. It really does feel like a big jigsaw puzzle.

My pure speculation: The Endowment campaign will end with some sort of announcement about athletic facilities upgrades and what they are will depend on the donor money raised but I would say that we should at least see ARC renos even if not the full shebang in that announcement.

2021, right? In two years?  To quote Stephen Colbert, "Meanwhile....".  By then that may be like putting a band aid on a severed arm. This MBB program could be in the dumpster by then saddled with an uphill struggle to save even a fraction of the credibility it once had and that not only includes fans and the general public, but more importantly, MVC level talented recruits.

crusader05

Hey I didn't say it was speculation that would be satisfactory :)

VULB#62

Quote from: crusader05 on March 09, 2019, 12:48:43 PM
Hey I didn't say it was speculation that would be satisfactory :)

Understand. Just speculating on your speculation  ;D

NativeCheesehead

So they don't even have someone in this position.

Am I the only one who thinks this entire athletics department is hanging by a thread?

VUGrad1314

What a joke and travesty... What are we DOING? Do we care AT ALL about doing well? Good grief that's embarrassing...

vufan75

I thought (probably wrong) that Ben Boggs was in this position the last couple years?
He was one of the VU folks in the ARC Suite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

M

It was just posted, sheesh. You do realize that jobs get posted if someone has given notice that they are leaving right??

Ben has moved on to a new adventure it would seem.

JD24

Quote from: M on March 18, 2019, 06:27:29 AMIt was just posted, sheesh. You do realize that jobs get posted if someone has given notice that they are leaving right??
Why sit back and reason when you can kneejerk?

GoldenCrusader87

Watching this Georgetown vs. Harvard game @ Georgetown. Wow - a bit shocked to see their arena. I'm thinking this is what people think when they see the ARC. Glorified high school arena. Bleachers are a bad look. Some new chairbacks around the arena + new lights + new paint ... could make a big difference.

https://guhoyas.com/sports/2018/6/6/facilities-gu-mcdonough-arena-html.aspx

NativeCheesehead

Georgetown plays almost all their home games in the DC NBA arena. I'm assuming the unscheduled nature of the post season tourneys forced them to their on campus facility.

VALPO LI

Similar to St. John's home games played at
Carnesecca Arena on campus that has a high school gym feel.  They play most of their bigger named schools at Madison Square Garden in Midtown Manhattan.

https://stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/carnesecca-arena-s551

Shine on Vu