• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 20, 2019, 07:03:46 PMGeorgetown plays almost all their home games in the DC NBA arena. I'm assuming the unscheduled nature of the post season tourneys forced them to their on campus facility.
Only game of the season at McDonough. Same thing happened last time they were in the NIT. Capitals game tonight at the Capital One Arena

bigmosmithfan1

Also, the last-minute nature of the NIT means fewer ticket sales. Most NBA buildings require a crowd of 7 or 8K to break even on the rental fees.

GoldenCrusader87

Thanks for the clarification - I was thinking .... there's no way they play at this venue all the time.

ksValpo01

There are renderings. The university is not going to pay for new facilities - they may assist in the upgrading of parts of the ARC (arena A/C, new lights, sound system, chairbacks) It has been made very clear that any new athletics facilities will require a major donor to come to play.

The university is having serious financial woes due to the law school debacle - but even before that it was made clear that any improvements had to come from donors. It is a shame that dating back to 1998, there has been a short-sighted view that investment in athletics would not help to build Valpo as a national brand.

Back when the university built the addition to the chapel while the ARC has changed very little, I was definitely salty. What program within the university has the best chance of being broadcast on national television? What facility is shown to a large audience?

humbleopinion

Quote from: ksValpo01 on March 21, 2019, 10:57:09 AMBack when the university built the addition to the chapel while the ARC has changed very little, I was definitely salty. What program within the university has the best chance of being broadcast on national television? What facility is shown to a large audience?
Of course a donor gave money specifically for the chapel project.
Beamin' Beacons

VUGrad1314

Even those free small things  ac lights sound system and chairbacks would be massive improvements. Just give us those and most of us will be happy. Just that right now would be plenty.

NativeCheesehead

Bowl the lower level with chair backs. (Think Orena in Rochester) LED lighting, a few small cosmetic upgrades to the entrance and we're set for 10-15 years.

ksValpo01

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 21, 2019, 11:00:48 AM
Quote from: ksValpo01 on March 21, 2019, 10:57:09 AMBack when the university built the addition to the chapel while the ARC has changed very little, I was definitely salty. What program within the university has the best chance of being broadcast on national television? What facility is shown to a large audience?
Of course a donor gave money specifically for the chapel project.

Of course. Athletics is responsible for recruiting their own major donor, but have a list of Valpo supporters who are off limits.

VUGrad1314

Why would anybody be off limits?

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 21, 2019, 12:23:54 PM

Whether you understand it or not 80% of Valpo's big donors don't care a bit about the Athletic Dept and won't donate to it. Ask people on campus if they care about the Athletic Dept & Valpo sports. Most I believe detest Valpo Athletics and think Athletics is most campuses waste money. That is just the way it is at Valpo. They go to Valpo to get away from major college sports.

VUGrad1314

They should take a look at some of the programs they have if they want to talk about waste of money. I get so mad about academics who make six figures and have permanent job security while getting paid to sit there and read books and in most cases not do anything of any practical value for the world complain about funding and their lot in life. They have it on easy Street and should shut up and be grateful. Somebody should teach them a little bit about economics and marketing but it won't do any good for most of these people.

ksValpo01

Quote from: bbtds on March 21, 2019, 03:27:32 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 21, 2019, 12:23:54 PM

Whether you understand it or not 80% of Valpo's big donors don't care a bit about the Athletic Dept and won't donate to it. Ask people on campus if they care about the Athletic Dept & Valpo sports. Most I believe detest Valpo Athletics and think Athletics is most campuses waste money. That is just the way it is at Valpo. They go to Valpo to get away from major college sports.

Because they have them waiting in the wings to do other things. There are donors, who given the chance to get excited about the future of Valpo, would be down for gifting to athletics. 

The other piece of this puzzle is that support for athletics on campus has to come from the top. Athletics is a part of the university, no matter how some may detest it. Athletics, particularly football, brings in students and money to the university that they may not have had otherwise (see Evansville after cutting football). There are so many advantages to lifting up athletics in the right way, and part of that is making an investment to get winners in the door.

usc4valpo

Crap, why not get a sponsor near and dear to
Valpo to help pay for a major renovation and place their name on the facilility? The Caterpillar or Pampared Chef center? Is there something immoral about that?

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 21, 2019, 04:27:02 PM
They should take a look at some of the programs they have if they want to talk about waste of money. I get so mad about academics who make six figures and have permanent job security while getting paid to sit there and read books and in most cases not do anything of any practical value for the world complain about funding and their lot in life. They have it on easy Street and should shut up and be grateful. Somebody should teach them a little bit about economics and marketing but it won't do any good for most of these people.

Not commenting on the profs but on the big donors that support programs at Valpo. Many detest Athletics.

bbtds

Quote from: ksValpo01 on March 21, 2019, 04:34:18 PMBecause they have them waiting in the wings to do other things. There are donors, who given the chance to get excited about the future of Valpo, would be down for gifting to athletics. 

Not really true. Valpo wouldn't have put $15 million into the Chapel if the Helges hadn't wanted to put their money there. If Pastor Helge had met his wife at an athletic event and become a player agent with a rich aunt that worked at AIG, he might have given his $15 million for ARC/Hilltop renovations. In particular do you suppose the Helges appreciate the Athletic Dept at all. I've heard by rumor they absolutely detest Athletics.

VU2014

I'm saving my donation for Proud to be Valpo Day and it's going to be earmarked for an ARC reno. Won't be much but at least it will be something

https://twitter.com/valpoad/status/1112859064474722304?s=21

vu72

Granted, the Helges have been very generous to Valpo as they were also the lead donors for the Union.  Athletics have had donors and now may be time to hit them up again.  Valpo spent 3.2 million on Brown Field and lighting and the tennis complex must have also cost a couple of million.  More recently Jay Christopher gave a million to finish the track and The McDonald's EVP gave 2 million for basketball recruiting, so there are some big buck donors who have contributed to athletics.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo95

Quote from: bbtds on March 21, 2019, 06:44:05 PM
Quote from: ksValpo01 on March 21, 2019, 04:34:18 PMBecause they have them waiting in the wings to do other things. There are donors, who given the chance to get excited about the future of Valpo, would be down for gifting to athletics. 

Not really true. Valpo wouldn't have put $15 million into the Chapel if the Helges hadn't wanted to put their money there. If Pastor Helge had met his wife at an athletic event and become a player agent with a rich aunt that worked at AIG, he might have given his $15 million for ARC/Hilltop renovations. In particular do you suppose the Helges appreciate the Athletic Dept at all. I've heard by rumor they absolutely detest Athletics.

The truth is that the world of fundraising and donor relations is complex for many reasons. Donors have their own preferences for where the funds go, as well as the timing of when they might make a donation for personal or tax reasons. Universities have their own preferences. Often, the biggest donors are developed over time, and the relationship between the major gifts officers and the President with the donors is just that: a relationship and not a transaction. During that time, the major gifts officers figure out that the donor has no interest in athletics at all. How does this look in practice? Perhaps a donor gives $25,000 one year for a few years, then the ask is for a larger gift. Maybe the donor is giving toward the VU scholarship fund, yet says "We'd like to endow a professorship for $1M, probably about three years from now." Or maybe the donor says, "We'd like to donate $1M for an academic scholarship to support students studying civil engineering." That donor might be "off limits" from the athletic department - you don't want the Athletic Director or an athletics-focused officer hounding the donor for ARC renovations or a $1M scholarship to support a men's basketball player without coordination from the University's major gifts department. That is a sure-fire way to annoy a donor to the detriment of the University.     

GoldenCrusader87

Anyone else notice that there's a Pepsi fountain machine in the nutrition shop? Lol .... why???? I like Pepsi too but wouldn't think of it as an integral part of a nutritional shop. Reminds me of the early 90s when we had All Sport. Remember that?? Haha too funny.

Valpofan15

Look a little closer. It's all Gatorade.

VALPO LI

Gatorade which is owned by PepsiCo's is why we are seeing it on the dispenser and the side of the fridge.  Marketing and branding.... kind of like the large M in red and gold under the scoreboard, am I loving it...not really.  I would have rather seen Tropicana or Naked Juice (also owned by Pepsi). A much better fit for a nutrition center.
Shine on Vu

GoldenCrusader87

Thanks for pointing that out. Glad it's not soda. Lol.

As for the Golden Arches, I'd be alright if they sponsored a new ARC and could publicize their processed foods al they want.

Heck, I'd even indulge just for the sake of it. I used to love a good Big Mac! Then again, eventually you've gotta cut back on that stuff. Oh, cholesterol. Not my best friend. Nothing like a McDonald's large fry. I usually get a diet drink, though. Then again, my sodium is still too high :(

vu72

Mark's monthly AD report.  Mentions $1.5 million in improvements and the name of a few donors who are very big time.  Nothing about men's basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StWi5292qM4&feature=youtu.be
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

I
Quote from: vu72 on April 05, 2019, 11:12:12 AMNothing about men's basketball!

???  He mentions the locker room improvements for basketball as well as improvements to Hilltop.  It was nice to hear Jim Stueve contributed.  Maybe some of our millionaire pros could remember their alma mater...
Beamin' Beacons

GoldenCrusader87

Look at the bright side ....

There's plenty of room in the locker room right now for everybody (left) to stretch out and enjoy. Could probably give them each a hammock right about now. End tables. Lamps. Maybe even put in a kitchenette.