• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on April 05, 2019, 12:19:56 PM
Look at the bright side ....

There's plenty of room in the locker room right now for everybody (left) to stretch out and enjoy. Could probably give them each a hammock right about now. End tables. Lamps. Maybe even put in a kitchenette.

Washing machines?

GoldenCrusader87

Washing machines ..... how could I forget???

VUGrad1314

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 06, 2019, 08:35:51 PM
The new arena at the University of Southern Indiana a D2 school is NICE. Take a look.

https://www.courierpress.com/videos/news/2019/03/31/tour-new-screaming-eagles-arena-university-southern-indiana/3315212002/

Only cost them around $66 million too, which honestly isn't terrible for a brand new facility (villanova completely gutted and renovated their similar sized arena for $65 million).

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on April 07, 2019, 04:51:37 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 06, 2019, 08:35:51 PM
The new arena at the University of Southern Indiana a D2 school is NICE. Take a look.

https://www.courierpress.com/videos/news/2019/03/31/tour-new-screaming-eagles-arena-university-southern-indiana/3315212002/

Only cost them around $66 million too, which honestly isn't terrible for a brand new facility (villanova completely gutted and renovated their similar sized arena for $65 million).

USI is a public university with 10,000 students.  Honest question, since they have public money (tax revenue) is that why an endowment of only $100,000,000 is acceptable?  Or is that a red flag?

It's sort of like why public school teachers have minimal retirement savings compared to private employees who use 401k.  We don't get pensions that come monthly, thereby we are expected to have substantial "endowment" equivalent monies when compared to "public" Universities that get regular tax dollars?

Do most public universities operate with smaller pressures to perform endowment campaigns?  I was under the impression that state universities get varied state funds depending on the elected officials, I'd consider a school with a $66,000,000 stadium and only $100,000,000 endowment foolish short of a giant chunk of stadium money coming from lead donors or state funds?!?!

usc4valpo

This should not be difficult. Get a sponsor to donate, just like many other schools. Seriously, this is the 21st century, and this can be done tactfully. Get an Indiana company or one with Valpo influence to support this.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 07, 2019, 07:42:40 AM
This should not be difficult. Get a sponsor to donate, just like many other schools. Seriously, this is the 21st century, and this can be done tactfully. Get an Indiana company or one with Valpo influence to support this.

Would the "sponsor" get the same tax breaks donating to a NFP university as much as a NFP (say) children's hospital or cancer research funding org?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 07, 2019, 07:50:14 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on April 07, 2019, 07:42:40 AM

Would the "sponsor" get the same tax breaks donating to a NFP university as much as a NFP (say) children's hospital or cancer research funding org?

Suppose what I'm getting at is that the good will/publicity companies get for donating (reducing taxable income) to causes such as the aforementioned would far far far outweigh helping a university with their athletic stadium.  In a town of 26,000 ppl in a region of Indiana not known for anything other than Porter Memorial Hospital and Task Force Tips....

Kouts and neighboring towns aren't beacons for brand awareness dollars, who is going to donate to Valpo that has corporate money the size and scope needed for a $30,000,000+ renovation?

I'm skeptical is all, but that's hardly front page news.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 07, 2019, 07:50:14 AMWould the "sponsor" get the same tax breaks donating to a NFP university as much as a NFP (say) children's hospital or cancer research funding org?

Probably.  But it well could be taxable non-related business income to Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Anheiser Busch, Caterpillar, maybe a a Steel company, Whirlpool. The tax situation should be resolved. crap, we are a Christian university, ask Osteen - he has cash.

usc4valpo

How about a mega church as a sponsor?

GoldenCrusader87

BP???? Family Express???? McDonalds???? Luke Oil???? Urshel Labs?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on April 07, 2019, 10:01:08 AM

They are all HQ within 30 miles of Valparaiso and or have significant employee engagement in Valparaiso (next to a cornfield) Indiana?

Do you guys know how hard it is to get money from corporations?  They'd rather their customers give $1 at check out and make it seem like THEY did all the work on OUR dime...

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 07, 2019, 10:16:32 AM
Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on April 07, 2019, 10:01:08 AM

They are all HQ within 30 miles of Valparaiso and or have significant employee engagement in Valparaiso (next to a cornfield) Indiana?

Do you guys know how hard it is to get money from corporations?  They'd rather their customers give $1 at check out and make it seem like THEY did all the work on OUR dime...

Good point on several of them, I got annoyed when you mentioned BP and McDonalds.  I just can't believe for one minute that Valpo hasn't approached these companies in the past.  I'm as flustered as everyone on the Arc Renovation threads because I have friends who do charitable fundraising for a living and I know how hesitant large corporations are to going outside of Heart Disease and Cancer as a charitable cause.

VU72, can you elaborate on the "taxable" concept that VU might find itself in with a donation such as Arc Renovation?  I'm not familiar.

crusader05

I can't speak to all but Family Express is CHEAP. The other thing you run into is with some of these that are larger but still run by a family like Family Express/white lodging. They have loyalties to other schools like the White's with Purdue. It can be hard to get them to donate to a university.

The Urschel's might be your best bet but they've been throwing money at the town of Valpo lately.

I still say you call up all the Drews and ask them for some donations, rename the thing the DREW and commission a bronze bust of the Homer/Bryce embrace after the shot and put it right outside.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 07, 2019, 10:38:11 AMVU72, can you elaborate on the "taxable" concept that VU might find itself in with a donation such as Arc Renovation?  I'm not familiar.

Basicly, it goes like this:

In regulations released in 2002 (IRC Reg. §1.513-4), the IRS created something of a safe harbor for corporate sponsorships. These regulations define a qualified sponsorship payment as a payment for which the sponsor receives no substantial return benefit other than mere acknowledgement by the organization. The major risk with acknowledgement messages is the acknowledgement will contain an inducement to buy the sponsor's products or services. When this occurs, the acknowledgement crosses the line into advertising and becomes taxable as Unrelated Business Income (taxable to Valpo)

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

I think a steel corporation would be a great sponsor because of the location. Or perhaps some mega church associations where they have lots of cash - I think it would be great publicity and advertising.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on April 07, 2019, 12:15:56 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 07, 2019, 10:38:11 AMVU72, can you elaborate on the "taxable" concept that VU might find itself in with a donation such as Arc Renovation?  I'm not familiar.

Basicly, it goes like this:

In regulations released in 2002 (IRC Reg. §1.513-4), the IRS created something of a safe harbor for corporate sponsorships. These regulations define a qualified sponsorship payment as a payment for which the sponsor receives no substantial return benefit other than mere acknowledgement by the organization. The major risk with acknowledgement messages is the acknowledgement will contain an inducement to buy the sponsor's products or services. When this occurs, the acknowledgement crosses the line into advertising and becomes taxable as Unrelated Business Income (taxable to Valpo)

Hmm, I'd have to better understand the 2002 NFP environment to understand the reasoning behind this. 

But on the surface it seems like the gov't is telling corporations they aren't in the business of giving tax breaks for brand awareness to large corporations (ie Duke getting a state of the art arena from McDonalds which is tax deductible.  Considering that arena will stand for 10+ years as McDonalds arena and the logo on the court gets TV time 1x a week (40-minutes) on prime time from Nov to March....for 10-years)

Am I on a tangent, or was that one of the arguments for the law change?

GoldenCrusader87

I only brought up McDonalds because of Paul Schrage, class of 1957 — Retired Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer at McDonald's Corporation. You cant tell me there's not some pull here :)

Let's start with this list - pretty amazing group of individuals. Obviously, some are notable for reasons that may not correlate with financial success. Amazing group of people!

Valparaiso University alumni excel in a number of fields, and are well-known for their service work and efforts to make the world a better place. Valpo alumni remain engaged with the University and form an extensive network that benefits recent graduates. Here are a few of those alumni:

Marjorie Albohm, class of 1972 — Director of Research and Business Development, Ortho Indy; the first woman certified as an athletic trainer in Indiana (Indianapolis)
Linda Allen, class of 1978 — Director, C-130J International Programs, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics (Retired)
G. Allen Andreas, Jr., class of 1965 and Law 1968 — Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Archer-Daniels-Midland
Kathryn Baerwald, class of 1972 — Assistant University Counsel, Georgetown University
Jacqueline Baker, class of 1984 — Registered nurse and founder of health clinic in Vancouver, WA, which treats individuals unable to afford medical care
Richard Bimler, class of 1963 — Former Director, Wheat Ridge Ministries; Valparaiso University Ambassador
N. Cornell Boggs III, class of 1982, J.D. 1985 — Executive Vice President, General Counsel, and Corporate Secretary; Toys R Us Inc.
Stephen Buyer, Law 1984 — U.S. Congressional Representative for the 4th District of Indiana
Denise Casalino, class of 1986 — Won national recognition for her work as project manager for the $200 million+ reconstruction of Chicago's historic Wacker Drive
JoBe Cerny, class of 1970 — Actor, producer and author; voice of Pillsbury Dough Boy and silent actor in Cheers detergent commercials; appeared in My Best Friend's Wedding (1997) and Road to Perdition (2002)
Jay Christopher, class of 1967 — Chairman of the Thatcher Corp., a software developer and reseller in Addison, IL; co-founder of The Pampered Chef
Jeffrey Dippold, class of 1974 — Vice President-Global Markets Finance, Bank of America
Bryce Drew, class of 1998 — Former NBA player (Houston Rockets, Chicago Bulls, New Orleans Hornets); former Men's Basketball Coach, Valparaiso University
Richard Duesenberg, class of 1951 — Retired General Counsel, Monsanto Co.
Robert Duesenberg, class of 1951 — Retired Senior Vice President, General Dynamics
Arthur Fabsits, class of 1962 — Consultant, Hansen Information Technology
Carolyn Femovich, class of 1971 — Executive Director of the Division I Patriot League
Donald Fites, class of 1956 — Former Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, Caterpillar, Inc.
Richard Gozon, class of 1960 — Retired Executive Vice President and CEO, Weyerhaueser Co.
Lowell P. Hager, class of 1947 — Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois; National Academy of Sciences inductee
Catherine Jenny, class of 1957 — Retired Director, Addiction Recovery Programs at N Street Village, Washington, D.C.
Heather (Mitchell) Johnson, class of 1974 — Obstetrician and gynecologist, Reiter Hill & Johnson, LLP, Washington, D.C.
Mary Junck, class of 1969 — Chairman, President & CEO, Lee Enterprises, Inc.
Richard Kauzlarich, class of 1966 — Former U.S. Ambassador to Bosnia and Herzegovina
Tiiu Kera, class of 1967 — Major General, U.S. Air Force (Retired)
Robert Kirtland, class of 1991 — Soldiers' MEB Counsel/JAG, Department of Defense-Medical Command
Paul Landahl, class of 1961 — Bishop of the Metropolitan Chicago Synod of the ELCA
Jacki Lyden, class of 1975 — Host and senior correspondent, National Public Radio; author of The Queen of Sheba (1997)
Paul Manske, class of 1960 — Chief of Orthopedic Surgery at Washington University School of Medicine
Lloyd McClendon, class of 1981 — Nearly 20 years in Major League Baseball; Hitting Coach for Detroit Tigers
Holly Messick, class of 1999, Vice President-Corporate Relations, American Heart Association
Julie Meyer, class of 1988 — Founder and CEO of Ariadne Capital Ltd., United Kingdom.
Robert Moellering Jr., class of 1958, 1974 LLD — Chair, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital; Former professor at Harvard Law
Deborah Neymark, class of 1979 — Vice President of Regulator Affairs, Vascular Solutions
Carole Nuechterlein, class of 1983 — Chief Corporate Counsel, Sangstatt Medical Corporation in Switzerland
Rebecca Pallmeyer, class of 1976 — Judge, U.S. District Court
Robert Palumbo, class of 1980 — Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Valparaiso University; research scientist at Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland
Eugene Parker, Law 1982 — Attorney and Sports Agent; clients include Deion Sanders, Aeneas Williams, Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, and Emmitt Smith
Michael Rickman, class of 1984 — Corporate Counsel, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
T. Marshall Rousseau, class of 1955 — Retired Executive Director of the Salvador Dali Museum, Sarasota, Florida
Robert Rucker, Law 1976 — Justice, Indiana Supreme Court
Ben Schnakenberg, class of 2000 — Associate, High Road Capital Partners
Paul Schrage, class of 1957 — Retired Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer at McDonald's Corporation
Al Seib, class of 1978 — Pulitzer-winning photojournalist, Los Angeles Times
Kathi P. Seifert, class of 1971 — Retired Executive Vice President, Kimberly-Clark Foundation; Fortune magazine's 50 Most Powerful Women in Business in 2002 and Forbes.com's annual "America's Top Businesswomen"
Paul Sieving, class of 1970 — Director of the National Eye Institute
Nick Skytland, class of 2002 — Open Government Initiative Director, NASA
Rene Steinke, class of 1986 — 2005 National Book Award finalist
Jill Long Thompson, class of 1974 — Former Undersecretary, U.S. Department of Agriculture; former member of U.S. Congress; CEO/Sr. Fellow for National Center for Food & Agriculture
Charles R. Vaughan, Law 1957 — Attorney, defended Ryan White, AIDS victim
Amy Vie, class of 1989 — Vice President, U.S. Institutional Sales, Shire
Marc Voth, class of 1965 — Nuclear Reactor Inspector for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Richard Wamhoff, class of 1967 — Retired Vice-President, Asia/Pacific & Global Manufacturing/Supply Chain, H.J. Heinz Company; Retired President/CEO, Ore-Ida Foods
Julie Winkler, class of 1996 — Managing Director of Research and Product Development, CME Group
Ron Zech, class of 1965 — Chairman and CEO, GATX Corporation
Ginger Zuidgeest (Zee), class of 2002 — Meteorologist, ABC News
Jennifer Lake Zigmund, class of 2004 — Vice President, Zapwater Communications

usc4valpo

I still think Eugene Parker should be part of the Valpo Athletics Hall of Fame - in SI he was recognized as one of the top 50 African- American influencers in sports. a great person.

crusader05

I still wish we had embraced the Pillsbury doughboy  more.  Maybe a little statue of him on campus. Some Pillsbury bobble heads. I'm sure we could work with the company for trademark/copyright permission

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on April 11, 2019, 03:11:03 PM
I still wish we had embraced the Pillsbury doughboy  more.  Maybe a little statue of him on campus. Some Pillsbury bobble heads. I'm sure we could work with the company for trademark/copyright permission

Well, we do have a Valpo connection there.  My ex-roommate, JoBe Cerny

https://www.nwitimes.com/entertainment/columnists/offbeat/pillsbury-doughboy-and-jobe-cerny/image_32dc4432-b4ec-592e-a014-384638fde79f.html

FWalum

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on April 11, 2019, 10:43:52 AMLet's start with this list - pretty amazing group of individuals. Obviously, some are notable for reasons that may not correlate with financial success. Amazing group of people!

So this is the list from the distinguished alumni page? Really surprised that it does not include all of the award recipients.  A friend of mine is an DA award winner and surprised he was not on this list.
Christopher (Chris) J. McDougle, MD class of 81 - Nancy Lurie Marks Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School and Director, Lurie Center for Autism.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on April 11, 2019, 05:44:34 PM
Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on April 11, 2019, 10:43:52 AMLet's start with this list - pretty amazing group of individuals. Obviously, some are notable for reasons that may not correlate with financial success. Amazing group of people!

So this is the list from the distinguished alumni page? Really surprised that it does not include all of the award recipients.  A friend of mine is an DA award winner and surprised he was not on this list.
Christopher (Chris) J. McDougle, MD class of 81 - Nancy Lurie Marks Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School and Director, Lurie Center for Autism.

It certainly isn't "all Inclusive".  As an example, it doesn't include Bob Hansen, recently retire CEO of Dow Corning.

GoldenCrusader87

No idea why we wouldn't include everyone ... great points. Not sure who adds them.