• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

I posted this in the General Valpo section but really think this could lead to big changes for the campus and in particular, the basketball facilities.

Valpo has launched a development plan for 130 acres of land adjacent to the University and in part, the old campus property.  It talks about unlocking the tremendous value in the land portfolio.  Padilla has said that the ARC is a priority for improvement/redevelopment and this could be where the money could come from. Maybe just dreaming but it really seems to be a potential answer.

https://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/avro-development-announces-vitalize-valpo-a-130-acre-master-development-initiative-in-valparaiso-in
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU75

Not to be a glass half empty guy, but in four months this thread topic will be a decade old.  On the plus side, the Valley should be very skeptical about assurances made before admitting UMKC.

tjjvalpo

I have heard that there is two major donors to upgrade or build a new facility to replace the ARC. What they are waiting on is additional donations to support the ongoing operations of a new facility. We can hope!

VUSERF

Some of my favorite stadiums are smaller, focusing on game day experience and less on capacity.

Examples:

Hawkins Arena -- Mercer University
UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse -- Duquesne
UPMC Events Center -- Robert Morris University
Hagan Arena -- St. Joe's
Hynes Athletic Center (more recent renovations) -- Iona

I am hopeful we can accomplish something similar. I was in the ARC a few weeks ago and I did not hate the court.

If they just wanted to renovate I wouldn't be totally against that (although the remiaing structure of the ARC / Hilltop is pretty drab). Fixing the lighting and enclosing a lower bowl would go a long way I think. Something similar to Carnesseca arena at St. John's for an enclosed lower bowl.

NativeCheesehead

Anyone know what's the deal with the score board?

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 08, 2021, 06:20:17 PM
Anyone know what's the deal with the score board?

Are you referring to the center scoreboard, south side that's been half on/half off for the past 2 or 3 games, or are there other issues I haven't noticed - in addition to the perpetually broken sound system. It's one thing to have the smallest house in the neighborhood; it's another to have the smallest and most run down house in the neighborhood. I'm embarrassed for the university and the athletic department.

Just Sayin

Did the scoreboard break when we got over 100 points?

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 08, 2021, 07:15:24 PM
Did the scoreboard break when we got over 100 points?

No, it rolled over to '01' without a hitch. ;)

VUSERF

Have to say I very much like the shield of character on the court. Honestly looks better on TV.

I miss the old days when our branding was done by professionals. They better leave the shield and not put that horrendous lantern VU in house team made. That thing was made in PowerPoint.

VU2014

Non-D1 schools putting our facilities to shame...

We've all been hard on Lottich's (lack of) coaching abilities and rightfully so, but I give the guy credit that he's recruited at a level he has with our facilities being negative selling point of the program and school. Need to give him credit there.

https://twitter.com/ajcook_1/status/1483264327901716481?s=21

VU2014

It'd be nice if Valpo could stop being such a punchline in its own conference.

https://twitter.com/iammattruss/status/1636917628957519872?s=46&t=cNk7taMAYtxNl1Q0_O79Gw

usc4valpo

Our favorite topic has come back to life! We need to sell more art...

VULB#62

They serve nachos!!!!

FYI EDIT:  Name - the Rothman Center. Dedicated - 1987.  Newest update - converted some seating to 500 chair-backs.  Capacity - just under 3,000. Parking - 2,000 cars. .

valpo64

So that gym is better than ours?????????????    Why?   Because it it newer????     If we think our facilities are poor(which they are),  look at some of the "minor" schools facilities in the Big East Conference,  A -10 and A Sun.

VULB#62

A Little More Context 

NEC D-I Basketball Conference arena seating capacities.

Central CT - 2600
FDU - <3000
Long Island U - 2500
Merrimack - 1500
Sacred Heart - 2062
St. Francis Brooklyn - 1200 (but also occasionally rents the Barkley Center - 18000)
Stonehill - 1560
St. Francis (PA) - 3500
Wagner College - 2100

Conference average seating capacity = 2211 per gym ( and that's what they are.). Most Indiana HS gyms are bigger by a factor. 

Yet these schools are D-I and have D-I budgets. But it is clear from the capacities that expenses must  outweigh revenue.  A few of these schools also play D-I hockey and some have on-campus rinks. CCSU, SHU, Stonehill, Merrimack, SFU(PA), Wagner play Football in stadiums with capacities close to  or smaller than Brown Field.

We lament any home game with fewer than 2,000 butts in the seats. Some NEC schools would be ecstatic to see 2000 and most seldom do. Ever. Concerns on our board over athletic budget cite the need for returning attendance figures to Drew era numbers. One NEC school comes close but none of the rest even has a capacity to fit the Drew Era home attendance figures, let alone hold some of the crowds we've had for Butler, FSU, St. Mary's, HL championships, etc., that topped 4,000.

usc4valpo

64 - the ARC is a generic dump and it doesn't even have any character, unlike Fordham or other schools.

truth219

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 18, 2023, 02:59:28 PM
64 - the ARC is a generic dump and it doesn't even have any character, unlike Fordham or other schools.
Complete dumpster...lacrosse high school which holds maybe 1000 people and from the 1800s has way more character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humbleopinion

Quote from: truth219 on March 18, 2023, 04:56:33 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 18, 2023, 02:59:28 PM
Complete dumpster...lacrosse high school which holds maybe 1000 people and from the 1800s has way more character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, there will no longer be opportunities to see high school games at the LaCrosse gym as the district is consolidating its schools in Wanatah.
Beamin' Beacons

VULB#62

Granted there are some (actually very few) old, iconic college basketball arenas that can be described as having character. And many times the term "character" is a euphemism for "old and out-dated," but because they are the homes to long-time successful programs, they get that pass. The Palestra in Philly, Cameron on the Duke campus, Hinkle at the school down south fall into that category IMHO. However, I would not die on a hill fighting to get people to acknowledge Fordham's gym had that kind of character once people got inside.

Rose Hill Gymnasium on the Fordham campus was built in 1925 and is the oldest on-campus arena in NCAA D-I. Although a beautiful architectural site (very "campus gothic" if you get my drift) from the outside, for years in the 1990s to the early 2000s it was a standing joke anywhere east of the Mississippi. Yeah, it was tough to play there cuz it was an "old, smelly gym" but it also had all bleachers and minimal restrooms ( apparently people in ll1925 had huge bladders) and minimal concession space. But Fordham did the right thing in the 2010s and beyond.  They replaced bleachers with chair-back seating, added two big video scoreboards, replaced the playing floor, and made it a dedicated arena of 3,500, rather than multi-purpose, etc. Inside, it is now modern. Character now only applies to the stone exterior.

What I am getting at is that the ARC arena is NOT a dump. It is merely outdated, built in the same era as Fairliegh Dickinson's facility. But it has great modernization potential.

Using my best Rod Serling voice: "Imagine, if you will.........  "

..........new, permanent chair-backs on three sides of the court replacing:  1) the present collapsible chair-backs, 2) the bleachers opposite and 3) a new chair-back installation opposite the student bleachers. Modernized student bleachers to complement the "bowl" look. Finally, replace the upper level wood bleachers with collapsible chair-backs in the same color pattern as the bowl.  Capacity impact?  Instead of 5,000 claimed seating, maybe 4,500 or as low as 4,000 actual.  But, hey..... still very good and proportional.

Of course, four other improvements would be needed to transform the arena into an up-to-date facility: AC, added restrooms, added (very important) concession areas and a new top grade audio system.

..........and you have reached [eerie music] ..................The Beacon Zone.

Seriously, compare a mostly cosmetic upgrade with a many multi-million dollar construction project for a brand new arena for a small university with a lot of other financial priorities. But wait.  What about lost interior space as a result of such an update?  Well, how about a nice but modest, functionally designed building with offices, and training and locker facilities for many of the non—revenue sports that is connected to an inflatable "field house" on the Porter land.  Think baseball, softball, T&F, WSO working out of there instead of sharing ARC space.

IMHO, this is a responsible and proportional response to the facilities issue in keeping with a private MVC university with a smaller alumni base, a smaller enrollment, no state or municipal assistance and other callings besides just athletics. The key, again in my opinion, is proportional.  And the advantage is that such a plan (at least the arena upgrade) can be accomplished inside of 12 calendar months vs. years.  It would probably place a burden on other non-revenue sports while the ancillary facility is built (or maybe not) but that is a price worth paying as a long-term investment to ensure that the flagship remains afloat.

VUSERF

I have the same opinion as #62.

I believe the ARC is salvageable. It needs a lot of work, but I believe the work required to make it acceptable for the MVC and for the Universitys needs would be more cost effective than a new facility.

I think a horshoe bowl of collapsible chair backs on the main floor would be great. I would actually leave the student section as is (it was more fun to stand anyways during the games). I think a small riser section or collapsible stage for the pepband at the corner entrance would also be nice. The same collapsible chair backs for the upper searing would be great as well.

Lights and audio need to be updated. However the scoreboard looks pretty nice.

I would add that the wall behind the existing chairbacks could be opened up to bring in some natural light. I think small boxes could also be installed behind the existing chair backs for handicapped accessibility as well as for local businesses / events.

See Mercer's basketball stadium for a great example of how good this could look.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-sprint-us-revc&q=Hawkins+Arena&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLUz9U3sMwxNDN5xGjCLfDyxz1hKe1Ja05eY1Tl4grOyC93zSvJLKkUEudig7J4pbi5ELp4FrHyeiSWZ2fmFSs4FqXmJQIAQfGzFlQAAAA&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjyv82C-ub9AhXjj4kEHTeLCC4Q0pQJegQICRAB&biw=384&bih=724&dpr=2.81#imgrc=RCF_D7xXlkUQPM&lnspr=W10=

I feel that this is more affordable than a new facility and would meet our needs.

VULB#62

Yes, there are numerous options, and, gut feel, they would be less expensive than a new arena that leaves the ARC as is - and almost obsolete. Think about concerts on the ARC floor with everyone in chair-backs or chairs. Hell, Gonzaga  upgraded their facilities and it has added to their national notoriety.  The Loyola upgrade got them into the MVC. We actually have decent MVC-level game facilities in SB, T&F, Baseball, Tennis, & Golf. Swimming uses a great community facility. Brown Field could use an upgrade to the press box and home stands, but we are ok at present. 

My thought is that a major proportional upgrade (whatever that entails)  to the arena coupled with a decent, additional athletic building to support other sports would be a much more cost-effective use of resources and gifts and would raise all sports.

My only problem with this is where do you put the giant blow-up light house 🙄 with the beacon light that indicates a Valpo win?

And to be clear on that last note, that was heavy sarcasm.

historyman

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 18, 2023, 05:10:00 PMSadly, there will no longer be opportunities to see high school games at the LaCrosse gym as the district is consolidating its schools in Wanatah.

New name?

WanaCrosse?

LaCrotah?

Crosstah?

South LaPorte? Would be confusing.

Cass-Dewey?

Dewey-Cass?

US421 HS?

North Kankakee HS? Confusing?

Manaea HS?

Somoan HS

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

As a few of you may have pointed out, the problem with renovation to permanent, non-retractable seating is that this only makes the ARC's availability for other students a real problem. Remember that when the seats are backed up there remains two basketball floors used extensively for intramural and other teams.

I too believe the ARC can be renovated but as '62 has pointed out, it would need to be done while also adding an additional facility lot an inflatable, multipurpose structure.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Absolutely 72. Any ARC arena redo must be paired with a new (but much less expensive than an arena) ancillary facility.

And... in keeping with Padilla's desire to upgrade the dorms, and increase attractiveness for potential enrollees, also including in the ancillary athletics building a new fitness facility open to all students along with student locker space and showers would add attractive campus amenities kids are looking for.

My thought is that the combination of ARC renovation and ancillary athletic/fitness facility would be a fraction of a new arena and provide a better ROI with respect to addressing the entire campus population.