• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Apparently the Valpo basketball fans aren't very enthusiastic about the $12,000 being asked for.  At the present, of all 14 athletic team fund raisers, the ARC fund is second last place with $770 committed, while teams like bowling are drawing more money!  And yes, I have made my investments.

At present, the whole Day of Giving is headed for a disastrous performance, with a total of $153,300 in the bank out of a goal of $1,100,000.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Branding? 

We had a brand.  It was a Crusader. 
CRUSADERS!!!

sfnmman

For all the justified complaining on this board about Valpo's outdated basketball facilities, there appears to be very weak support in raising the $12,000 crowdfunding request for ARC basketball facilitiy improvements.  What gives? 

VU2014

https://twitter.com/valpobasketball/status/1645864290551844888?s=46&t=cNk7taMAYtxNl1Q0_O79Gw

Time for everyone to put their money where their mouth is.

Valpo Basketball is ONLY at 9% on a goal of $12K while the swim team had a goal of $10K and is already at 50% of their goal!

vu84v2

I can see some potential problems with how the basketball/ARC donation requests are structured:

1. Roger Powell is a great hire and there is a really good chance that he will do a great job. But performance, not expectation, is more likely to drive donations. Furthermore, it is a general request and many people like to give to specific things.
2. $12,000 for the ARC is a small fraction of what is needed to really renovate the ARC. Crowdfunding is the wrong method for ARC improvements.

VU2014

Quote from: vu84v2 on April 11, 2023, 03:57:06 PM
I can see some potential problems with how the basketball/ARC donation requests are structured:

1. Roger Powell is a great hire and there is a really good chance that he will do a great job. But performance, not expectation, is more likely to drive donations. Furthermore, it is a general request and many people like to give to specific things.
2. $12,000 for the ARC is a small fraction of what is needed to really renovate the ARC. Crowdfunding is the wrong method for ARC improvements.

Valid points, but additionally our fanbase is small and I think there are a lot of very passionate Valpo fans who love the idea of upgrades and a new arena, but don't want to be the ones to fork out the money.

Let's be real, a lot of people on this board want something but don't want to commit anything financially, not even $50.

So the question, I'd pose to the group, is what would it take for you to make a donation to ARC renovations or a new arena fund? And let's be honest and not lie to ourselves. Are you flat out just unwilling or unable to make a donation at this time? I understand, being unable to financially, but it's pretty easy to find things we frivolously spend money on, reoccurring subscriptions we never use, lottery tickets, random junk at the store you know you don't need but buy anyways. A lot of people on this board could donate but have made the choice not to, for whatever reason. If you are a frequent Visitor to this message board, you obviously have a passion for Valpo Basketball. My question to you, is your frivolous spending (we all do it sometimes) worth more than the joy, Valpo Basketball brings you?

crusader05

Even if they announced a new arena tomorrow it would probably take 3-5 years. Renovations for that amount probably equal some new paint and curtains or maybe a new pa system. Things that should happen whether a full shebang happens later or not.

historyman

Let's face it. This group likes to talk a lot but won't do anything themselves to try and really help.

It just wants a mega donor to waltz in and give all the money needed. Valpo doesn't have that mega donor. You need to open up those creaky old wallets! At least to get a start and show a large donor that the fans appreciate what they would be giving large funds to help the MBB team.

I wonder what Coach Powell would think.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpo64 on April 11, 2023, 12:50:40 PM
I hope the money raised will not go for dog food !

Valpo raises money for Alpo.

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Just Sayin

NativeCheesehead

Did Padilla just randomly announce we're getting a new building during his opening remarks for the presser?

FWalum

I heard it. He said that the building would start in 2 years North of Brown Field... Seems VERY optimistic.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Will sombody please ask Padilla for clarification on the new arena!!!!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Pgmado

Quote from: FWalum on April 12, 2023, 10:49:33 AM
Will sombody please ask Padilla for clarification on the new arena!!!!

I waited until my 1-on-1 with Padilla and I got a ton of info on this. It will be up on TheVictoryBell.com in the next day or so. Need to see how I'm spacing out stories.

I guess it's time to test the theory if people are willing to spend $50! Lol.

wh

Quote from: FWalum on April 12, 2023, 10:16:09 AM
I heard it. He said that the building would start in 2 years North of Brown Field... Seems VERY optimistic.

I haven't seen it yet. Is he talking about adding a second nursing building on LaPorte west of Lebien Hall?

VULB#62

Padilla, at one time, said that any new arena would be more than a BB Arena. It would be a multi-use facility that would incorporate a conference center and possibly a hotel.

If we had a champagne taste and budget, check out little ole High Point's facility. The idea is to not only benefit VU but share that benefit with the community as well.  Could work.

https://www.highpoint.edu/arena/

AB

High Point has a beautiful facility. Tubby Smith provided funding for that as a gift back to his alma mater.

VULB#62

It's way over the top, but it could serve as a model, albeit in, maybe, a scaled down version luxury-wise.

Just Sayin

QuoteAbout the Qubein Arena and Conference Center

$120 million total cost for arena, conference center and hotel
4,500 arena seats
Features include suites, locker rooms, staff offices, concession stands, a merchandising area, media suite, film room, press conference room, weight room, athletic training room, hospitality area, high tech audio and video equipment, ticket office and practice gym
2,500 conference center seats
A small, executive hotel will be located adjacent to the conference center to support a proposed hospitality management program and accommodate a growing number of requests by organizations who specifically want to tour the campus and experience HPU's unique educational environment and culture.
Construction will begin during the 2018-2019 academic year

https://www.highpoint.edu/blog/2017/01/hpu-to-name-new-arena-and-conference-center-in-honor-of-qubein-family/

"This past weekend (Sept. 24-26th, 2021) High Point University saw the Grand Opening of the Nido and Mariana Qubein Arena & Conference Center occur with three days filled with celebration. The Qubein Center is a $170 million-dollar state-of-the-art facility, that will be the new home of HPU Basketball on the Donna and Tubby Smith Court, a space for engaged learning inside the conference center, and a place for enjoyment and experimental learning in the Jana and Ken Kahn Hotel."

Dr. T

I've flapped my gums enough to put my $ where my mouth has been. So, I donated. Why?
1. They made the necessary move by letting ML go.
2. They made a really, really strong hire.
3. Dr. Small & President Padilla made it clear they *are* committed to the Valpo MBB program - I especially respected the clear sentiments expressed concerning the new facility.

I'll also be renewing my season tickets.

In short, they are doing more than I thought they'd do - so, I'm pleasantly surprised & willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

valporun

I'll be honest...when it comes to Day of Giving, I can't donate a lot, but when I do, I split my small donation between the Cross Country and Track teams. I do that because I was a part of those programs when the track was unusable at Eastgate, we were still in the Mid-Con, and the coaching staff could only do so much to build the program. Now that we have a track again, and a new coach, it's time to support it as I can. The Day of Giving would have been a great time to come out with a Facilities announcement about what the new athletics/fitness center would look like, include, and be for the University and Community. Hopefully Day of Giving 2024 will bring that sort of announcement.

Chairback

Nice, but putting lipstick on a pig...

PA get an upgrade?

NativeCheesehead

Lipstick on a pig? Couldn't disagree more.

Sure, the argument could be made these changes are at least 10 years late but LED lighting will make the arena look a little better in person and MILES better on TV. I was tired of watching home games on ESPN+ that looked like they were being played in a dimly lit cave. Also, it seemed we couldn't go a full season without at least 4-5 games with major problems on the scoreboard so hopefully this clears those up.

Seriously, in less than 3 months we've bought out a coach, hit a home run on the hire (or so we think, time will tell), and upgraded the arena. That's a helluva spring.