• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ml2

VULB#62, maybe this article will better answer your question about what makes a D1 school. http://www.ncaa.org/about/who-we-are/membership/divisional-differences-and-history-multidivision-classification
Looks like I was wrong and there is some minimum overall scholarship requirement, although the exact number is not specified. Also, it is not mentioned in the article, but I think the process for new members includes some stricter requirements than for existing schools.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 03, 2017, 08:35:11 PM
72, we've covered the Colby endowment in past posts. That is not my point, so let's get past that. I used that to make another point. My point is that other colleges are recognizing that building a student recreation and athletics facility (for that matter any freaking "amenities" facility)  that attracts future students  is a positive investment given the competitive environment we face. Anything less is adhereing to the status quo and that puts Valpo on the downward escalator in today's competitive educational market.  Valpo can sit on its ass or it can be aggressive. IMO, the institutions that choose to be conservative  or rely on the successes of the past are rapidly losing ground to those who attack the future.

Do the dorms need upgrading? Yes. Does the endowment need expansion? Certainly. ........And that 18 year old potential student is closely following that endowment growth and that will determine their choice. Right! The dorms are old but today everything is digital so who cares if things are not hard wired? That student wants to see a campus that meets their immediate needs.

But it is your point 62.  As for amenities, for us internet folks, that would be $600,000 of the new video equipment. Or, how about the fact that our library and union were internet jokes?  Not any more.   As for being competitive, how about the new state of the art chem/bio building for attracting the brightest and the best students.  Dorms are a big deal (particularly when they lack air conditioning in September) and that is why one of the new projects will be the redo of one of the dorms built in 1965. If anybody thinks running Valpo is easy, they are wrong.  One major mistake could take Valpo down, period.  As for those who think the administration isn't invested in athletics I ask that they read the latest Valpo magazine.  Has anyone read it?  It is FULL of news about the change to the Valley and is FULL of written comments about the administration's commitment to athletics.  Time will tell, but at the same time, blaming past failures to take advantage of athletic news will not help.  I feel strongly that the people in charge of athletics and the administration will move this forward in a financially responsible fashion.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

I am sure they will according to their plan.

valpospartan

A few thou to upgrade the PA system in the ARC would be appreciated.  From where we sit, we can barely hear a garbled John Bowker (and this is when there is no crowd noise) , because there are no speakers pointed in our direction.

oklahomamick

$600,000 for new video equipment?  Fine, no problem, thats easy.  Lets do a pay game with someone.  If needed play a couple pay games.  Some schools fund their entire athletic budget based on pay games.  I even think Oakland (king of the HL) plays a couple pay games. 

Personally, if a school has to play 4 pay games a season, they should not be DI.  (I look forward to reading M's article on what the requirements are to be D1)  I'm afraid that in the near future DI will only be power 5 conferences.....

Back to pay games....I've asked several times but don't think anyone knows the answer.  Is Purdue paying us to come play? 

(Oppland said he had a once in life time expereience playing Duke at Cameron - surely that was a pay game?)  Let's do a couple pay games and get new video equipment. 
CRUSADERS!!!

AranJacobs

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 05, 2017, 08:30:56 AM
$600,000 for new video equipment?  Fine, no problem, thats easy.  Lets do a pay game with someone.  If needed play a couple pay games.  Some schools fund their entire athletic budget based on pay games.  I even think Oakland (king of the HL) plays a couple pay games. 

Personally, if a school has to play 4 pay games a season, they should not be DI.  (I look forward to reading M's article on what the requirements are to be D1)  I'm afraid that in the near future DI will only be power 5 conferences.....

Back to pay games....I've asked several times but don't think anyone knows the answer.  Is Purdue paying us to come play? 

(Oppland said he had a once in life time expereience playing Duke at Cameron - surely that was a pay game?)  Let's do a couple pay games and get new video equipment. 

I think the problem with that is that its so difficult to find a high major that wants to play us because they are scared it could be a trap game, yet alone pay us to play them.

vu72

(Oppland said he had a once in life time expereience playing Duke at Cameron - surely that was a pay game?) Let's do a couple pay games and get new video equipment. 
[/b]

My point was that we already have spent the $600k on this equipment as it was a requirement of The Valley to step it up so now we have instant replay etc including a entirely new video production room at the ARC, which wasn't the case last year.  We also now have video of football games and soon will have video of softball and even baseball after we spend a bunch more to get cable out to East Gate.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

I don't have current information, but going back to '14 and '15, Purdue was paying $80-$90k per game for opponents like IPFW and Ball State.  Unless Purdue is planning a return game to the ARC (unlikely), I assume Valpo would be getting around $100k for the game.

bbtds

Quote from: AranJacobs on December 05, 2017, 08:34:05 AMI think the problem with that is that its so difficult to find a high major that wants to play us because they are scared it could be a trap game, yet alone pay us to play them.

I'm sure Painter and Bobinski are saying to each other "really glad we scheduled Valpo, they have never lost any games to low end RPI teams and really prepare us well for the B1G games."

Okay, that last part of the statement really isn't that far off.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 02, 2017, 10:45:55 PM
What makes a program D1?  Number of sports offered or number of scholarships?

The answer to your question is university mindset:

D-I Mindset:  He's going to start because he runs a 4.4 40.
D-III Mindset:  He's going to start because he has a 4.4 cumulative GPA.

D-I Mindset:  When we invest in athletic facility upgrades, we are doing so so that we can put our student athletes in the best possible position to compete and win championships.
D-III Mindset:  When we invest in athletic facility upgrades, we are doing so so that our students can maintain healthy lifestyles and have a place to work out.

D-I Mindset:  Our athletic programs are integral to our university community. 
D-III Mindset:  Our athletic programs are ancillary to our university community.

You get the idea.

VU2014

Correct me if I'm wrong but we've already been doing a few "buy-games" the last few seasons. Those funds are already going somewhere or budgeted. Maybe those funds are being used for coaching salaries. At the end of the day we shouldn't do anything to hurt our on court product to make a couple extra $100k. It has to make basketball sense first. Buy-Games shouldn't be leaned upon to fund ARC upgrades.

2017-18:
-Purdue
-Northwestern

2016-17:
-Oregon
-Kentucky

2015-16:
-Oregon
-Oregon State

FWalum

Quote from: AranJacobs on December 05, 2017, 08:34:05 AM

I think the problem with that is that its so difficult to find a high major that wants to play us because they are scared it could be a trap game, yet alone pay us to play them.
The answer to the question "Is Purdue paying us to come play?" is not answered here, but information concerning how and why the schedule came together is part of this Union Street Podcast. The scheduling discussion starts at 27:41. Union Street Hoops Episode 36 I read so many questions, why are we playing non D1 schools, why can't we get this or that team to do a 1 for 1 or 2 for 1, etc. etc., on this board that I think everyone should listen to this episode. Can our schedule get better... Yes, did we just change conferences... Yes, will being in the MVC help our scheduling.... Yes, it is a work in progress that caused some hiccups in this year's schedule.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

Quote from: valpospartan on December 04, 2017, 11:06:14 PMFrom where we sit, we can barely hear a garbled John Bowker (and this is when there is no crowd noise) , because there are no speakers pointed in our direction.

My wife would pay serious money to have that method installed in our family room.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FWalum on December 05, 2017, 11:31:11 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on December 05, 2017, 08:30:56 AM$600,000 for new video equipment?  Fine, no problem, thats easy.  Lets do a pay game with someone.  If needed play a couple pay games.  Some schools fund their entire athletic budget based on pay games.  I even think Oakland (king of the HL) plays a couple pay games. Personally, if a school has to play 4 pay games a season, they should not be DI.  (I look forward to reading M's article on what the requirements are to be D1)  I'm afraid that in the near future DI will only be power 5 conferences..... Back to pay games....I've asked several times but don't think anyone knows the answer.  Is Purdue paying us to come play? (Oppland said he had a once in life time expereience playing Duke at Cameron - surely that was a pay game?)  Let's do a couple pay games and get new video equipment.
The answer to the question "Is Purdue paying us to come play?" is not answered here, but information concerning how and why the schedule came together is part of this Union Street Podcast. The scheduling discussion starts at 27:41. Union Street Hoops Episode 36 I read so many questions, why are we playing non D1 schools, why can't we get this or that team to do a 1 for 1 or 2 for 1, etc. etc., on this board that I think everyone should listen to this episode. Can our schedule get better... Yes, did we just change conferences... Yes, will being in the MVC help our scheduling.... Yes, it is a work in progress that caused some hiccups in this year's schedule.

I find the apparent willingness to play non-D1s and bottom feeder programs like Chicago State into the future Coach Gore showed in this interview alarming.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 05, 2017, 02:31:11 PM
I find the apparent willingness to play non-D1s and bottom feeder programs like Chicago State into the future Coach Gore showed in this interview alarming.

I'm not a fan of those games either. I hope we are beyond specifically the bottom feeding teams. Non-D1s offer value of getting a game a home tuneup game that won't hurt our RPI. Playing the Chicago States of the world actually hurt our RPI and not to mention it annoys the fans and its a tough sell to paying customers.

Bottom line the home non-conference schedule opponents were bad and it needs to be better next season because the Team/Athletics Department owes it to the fans and the season ticket holders specifically. But I will say that I personally give them a pass this season because of the Conference switch affecting scheduling and we need to ramp up schedule with this team. Not to mention we have 9 new Conference opponents that will be visiting the ARC. Being able to see MVC Teams in the ARC is 1000% better then the see bottom feeding Horizon League teams march into the ARC and leaving with their tails between their legs. It's just a complete upgrade.

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on December 05, 2017, 11:31:11 AM

Next time Luke Gore is on USH turn the thermostat down to 40 and hand him a pair of winter mittens. It would help the show a great deal.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

Ignore the interview and just look at the background. Missouri State has a really nice arena. It was pretty embarrassing during the Valpo vs MSU broadcast when Missouri State's broadcaster said it's like a really nice high school gym when they were describing the ARC.

If someone did a Power Ranking of MVC arena/facilities we would by far the worst arena. What's even sadder is it sounds like we have no plans to improve our situation. We're just holding out hope a donor will come improve our situation. Any donor would likely donate towards a student rec before any ARC reno.

https://twitter.com/Alec_McChesney/status/948619594893332481

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on January 03, 2018, 01:52:50 PMIgnore the interview and just look at the background. Missouri State has a really nice arena. It was pretty embarrassing during the Valpo vs MSU broadcast when Missouri State's broadcaster said it's like a really nice high school gym when they were describe the ARC.

They also said how loud it was and that the fans were right on top of the court.  MSU's place doesn't look very "intimate"

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on January 03, 2018, 02:00:14 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 03, 2018, 01:52:50 PMIgnore the interview and just look at the background. Missouri State has a really nice arena. It was pretty embarrassing during the Valpo vs MSU broadcast when Missouri State's broadcaster said it's like a really nice high school gym when they were describe the ARC.

They also said how loud it was and that the fans were right on top of the court.  MSU's place doesn't look very "intimate"

If we ever do a reno I hope they continue with the seats being right on top of the court because I do agree that it offers a great competitive advantage (also great for fans to be close to the court), but it doesn't change the fact that we are overdue for a facelift of the ARC to improve the fan experience and stay competitive with the league. Facilities don't hurt for recruiting either.

valpo64

VU2014, I like what you are saying!   The Athletic Dept and the University have ALOT of work to do in getting game prep, ARC prep (sound, lighting, etc., Todd being pushed upstairs)
and ARC renovation up to speed.  I was there  about 45 minutes before the MSU game started and it was like I was in a  junior high building.  COME ON VALPO, LET'S START ACTING LIKE WE ARE IN THE MISSOURI VALLEY CONFERENCE...oh, we already are.  WELL LET'S GET WITH IT!!!!  The way things have been run lately would make one think we are in the Summit League.  It is one thing to be the newest member of the Valley but it's another thing to be the newest joke of the Conference.   In many respects this has been a very disappointing season.

vufan75

Quote from: valpo64 on January 03, 2018, 02:24:51 PM
VU2014, I like what you are saying!   The Athletic Dept and the University have ALOT of work to do in getting game prep, ARC prep (sound, lighting, etc., Todd being pushed upstairs)
and ARC renovation up to speed.  I was there  about 45 minutes before the MSU game started and it was like I was in a  junior high building.  COME ON VALPO, LET'S START ACTING LIKE WE ARE IN THE MISSOURI VALLEY CONFERENCE...oh, we already are.  WELL LET'S GET WITH IT!!!!  The way things have been run lately would make one think we are in the Summit League.  It is one thing to be the newest member of the Valley but it's another thing to be the newest joke of the Conference.   In many respects this has been a very disappointing season.
64. Could not agree more. Like your spirit and [emoji91]. Some improvement is long overdue but never a real priority it seems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on January 03, 2018, 02:00:14 PM

I'm watching the UNI @ MSU game right now.  I totally agree that the ARC is way more "intimate" than MSU's arena.  The ARC fans are also closer to the court, especially when they bring in those temporary bleachers on the baseline for big games. 

valpo64

I love the close atmosphere of the ARC.  It is definitely an advantage for us.  We need to keep that in place but with other improvements like chairback seating on the lower level and expanding the upper north side I think we will have a great "Home" game atmosphere.  I'm sure the Administration knows what needs to be done it is just that many of us are too impatient.  By the way more restrooms and  concession stands would be nice too.   :)

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on January 05, 2018, 10:24:25 AM
I love the close atmosphere of the ARC.  It is definitely an advantage for us.  We need to keep that in place but with other improvements like chairback seating on the lower level and expanding the upper north side I think we will have a great "Home" game atmosphere.  I'm sure the Administration knows what needs to be done[7 c/b] it is just that many of us are too impatient.  By the way more restrooms and  concession stands would be nice too.   :)

I think Mark LaBarbera & Co. knows what needs to be done but I'm honestly not sure if the higher ups & particular board members do...

But agreed we're all probably getting a little impatient. I just really want to see this program continue to grow and advance itself. Renovations would  not only just make the fans happy & enhance the overall fan experience for casuals but it also sells good assistant coaches on coming to work for your program and also helps sell recruits on visits.

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on January 05, 2018, 10:40:32 AM
Quote from: valpo64 on January 05, 2018, 10:24:25 AM
I love the close atmosphere of the ARC.  It is definitely an advantage for us.  We need to keep that in place but with other improvements like chairback seating on the lower level and expanding the upper north side I think we will have a great "Home" game atmosphere.  I'm sure the Administration knows what needs to be done[7 c/b] it is just that many of us are too impatient.  By the way more restrooms and  concession stands would be nice too.   :)

I think Mark LaBarbera & Co. knows what needs to be done but I'm honestly not sure if the higher ups & particular board members do...

But agreed we're all probably getting a little impatient. I just really want to see this program continue to grow and advance itself. Renovations would  not only just make the fans happy & enhance the overall fan experience for casuals but it also sells good assistant coaches on come to work your program and also helps sell recruits on visits.

I always find it amusing when someone suggests others are "impatient" about facilities. I remember a number of discussions on this list about how the administration squandered the opportunity offered when Valpo made the Sweet Sixteen and received national recognition nearly two decades ago. We also had conversations on this list about excitement concerning the move to the MVC as another opportunity within a limited window to elevate and promote the program, but it also appears that is being squandered as well and complacency has already set in. Except for the banners of MVC schools replacing HL schools on the ARC wall, it seems as if nothing else has changed.