• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 03, 2018, 12:42:30 PM
The ARC is not air conditioned? Seriously? At this day and age?

Do even 50% of our buildings have AC?  Come on guys, this is a UNIVERSITY that has a basketball habit.  Not the other way.

Alumni, Lankenau and Brandt residence halls don't even have AC the last I checked.  And they are occupied by humans at all times when school is in session.

You all can really be absurd with your demands.  And yet I get it, but first things first.

crusadermoe

VU62 asked a smartand longstanding question.  Why did Valpo chose to remain division I back in the late 70s but proceed to not leverage its huge success?

That has always been the paradox.  We sustain big operational losses to compete in Divison I.  But we don't really push a priority of gaining revnue through basketball attendance.   ML2 pointed out the expense realities of Division I and limits on students who can be on rosters.

Many of us long expected that a "Flutie effect" would lift the reputation of Valpo and subsequently lift enrollment.  But in 2008 with Heckler's arrival it appears we changed our target student profiile.  International students would not drawn by the excitement of March Madness.and generated a by-product of tuition revenue.  And it appears we also target high school students who may not watch a lick of TV sports or follow current events.  Or they watch it on their phones alone.

It appears that operating a net loss in athletics makes no sense if you don't align it with a target group of students who care about it.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 03, 2018, 01:20:40 PM

Do even 50% of our buildings have AC?  Come on guys, this is a UNIVERSITY that has a basketball habit.  Not the other way.

Alumni, Lankenau and Brandt residence halls don't even have AC the last I checked.  And they are occupied by humans at all times when school is in session.

You all can really be absurd with your demands.  And yet I get it, but first things first.

First things first? You must be kidding. The ARC isn't on a short term list; it isn't on a long term list. It isn't on any list. It isn't next up; it isn't 10th up. It isn't anything. The only way the ARC is going to be upgraded is if someone wins the lottery, wants to pay for it, and can't be convinced by Heckler and the Board to give it to a "more worthy" facility need instead. This discussion is no less a waste of time today than it was 10 years ago.

valpo64

Where is Mr. W. Buffett when we need him?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on February 03, 2018, 03:22:19 PM

First things first? You must be kidding. The ARC isn't on a short term list; it isn't on a long term list. It isn't on any list. It isn't next up; it isn't 10th up. It isn't anything. The only way the ARC is going to be upgraded is if someone wins the lottery, wants to pay for it, and can't be convinced by Heckler and the Board to give it to a "more worthy" facility need instead. This discussion is no less a waste of time today than it was 10 years ago.

Try re-reading my post, that's 180 degrees backward from my meaning.  You make my case.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 03, 2018, 03:42:01 PM

Try re-reading my post, that's 180 degrees backward from my meaning.  You make my case.

Your "first things first" suggests that the ARC is on a master list of projects, and that you agree with it. I'm telling you that the ARC isn't anywhere on a list, short term, long term, or otherwise. If you're saying you agree that upgrading the ARC shouldn't even be a consideration, then I'm making your case for you. Otherwise, you and everyone else are operating on a false premise the Heckler actually intends to do something about the ARC and it's just a matter of timing.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on February 03, 2018, 04:00:49 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 03, 2018, 03:42:01 PM

Your "first things first" suggests that the ARC is on a master list of projects, and that you agree with it. I'm telling you that the ARC isn't anywhere on a list, short term, long term, or otherwise. If you're saying you agree that upgrading the ARC shouldn't even be a consideration, then I'm making your case for you. Otherwise, you and everyone else are operating on a false premise the Heckler actually intends to do something about the ARC and it's just a matter of timing.

First things first means run a University.  Once that's figured out, maybe basketball ends up on a list for a new facility.  I don't believe in "build it and they will come".

Are we going to get 1,000 more avg attendance because of prettiness?  Is winning dependent on a shiny new facility?  I'm not with anyone that says it's 51% of winning.

I am a sports fan, I chose Valpo for small school feeling in a D1 environment (was on football and track team).  Academics were the requirement for me to even consider Valpo back in 2000.  Miami of Ohio has far nicer everything to a young me, but Valpo was the choice because of its quaint smaller campus combined with the prerequisite D1 sports.  Facilities meant less than crap to me, but I wasn't a 4* recruit...

I don't disagree that Valpo missed the boat post "The Shot", but their dorms still sucked, the Union was a joke, the library was dark and dank and there was no real track and field to speak of.  I'm perfectly fine with the universities priorities thus far. 

Short of a major donor we aren't getting zip.  I don't give a _____ what some metro-sexual from ISU has to say about our facilities.  THEY SUCK the short ones....beat us in our high school gym anytime and then maybe we listen.

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 03, 2018, 03:00:11 PM
VU62 asked a smartand longstanding question.  Why did Valpo chose to remain division I back in the late 70s but proceed to not leverage its huge success?

That has always been the paradox.  We sustain big operational losses to compete in Divison I.  But we don't really push a priority of gaining revnue through basketball attendance.   ML2 pointed out the expense realities of Division I and limits on students who can be on rosters.

Many of us long expected that a "Flutie effect" would lift the reputation of Valpo and subsequently lift enrollment.  But in 2008 with Heckler's arrival it appears we changed our target student profiile.  International students would not drawn by the excitement of March Madness.and generated a by-product of tuition revenue.  And it appears we also target high school students who may not watch a lick of TV sports or follow current events.  Or they watch it on their phones alone.

It appears that operating a net loss in athletics makes no sense if you don't align it with a target group of students who care about it.

If I were in charge I'd focus Athletics Department resources heavily on the sports that can "break even" and the "higher profile" college sports. If that meant cutting some sports to save $ and redirect resources I'd be for it. Fulfill all Title IX requirements but cut the fat where you can.

Tier 1:
-Men's Basketball - I'm just being honest but it's the most important sport and should treated that way. It returns the most benefit to the University and the Athletics Department.

Tier 2:
-Football
-Women's Baskeball
-Women's Volleyball
-Baseball
-Softball
-Men's Soccer
-Women's Soccer

Tier 3:
-Men's Tennis
-Women's Tennis
-women's golf
-men's golf

Tier 4:
-women's Track & Field
-men's track & field
-Women's cross country
-men's cross country
-men's swimming
-women's swimming
-bowling

This just how I'd tier things. I'd consider cutting some of the Tier 4 sports to cut costs and redirect those funds to other sports.

2 main requirement to qualify for D1 athletics is:
-Offer at least 14 sports: seven for men and seven for women, or six for men and eight for women
-Offer at least two team sports for men and two for women

Men's Varsity Sports
Scholarship limit per School    NCAA I
Baseball   11.7
Basketball 13
Cross Country - NCAA limits include Track & Field   12.6
Football 0 (pioneer league)
Golf   4.5
Soccer   9.9
Swimming & Diving   9.9
Tennis   4.5
Track & Field - NCAA limits include X-Country   12.6

Women's Varsity Sports                   
Scholarship limit per School    NCAA I
Basketball 15
Bowling   5
Cross Country - NCAA limits include Track & Field   18
Golf   6
Soccer   14
Softball   12
Swimming & Diving   14
Tennis  - NCAA I is a head count sport   8
Track & Field - NCAA limits include X-Country   18
Volleyball 12

VULB#62

Key here, I think, is that most,if not all, of your list Tier 4 sports are essentially non-scholarship. And some of the Tier 3 are not fullt funded for scholarships either. The numbers you list are MAXIMUMS and those team bring in enrollees who pay tuition etc.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 03, 2018, 05:17:16 PM
Key here, I think, is that most,if not all, of your list Tier 4 sports are essentially non-scholarship. And some of the Tier 3 are not fullt funded for scholarships either. The numbers you list are MAXIMUMS and those team bring in enrollees who pay tuition etc.

T & F looks to have 65 athletes for example.  Say they pay $15,000 each at a minimum...that's $975,000 a year.  I can promise you the budget is less than that.

But I like solutions, and they don't happen first without discussion.  Sometimes I need to respect that we all put ourself out there with ideas.  Personally, I don't think a healthy sports variety is a detriment to the budget when most sports aren't operating at a loss (or big loss anyways).  It's part of a thriving university environment.

usc4valpo

I am not remarking that the ARC needs an upgrade, but I certainly am surprised in 2018 that our main athletic facility does not have Air conditioning. It gets used all year if I am not mistaken! I bet all other hoop and athletic facilities in the MVC have cooling other than Valpo.

Eugene Krabs is alive and well with the university board.

M

I blew my arm out against then Tri State University when I pitched for then PNC.

I wonder which of sports (if any) bring in more money then they spend....🤔

wh

As some may recall, ml was asked in a local interview shortly after the move to the MVC if any assurances had been made to the MVC regarding facility improvements. ml replied that no assurances were provided. He was then asked if there is anything in the works for the future. He again said no, and added that he and mh haven't even talked about it. He also made some correlation to "fan comforts."  So, those who feel that improving the ARC should be a low priority Have no fear. It's not even a twinkle in mh's eye.

VU2014

If facility improvements were mandatory VU wouldn't even have been consider to get a invite.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on February 03, 2018, 09:10:01 PM
If facility improvements were mandatory VU wouldn't even have been consider to get a invite.
If the MVC had mandated future facility improvements 5 years ago before we would be reconsidered, then obviously we wouldn't have been reconsidered. If the MVC mandated future facility improvements last year as a requirement to join the league, it wasn't obvious to anyone that we wouldn't have agreed to join under those conditions. It only became obvious after PO asked ml in the interview I referenced. That's the only way any of us have a clue. Now we know 2 things: (1) Valpo is not committed to doing anything to improve its athletic venue, and (2) Valpo has no intention of violating its non-commitment.

vu72

Quote from: wh on February 04, 2018, 04:49:16 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 03, 2018, 09:10:01 PM
If the MVC had mandated future facility improvements 5 years ago before we would be reconsidered, then obviously we wouldn't have been reconsidered. If the MVC mandated future facility improvements last year as a requirement to join the league, it wasn't obvious to anyone that we wouldn't have agreed to join under those conditions. It only became obvious after PO asked ml in the interview I referenced. That's the only way any of us have a clue.

If it isn't obvious by now, let me clear things up:  The Missouri Valley basketball conference did not invite Valparaiso University to join their Conference because of Valparaiso Universities facilities.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 02, 2018, 09:22:23 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on February 02, 2018, 08:57:50 PMMost people who know of Valparaiso U. have no idea that the Law School is  out...and for that matter they don't care.  It is a non-issue as far as I am concerned.  As for the ARC, the renovations will come when a big time giver(s) is found, just like the way the Trine facilities were built.
Maybe that is true but I challenge the big time giver idea. I believe that Tri-State/Trine freaking  did it by saying "what the hell, go for it" and just opened the checkbook,  And in less than 10 years doubled their enrollment while significantly improving their campus and brand. And they are D-III!!!! And it appears that part of their strategy was to open satellite campuses. That is the same strategy that Concordia Wisconsin used  to get their enrollment over 5000.

Tri-State (Trine) turned the corner when they hired football coach Dale Carlson to run the program!

NativeCheesehead

Hey. If the Eagles can win the Super Bowl, we can get a ARC upgrade. Anything is now possible.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 04, 2018, 09:28:37 PM
Hey. If the Eagles can win the Super Bowl, we can get a ARC upgrade. Anything is now possible.

President Heckler and Valparaiso University Board of Directors...

NativeCheesehead

Those laughs seem a bit too innocent. I picture it more like......

VULB#62

Hey, I have come to the point where I am OK with the ARC in its present form.  It is what it is.  In comparison to the other 9 venues in the MVC, it is by far the least appealing.  So be it.  It will always attract cynical criticism from our conference mates.  We've moved up to a better conference and, in doing so, initially dropped to the bottom of this conference in both record and venue quality.  We can't do much about the latter it seems, but we can change the former.  Just win baby!  If we do that the ARC drifts into the background.  A problem I see with that approach, however, is that our BB staff will always be put into a handicap situation in recruiting when showing our gym to recruits.  When displaying our gym to prospects, they start out in a bit of a hole (in comparison to other MVC facilities) and have to dig their way out by emphasizing other features of our program and university.  It's not a level recruiting field, and Matt just needs to make the best of it.

M

As a former athlete, I'd say playing time is probably the #1 driving factor in where a recruit goes.  #2 would be can this school get me to the next level (whether that be in athletics or in my field of study).  If 1 and 2 are both a yes, then it would probably come down to relationships and facilities.

vu72

Quote from: M on February 05, 2018, 08:42:08 AM
As a former athlete, I'd say playing time is probably the #1 driving factor in where a recruit goes.  #2 would be can this school get me to the next level (whether that be in athletics or in my field of study).  If 1 and 2 are both a yes, then it would probably come down to relationships and facilities.

Couldn't agree more.  If facilities were the key factor, Nebraska would be Champions (heck, they have TVs in the bathroom stalls) and Duke would constantly struggle with their old "gym".  Being successful can be a good thing (great to be part of a winning tradition) or a bad thing (sure doesn't look like I'll get any playing time).

Both Daniel Sackey and Javon Freeman were scheduled for multiple visits and cancelled them after seeing our "facilities".  I think the bigger complaint from our conference mates would be the intense atmosphere they face at the ARC.  Not so much this year but ask Florida State how much they enjoyed coming to the ARC.  Having a nice venue that is half full is not what we want even if the fans can get a martini and a massage.  What we faced at SIU is a different story.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Having good coaches and a good program are the most important thing but let's not completely dismiss that have nice facilities help in recruiting to 17-18 year kids. Homer was pleading for improvements for years for a reason. We have a good thing going but it could possibly be even better.

valpo64

Winning puts butts in the seats.  However a few ammenities for the time being(chairbacks, restrooms, concession stgands,etc.) would help.  Let's be honest, a visiting team playing in front of a capacity or near capacity crown  in the ARC can be a BIG advantage to the Crusaders no matter who we are playing.   Promotions, promotions, promotions!   They should include both the students and general public.