• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 01, 2018, 09:03:08 PM
One of the biggest benefits of moving to the MVC was shown by Loyola's run: if we and the rest of the conference can keep the success going and rack up more units it will be easier to complete some of the main upgrades we have been clamoring for: the extra money could help finance dorm renovations which will attract more students and tuition dollars which helps the rec center come to fruition and finally ARC RENOVATIONS! I realize that without big donations this is still years away but I can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't think we're ever going to be able to fund renovations solely on tourney units. It's a nice surplus that goes a long way to funding the program but not near the amount we'd need to get renovations or to put up new buildings. Any reno or building will either need to be funded by debt or a wealthy/generous donor. There is a rumor that their working on an alumni to fund the potential rec center and it may be possible in the relatively near future. I feel like we're a long ways away from seeing a renovation. Potentially a decade(s?).

VUGrad1314

Well let's at least use the money and the profile boost to start some quality home and home series and buy some quality home games.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 01, 2018, 09:31:03 PM
Well let's at least use the money and the profile boost to start some quality home and home series and buy some quality home games.

I wonder if the Athletics Department or Coaching Staff have ever seriously considered buying home games with other mid-majors? It's very rare for mid-majors to buy games but I know Gonzaga and St. Mary's does. I don't know what the going rate is. I heard Butler paid $50,000 for low-major teams to play them at hinkle fieldhouse. BU can pull off those crap games because they have BE tv $ coming in and they can sell it to their fans because they have a BE Conf slate of games on the back end of regular season schedule. I just don't think we're in a position to be doing buy games. I'd think we're better off just doing H-&-H's with other quality mids. We might be better served putting that $ back into the program by way of recruiting budget & hiring the best coaches/staff possible. That would probably go a longer way towards furthering the teams goals.

VU2014

Dear President Heckler: "If you build it, Roy will come"  ;)

https://twitter.com/SethOnHoops/status/985938397918359554

ValpoDad89

Looks like Loyola already capitalizing on the FF success and building an $18MM practice facility on campus per today's Chicago Sun Times...

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/04/22/porter-mosers-overlooked-coaching-strength-recruiting/

EddieCabot

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 23, 2018, 08:46:38 AM
Looks like Loyola already capitalizing on the FF success and building an $18MM practice facility on campus per today's Chicago Sun Times...

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/04/22/porter-mosers-overlooked-coaching-strength-recruiting/

The practice facility well planned and announced before the Final Four appearance.

usc4valpo

I really like what Loyola is doing and where they are headed. I wonder how their doing regarding recruiting. They have tremendous momentum right now and their are taking advantage of it. I wish Valpo would have done the same 20 years ago.

NativeCheesehead

Practice facilities are overrated. Duke practices at Cameron Indoor. Difference being they only share that with Women's bball and Volleyball.

The Valpo equivalent would be building an IM fieldhouse so the ARC can be made to be used for just varsity sports.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 23, 2018, 01:09:11 PM
Practice facilities are overrated. Duke practices at Cameron Indoor. Difference being they only share that with Women's bball and Volleyball.

The Valpo equivalent would be building an IM fieldhouse so the ARC can be made to be used for just varsity sports.

Practice facilities aren't everything but those things differ in importance to recruits. There is a reason the Drews were pushing the University for ARC improvements... We don't have a dedicated facility just for our student athletes. We need to get that Student Rec Center, not only for the Student Body but also for our athletes. Those things impact recruiting.

We finally joined the 21st century and got Air Conditioning in the hilltop gym. That is huge for multiple reasons.

We're so far behind our conference-mates in terms of facilities. It's an uphill battle. Doesn't mean we can't win the league eventually but let's not kid ourselves that having facility upgrades wouldn't be a recruiting pitch from the coaching staff if we had them in the works like Loyola does.

usc4valpo

I would bet that Cameron indoor stadium has air conditioning!

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 23, 2018, 01:09:11 PM

I'm pretty sure Hilltop is now dedicated to only Men's and Women's basketball and maybe Volleyball.  Oh, softball does have hitting cages upstairs there as well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Where's the money coming from?  If Valpo wants to be a functioning UNIVERSITY in 15-years they need to manage their debt while addressing glaring holes (outdated dorms, academic halls and an actual student rec center).

Someone mentioned $140,000,000 in updates over the last two VU presi(debts) terms.  If that's true we have a sizable monthly nut to overcome on past building obligations.  Not sure that includes the amazing list our peers generated of work done since the 2000's even, but I'm assuming it does.

Do Universities offer municipal type bonds for financing debt?  Clearly we aren't a city nor are we public, but what's the main avenue for getting the cheddar for such upgrades for a private U?

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 23, 2018, 06:02:32 PM
Someone mentioned $140,000,000 in updates over the last two VU presi(debts) terms.  If that's true we have a sizable monthly nut to overcome on past building obligations.  Not sure that includes the amazing list our peers generated of work done since the 2000's even, but I'm assuming it does.

I believe most of the new buildings/projects on campus were funded through donations. The one build I know that was funded with debt was the College of Arts & Sciences building.

crusader05

Both new academic buildings as well as the Sorority houses and Beacon were all funded fully or partially by the Bonds. From what I understand they are relatively low risk and have a very low interest rate so they are not viewed as a negative regarding the overall financial health of the university. I think the University's current financial crunch is probably more in relation to year to year budgets just in regards to their desire to increase both numbers of students and increase academic prestige of the students as that usually requires more financial aid and most yearly budgets are based on tuition. That's also why the endowment is so important. The more faculty positions and programs get funded through that, the more room to play with dollars allows for more student aid or smaller projects like the new landscaping and renovations of the freshman dorms.

crusadermoe

President Harre raised donor gifts to cover the WHOLE cost of three major buidlings:  the VUCA, the library, and the student union. He and his board did not borrow a cent of the costs.

By contrast it would appear that President Heckler MAY have only built two smaller projects with gifts (Duesenberg center and chapel addition at a combined $20 million)  The trouble with borrowing is that the money isn't free.  How much of the current budget is required to pay for the debt-financed construction?  Thank the students when you see them.

crusader05

while it's true borrowing isn't free Harre's reluctance to not build unless all money was raised is partly why we are in a situation where we have massive needs for new buildings both academic and residential.

usc4valpo

Valpo has a history of being overly frugal.

VU2014

Post financial crisis was the time to be borrowing money because of the historically low interest rate environment the economy was in. We still are in a low interest rate environment but rates will likely be going up over the 5-10 years and borrowing will become more expensive.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on April 25, 2018, 09:17:35 AM
Post financial crisis was the time to be borrowing money because of the historically low interest rate environment the economy was in. We still are in a low interest rate environment but rates will likely be going up over the 5-10 years and borrowing will become more expensive.

Seeing that President Heckler took office during the worst part of the financial crisis and all the previously mentioned buildings, where borrowed funds were used, were built since then, it is now obvious that you are clearly supporting the Board's financial management!   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

Fair enough.  Yes, he did inherit a window of low interest rates that made it a good time to borrow IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT.

But even at zero percent you have to pay it back.

I simply ask how much per year the board is paying back to bondholders?  Is that inhibiting annual cash flow now?

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 25, 2018, 07:37:23 PM
Fair enough.  Yes, he did inherit a window of low interest rates that made it a good time to borrow IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT.

But even at zero percent you have to pay it back.

I simply ask how much per year the board is paying back to bondholders?  Is that inhibiting annual cash flow now?

Also fair enough.  Here is the issue and one the Board faces when making these decisions:"If we don't take the risk, how many kids, paying part or full tuition, won't pick Valpo?"  When students or parents can't find where they are suppose to meet their hosts on a first visit or there simply aren't dorms with air-conditioning, or, STEM students visit a building which has cold air blowing through it in the winter, or...  How many students, choosing other institutions, if choosing Valpo, would more then make up for the bond issue payments?  Welcome to the Board Room at Valparaiso University.

NativeCheesehead

I would imagine just about every University in the country borrows money to fund some projects.

VULB#62

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 26, 2018, 06:34:00 AM
I would imagine just about every University in the country borrows money to fund some projects.

The key is selecting which projects to borrow for.  One likely scenario for borrowing is for a facility that could be a revenue generator that can offset some or all of the debt liability.  I can't think of any such facility right now, but that would be worth looking into  ::)  ;)