• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

#7 Wisconsin-Green Bay vs. #10 Iowa State

Started by valporun, March 12, 2012, 06:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

Green Bay will be going to Ames, Iowa to play the Cyclones in what is slated as the Phoenix being the home team at Hilton Coliseum, where the Cyclones play. This is the 7-10 matchup in the bracket that features Kentucky as the #2 seed, and UConn as the #1 seed. I tried to look at the bracket about this, but the NCAA didn't have it on their site totally filled out, nor did ESPN.

I did hear Kara Lawson say that she feels Green Bay, with a 30-1 record, should be seeded higher than #7. I have to agree, but much like the NIT, the women's tourney goes more by conference and who will draw money for the bracket. Even though the games are on campus sites until the Sweet 16, with the Final Four in Denver, the Big 6 conferences see all the gate advantages to hosting here.

sectionee

They got hosed! Ranked #10 in the  country and you get a 7 seed, ouch!  Saw Delaware had the same record and is a 3 or 4 seed.  Oh well

StlVUFan

As flawed as men's bball is, it is nowhere near as pathetic as women's bball when March rolls around.  Goes for the punditry too.  I'd sooner listen to Jay Bilas than the typical talking heads on the women's side.  As uneven as men's bball is, it's the very model of fairness compared to women's bball.

StlVUFan

This has been a brain fart kind of day for me.  I just now picked up on the home court thing.  It was enough to get my ire up that they would be playing close to home.

So, selection committee, let me get this straight: the TENTH SEED gets to be the home team??????????  The 2 and 7 seeds can pound salt?

How is this not a complete and utter joke?

valpotx

That sounds absolutely ridiculous!  They have to play at ISU??  I am sure GB could have a good crowd if they were the home team, like they should be...
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: sectionee on March 12, 2012, 07:55:17 PM
They got hosed! Ranked #10 in the  country and you get a 7 seed, ouch!  Saw Delaware had the same record and is a 3 or 4 seed.  Oh well
East Coast big conference bias on the Delaware seeding and seeding in general.  It also doesn't hurt that they have Elena Delle Donne.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

The host schools were selected before the seeds, so the host arenas/schools could plan ahead. The women's tourney always goes with the host being from a Big 6 school because they'll have the ample facilities to host two games in their "pod" system. Delaware got screwed because they are Delaware. A "small school" in a lost state to the NCAA. For Green Bay, it does suck, but if Valpo was in the same position, they would have to travel somewhere too. I still don't understand why GB was underseeded, after only have 1 loss all season? As stated above, the East Coast bias might have had something to do with that, plus not being a Big 6 school, no one knows enough about them since they are not on ESPN until the HL Championship game.

StlVUFan

Yeah, I know it's not a conspiracy.  It is however a joke.  For all I know, it's one reason why women's bball is widely viewed as irrelevant.

VUfan

valporun

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 13, 2012, 12:56:39 PM
Yeah, I know it's not a conspiracy.  It is however a joke.  For all I know, it's one reason why women's bball is widely viewed as irrelevant.

That and the fact that 99.5% of the women's game is played below the rim. Griner being the only one in the NCAA who might dunk the ball. Plus, if it weren't for the 30 second shot clock, you'd have a lot of low-scoring women's game, ala the Colorado state championship game that was won with a final score of 16-7 over the weekend.