• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Butler at Penn

Started by agibson, March 19, 2012, 03:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Anyone going to follow the game tonight?

On Valpo Comcast I don't think we get HDNet.  Are there other options?

valporun

You might get HDNet, but it would be in the HD-bundle of channels.

StlVUFan

I've got it scheduled on my DVR, hopefully can follow it live.

agibson

Here we go.  The Butler board eventually put together a game thread.

Audio at
http://www.1070thefan.com/other/player.htm

staxawax

It was the ugliest game I've seen in a long, long time.  Butler vs. Pitt Wednesday........ if the Bulldogs play like this again it will be a 30 point beatdown by the Panthers.

bbtds

If you don't have HDnet, and even if you live in Indy and don't have HDnet you didn't see the game, Butler lost in OT to Pitt at Hinkle 68-62. Rosie Jones missed 2 FT's at the end of the game and 2 FT's early in the OT. Couldn't have happened to a better team.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on March 22, 2012, 01:24:55 PM
If you don't have HDnet, and even if you live in Indy and don't have HDnet you didn't see the game, Butler lost in OT to Pitt at Hinkle 68-62. Rosie Jones missed 2 FT's at the end of the game and 2 FT's early in the OT. Couldn't have happened to a better team.

Does this mean they're gone now?  If so, I think '04 should call for at least a 2 second moment of silence in recognition of everything Butler so selflessly did for the Horizon League.  Personally, I will always be grateful that their conf. championships and NCAA runs have had a greater positive impact on our recruiting than on their own.  One last cheer for the Butler effect!  ;)

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on March 22, 2012, 03:47:27 PM

Does this mean they're gone now?  If so, I think '04 should call for at least a 2 second moment of silence in recognition of everything Butler so selflessly did for the Horizon League.  Personally, I will always be grateful that their conf. championships and NCAA runs have had a greater positive impact on our recruiting than on their own.  One last cheer for the Butler effect!  ;)

Cheers back at ya!   :cheers:

On a serious note, attribute it to whatever you want, but Valpo truly has stepped up their level of play and appear to be dominating on the recruiting front also.  Butler is struggling to close the gap on Valpo, but when Valpo is bringing in a multitude of transfers from BCS schools, I don't see how Butler can catch up by relying on their incoming class of 3 unproven high school kids. 

Not sure if we'll be around, but maybe in a few years when all your seniors and juniors are gone, Butler might be able to compete again.  I guess we'll see.

agibson

Funny, I missed the game entirely!  I was even home.  Surfing TV reruns or something.  Grading papers.

Gametime

Quote from: bbtds on March 22, 2012, 01:24:55 PMIf Cheers back at ya!   :cheers:

On a serious note, attribute it to whatever you want, but Valpo truly has stepped up their level of play and appear to be dominating on the recruiting front also.  Butler is struggling to close the gap on Valpo, but when Valpo is bringing in a multitude of transfers from BCS schools, I don't see how Butler can catch up by relying on their incoming class of 3 unproven high school kids. 

Not sure if we'll be around, but maybe in a few years when all your seniors and juniors are gone, Butler might be able to compete again.  I guess we'll see.

Butler has a 5th year senior joining them next year. He is one of the best 3pt shooters in the nation.

They still have some talent coming in with a lot of shooters. This will make them much harder to defend. No longer will teams be able to crowd the paint and dare someone from Butler to shoot.

agibson

Here I thought Eddie was trolling again...

wh

Quote from: Gametime on March 22, 2012, 11:31:15 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 22, 2012, 01:24:55 PMIf Cheers back at ya!   :cheers:

Butler has a 5th year senior joining them next year. He is one of the best 3pt shooters in the nation.

They still have some talent coming in with a lot of shooters. This will make them much harder to defend. No longer will teams be able to crowd the paint and dare someone from Butler to shoot.

I hope you guys know I was just kidding around (see wink on my post).  I am well aware of BU's new infusion of talented players.

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on March 23, 2012, 10:56:40 AM
I hope you guys know I was just kidding around (see wink on my post).

And from the beers in my post, I hope you could tell I was drunk.  :)

bbtds

Quote from: Gametime on March 22, 2012, 11:31:15 PM

There's something Rotten (or should I say Rotnei) about that guy. He, like a lot of good shooters, must be able to get open for his shots and his team mates must be able to get him the ball. How good has Broekhoff been when he can't get the ball?

valporun

Quote from: bbtds on March 23, 2012, 07:34:15 PMHow good has Broekhoff been when he can't get the ball?

Rowdy wasn't the best when all of his ways of getting the ball were blocked off, so instead of getting frustrated with no being to get around to get the ball. He would make sure that he was able to get into some position to get the rebound, or get someone else open to get the ball.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on March 23, 2012, 09:28:58 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 23, 2012, 07:34:15 PMHow good has Broekhoff been when he can't get the ball?

Rowdy wasn't the best when all of his ways of getting the ball were blocked off, so instead of getting frustrated with no being to get around to get the ball. He would make sure that he was able to get into some position to get the rebound, or get someone else open to get the ball.

Nothing against Rowdy, just saying that anyone, no matter how good, can be neutralized with great defense

vu72

Quote from: valporun on March 23, 2012, 09:28:58 PM

The reason Rowdy was the POY was that when he couldn't get his shot off he contributed in many other ways.  As an example, against Ohio State he only had 7 points but got 11 rebounds. Doubt This new guy for Butler will be able to do that if his shot is off.  We'll see...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015