• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Indiana 4A State Championship

Started by bbtds, March 25, 2012, 01:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

If you are RJ Hunter of Pike Twp (northwest side of Indy, roughly I-465, on north and 38th St on south) I think you are glad your dad, Ron Hunter, Georgia State coach, was not at the state championship game in Bankers Life last night. I just didn't get the feeling that RJ left it all out on the floor like Gardner of Carmel did. I can't believe Ron would have been happy at all about his son's effort. I realize that RJ was showing signs of illness but don't you think in Ron's mind "if you can play, you can give great effort" is his motto?

Congrats to Carmel on their 108th state championship in all sports.

valporun

I didn't see the game last night, but this intrigues me to go to ESPN3, and check out the replay of it. I'm guessing RJ Hunter must be a senior at Pike, since he didn't go to Georgia with dad?

On a sidenote, the PBS station in Chicago, WTTW, aired 'Hoosiers' as their 9PM movie. Found it appropriate on the day that Indiana was hosting their boy's state championship games.

wh

VULB#62

WH - Replying to your second post and second link.

Brockton, MA (#4) is two towns away from me out here in the northeast.  It is colossal in size -- the FB stadium almost rivals some some small towns in Texas [  ;-) to Valpotx  ].  Incredibly, they still lose a game or two every year in a variety of sports. 

BTW - Interesting observation:  Carmel only has 4% of it's students on the lunch-aid program.  Don't know what Brockton's current %age is, but I'll' bet 20%.  But that's the Mid-West for you -- not a bad area of the country to call home.

valpo04

Quote from: wh on March 25, 2012, 03:06:46 PM
Quote from: wh on March 25, 2012, 10:54:26 AM
Carmel has many advantages, not the least of which is this one:

http://high-schools.com/report/in/public-school-enrollment-rank-in-indiana.html

Carmel 6th largest HS in U.S.:

http://education.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-high-schools/rankings/largest-enrollment-list

It's not the 6th largest in the country, it's the 6th largest to be ranked as a best high school by US News.

According to this list, it is 17th (and actually ranked higher than the #1 on US News' list.)

Interestingly, the list you provided has Brooklyn Tech at 4,469, but the list I found has them at #1 with 8,076 students!  They get their data from the National Center for Educational Statistics.

valpotx

That definitely is not a list of the largest high schools as you mention.  There are several schools here in area with 4,000-5,000 students.  In regards to stadium size, I would like to see what Brockton has since you winked at me :).  It is routine to get 10,000+ fans at some football games here in area...
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

I've probably exposed the "elistist" Carmel area for what I consider "unusual" behavior the most in the past.

Here is some very positive stuff about Carmel-Clay School Corp and their help for West Clark Community Schools (Henryville) after their tornado disaster.

http://www1.ccs.k12.in.us/district/community-connections/helping

bbtds

By the way Henryville Elementary school opened this past Wednesday at the former Graceland Christian School in New Albany. They had 30 unused classrooms. It's roughly 20 miles from Henryville. The first day was spent just talking about their tornado experiences and relating news about how people they knew were effected. It was also the state wide tornado drill day which seemed odd yet appropriate.

The Henryville Junior-Senior High School is moving to Mid-America Science Park in Scottsburg which is about 10 miles. Which is pretty much right across I-65 from Scottsburg HS just south of the Scottsburg exit. There is a huge building effort going on at Scottsburg to get the facility opened in time to finish out the school year for the graduating seniors. I heard the State Superintendent is over seeing each Henryville senior's individual case so that it does not effect their college prospects. The State Superintendent, Tony Bennett, is a former superintendent of Henryville schools. They hope to open the jr-sr. high school on April 2 and will not have a spring break other than what they have had to clean up their tornado ravaged town while waiting for their new school facility to open.

http://newsandtribune.com/local/x715444578/School-s-abuzz-again-Elementary-students-have-first-post-tornado-day-at-former-New-Albany-school